Epic Zombie Mayhem of Doom and Stuff (also known as Z-Day)

Ferris crept up the ramp, his head barely clearing the top when he heard the even breathing of sleep. He smirked, "What a wimp," he whispered, and went back to the house.
Ferris's first waking thought was that someone was in the room. He tensed, and cracked one eye open.
"Feeeerrrriiiissssss..."
Ferris shot his eyes open. "Oh, thank goodness, it's just you, Kyler. Didn't your mom ever tell you not to sneak up on a Marine?"
"Nope!" Kyler grinned, "Molly says she wants to see you and check your leg because you weren't using your crutch yesterday."
"Damn," he grumbled, 'I forgot. Okay. Thanks, buddy."

Himiko woke up with a huge kink in her neck from using Basco as a pillow. She groaned as she got up, she hadn't slept that well in ages. She got up a did some stretches and changed clothing before heading into the house for food. She walked into the house and right into Ferris.

"Watch yourself, girlie." Ferris chuckled. "I think Kelly needs your help with something in the kitchen." He skirted past her, edging toward the door. "Good luck."

Good luck? Good luck with what? Himiko wondered as she walked into the kitchen and was ambushed by Kelly. It sent Himiko into a spasm and and she nearly stabbed Kelly. "Jeez Kelly," Himiko panted, "Don't do that." She replaced her knife and frowned at the now terrified Kelly. "What do you want?"

"You and Jennifer. Talk. Now." Kelly said, smiling, and scrambled from the room leaving a very confused-looking Himiko. Jennifer emerged from around the corner. "Hello, Himiko."

"Hello, Jennifer," Himiko said, "Is there something you wanted to talk about?" She said it as cheerily as possible but it sounded forced.

"Yes... Well, that is... I don't want to. But I need to." She sat at the table and cleared her throat. "About fifteen years ago, my older sister and her husband adopted a little Chinese girl, Mei. She was beautiful. Smart as a whip. Creative... I loved her. After my brother-in-law died, my sister started drinking, and Mei spent more and more time at my house to escape it. Eventually, we gave her her own room. She had been out with friends when Z-Day hit, and not long after she got home, she reanimated." Jennifer closed her eyes, her head hanging, and her shoulders shook with ill-suppressed emotion. "My husband had to shoot her. I begged... I begged him not to. He listened for a minute while I tried to get through to her. She bit my husband. I left the room before he shot her. And then himself." She sobbed. "I guess... the reason I'm so hard on you is because you remind me of her. And I don't want to lose Mei again."

Himiko listened to Jennifer's story and felt bad for not asking about it sooner. She was lost for words and simply launched herself across the room and gave Jennifer a hug. "I'm so sorry," Himiko said.

Jennifer gasped, taken aback by Himiko's sudden show of affection. "It's all right. I should be the one apologizing. I've been so unfair to you, and you really are such a big help. I should have told you sooner.

Himiko pulled away and shook her head, "I never bothered to ask about it." She looked up at Jennifer and gave her a pat on the back, "I promise I'm careful and I make sure I'm prepared for everything." Himiko said trying to reassure Jennifer.

Ferris walked in then, "You girls all patched up, then?" He grinned. He'd been listening at the door, prepared to jump to the rescue if Jennifer attacked Himiko again. So he heard Jennifer's sobs, and intervened before either of them could shed a tear. He hated crying women.

"Where you listening through the door?" Himiko asked Ferris rather upset, this was a privet moment between her and Jennifer.

"No way!" Ferris said, "What do you take me for?" But he could tell that Himiko didn't believe him.

Himiko glared at him, but she knew there was no winning. "So, what did Molly say about your leg?"

"'As long as you feel like you can handle it,' and 'Take it easy.' So I guess I'm okay to come with you, as long as you still want my company...". Ferris grinned hopefully.

"As long as you don't do anything stupid," Himiko said, a sly smile on her face.

"Who me? Never." Ferris said, and moved to lean against the door frame. Unfortunately, he missed, and fell through the door, landing with a solid thud ​on the living room carpet.

"Or anything like that," Himiko laughed, "Well I have weapons to sharpen and arrows to finish assembling. I'll see you at dinner." She gave one last hug to Jen and skipped out the door dodging Ferris's body.

Ferris pushed himself up with his elbows, "I take it that the talk went well?" He looked up to see Jennifer nod, and smiled, easing himself the rest of the way up. "Great."
Sunday morning, at breakfast, Father McMarsh asked, "Ferris, my boy, will you be joining us at our Sunday service?"
"Uh... Well... I thought I'd go help Himiko with last minute preparations before the raid."
"I see. Well, we will miss you."
Ferris nodded, and as soon as he finished eating, he made a swift escape to the barn, seeking Himiko.

Himiko lead Basco to the river and began to bathe him. Constantly looking about for any signs of danger. Basco, however, was less worried and splashed at the bubbles that floated down the river.