Epic Zombie Mayhem of Doom and Stuff (also known as Z-Day)

Ferris approached eagerly, looking over the guns with a keen eye, "Hell, I'll take all of them." Ferris smiled again, "I can always use more firepower." He held up an AK-47, "Got shot by one of these, and I still love it."

"Take them I don't want them," Himiko said, her breath catching when Ferris talked about getting shot, "Oh, you probably want the ammo for them too." She climbed up to a small ledge in the corner and reached up searching for the boxes she put them in. Himiko tired to take another step but slipped.

Ferris leaped to his feet, reaching out to catch Himiko before she hit the ground. For a fleeting moment, he considered that the hay would cushion her fall, but he already had her in his arms. "Careful!'

Himiko's face turned bright red and she avoided eye contact with Ferris. She tried speaking but no words formed. She covered her face with her hands and shook her head.

Ferris raised an eyebrow, puzzled by Himiko's embarrassment. "Everyone falls sometimes..." he laughed awkwardly. I thought she was tiny before... he thought. But as he looked down at her he noticed how tiny she really was. She's like a toy. He let her go, hoping she had gained steady footing. "Are you all right?"

Himiko nodded once she was on her feet, "Yeah." She had no idea why she felt so embarrassed, she should have just laughed it off. She let out an awkward laugh then sighed, "Lets try that again." She climbed up to the ledge again, this time being more careful.

Ferris accepted the ammunition gratefully, holding the gun expertly. "Excellent," he sighed, "It feels good not to feel powerless, you know?" Ferris scratched absently at a spot on his side, where, underneath his shirt, lay a puckered pink scar where once was a gaping hole crated by shrapnel.

"What are you scratching at?" Himiko asked, batting his hand away so she could see. Without thinking too much she lifted his shirt and gasped at the scar. Her stomach truned and she took a step back nearly tripping.

"What's wrong?" Ferris asked. "It's just a scar..."

"I-I don't know," Himiko stammered. She replaced his shirt and sat down feeling suddenly exhausted. "I don't like it when people I know are hurt."

"It doesn't hurt anymore, I promise..." Ferris lifted his shirt over his head, "I have a lot of scars. Would it make you feel any better if you knew where they came from? I remember the stories for almost all of them."

Himiko shook her head quickly, "No," she said, her voice coming as nothing more then a squeak. Her face turned red again as she viewed the shirtless Ferris. Why does he have to be nice and attractive? Himiko thought, but she pushed the thought from her mind, You can't do this to yourself. You're leaving as soon as Molly has her baby. She frowned at that thought. "Just eat your soup," Himiko said shoving a soup bowl into Ferris's hands.

Ferris shrugged and sat in the hay to eat his stew. It would have been delicious, but knowing that Jennifer had been rude to Himiko made it dull and bland. "So when do we leave?

"Probably Tuesday," Himiko said, "Are you really that eager to go?" She smiled at him.

"Yeah. I wanna see how you operate." Ferris grinned mischievously. "Tell me about yourself."

"There isn't really much to tell," Himiko began, sipping her soup, "And its not at all exciting." She began at with her time at the traveling circus and reluctantly shared the moment she ran away. "And then zombies started showing up and I left to find survivors. I found Molly and two others. I'm not sure where they went after we found this place," She motioned around her, "And I've been here sense."

"And you think that's uninteresting?" Ferris scoffed, "I grew up in Mesa, worked at a grocery store, wrestled in high school, joined the military, and now I'm here... I'd say your story is more interesting than mine." Ferris looked down at his empty bowl, "I should probably take this back to the kitchen... Would you like me to take yours as well?"
Father McMarsh lingered in the kitchen, chatting pleasantly with Kelly as she helped Jennifer with the dishes. "You are awfully quiet, Mrs. Sterling. Is something the matter?"
"No... not at all. Thank you, Father."
"Come now, child, you need not hide anything from me."
"This isn't a confessional," Jennifer replied, a fair bit more sharply than she had intended. Kelly had fallen into awkward silence.
"Hm... Well, when you are ready to share, you know where to find me." Father McMarsh made the sign of the cross and left the room.
"What the hell was that?" Kelly asked.
"Never you mind, child."
"None of us are children anymore," Kelly put a hand on her hip, "What's eating you?"
"Himiko."

"If you don't mind," Himiko said, handing him the bowl, "I really don't want to go in there. You might want to put your shirt on before you leave though."

Ferris conceded, slipping it over his head, and stacking the bowls before scrambling down the ramp. "I'll be right back."
Before entering the kitchen, he overheard a muffled conversation through the back door.
"What has she done to you?"
"Nothing, really... I just... she reminds me of someone I knew. Before."
"Someone who got infected?"
"Yeah. She was my niece, but my sister was a drinker, so I pretty much raised her. I think that's why Kyler likes Himiko so much."
Ferris listened more closely at the mention of Himiko's name.
"So... you treat her like crap because she reminds you of your niece?" The voice sounded confused.
"It's more than that... I guess... it bothers me that she's gone so often. I worry like crazy that she's not going to come back and it'll be like losing Mei again."
Ferris slipped through the door then, ending their conversation. He placed the bowls into the warm, soapy water and turned to Jennifer. "You need to tell her. It's only fair. Don't be a bitch."
He left, barely glancing at Jennifer's bright red face.

Himiko flopped down on her sleeping bag and rested her head on Basco's side. She felt extremely tiered and was having a hard time keeping her eyes open but she needed to wait for Ferris to come back. That was her last thought before drifting into a deep sleep.