Epic Zombie Mayhem of Doom and Stuff (also known as Z-Day)

"Um... I don't like to think about it. It makes me hungrier." Ferris smirked as Himiko lead him to the kitchen. The makeshift infirmary was in a small outbuilding, nothing but a tuff-shed from the outside. The farmhouse lay not far off. It was relatively large building, one story, with two wings. One probably held the common areas and the other the living quarters. The land surrounding was mostly flat, a pasture sprawling out to the left, and ahead he could see the horizon dropping out deep blue before the cliff. A young boy and girl came running from the house, shouting, "Himiko! Himiko!"

Himiko shouted back, "Kyler, Justine! Is something wrong?"
"You're back!" Justine shouted jumping into Himiko's arms. Himiko spun Justine around and set her back down.
"And you shot someone new," Kyler said, giving Basco a hug. Both Justine and Kyler stopped what the were doing and inspected Ferris.

Ferris smiled mischievously at the children. "How do you know she shot me? Maybe I just followed her here?"
Justine frowned at him "If you just followed her, then why are you walking on a crutch?"
Ferris frowned back, "Oh yeah..."
"She's shot people before. That's where Molly's husband came from," said Kyler, rolling his eyes.
"Oh really?" Ferris smirked at Himiko.

Himiko shrugged. "Its hard to tell if its a zombie, especially if they're fresh, from the trees so I aim for the legs and if it keeps walking I aim for the head next," She said, "by the way, this is Ferris, Ferris this is Justine and Kyler." She pointed at the two kids, Justine waved and Kyler folded his arms and looked away.

Ferris smiled warmly at the children, "It's nice to meet you, Justine, Kyler." Ferris reached down to shake Kyler's hand, but he just shrugged it off and walked away, back toward the house. Ferris shrugged and turned back to Himiko, "Well, let's continue, then." They entered through a thick steel-reinforced back door, into a kitchen area where stood another woman scrubbing pots.

"Hello Jennifer," Himiko said warmly, "I'd like to introduce you to Ferris."
Jennifer gasped and turned sharply, a hand pressed to her chest, "Himiko! Don't startle me that way! What were you thinking, sneaking up on me like that. Especially considering what's happening out there." She frowned suddenly, "Get that filthy beast out of here. How unsanitary!"
"Filthy beast?" Himiko asked confused, thinking that she meant Ferris. Himiko turned and found Basco scratching at the floor behind her. "Oh, sorry, I'll take care of it." She grabbed Basco's collar and walked out with him, "I'll catch up with you latter, k, Ferris?" Himiko called over her shoulder before walking out of sight.

Ferris raised an eyebrow as Himiko left with Basco in tow. What on earth was that about? "Er... Hello. I'm Ferris Baumann," he held out his hand. Jennifer smiled warmly and wiped her soggy hands on a rag before reaching around to shake it.
"Hello, Ferris. It's a pleasure to meet you..." She paused and wrinkled her nose, "Supper will be ready, soon... Why don't you get washed up?"
Ferris chuckled. He must look a sight. His military-issue buzz cut had grown out quite a bit, he was sure he had a full beard, and with the lack of running water had come a lack of hygiene, and the gaining of the rather unpleasant fragrance of rotting vegetation, zombie blood, and horrendous B.O.. "Yeah, that's probably a good idea... Where's the bathroom?"
"There are two just down the hall. The one on the left is for the boys. Michael," she called. From the other room came a man, about Ferris's height, but substantially less wide, with graying temples and a pleasant smile, "There you are. Do you think you could show Ferris here the bathroom, and maybe get him some clean clothes?"
"Sure thing, sweetheart." Michael extended a hand, "Nice to meet ya."
Ferris rubbed his freshly scraped jaw and sighed. Man, does it feel good to be clean. He laid the towel over the shower curtain rod and slipped into the clean clothes Michael had given him. The pants were just a tad too short, and the shirt was certainly tight, but he was covered. Beggars can't be choosers, he shrugged, and emerged, thinking he'd like to find Himiko. It's a pretty ideal setup they've got here. You'd almost think it wasn't the end of the world.

Himiko walked into the barn with Basco, "I realize you are a beast Basco," She told the bear, "But you take a bath every week and I brush your fur daily. I bet you are cleaner then she is." She smiled ruffled Basco's head. Himiko sighed and climbed to the second story of the barn, she lowered a ramp so Basco could join her. "I guess I could make more arrows or finish making the winter clothing," She sighed and sat on the rug and began sewing pieces of rabbit fur together.

Ferris shoved his hands into his pockets and wandered around outside, inspecting the grounds more closely. There was a huge garden filled with who knew what. From where Ferris stood he could make out corn, wheat, squash, and what looked like some kind of peas. Beside the garden was a greenhouse, and behind that lay a couple of apple and apricot trees. In the pasture, behind the barn, were some cows grazing, and beside the barn a chicken coop squatted low to the ground. Ferris stopped at the base of the barn, staring at the doors pensively. He remembered a television show, pre Z-Day, wherein an old man housed a small hoard in his barn, and Ferris shivered. These people were too sensible for that. Still, as though to test the waters, he rapped on the door. It swung open, and Ferris instinctively tensed his muscles to run, but he was faced with what appeared to be a normal barn. He stepped inside the dim, musty room and smiled, until he heard a voice from the loft. Ferris barely thought before he mounted the ladder to investigate.

Himiko spun around starteled then breathed a sigh of releaf when she realized it was Ferris. "You scared me," She said, setting down her sewing, and replacing her trench spike to its holster, "I see you've cleaned up."

"Yeah," he laughed, "I feel like a totally different person. Ferris the Barbarian to Ferris the gentlemen..." He trailed off, looking down at the hay that padded the floor of the loft. "What are you working on?"

"Winter clothing," Himiko said holding up a half shirt made of rabbit, "But I've ran out of rabbits..." She motioned to a deer hide in the corner, "And that is for something else." She packed up her sewing and made room for Ferris to sit, "come join me. Your leg must be feeling better." She said realizing that Ferris no longer had his crutch.

"Not really," Ferris admitted, "but if there's anything the Marine corps taught me, it's to work through pain. And it's bearable, really. But don't tell Molly." Ferris held a finger to his lips conspiratorially. He sat in silence for a moment, stroking the rabbit pelts, "So... Jennifer... did you piss in her porridge?"

"If I did I don't remember doing so," Himiko said, "Maybe she doesn't like that I spend a majority of my time away from here." She shrugged, "I know for sure she doesn't like Basco. I don't know why, he's well behaved and house trained. And who couldn't love this face?" Himiko said puffing up Basco's cheeks giving him a squirrel like look.

Ferris grinned, an unfamiliar feeling, as of late, and his eyes crinkled at the edges. "True. He's a living, breathing Teddy Bear, huh?" Ferris laid back in the sun-warmed hay and took a deep breath. "So I've met you, Molly, Kyler and Justine, Jennifer and Michael. Then you said there's Molly's husband... so who are the other five?"

"That would be Sean, Molly's husband, Father McMarsh, Talon Jacobsen, Kelly and Bobby Cross. They're probably out working the fields," Himiko said, "Its getting close to harvest time." She sat silent for a while. "Although its possible that Talon and Bobby are working on the buss."

"A priest, huh? How ironic." Ferris closed his eyes again, but shot up a moment later. "Wait... a bus? You guys have a bus?"

"Technically its an 18 seater van," Himiko said, "Would you like to see it?"

"Um... sure." Ferris smiled again and pushed himself up, offering a hand to Himiko, but Basco got there first, licking Ferris's hand and leaving it a sticky, slobbery mess.
"Um... yeah.... no." Himiko said, and jumped up herself.

Basco cantered down the ramp and nudged the barn door open then turned and waited for Himiko and Ferris. "Stay here Basco," Himiko said when she caught up to him. Basco sat down with a snort and looked up at Himiko with puppy dog eyes. "Sorry but it's not safe for you in there." Himiko gave Basco a scratch between the eyes, "We'll be right back." She left with Ferris in tow and headed toward a shed that was inconspicuously located in a corner. Noises of welders could be heard from inside. "I warn you," Himiko said, pausing outside, "It's hectic in there."