3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
OOC/Signup Thread is here.

Interest Check is here

Several short scenarios and a general 'sandbox' to interact IC will be run on this thread, as we tread water at the time of this writing waiting for the updated Groups system.

After that point, other than the casual threads, all IC scenarios/missions will be invite only - invite contingent on being part of the group.

Last edited:
He heard nothing. But, he did smell something. Cigarette smoke. Then, he had a strange uneasy feeling for a moment before it passed.

A precious few heartbeats later,he did hear something.
Matt-Ryan-as-John-Constantine-x400.jpg

"Oh for Christ's sake, get in here. Someone will see now that you've gone and bashed the window in. But if you're here to kill me, be warned. I'm a lot harder to kill than it looks like."

Presuming Nosferatu did actually enter the shop, he'd find a cocky British looking man still smoking a cigarette.

"Let's dispense with the posturing shall we? Wastes time. You and I, probably investigating the same thing. I came here to speak with the proprietor, since his car is still parked around back. He's not here, obviously. The police might be shortly, since the place has a silent alarm. So how do you want to handle this?"

He took another drag of his cigarette and looked at Nosferatu. "Name's John, by the way."
@Ringmaster
I flicked a glance behind him at the shelf.

"Um...Nosferatu."

Don't give me that look, it was the first thing I saw. : |

"And I'm not inclined to bash anyones head just yet. Not till I figure out whats going on now."

@Michale CS

I flicked a glance behind him at the shelf.

"Um...Nosferatu."

Don't give me that look, it was the first thing I saw. : |

"And I'm not inclined to bash anyones head just yet. Not till I figure out whats going on now."
"Well then, Nosferatu, we've got about five minutes before this place is crawling with GCPD and who knows what other vigilantes. Me? I have a fast way out. To Heritage Park, at the north edge of town. By the fountain. Sorry, it's a one person trip. I'll wait about a bit to see if you join me there, otherwise, it's been a pleasure." John replied, and stepped back into that corner. That uneasy feeling crawled up Nosferatu's back just then again for a moment.

An elaborate arcane pattern lit up all around John on the floor as he did the Royal Wave at Nosferatu, and then, he was gone.

And, true to form, in the distance he heard sirens. A quick look around the room showed that John had been at the computer on the desk, but it still showed "enter password" on the Windows login screen. So he'd either backed out or never gotten in. The drawers of the desk were both ajar, and there was a chair wedged up under the doorknob to this small office like room.

Other than that, there were a few filing cabinets, the old metal style, labeled invoices.

What happens next?

@Ringmaster

"Well then, Nosferatu, we've got about five minutes before this place is crawling with GCPD and who knows what other vigilantes. Me? I have a fast way out. To Heritage Park, at the north edge of town. By the fountain. Sorry, it's a one person trip. I'll wait about a bit to see if you join me there, otherwise, it's been a pleasure." John replied, and stepped back into that corner. That uneasy feeling crawled up Nosferatu's back just then again for a moment.

An elaborate arcane pattern lit up all around John on the floor as he did the Royal Wave at Nosferatu, and then, he was gone.

And, true to form, in the distance he heard sirens. A quick look around the room showed that John had been at the computer on the desk, but it still showed "enter password" on the Windows login screen. So he'd either backed out or never gotten in. The drawers of the desk were both ajar, and there was a chair wedged up under the doorknob to this small office like room.

Other than that, there were a few filing cabinets, the old metal style, labeled invoices.

What happens next?

@Ringmaster
Alright, there was only one thing here to do.

And unplugging the desktop, I ripped open the casing and took out the parts I'd need. Memory core, things of that nature where information would be stored. All the latter pieces I left behind, I didn't need them.

Next came the invoices, all stacked which I snagged and stuffed into a handy pillowcase. There.

NOW I could go and turning, I leaped for the window and flipped out into the dark as I ran like a thief in the night out and away.

The opposite direction of the park.

No sense leading any do-gooder on my trail to John, whoever he was. At least not yet. And longer this may be, but it'd help get me free and away....For now.

I hoped.

I kept running.

@Michale CS

Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2014 - Approx 915pm - Location: Rags And Tatters, Garment District

With a burst of ionized electricity and a crackle, something landed on top of the Rags and Tatters building. "I don't see anything here, Gear."
Static.png

"Something was there, Virg. You just got there too late. Besides, you're not even supposed to be on patrol. You're just here because I needed you here for moral support for my cousin's graduation." Was heard through Static's earpiece.

"So, is that what you call it? Moral support? Being the anti-wingman?"

"Hey, it's creepy. She's my cousin and she's always hitting on me. And my parents wouldn't let me skip this."

"I'm going to take a look inside." After a moment he continued. "Yeah, computer's torn up, no hard drive, no flash drives, and there's stuff missing."

"And the cops are on the way. And I can remind you they have no clue who you are."
"Yeah, yeah. Time for the brother to get out of here before he has to call Black Lives Matter to bail him out of jail."

"Hey, I meant the mask, Virg."

"I know, I know, I was just messing with you." And with that, he left.
The opposite direction of the park.

No sense leading any do-gooder on my trail to John, whoever he was. At least not yet. And longer this may be, but it'd help get me free and away....For now.

I hoped.

I kept running.
Other than noticing some strange electrical activity behind him as he left, Nosferatu got clean away with the hard drive and stack of invoices.

Making sense of them would take him until well into the morning, and be pretty much a dead end.

Unless of course he read Hebrew. There was a file, that seemed to be a journal, dated, but with words unintelligible to anyone who didn't read the language.

@Ringmaster

Last edited:
Politely, I finish my meal and a the expresso. My head is full of thoughts. I'm willing to give Thorne the ticket for the moment. I've taken the coin and I study it for a moment as I leave the restaurant. I walk back to the Ferry. For at least two of these girls, things seemed to center around the path to Metropolis and the Ferry.

I'll stop by that bar and leave word for Question where I'm going and text a message to Big Patrick, who seems oddly disinterested in the fate of my sister. Perhaps he is succumbing to the hypnotic affects ?

After which I head to the ferry, and Metropolis.

All files saved both on my file and online, via my own 'ghost file' locations. Can't be too careful with information nowadays, even if its the best you could need for stuff like this. So....What was it? Also....Who was that guy from before? What did he call himself? John? Well in times like this, I did the only sensible thing.

I googled him.

What scant information turned up was enough to make me groan. So, I was right...In a sense.

If magic was involved, that just made this even worse. But it was the only way I could get answers.

So for the next few nights, I kept the materials I had processed and searched through on me, waiting at the place he mentioned.

Maybe he'll show up, maybe not.

Eh, nothing good on netflix anyway.

@Michale CS

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 4pm

@Gands

Grady arrives at the other end of the ferry with just enough time to get to the Daily Planet before going in and out of the building would be suspicious for the general public. A quick look around reveals no one he really knows, but a man who was seemingly waiting for him closes in and clears his throat.

635694471690148658-XXX-JURASSIC-WORLD-CHRIS-PRATT-017-73662120.JPG

"You asked if I had another face I could put on. This is it. Kind of." The voice was familiar. "Call me Quentin. Close enough."

Once Grady figured out who this man was, they proceeded together to the Daily Planet to continue their investigation.

"So, you've got two choices. You can be the one looking for information, or you can be the distraction. I'm good with either role."
Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 7pm

@Ringmaster

The hard drive gave virtually no clues for the current case, and the internet did a fairly horrible job at translating Hebrew. It was enough to reveal to Nosferatu that Rory also lived a double life, mainly avenging those who messed with the street folk and homeless and other underprivileged in his neighborhood. Cross referencing the journals to local police blotters seemed to indicate that this man had no problem being judge, jury and executioner to those he found guilty. Strangulation deaths of local thugs in this area were common, and somehow never looked further into by the GCPD.

Once Nosferatu got to the park on the first night, he wasn't there twenty minutes before he smelled that smoke and heard that voice again, behind him.

latest
"You're lucky I put a tracer on this spot when you didn't show up right away that first night, Mate, or you'd be working on your own. You turn up anything I didn't? My Hebrew is only average, but I got the gist that our proprietor is hiding something, but is probably not our culprit. In fact he might be a victim himself by now, if what I suspect is true."

Last edited:
It takes me a moment or two to recognize the voice and size Question up.

I've had some luck with people remembering when I talk to them Quentin. By the way, one of the Fathers has had people in several of the areas. We need to look about the area where the ferry lands on the metropolis side. Did you notice the women missing are in a certain age range ? He did... And here.... A coin his people found near the metro ferry side.

I hand Quentin the coin.

It takes me a moment or two to recognize the voice and size Question up.

I've had some luck with people remembering when I talk to them Quentin. By the way, one of the Fathers has had people in several of the areas. We need to look about the area where the ferry lands on the metropolis side. Did you notice the women missing are in a certain age range ? He did... And here.... A coin his people found near the metro ferry side.

I hand Quentin the coin.
"Yeah, they are. And with the exception of your April, blondes, all of them. In fact, well..." Quentin takes the coin and cocks his head at Grady "...all of em are within a 20% facial recognition match of Rayleen Thorne. Kind of freaky, huh?"

He flips the coin and looks at it carefully. "Cheap magic store prop. If I didn't know better, I'd say this was planted to throw off suspicion of what's really going on. Actual magic. Finger waving and mystic symbols and all that nonsense."

Quentin shrugs. "I suppose we could look around here, but we're running low on time for us to be able to get in as civilians to the Daily Planet. Sure you wanna handle that in this order?"

@Gands

You have more experience Q, but I do have the family thing going for me. Some people here might even remember me. Since my schedule is usually fairly open, I've visited her at work. Thorn said his daughter's phone tried to back itself up last in this area. Lets just come back here on the way home.

Any word from the other mask ?

You have more experience Q, but I do have the family thing going for me. Some people here might even remember me. Since my schedule is usually fairly open, I've visited her at work. Thorn said his niece's phone tried to back itself up last in this area. Lets just come back here on the way home.

Any word from the other mask ?
"Not a peep directly. Cept one of the leads I gave out was busted into last night. Vandalized, some stuff stolen, and the owner now missing too. Hope I didn't make a bad call there." Quentin shrugged. "I don't think I did, I think this guy just has more of a lone wolf style of doing things. I could be wrong though."

After they got closer to the Daily Planet, Quentin would speak again. "I suppose you'll be the distraction then. Talk to them about your sister and I'll slip in quiet like and see what I can dig up through the security room."

At that point, Quentin flashed a badge he had under his jacket. "I did my research. I know which rent-a-cops the Planet hires to do their grunt work. I'll get in, get what info I can, and get out while you play the bereaving brother. If what's happened all along still happens, some people will start to remember April once you jog their memories. Whatever mojo was worked on all these people, it's diluted. Maybe because of how many people it's effecting."

About a block away, Quentin fell behind. "Go ahead of me, don't want to walk in at the same time."

@Gands

Last edited:
I nod at Q as we part, handing him a thumb drive.

A little computer diversion if you need it Q. Good luck !

With that I had inside to see what I can find out !

I head to the elevators, heading for the section of building where April's desk was. I stop and chat with anyone I recognize from her department if I see anyone.

Lilly Briant (Argent Sentinel)
@Michale CS @Others?

An auburn haired woman, looking to be in her very early twenties, practically burst through the doors of the bar, the grim expression on her face alone, clearly conveyed that she meant business here. Whether she was simply wound up for one reason or another, and was in a serious need of a drink, or she was hunting down someone, in a manner of speaking... She marched towards the bar counter, putting both hands down on the table with a distinct thunking sound.

"Strong tequilla, no ice." She said... Borderline barking out her order.

Well, even if she wasn't an offduty drill sargeant, she sure as heck sounded like one, and oddly enough, as she waited for her order to arrive... She was practically eyeing every nook and cranny of the bar, as if looking for something, or someone. Perhaps she wasn't just here to calm some shot nerves after all... But who can say for certain? Or, perhaps more importantly, who would dare to ask her?

Though she wasn't exactly well known, those who have dropped by a local Military Surplus store might recognize her as the assistant manager "Lilly Briant"... Her attitude certainly fit the bill of someone straight out of the military, so the glove fits... Maybe a bit too tightly. On the other hand, it didn't look like she was here for trouble, while she was quite impatient, though who can tell for sure...​

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 5pm

Quentin entered the Planet several minutes after Grady had already gotten in, and headed immediately to the security room, looking suitably bored.

Meanwhile, Grady had dealt with the receptionist on the main floor and because of his inquiries, was sent to the 4th floor to Human Resources to meet with someone regarding April O'Rourke.

CRJqfZo.jpg

"Thank you for meeting with me. My name is Martin Chase. There was a glitch in the records, but thankfully our IT staff caught it with a secondary backup. I wouldn't have called you up here if I didn't think there was something odd about this, Mister... Murtaugh, was it?" Upon confirmation he shook his head.

"Apparently there were a few... inconsistencies with our records that we cannot disclose at this time, but suffice it to say, we are working on restoring April's office as we speak. I'm going to be blunt - someone went to a lot of trouble to make a woman disappear, including committing crimes that would get them put in jail for a long time. Miss O'Rourke's associations were not unknown to the Planet at the time of her hiring, and we chose to overlook them in the interest of helping people into lifestyles more suited to their personalities, shall we say?"

He took a deep breath and let it out. "I really hate having to be vague and not fully transparent, but I'm prepared to let you come back tomorrow and look through April's office. I'm not sure it will do as much good as you'd like, as someone ordered all of the offices on her floor packed up and sprayed down for insects, though there's no official complaint on record requiring that. If something went missing from April's things, it's a fair bet it is already missing. Listen, this would be a PR nightmare if it got out that the Planet's security was so flawed that one of its employees was essentially erased from our systems for a day, so I'm prepared to offer you a... donation."

Chase brought out a checkbook and filled in a figure. He signed it and ripped it out of the checkbook. The memo area said consultation fee and the amount was $5,000. "Please, donate to the charity of your choice, or use it to help console her family."

Does Grady take the check or...?
@Gands

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 8pm

Though she wasn't exactly well known, those who have dropped by a local Military Surplus store might recognize her as the assistant manager "Lilly Briant"... Her attitude certainly fit the bill of someone straight out of the military, so the glove fits... Maybe a bit too tightly. On the other hand, it didn't look like she was here for trouble, while she was quite impatient, though who can tell for sure...​
So I was back from Metropolis, with as many new questions as answers. I decided to see if Nosferatu had decided to drop by for a progress report. No such luck so far. There was, however, someone else that I suspected of having a double life. I just took my usual seat and ordered my usual drink. If she was here for the job, she'd know who I was and approach me.

@york

Last edited:
I appreciate your position Mister Chase, I really do. April is my sister, so there is no donation necessary. If you'd like, I can take a look at your system personally. That's my business and here is my card. You have my word, that outside of my family, and my investigator, no one else will hear about this from me.

For the record, the business man who is April's and my father would be someone I'd find a way to apologize to. I will give him your name and let him know that you will be calling on him ...... Soon.

Lastly, there are a number of women who have likewise gone missing. if your people find anything in the computers, anything at all.. I'd like to know.

Thank you again for seeing me on such short notice.

The personal fury I felt was kept in check. It's possible if Chase is smart or has good people skills he might have noticed.
I exit the building and head back towards the Ferry dock, walking with my customary limp.

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 5pm

Thank you again for seeing me on such short notice.

The personal fury I felt was kept in check. It's possible if Chase is smart or has good people skills he might have noticed.
I exit the building and head back towards the Ferry dock, walking with my customary limp.
"Not at all. Please put in a word with Mister O'Connor will you? I'm sure we'll be having lunch soon." The look in Chase's eye showed that he probably wasn't just some schlep HR guy at the Planet, but somehow had his finger on the pulse of a lot of activities in the Tri-State area. This might merit Grady asking the Question later who he might be.

Once he got a block or so from the Planet Quentin rejoined him. "They're just in the process of restoring themselves from some major glitch. All I managed to get was a timeline of when the glitch started to where it ended, there was literally nothing else there, as they hadn't restored their backups yet. You find anything interesting?"

@Gands

Last edited:
I met with a man named Chase. Real deal I think, not the H.R. flunky I was lead to believe he was. He knew Big Patrick, knew April was on the level. He confirmed someone got into their system and basically erased April from their records.

I laugh a bit

He offered me a $5,000.00 consultants fee. Proves he doesn't know me at least. Well, he'll try and get to know me now.
Someone claimed that there were bugs, pests to be sprayed for on April's level, her desk and all the stuff on it were taken away and put into storage.

He said the Planet would be Embarrassed if this got out. So I told him no one would hear about it from us. Told him he should apologize to Big Patrick.

So, when did they do this ?

Oh, that reminds me, Thorne mentioned hacking too.

I met with a man named Chase. Real deal I think, not the H.R. flunky I was lead to believe he was. He knew Big Patrick, knew April was on the level. He confirmed someone got into their system and basically erased April from their records.

I laugh a bit

He offered me a $5,000.00 consultants fee. Proves he doesn't know me at least. Well, he'll try and get to know me now.
Someone claimed that there were bugs, pests to be sprayed for on April's level, her desk and all the stuff on it were taken away and put into storage.
"Chase. Last name sounds familiar. Yeah. There's a list of names I have, of what I think is a semi-secret government organization, and Chase is on it. Female though, if I recall. Might be related. I'll look into it."

He said the Planet would be Embarrassed if this got out. So I told him no one would hear about it from us. Told him he should apologize to Big Patrick.

So, when did they do this ?

Oh, that reminds me, Thorne mentioned hacking too.
"They're just getting everything back online. I can't get back in there tomorrow, not in the same getup." He handed Grady back the flash drive. "I didn't have to use this, whatever it is."

"I don't know exactly what happened, all I got was the time frame that was wiped out. Essentially the day after the last day that April showed up at work, which was last Tuesday, had a four hour period just dumped from their records. Someone had to be on site to do this, because they don't have an outside connection for their security. Looks like I've got some work to do on my own tonight, scanning cameras around the area of the Planet. Whomever this is, they couldn't have erased their presence from every red light camera or security camera in Metropolis while they did their sneak in and erase deal on April. I can widen the search and look for stuff around Thorne's place too. Our last business here is checking out that little cafe over there, which is the place closest to the spot you told me Rayleen Thorne's phone tried to back up from. Ready?"

@Gands

Yeah, I'm ready. Do you have my cell phone number ? You know, just in case ?

You do know, that I can handle myself right ? I may not be much compared to most masks... But I'm pretty tough.

I will try to meet you at the bar later to give you an update.

I put on a pair of gloves, slightly weighted and slightly armored, a trick some of Patrick's bruisers taught me. I'm wearing an old sweater of my fathers, with the leather patches on the elbows, along with a grey London fog. My boots and belt of course are strong Tir A Nog leather crafted. All of that and I have my Cane. I've never seen it even scratched.

Status
Not open for further replies.