3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
OOC/Signup Thread is here.

Interest Check is here

Several short scenarios and a general 'sandbox' to interact IC will be run on this thread, as we tread water at the time of this writing waiting for the updated Groups system.

After that point, other than the casual threads, all IC scenarios/missions will be invite only - invite contingent on being part of the group.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for everyone's friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, some things never change.
Hey, awesome post, @mr_pibbs I know you've built him into Gotham, but is there any chance you can move this post to Backstory Alley so I can keep this one mostly devoted to the arc between Question, Nosferatu, and Grady?

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
The dry cleaners looked fairly typical. A man of probably Korean persuasion stepped up from behind the rows of clothes in plastic bags on racks and up to the counter.

"Here for pick up?" He asked, with a heavy accent. "You have ticket?"

The room was humid, but that was almost to be expected this close to the harbor. Odd place for a dry cleaners. Odder still was the fact that it wasn't being kept as dry as possible to protect all of the clothes. Something didn't add up.

@Gands

I look around, my face passive and calm. I want to look as if everything is normal.

Yes, I have a ticket.

I show it to him without yet releasing it, watching for his reaction... listening... watching for anything else... anyone else.

@Ringmaster @Michale CS

I look around, my face passive and calm. I want to look as if everything is normal.

Yes, I have a ticket.

I show it to him without yet releasing it, watching for his reaction... listening... watching for anything else... anyone else.
The man leaned forward then pulled out a smartphone and checked a list on it, which, from what little Grady could see, was in Korean, or some sort of Asian language anyway.

He stared at it, his face very still, but his eyes did widen for a moment before he spoke. "This one not ready now. Come back two o'clock. Is big order. You know kind." The man gave a subtle wink and gestured his hands wide, as if indicating a large suitcase or footlocker of some kind. "Then you can deliver like usual, huh? I tell boss this one pick up."

Grady's ears picked up on a shuffling sound, from behind one of the racks of clothes. There was definitely someone else here besides Grady and the proprietor.

@Gands

Right then, no fooling around though. You know how bosses are when these kinds of things are screwed up.

My body language mimics what I've seen Big Patrick do when he's warning someone. I try to be subtle though, not overact it. Subconsciously I try to casually look over where the noise came from as I back out of the cleaners carefully.

Outside and out of sight, I pull out my phone & dial Big Patrick's number.

Patrick ? yeah, it's me Grady. What do you know about a dry cleaner over by the Ferry. Smells like last month's corned beef, yeah.. you know... like something's not right. In your territory too. Might have something to do with April.

Right then, no fooling around though. You know how bosses are when these kinds of things are screwed up.

My body language mimics what I've seen Big Patrick do when he's warning someone. I try to be subtle though, not overact it. Subconsciously I try to casually look over where the noise came from as I back out of the cleaners carefully.
"Yeah yeah. No screw up. Easy job anyway. Two o'clock." He waved his finger at Grady then disappeared with a rustle of plastic behind the clothes.

Patrick ? yeah, it's me Grady. What do you know about a dry cleaner over by the Ferry. Smells like last month's corned beef, yeah.. you know... like something's not right. In your territory too. Might have something to do with April.
"We don't have anything there. If it's the one I'm thinking, it's just a pickup and dropoff point we're letting Thorne use to get stuff to and from Metropolis easy. Worked it out a long time ago. In return he lets us use a place in his territory. Lissen, I got a lot to do today. You want more answers about this place, Thorne usually does his business lunches at Giovanni's, you know the place, the one smack dab across from City Hall. I gotta go, but follow up on this, boyo." There was no goodbye, just a beep as the call ended.

@Gands

Leslie looked at that picture for a long time. Initially, she shook her head and seemed like she was about to say she didn't know her, when that confusion snapped and realization came to her, quickly. Frighteningly quickly, as if released from some outside influence.

"That's Elizabeth Berg. She hasn't been homeless for awhile, but she's still nomadic. She goes from motel to motel, mostly along the docks. Works at a clothing store, from what I hear of her. I haven't seen her here for a week or so. She shows up to volunteer at the boys and girls club on 14th and Main every other Saturday. I know this because I volunteer there too, giving flu shots, handing out samples of cold medicine, doing checkups. Elizabeth goes by Betty Boyg, except when she volunteers there. It's like she's afraid of people knowing that she used to be Betty Boyg when she was on the streets. But, the club doesn't ask much about backgrounds as long as you do good work. Elizabeth, she brings in blankets and clothing on the regular for them. Even takes requests and gets special things sewn for the kids. Pretty popular. Day after tomorrow is the next drive. Maybe you could get some information there?"

@Ringmaster

Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2005 - Approx 8pm
Let me share a few things about myself that should clear things up. First and foremost?

I am not a detective. Don't let the hat and coat fool you, its just a good method to hide oneself alongside the mask. The clothing is one of many brands, bought all over the world and its the penultimate in obscurity. Anyone could be Nosferatu, anyone could behind the mask. The only thing that sets me apart from the imitators?

Its my little, furry friend.

I sense things I'd have missed as a human. A heartbeats flutter, movement from the corner of my eye. The mask helps, it blocks out the world and lets me filter on a level I can comprehend. Even so, not everything is quite the same. For example, there's that little breath of intake as she stares. I know Thompson. I know what she's like and how she remembers the people others leave to the side, because of who and where they came from. She's like me in that extent- Caring for the little people.

Even with the excuse of old age, I refuse to believe she needed a moments memory jogging. Which in turn brought me to the next part. Who or what, had power to put a veil- Or a hypnotized haze? It obviously wasn't that strong...She told me all this information in a heartbeat after a minor kick and stimulus. This, I sighed within was the worse part of this world.

When you got aliens, Atlantis and gods(plural) know what else out there? Nothing seems impossible. I'm a science-made vampire myself, it tends to open your mind.

"You said you see her at these drives. You ever talk to her about her current life? People she knows, or who she's seeing?"

One thing at a time though. I'm no Batman- Not nearly as crazy for one.

Person like Berg, out on the streets? You had a small circle and trusted few. I was willing to be Thompson was one of em and if I had the rest? Maybe I could see if they knew anything as well.

@Michale CS

I have a concerned look on my face. I pause to think for a moment. Thorne ? why would his people be involved with April. A bad sign.

I move to hail a cabby. Giovanni's please

Once there, I head in, I can see Thorne from the entryway. at least the crowd of people that surround him.

I make my way to his table, I walk with confidence and a slight limp. Eyes open, expression calm and passive.

"You said you see her at these drives. You ever talk to her about her current life? People she knows, or who she's seeing?"

One thing at a time though. I'm no Batman- Not nearly as crazy for one.
Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2014 - Approx 8pm

"Not so much. I know she's got a job, and she's really fond of her boss. Really, other than the drives, since she's off the streets, the best place to find her would normally be at work. She never told me where that was. Shame, though. She seemed really happy for once in her life. Betty deserves much more than this life's been giving her. I'm sorry, that's about all I know. In this job... you tend to focus on the people who still need help, not the ones who managed to pull themselves out of trouble." Leslie shook her head.

"Will there be anything else?" She followed up.

@Ringmaster

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx 10am - Noon
I have a concerned look on my face. I pause to think for a moment. Thorne ? why would his people be involved with April. A bad sign.

I move to hail a cabby. Giovanni's please

Once there, I head in, I can see Thorne from the entryway. at least the crowd of people that surround him.

I make my way to his table, I walk with confidence and a slight limp. Eyes open, expression calm and passive.
KY3KWd7.jpg

"Ah. You're Patrick's boy. Take a seat. Order something. To what do I owe the pleasure of this rather unexpected visit?" Thorne put on all the graces that he needed to.

He obviously was partway through his meal, with an antipasto partially finished and breadsticks on the table, as well as a bottle of red wine.

And he showed no sign at all of discomfort, or of holding anything back.

But then, you never got to be a boss if you tipped your hand at every turn, now did you?
@Gands

Last edited:
Pardon me Mister Thorn, I usually have better manners than to interrupt a man's meal. But I found something that might be important looking into the disappearances. You see, my stepsister went missing too.

I take a deep breath, working to calm my own nerves before I start talking again.

This morning, I went to her apartment. Not much has changed since I was last there but I noticed two things. First, a shadow against the walls of her crock pot. You see, she was almost always cooking something in it. This is important because it shows whoever, or whatever did this... isn't perfect.

I finally sit down.

Lastly I found this ticket, sticking out of a couch cushion that was never hers. Belongs to a Dry cleaner down by the ferry.
Big Patrick tells me it's a spot of yours.

I take the ticket out and push it across the table.

The atmosphere in there is all wrong for a dry cleaner by the way.

Do your people have something to do with this sir ?

Oh, and maybe an expresso ?

"Not so much. I know she's got a job, and she's really fond of her boss. Really, other than the drives, since she's off the streets, the best place to find her would normally be at work. She never told me where that was. Shame, though. She seemed really happy for once in her life. Betty deserves much more than this life's been giving her. I'm sorry, that's about all I know. In this job... you tend to focus on the people who still need help, not the ones who managed to pull themselves out of trouble." Leslie shook her head.

"Will there be anything else?" She followed up.
"No...But you may want to change your passwords."

I gave a little shrug and touched the brim of my hat as I turned to leave.

"Good night doctor. Thank you for your time."

I left the clinic with a bit more then what I knew. First, someone had been trying to fog the minds of the kidnapped perps. Nothing major, just enough to force them to forget. Like a memory hanging out of reach, but how? More physical means and melding seemed to be the wrong sort...I didn't see anything and it would have slapped an anchor the moment I showed the picture. No, this was something laid on from a distance if at all. That narrowed it down. Back to the people taken.

A homeless girl, a mob bosses daughter and a secretary. What did they have in common? Well...Maybe the same thing that all of Gotham had, in form or another.

Crime.

Only one way to find out and vanishing into the dark, off I go once more.

Off goes the mask, the slump changes. I'm Matthias once more, if a little paler then usual. I need a haircut and I add it to my mental check list before I flag a taxi down.

"To the Rags and Tatters please. Its a clothing store."

@Michale CS

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2005 - Approx Noon

I take the ticket out and push it across the table.
The atmosphere in there is all wrong for a dry cleaner by the way.
Do your people have something to do with this sir ?
Oh, and maybe an expresso ?
"You kids. Always rushing right to work. Where's the respect? The civility? Bah. Fine. I've been trying to find who nabbed my niece from the moment it happened. So, I sent some boys down to a few other places folks went missing under... similar circumstances shall we say, recently. One of those bums must have dropped the ticket in your sister's place." Thorne picked up the ticket, and with a brief look that seemed to at least pretend to ask for permission, pocketed it.

"Since I think we are looking for the same culprits, I'm going to do the neighborly thing and let you in on what I've got so far. But, you've gotta promise me you'll do your best to find my girl as well. Otherwise, no deal and you can take your espresso to go. Got it?"

@Gands

Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2014 - Approx 9pm - Location: Rags And Tatters, Garment District

Only one way to find out and vanishing into the dark, off I go once more.

Off goes the mask, the slump changes. I'm Matthias once more, if a little paler then usual. I need a haircut and I add it to my mental check list before I flag a taxi down.

"To the Rags and Tatters please. Its a clothing store."
As one would expect for a tailors shop at 9pm at night, it was closed. A flashing light by the front door indicated an alarm, but upstairs, there was a light on in one of the windows.

What to do now?

@Ringmaster

Last edited:
I take a deep breath.

Forgive me sir, the emotions of the moment and all. I certainly meant no offense. I will certainly work to find your daughter as well as my step sister. Have you looked into this at all yourself ? I have found that the personal touch, sometimes brings memories back to folks.

Please tell me what you've found so far .

I'm back to myself again, calm, patient. I had lost it there for a moment. I have to remind myself that Thorn is ... Dangerous. And that I could cause a lot of problems acting like the bull in the china shop. Eyes on the goal Grady.

As one would expect for a tailors shop at 9pm at night, it was closed. A flashing light by the front door indicated an alarm, but upstairs, there was a light on in one of the windows.

What to do now?
Mask on. Gloves and boots prepped.

And almost flying up the wall, Nosferatu headed upward to peek through the window cautiously.

@Michale CS

Forgive me sir, the emotions of the moment and all. I certainly meant no offense. I will certainly work to find your niece as well as my step sister. Have you looked into this at all yourself ? I have found that the personal touch, sometimes brings memories back to folks.

Please tell me what you've found so far .
Thorne waves him on. "Understood. Family. It riles us up when they're brought into these things." He leans back, then reaches into his jacket pocket.

A clatter, then a heavy metal coin is slapped down on the table. Thick, with some sort of glass in the middle. A strange swirled pattern is etched into the thing. "Found this at my daughter's... retreat shall we say? I had everyone I could think of take a look at it, and it's some sort of Svengali thing. You could hypnotize someone with one of these things, they say. Also, my tech boys found traces of hacking. But, she's got one of those iPhones and backs it up all the time, see? I don't got an address, but I got an area. Last time the phone tried to back itself up, it's across the bay in Metropolis. Near the docks somewhere. See, these guys, whoever they are, are trying to make these disappearances look like it's some mutant power or magical mumbo jumbo, but I know better. A very elaborate setup, especially for some of the girls they're taking. It's all females by the way. All twenty to thirty ish, all pretty decent lookin. You see where I'm going with this?"

"You obviously are going to be discrete about this, eh? We don't want anything fluttering around our belfries, if you follow."

@Gands

Dateline: Friday September 2nd, 2014 - Approx Noon

Last edited:
Mask on. Gloves and boots prepped.

And almost flying up the wall, Nosferatu headed upward to peek through the window cautiously.

@Michale CS
There was a series of sheer curtains pulled across the window, obscuring most of what was inside. What was evident was a single desk lamp or some similar light that was on, and at that desk was a swivel chair.
Still swiveling, without an occupant.

@Ringmaster

Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2014 - Approx 9pm

Last edited:
There was a series of sheer curtains pulled across the window, obscuring most of what was inside. What was evident was a single desk lamp or some similar light that was on, and at that desk was a swivel chair.
Still swiveling, without an occupant.

@Ringmaster

Dateline: Thursday September 1st, 2005 - Approx 9pm
Nosferatu clenched his fist and smashed the window, making sure it was heard.

Flipping upward out of sight, he closed his eyes and listened carefully...If anyone ran or tried to escape, he'd know the direction.

And be quick enough to get the drop on them.

@Michale CS

I think a bit, he's right about one thing. someone or something's gone to a lot of trouble. If I had to guess... some sort of ritual maybe. Hacking though... troubling thought.

No sir, we don't want those kinds of pests. Discretion of that type is on my list too. Though I have a couple of guys helping me out right now. I will keep you appraised of course.

Nosferatu clenched his fist and smashed the window, making sure it was heard.

Flipping upward out of sight, he closed his eyes and listened carefully...If anyone ran or tried to escape, he'd know the direction.

And be quick enough to get the drop on them.
He heard nothing. But, he did smell something. Cigarette smoke. Then, he had a strange uneasy feeling for a moment before it passed.

A precious few heartbeats later,he did hear something.
Matt-Ryan-as-John-Constantine-x400.jpg

"Oh for Christ's sake, get in here. Someone will see now that you've gone and bashed the window in. But if you're here to kill me, be warned. I'm a lot harder to kill than it looks like."

Presuming Nosferatu did actually enter the shop, he'd find a cocky British looking man still smoking a cigarette.

"Let's dispense with the posturing shall we? Wastes time. You and I, probably investigating the same thing. I came here to speak with the proprietor, since his car is still parked around back. He's not here, obviously. The police might be shortly, since the place has a silent alarm. So how do you want to handle this?"

He took another drag of his cigarette and looked at Nosferatu. "Name's John, by the way."
@Ringmaster

I think a bit, he's right about one thing. someone or something's gone to a lot of trouble. If I had to guess... some sort of ritual maybe. Hacking though... troubling thought.

No sir, we don't want those kinds of pests. Discretion of that type is on my list too. Though I have a couple of guys helping me out right now. I will keep you appraised of course.
"Then finish your meal. Don't want to see any ally of mine walk away with an empty stomach. Then..."

Thorne leaned in close. "Go find our girls."

@Gands

Status
Not open for further replies.