3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
d1e525c57b80e7b911a24988acc26a6d6ee6c6da2313aa46acfeecb680114598.jpeg

This, is National City. Home of CatCo Worldwide Media, Lord Technologies among other things.

National City is a bustling city that lies between Los Angeles and San Diego along the coast of California, and home to several million people.

Of course, strange things seem to happen here on the regular. Strangely, the city seems to take all of this in stride, maybe partially do to the masterful spins that CatCo seems to put on nearly every unusual event.

It also boasts a large university National City University, touted for its teaching and law programs.

[[ OOC - This will be the freeplay thread for those in the Epic Crossover clan who want to play in National CIty, if you want to play and aren't a member of the clan, please join! ]]​

I look at the soldier, unquestionably brave and honorable. He is moving as if he is wounded.

Stand still Mister Beach.... I will help your healing.

He is bathed in light as I gently use the power cosmic on my new friend, relieving the pain and accelerating his body's natural healing.

There...

I sigh, No deaths this time Mister Beach ? A successful day all things considered !

@Michale CS @Nomad-22

"Much appreciated." Beachhead said after being healed by Sliver Surfer.

Well there was dead, Beach knew, looking at the five corpses of the mercenaries. Then there the wounded one laying faced first on the floor who will need medical attention. Surfer can handle it if he wanted to, but Beach needed to address an issue. Displaying the case, he opened it up for the two superheroes to see the red capsule of poisoned chemical.

"This is what the Skull was after, some kind of chemical weapon. Whoever owns this building has much to answer for."

Then as if on cue, he finally spotted a Cobra insinga inside the case, his eyes narrowing in anger. Of course, it's starting to make sense he thought. Likely, the snakes weren't going to share one of their toys with their rivals such as Red Skull, so the old Nazi staged a raid to get the prize. Yet it left another question for Beachhead.

Just how much of National City have been infiltrated, he wondered to himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gands
Then as if on cue, he finally spotted a Cobra insinga inside the case, his eyes narrowing in anger. Of course, it's starting to make sense he thought. Likely, the snakes weren't going to share one of their toys with their rivals such as Red Skull, so the old Nazi staged a raid to get the prize. Yet it left more questions for Beachhead.

Just how much of National City have been infiltrated, he wondered to himself.
"Oh, wow. You actually shoot people. I mean dead. I know that's what you do but... I don't think I could ever do that." Doreen had a serious moment for once.

"I'm... just going to get this to a friend of mine at STAR Labs, okay?" She made a few more chk-chk sounds and the squirrels disappeared. Doreen turned and in a flash of fluffy tail, she was gone, and the device Skull was rigging up with her.

@Gands @Nomad-22

"Oh, wow. You actually shoot people. I mean dead. I know that's what you do but... I don't think I could ever do that." Doreen had a serious moment for once.

"I pray that you never to have." Beach replied with full sincerity to Doreen. As a soldier he was trained throughly to kill and complete objectives, even by ruthless means. That was one of the main differences between him and many Capes like Squrriel Girl and Sliver Surfer. Yet he and the rest of GI JOE were also tasked to protect innocent lives as much as possible.

Wayne hoped his new partners would understand that.

"I'm... just going to get this to a friend of mine at STAR Labs, okay?" She made a few more chk-chk sounds and the squirrels disappeared. Doreen turned and in a flash of fluffy tail, she was gone, and the device Skull was rigging up with her.

@Gands @Nomad-22

When Squrriel Girl disappeared Beachhead turned with a salute to Surfer and said.

"It's been a privilege working with you, Sliver Surfer. I take things from here."

"I . . . not that I can recall." Kara moved her pen across the paper, trying to write a coherent sentence but in reality writing random words in both English and Kryptonese. Crap, crap, crap! The DEO isn't careless enough to release that information; J'onn would never allow for such a slip-up. And Kal-El . . . Clark would have warned her, suggest she hide in the Fortress of Solitude. Maybe he doesn't know their weakness is no longer a government secret. The tip of her pen tore a small hole in the paper; Kara couldn't trust anyone anymore. But who would reveal that?

Maxwell Lord. If anyone had a bone to pick with aliens right now, it was that company CEO. He blatantly stated his distrust of her and had actually developed a synthetic version of radioactive mineral. Albeit it was red and not as sickening as green Kryptonite, but still: it was Kryptonite! Alex made sure the man would not tell anyone of his discovery but that didn't mean he had already done so before or tell how he found out about it.

Would that mean this woman sitting right across from her, has connections to Lord? And could the fact that she is carrying a weapon in the shape of a bat also indicate a connection with Lord and the Batman?

"Well, Bruce Wayne seems like a good man if he gave you a second chance, but of course school is important." She cleared her throat. Alright, the last leg of the interview. She wished to get this over with and get out of here, but it was protocol and damned she be if HR gave her an earful even if she knew she didn't want to be anywhere near this woman.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

@Michale CS

"I . . . not that I can recall." Kara moved her pen across the paper, trying to write a coherent sentence but in reality writing random words in both English and Kryptonese. Crap, crap, crap! The DEO isn't careless enough to release that information; J'onn would never allow for such a slip-up. And Kal-El . . . Clark would have warned her, suggest she hide in the Fortress of Solitude. Maybe he doesn't know their weakness is no longer a government secret. The tip of her pen tore a small hole in the paper; Kara couldn't trust anyone anymore. But who would reveal that?

Maxwell Lord. If anyone had a bone to pick with aliens right now, it was that company CEO. He blatantly stated his distrust of her and had actually developed a synthetic version of radioactive mineral. Albeit it was red and not as sickening as green Kryptonite, but still: it was Kryptonite! Alex made sure the man would not tell anyone of his discovery but that didn't mean he had already done so before or tell how he found out about it.

Would that mean this woman sitting right across from her, has connections to Lord? And could the fact that she is carrying a weapon in the shape of a bat also indicate a connection with Lord and the Batman?

"Well, Bruce Wayne seems like a good man if he gave you a second chance, but of course school is important." She cleared her throat. Alright, the last leg of the interview. She wished to get this over with and get out of here, but it was protocol and damned she be if HR gave her an earful even if she knew she didn't want to be anywhere near this woman.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

@Michale CS

"Other than when do I start?"
I started.

"Yeah. You wanna go get some coffee or something after you're off today? I think I really put my foot in it today and I'd love a chance to explain..." I looked down at my purse then back to her. I figured she'd seen the weapon in my purse and I honestly wanted a chance to explain. I mean, I don't know what I was planning, I sure as Hell wasn't going to tell her my secret ID... Was I? But I wanted her to know that I wasn't a psycho who went around with a knife in my purse.

"Listen, I'm a really good people reader and I can tell I really spooked you. You can pick the place. I just need a chance to explain. I'll buy. Please?"

@Yuuki_Tatsunohi

"I—oh." Kara blinked in surprise at Stephanie's forwardness in asking her to meet up later. It's either Kara is not as inscrutable as she thought or Stephanie has some really, really good instincts. "I-I get off at five but—"

"Listen, I'm a really good people reader and I can tell I really spooked you. You can pick the place. I just need a chance to explain. I'll buy. Please?"

"Fine. 6:30, Noonan's Restaurant. It's about two blocks away from here in case you're wondering where that is." She wrote the designated time on a scrap of paper and slid it over to Stephanie. Kara stood, tucking all files into the folder. "That is all there is for the interview." Not even bothering to offer one last handshake, she crossed the room and held open the door, giving the woman a strained smile. "Have a good day, Ms. Brown."

@Michale CS

"Fine. 6:30, Noonan's Restaurant. It's about two blocks away from here in case you're wondering where that is." She wrote the designated time on a scrap of paper and slid it over to Stephanie. Kara stood, tucking all files into the folder. "That is all there is for the interview." Not even bothering to offer one last handshake, she crossed the room and held open the door, giving the woman a strained smile. "Have a good day, Ms. Brown."
I smile at the response. "You too, Ms. Danvers. I'll see you at six-thirty." I'm positively beaming at this news. Bruce was right. He always told me if you want to get somewhere with someone take them entirely by surprise from an unexpected angle. Apparently it worked for conversations as well as fights.

I dash out of the building and head back to my place. I've only got a couple hours to spruce up and not be wearing my Heron gear under my clothes and to get something... more casual looking yet not sloppy. I gotta let her know, somehow... that I'm not some strange creep or - I dunno. I also need to find out if she really saw the batarang like I thought she did. Those subtle shifts of mood during the conversation. It also felt like she was straining to hear something now and then too. She had this... look of concentration but over the top, it's a mask of calm.

How do I know all of this? Well, I'm damned observant, and... the number of times I've had that intense look hidden behind a fake casual demeanor on my face? I had a nickel for each time that happened I'd be as rich as Bruce.

I get home and try a few things out for size to wear...
I eventually settle on this. It looks kinda dressy but casual and the jacket, I dunno why I picked the jacket but it seemed to go. I mean, I tried like ten combos before I ended up with this.
Then, I have to figure out in my head what I'm going to say to her.

So... I practice in front of the mirror.
"Kara, I'm Batgirl. Or I used to be, Now I'm fighting crime as the Heron here in National City while going to school so I need a job that I can breeze through so I have at least some time to relax? Oh yeah, that'll fly, Steph."
"Kara, I can explain about what you saw in my purse. I found that in Gotham and I've been kind of carrying it around since? I have no idea how to use it but just posing with it scares muggers off? Too far the other way."
"Kara, I do a lot of volunteer work at night, so I'm going to having to juggle that, work and school. I can do it, honest. I really need this job or I'll have to give up on my scholarship. That's closer. Technically all of it is true. We'll go with something similar to that. But what about the batarang?"
"And about that... thing you probably saw in my purse. I'm a girl in a new town and I just felt safer carrying it. Also true. Well, you got a lot of the questions covered Steph, let's just see how this goes when you meet her."

When the appointed time comes, I'm like fifteen minutes early this time. I worry for a bit but then I see Kara rush in, looking harried again. Wow, she must have worked overtime or something. Then I look up at the TV. Supergirl. Saved a car from going off a bridge, like ten minutes ago. Man, what I wouldn't give to meet her!

"Hi, Kara. I started myself off with Iced Tea. I didn't know what you'd want so... I kinda just waited. I'm really glad you showed up." I'd picked a table while near the window so she could see me when she approached the place, was also near the corner so less people could hear us if I ended up saying something... well a little stupid like tipping my hand about my real volunteer 'job'.

@Yuuki_Tatsunohi

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Yuuki_Tatsunohi
"South African... so, they serve white rice and black beans, and you have to keep them on opposite sides of the plate? What, too soon?" She joked, standing and moving over to Tyler with a sly smile on her face. "I'm sure it will be lovely. Tyler."

Tyler playfully raised an eyebrow [BCOLOR=#000000]"I'll allow it, but watch yourself conselor that's R2-D Too Soon"[/BCOLOR]

The wit, why did it always have to be the wit? Just like his grandmother. Of course the only reason he found it distracting instead of entertaining was likely his agenda, speaking of which:

Attempt #1: The building.

Tyler looked around the building [BCOLOR=#000000]"It looks like you've got a nice home for yourself Sibohan. Big, luxurious, and right in the middle of the National City scene. We've been developing protections for just this type of place. It must be nice living here, eh?"[/BCOLOR]

Tyler looked around the building [BCOLOR=#000000]"It looks like you've got a nice home for yourself Sibohan. Big, luxurious, and right in the middle of the National City scene. We've been developing protections for just this type of place. It must be nice living here, eh?"[/BCOLOR]
"This is just the lobby. I do have a nice apartment here, though. It's... a lot better than the last place I lived." She thought back to the cell she was in at the DEO. Thank God, Lord had gotten her out of there. "I'm not really sure what kind of security it has. I think LexCorp? I seem to have seen the logo on a sticker on a door somewhere."

"But I'm sure you're used to houses that you haven't even been to all of the rooms in, Tyler."

@Kingof192

Beachhead got a knock on the... window, of the office that he used during the day on campus as his PR location. It was Doreen.
"Hi! Are you free right now? I have some information on the device the Red Skeletor was trying to activate." Doreen seemed entirely comfortable with the fact she was hanging upside down and talking to Beach through the window.

@Nomad-22

Beachhead got a knock on the... window, of the office that he used during the day on campus as his PR location. It was Doreen.
"Hi! Are you free right now? I have some information on the device the Red Skeletor was trying to activate." Doreen seemed entirely comfortable with the fact she was hanging upside down and talking to Beach through the window.

@Nomad-22

"Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, and freakin paperwork." Beachhead muttered to himself, sitting at a desk, filing out a form with a dozen more to go. The college wasn't his first choice to set up a public relations center but SHIELD command was quite insisted. To give the best exposure for their cause against the terrorist threat they claimed. In Beach's opinion however, it pained the campus as a bigger target for the likes of Cobra, something he didn't want to happen.

Hearing the knock on the widow on the right, Beach nearally jumped at the sight of a girl hanging upside down from a tree, until releazing who it is. He starting to think this girl like pulling stunts as this on purpose to get a rise out of folks.

Heaven protect us if she and Shipwreck ever meet.

Even so Doreen's interrupation was welcomed in comparison to the further 'bureaucratic wonders'. Especially since she had information on the Red Skull device they took from the last mission. Nodding beneath his green mask, the ranger replied in his Alabama drawl.

"By all means come on in and share Doreen."

Then he opened the widow allowing for her to come into the office.

Last edited:
"By all means come on in and share Doreen."

Then he opened the widow allowing for her to come into the office.
She swung in and landed with a "Hup!" Sound and placed a bag of mixed nuts - unshelled - on his desk along with a squirrel-themed nutcracker before moving over to sit in a chair across from him.

"You know, I could never do a full face mask. I used to do makeup but that made me look like some kind of creepy clown girl. Do you really need to wear that since people like actually know your name?" She asked, then pulled out her phone, and looked it over.

"Soo... what he had was a miniaturized version of this? I dunno, I fell asleep twice before I could watch it all the way through. Boorinnng! It looked like he was going to turn the water system of the apartment complex into a kind of power plant? But, the guys at STAR said that the pipes in the building wouldn't put up for that for long so... it would kinda... blow up? But like up, up... as in there'd be a lot of steam and it would rise really high. And... when you put that together with the scary vial of death that they were going to steal? I guess they were going to poison... a lot of people?"

@Nomad-22

She swung in and landed with a "Hup!" Sound and placed a bag of mixed nuts - unshelled - on his desk along with a squirrel-themed nutcracker before moving over to sit in a chair across from him.

"You know, I could never do a full face mask. I used to do makeup but that made me look like some kind of creepy clown girl. Do you really need to wear that since people like actually know your name?" She asked, then pulled out her phone, and looked it over.

Beach raised a curious eyebrow at the sight of the nuts and nutcracker before choosing to ignore it. At Squrriel Girl's comment about the mask, the Joe shrugged his shoulders.

"It's a force of habit."

Of course he didn't mention that he also felt more comfortable wearing the mask. It reminded him to be alert and focused when on duty, of course he wasn't going to share all that. Instead he watched the video on Squrriel Girl's phone, silently.

"Soo... what he had was a miniaturized version of this? I dunno, I fell asleep twice before I could watch it all the way through. Boorinnng! It looked like he was going to turn the water system of the apartment complex into a kind of power plant? But, the guys at STAR said that the pipes in the building wouldn't put up for that for long so... it would kinda... blow up? But like up, up... as in there'd be a lot of steam and it would rise really high. And... when you put that together with the scary vial of death that they were going to steal? I guess they were going to poison... a lot of people?"

@Nomad-22

The clip was borning to the least, yet Doreen's explanation about what could've been were a terrifying prospect. Fortunately they and Sliver Surfer teamed up and prevented this attack. Otherwise National City would've became noting more than a massive graveyard. That made Beach all on the more determined to root out the weeds in this city.

"Indeed, its good thing we stopped it from happening, still there more to be done. The mercs we caught from the other day are in lock-up at the police station. I'm going to pay them a visit, you're welcome to come along."

Last edited:
Reactions: Michale CS
"This is just the lobby. I do have a nice apartment here, though. It's... a lot better than the last place I lived." She thought back to the cell she was in at the DEO. Thank God, Lord had gotten her out of there. "I'm not really sure what kind of security it has. I think LexCorp? I seem to have seen the logo on a sticker on a door somewhere."

"But I'm sure you're used to houses that you haven't even been to all of the rooms in, Tyler."

Tyler smiled a bit. Attempt number one was a victory. Smythe didn't know or was not letting on, but they had finally begun to communicate a bit.

[BCOLOR=#000000]"Actually, not at all. That would keep me up nights. I'm more the sort that keeps finding new uses for rooms and then has them added on. I'm glad you asked, though. Well then, shall we? Segregated food awaits."[/BCOLOR]

Tyler walked with her out to where the limo waited, [BCOLOR=#000000]"What's the word, Ralphus?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#333333]"Flying rhino, sir." [/BCOLOR]he said, opening the back door.

Instincively, Tyler looked at the roof of the apartment building, but quickly turned his attention back to Smythe.[BCOLOR=#000000] "Do you have any suggestions for after dinner, Sibohan?" [/BCOLOR]

• Love
Reactions: Michale CS
"Actually, not at all. That would keep me up nights. I'm more the sort that keeps finding new uses for rooms and then has them added on. I'm glad you asked, though. Well then, shall we? Segregated food awaits."
"Like the Winchester Mystery House in San Simeon, but useful. Charming." She replied, and followed him.

Instincively, Tyler looked at the roof of the apartment building, but quickly turned his attention back to Smythe.[BCOLOR=#000000] "Do you have any suggestions for after dinner, Sibohan?" [/BCOLOR]
"Well yes, but many of them aren't appropriate for a first date. Dancing, somewhere, might be nice?"

@Kingof192

Beach raised a curious eyebrow at the sight of the nuts and nutcracker before choosing to ignore it. At Squrriel Girl's comment about the mask, the Joe shrugged his shoulders.

"It's a force of habit."

Of course he didn't mention that he also felt more comfortable wearing the mask. It reminded him to be alert and focused when on duty, of course he wasn't going to share all that. Instead he watched the video on Squrriel Girl's phone, silently.

The clip was borning to the least, yet Doreen's explanation about what could've been were a terrifying prospect. Fortunately they and Sliver Surfer teamed up and prevented this attack. Otherwise National City would've became noting more than a massive graveyard. That made Beach all on the more determined to root out the weeds in this city.

"Indeed, its good thing we stopped it from happening, still there more to be done. The mercs we caught from the other day are in lock-up at the police station. I'm going to pay them a visit, you're welcome to come along."
"Sure! Can I bring the Teenage Friendly Ninja Squirrels along? Ahhhh guessing from that look that's a no? Fine. Just me then." She replied and grinned at him. "When do we go?"

@Nomad-22

"I don't know."

Those had been the words she said to D'Keth after she had spared him. After he intended to reward her for forfeiting vengeance with a medal of the Order of K'Thari. After she refused, smacking the medal away and called him an idiot for thinking she wanted anything from the Shi'ar world that killed so many of her family. After he asked how to repay her, after she showed him her memories of the Death Commando's massacre of the Grey family. A wholesale slaughter that didn't even take half a minute. Most couldn't even defend themselves from the attack D'Keth encouraged. 24 seconds of time, enough damage to last generations.

And...it was after he asked how she goes on with such heartache and a lot more besides. That was her answer then.

But now, as she sat on the edge of one of the taller skyscrapers in the city, perhaps her answer would be "all the small things." Things very easily overlooked when you spend mornings thwarting alien invasions or afternoons preventing disasters. The things she picked up with a quick scan of the city. A line of cars in a Starbucks drive thru, every driver paying for the drinks of the car behind him or her. A chain store employee covering for the illness of another, even though he hadn't gotten any sleep. Those who donated for the homeless, those who gave up bus seats to the elderly, those who spent their days just trying to bring smiles to everyone they could. Little acts of kindness that stood out amongst the hatred and racism.

A reminder that as bad as it can get, there's still plenty of good out there. Besides...the Grey family still lives on. The fact that she is still here serves as testament to that. ...As well as her younger, time displaced mother which...really was an awkward can of worms she really didn't feel like opening.

No mind she had read lately had a good enough answer for how to even start a conversation like that.​

Reactions: Nomad-22
Kara watched Stephanie go. Once Stephanie's back was turned, Kara lowered her glasses and used her x-ray vision on the other woman. Underneath her clothes was what looked like a full body leather suit with padding around her knees, shoulders, and elbows. What on earth do you need that for?

Kara went in the opposite direction, back to her desk. She pulled out her phone and rushed to the nearest balcony on her floor. With fingers trembling, she swiped across the screen, looking for a certain number.

"Agent Danvers."

"Alex? It's Kara. I think somebody out there has Kryptonite."

"Kryptonite?"

"I don't how to explain it. This lady came in for an interview and she knew about Kryptonite. She even called it by its name! And I'm going to meet her later tonight." She could just imagine the look of disapproval on her sister's face as she was receiving this information. Meeting a potential enemy for coffee. Nice one, Kara. "It's gonna be at Noonan's. Can you stop by?"

Alex sighed. "I'll be there."

The day passed by like a breeze. Kara had just stepped out of the building when she picked up on a police radio calling for any nearby units to help a car that was hanging off a bridge. Soon after, a fire truck sped by with flashing lights and blaring sirens. She looked at the time on her phone; well, there's plenty of time to make this quick rescue.

Kara landed in the alley beside Noonan's when the car was safe. She little later than she would have liked, and she didn't even have enough time to change into fresh clothes, having to wear the same outfit she wore to work today but at least she knew some people would get another chance to live tonight. Also, her clothes still smelled clean.

She saw Stephanie sitting by the window, a drink in hand. Kara smoothed her sweater and walked right in. Alex was already here, having secluded herself to a corner of the restaurant to remain inconspicuous. Both sisters met eyes once but did not acknowledge each other. With one last breath, Kara approached the table where Stephanie was sitting.

"Sorry I'm late. I was swamped with work at the last minute." A waiter came by and Kara ordered her go-to coffee: spiced pumpkin with extra foam and cinnamon. She sat opposite of Stephanie, adjusting her glasses to use her x-ray vision again; apparently, Stephanie had decided to forgo her weird suit. Well, Kara wasn't planning on bringing up that bat knife she saw either; just doing so screams she is not human. "Alright, um, explain yourself."

@Michale CS

"Sure! Can I bring the Teenage Friendly Ninja Squirrels along? Ahhhh guessing from that look that's a no? Fine. Just me then." She replied and grinned at him. "When do we go?"

@Nomad-22

Beach's stern eyes to Doreen made it firmly clear he wasn't going to bring a pack of ninja masked squirrels to the station. He had a hard enough time, convincing the police chief to let him interview the prisoners in the first place. Then the ranger returned the grin with one of his own beneath the mask.

"As soon as you're freed."

Afterward when it was cleared, Beachhead with Squrriel Girl made the trip down to the station. The cops had working around the clock, trying make each of the mercs, with little result.

Would've been nice to have Chuckles to help out with all of this. He's an artist when it comes to intelligence gathering.

Even so he will have to make due, Beach concluded, sitting inside an investigation room with Squrriel Girl. From across opposite side of the table, with handcuffs was one of the captured mercenaries, Mark Nelson. Wearing an orange prison, Mark was a brown haired and heavy bearded fellow, standing at six feet and one inches tall, with a deifnat green eyes to match it.

"So Mister Nelson care to explain your recent activities?"

Beach asked.

"Go to hell redneck."

You first, the ranger thought to himself but instead replied.

"Come on, makes this easy on yourself. Ya don't owe your former employer anything, he left you and the others after all."

With a sneering grunt, the harden merc answered back.

"My life. Noting that you and chestnut here can do, will compare to that skull-faced bastard if he gets his hands on me."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.