3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
Title: Monkey See, Monkey Do.
Power level: Enhanced to Global
Look/Feel: [Mastermind's Machievellian Plot ]

Mission Full

Los-Angeles-Skyline.jpg

Los Angeles. one of the Crown Jewels of the West coast, as coined by CatCo Worldwide Media, along with National City, San Diego, San Francisco, and Coast City.
Crime is no stranger to Los Angeles with one of the highest crime rates of cities in California. But, crime, after a fashion was somewhat predictable. People choose a life of crime, and recidivism in criminals is high.

What is strange is a rash of burglaries, armed robberies and other type of theft from people who had never committed crimes before. Even more strange - none of them remember committing these crimes, even under polygraph. They simply don't remember. Most of the thefts were from law abiding citizens who had never even had so much as a traffic ticket. Those who weren't caught during the act dumped their ill gotten gains somewhere that they cannot remember, even with trained psychologists aiding them.

This sounds like a job for...

You, maybe?​

Last edited:
I felt my pulse start to quicken. Somebody was knocking on my door, and I didn't dare answer. The monster had not appeared in this world, and I wasn't about to let him do it now. Not when surrounded by volatile gasses and people we didn't really want to hurt. Hercules said something I didn't quite understand, but I think he meant it as a way out. I went for the speedboat to start it up hoping that they would not decide to open fire on me for doing so. For their sake.

"I'm sorry, they are making me angry..."

Hercules

Grinning, I yell out to the shield agents and Cardiff. " Cardiff, your resignation is not accepted. Welcome back to the game folks ! Morningstar, I don't think whatever gas is in this ridiculous damned thing is going to harm you and as long as I hold my breath, me either. Eisely, you have the best shot at defusing this thing, Banner, I have a camera set up for my headband, Cardiff can set up a remote pick up so you can watch and maybe help. Tepes, keep an eye out for interference. "

@Michale CS @Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9 @york @Kingof192
Cardiff's Olympian heritage coupled with the facts that Grodd was not actively giving her orders at the moment and Morningstar was, let her break free, and ordered her team to stand down. They did, in confusion because they were ordered by Grodd to follow her orders.

Cardiff shook her head. "I have one better. I tied a feed into the communicators I gave each of you. Just turn to the same channel as Eisley."

Howard however, had a problem. "Hey Herc, the gas that's in there is under pressure. Poke a hole in it and it's gonna stream out like poking a hole in a waterballoon. You need another container for it. I got a spare sail belowdecks. Should be airtight cause its waterproof. It ain't as big as that duck is though... naw. Scratch that. These guys made a heck of an airtight death trap."

Tepes, at this point finished his scan of the area with his enhanced senses. "Hey, ain't that an oil well out there on the water aways? I know that you can't have an oil well unless you got a hole for the bad air down there to get out or you get yourself an explosion. You don't suppose that that kind of oil well has an air vent?"

Eisley did a quick search using her suit's systems and found that indeed there was a ventilation shaft. But... how to get the poison from inside the duck to safely in a deep sea oil well?

[[ OOC sorry for doing an IC post for Tepes but I'm only NPCing you juust a little. Hope you don't mind so much Ringmaster ]]

@Ringmaster @york @Gands @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9

Last edited:
Cardiff's Olympian heritage coupled with the facts that Grodd was not actively giving her orders at the moment and Morningstar was, let her break free, and ordered her team to stand down. They did, in confusion because they were ordered by Grodd to follow her orders.

Cardiff shook her head. "I have one better. I tied a feed into the communicators I gave each of you. Just turn to the same channel as Eisley."

Howard however, had a problem. "Hey Herc, the gas that's in there is under pressure. Poke a hole in it and it's gonna stream out like poking a hole in a waterballoon. You need another container for it. I got a spare sail belowdecks. Should be airtight cause its waterproof. It ain't as big as that duck is though... naw. Scratch that. These guys made a heck of an airtight death trap."

Tepes, at this point finished his scan of the area with his enhanced senses. "Hey, ain't that an oil well out there on the water aways? I know that you can't have an oil well unless you got a hole for the bad air down there to get out or you get yourself an explosion. You don't suppose that that kind of oil well has an air vent?"

Eisley did a quick search using her suit's systems and found that indeed there was a ventilation shaft. But... how to get the poison from inside the duck to safely in a deep sea oil well?

[[ OOC sorry for doing an IC post for Tepes but I'm only NPCing you juust a little. Hope you don't mind so much Ringmaster ]]

@Ringmaster @york @Gands @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9
Hercules

" We'll have to get this damned thing over towards that Oil well"

I get back onto the boat, giving Morningstar a friendly smack on the shoulder and walking over to hug Cardiff.

@Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kingof192 @york @Ringmaster
Eisley Cloud
@Michale CS @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kingof192 @Gands @Ringmaster

Eisley frowned, rubbing her chin a little... Herc's idea to get the duck towards that oil well seemed sound, but she realized that it wasn't entirely bullet proof, since they had to have some way of directing the gas from the vent on that ducky.

"Hey, anyone got a big fan around? Looks like this thing has a vent, but I wouldn't risk using it without a way to direct that gas." She said.

Perhaps she was being overly cautious, but well... The last thing she wanted was that gas to float off in the wrong direction, leaving them with a pretty big mess on their hands.​

"Hey, anyone got a big fan around? Looks like this thing has a vent, but I wouldn't risk using it without a way to direct that gas." She said.

Perhaps she was being overly cautious, but well... The last thing she wanted was that gas to float off in the wrong direction, leaving them with a pretty big mess on their hands.
Howard responded first. "Yeah, I always keep a giant fan on my yacht juust so I can blow away gasses from a poison rubber ducky." He scoffed, then tapped his beak a couple of times. "All I got down there is the usual stuff - lifejackets, a couple of those pull the cord and they fill up lifeboats, the bilge pump and hose, and a big roll of bubble wrap. Don't judge."

Why all the Bold Type? Ah, I get it, clues. Some combination of those things will work. Though I have to have me a talk with Howard about bubble wrap...

@york @Ringmaster @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9 @Gands

Howard responded first. "Yeah, I always keep a giant fan on my yacht juust so I can blow away gasses from a poison rubber ducky." He scoffed, then tapped his beak a couple of times. "All I got down there is the usual stuff - lifejackets, a couple of those pull the cord and they fill up lifeboats, the bilge pump and hose, and a big roll of bubble wrap. Don't judge."

Why all the Bold Type? Ah, I get it, clues. Some combination of those things will work. Though I have to have me a talk with Howard about bubble wrap...

@york @Ringmaster @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9 @Gands
Hercules

Maybe we can reverse the bilge pump ? Or use it to suck in the gas to a different balloon we make from the sailcloth ?

Think people!

@Michale CS @york @Kingof192 @Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9
Eisley Cloud
@Michale CS @Gands @Kingof192 @Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9

Eisley frowned, Hercules had the right idea with the bilge pump, but she realized that pumping it into balloon wouldn't do, but... Just then, she realized something; if they were to be able to position this just right, she might be able to use the bilges hose to move the gas underneath an overturned lifeboat, and alternate as each one reached its capacity.

Then, from there, they could transport them to that vent, and drain the gasses through there.

"Hey! I got it! If we can just flip those lifeboats over, we could pump that gas under them, and ferry it over to that vent!" She said.

Though this wasn't a completely bullet proof plan, she hoped that with a little luck on their side, the gasses would be held by those lifeboats just long enough for them to ferry the worst of it towards a vent.

• Useful
Reactions: Michale CS
Howard shrugged. "The lifeboats are tiny in comparison to the duck. We'd be doin that for awhile, with any little wave maybe upending a... well... smaller amounts of that gas would get carried over the breeze. Maybe you just need to cause a slow leak? Unless the failsafe is triggered by lack of air pressure on it, then boom."

Tepes tapped his chin. "I'm a lot better at problems I can just shoot. But if it's air pressure you need, I can turn into mist for a stretch while you suck all the air out. Gas isn't going to bother me while I'm gas too. Did it in a gold mine once, back in the day. So I guess I'd be holding the pressure on the gizmo while you get the poison gas out of the thing then one of you science types can pull the right cord to shut off the contraption."

Cardiff stared at Tepes in amazement. "That's a great idea. But we need a little more help from Morningstar, we're attracting a crowd." She gestured to a trio of boats headed toward their group. "He'll have to get on the horn and warn them off... forcefully."

"We need Banner to confirm through that camera relay that there aren't any other biological agents attached to the failsafe as I doubt Eisley has enough transformative biochem knowledge to be sure that she won't monkey-fy the moment she starts working on it. And Sir?"

She turned to face Hercules. "Once we poke a hole in that thing it's going to want to rocket across the water like the giant popped balloon it will be. Holding onto the winch cable won't work. It'll just drag the yacht, with as much pressure it seems to be under. You're gonna have to have another Trial, one where you swim away from the duck as it tries to get away from you."

@york @Kingof192 @Gands @Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9

Hercules

"Holding it presents more of a mental challenge. While I'm swimming it's mostly just my weight holding it down.. I need to anchor to something or I'm going to float off like a circus act. "

@Michale CS @york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Kingof192

"Holding it presents more of a mental challenge. While I'm swimming it's mostly just my weight holding it down.. I need to anchor to something or I'm going to float off like a circus act. "
"I can drop anchor, if you think it'll help." Howard offered. "We're out in the middle of the ocean now practically. Only other thing that's not going anywhere around here is the oil rig itself."

@Gands @york @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9

Lucifer had been paying attention for a while and trying to figure out what to do, when he noticed that people were coming to look at the area. The last thing they needed was more people involved in this mess. He activated his charm and went to the loudspeaker. " I would advise that you go back to the shore. This is nothing interesting, just a normal day on the water. There is nothing strange on or near this boat," he said.

@Gands @york @Kingof192 @Michale CS

• Thank You
Howard shrugged. "The lifeboats are tiny in comparison to the duck. We'd be doin that for awhile, with any little wave maybe upending a... well... smaller amounts of that gas would get carried over the breeze. Maybe you just need to cause a slow leak? Unless the failsafe is triggered by lack of air pressure on it, then boom."

Tepes tapped his chin. "I'm a lot better at problems I can just shoot. But if it's air pressure you need, I can turn into mist for a stretch while you suck all the air out. Gas isn't going to bother me while I'm gas too. Did it in a gold mine once, back in the day. So I guess I'd be holding the pressure on the gizmo while you get the poison gas out of the thing then one of you science types can pull the right cord to shut off the contraption."

Cardiff stared at Tepes in amazement. "That's a great idea. But we need a little more help from Morningstar, we're attracting a crowd." She gestured to a trio of boats headed toward their group. "He'll have to get on the horn and warn them off... forcefully."

"We need Banner to confirm through that camera relay that there aren't any other biological agents attached to the failsafe as I doubt Eisley has enough transformative biochem knowledge to be sure that she won't monkey-fy the moment she starts working on it. And Sir?"

She turned to face Hercules. "Once we poke a hole in that thing it's going to want to rocket across the water like the giant popped balloon it will be. Holding onto the winch cable won't work. It'll just drag the yacht, with as much pressure it seems to be under. You're gonna have to have another Trial, one where you swim away from the duck as it tries to get away from you."

@york @Kingof192 @Ringmaster @LuckycoolHawk9
Hercules

@Michale CS @york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ringmaster @Kingof192
"I can drop anchor, if you think it'll help." Howard offered. "We're out in the middle of the ocean now practically. Only other thing that's not going anywhere around here is the oil rig itself."

@Gands @york @Kingof192 @LuckycoolHawk9
Lucifer had been paying attention for a while and trying to figure out what to do, when he noticed that people were coming to look at the area. The last thing they needed was more people involved in this mess. He activated his charm and went to the loudspeaker. " I would advise that you go back to the shore. This is nothing interesting, just a normal day on the water. There is nothing strange on or near this boat," he said.

@Gands @york @Kingof192 @Michale CS
Eisley Cloud
@Gands @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kingof192 @Michale CS

Eisley looked over the contraption carefully, seems like they had things mostly planned out... Down to dealing with the few issues that they might still have, even with her plan in place. WIth any luck, they'd be able to ferry the gas away in time, presuming that there wasn't any complications, speaking of which... It looked like a trio of boats were headed their way.

Just to make sure they weren't dealing with some sort of task force trying to stop them from disarming this little chemical bomb or whatever, she tried to get a good look at the occupants on the boats, rubbing her chin a little. Looks like she was mostly just keeping watch for now, till Banner gets some more definite confirmations on just what was inside that ducky.

As I often do, I found myself trying to answer questions that weren't even really the correction questions. I only had limited time with the chemicals, and more limited time with the failsafe.

"I'm sorry, I don't know everything about the chemicals. In ordinary circumstances, I would not approve of this. " A thought flashed through my mind- what would they do with an approval from Doctor Banner while their Hulk was exiled? There's no validity in that, still...

"In this case, the unknown dangers are less than the known crises." A whimsical image of a monkey-fish crossed my mind, then one of a monkey-squid

"Take every precaution, and move forward"

I looked at the gunships, answering them as much as the question I was being asked.

"Sometimes, it has to be that way"

It was... a strange plan. Oddly enough... it worked. It took them some time to get the gasses vented enough and enough good air pumped into the duck to let Eisley work while Tepes kept the pressure on the failsafe, while Hercules and Banner managed to detach the biological materials.

Morningstar joined the SHIELD agents with warding off the attention, and played the whole thing off as if it were a movie shoot, featuring Howard the Duck

"A movie starring me?" He shivered. "They'll probably use some silly costume or badly done CGI. It'll never fly." He told Morningstar confidentially before he sold it whole hog along with the fallen angel turned night club owner.

However, by the time they handled the situation, Grodd was long gone and this time left no evidence for even ECSI to find. He'd made good his escape.

...elsewhere, in a Lord Technologies facility in National City...
"Open the doors. I'm allowed to be here." a nicely dressed Englishman said.
"You're allowed to be here." the guard parroted.
He went from room to room in the facility, when he finally came across the one thing he wanted. A large hangar of sorts, with a large cylinder in the middle of the room with... what looked like a red 18-wheeler truck inside of an eerie blue energy field.
"You've just been given orders to free the alien prisoner. Set its stasis to expire in one hour." Kilgrave ordered.

"One hour. It is set." The tech did as was told while the other one started to reach for an alarm.
"That button is too hot to touch. In fact you burned yourself badly." He snapped, and the woman screeched, holding her hand to her torso.

"In one minute you will find your hand is healed and that this gentleman is a COBRA agent. You will have a bout of heroism and kill him with this gun." Kilgrave handed a standard issue COBRA blaster pistol to the woman. When the man became alarmed he added a command to him.
"You're really depressed and will be happy for her to kill you. Sit here and wait for it to happen. Play some solitaire on the computer." He ordered and the man settled down and solemnly started up a game.
He turned to the woman again. "Once you've killed him, scrub all of the data on every machine in here before leaving, and explain the man was planting a virus and you had to in order to stop it. Also... both of you. I was never here."
"You were never here."
"There's some good folks." He gave an appreciative look over the vehicle trapped in stasis. "If I had any sort of reasonable assurance my power would work on you, I'd stick around. Be it as it is, I don't so... I trust your wrath will keep Lord busy while I send him my request to cease and desist with a particular formula of his..."

He turned, and, whistling walked out past the guards, whom he told to fall asleep and forget the past two hours, dropping a few hints that would effectively frame a particular known COBRA affiliate.
"Doctor Mindbender. Huh. If I were to take an alternate name, I might just like that one. But me? A doctor? Who'd believe it?"
~Main Chapter Fin~

~Epilogue~

blue
  • Due to Lucifer Morningstar, Agent Cardiff, and the SHIELD agents, the events at the Port of Los Angeles were spun effectively to end up in the entertainment section of the Times.
  • Thanks to the combined effort of Doc Samson, David Banner, and a helping hand from the android known as The Vision, the four transformed victims were restored, and four very confused Capuchin monkeys were returned to the Los Angeles Zoo.
  • Hercules was given his first SHIELD commendation for defusing the situation, despite the fact that one of his consultant team used deadly force when not specifically needed - it was essentially written off because Hercules could have objectively done little to prevent it, and the death actually saved lives in the long run.
  • Eisley Cloud kept her contract with Lord. There was a pause to the campaign due to a sudden recall of the original formula of the drink, but it started up within a week with a new improved formula. One that didn't seem to give any special resistance to mind control.
  • Combined efforts including those necromantic, could not locate either Grodd or Killgrave.

[fieldbox="OOC, yellow, dotted"] Please post your own epilogues, and more importantly, let me know as a GM which of the Freeplay cities you are headed to with your PCs, or if you're giving them a break for now. Thanks for your participation![/fieldbox]

Lucifer's Epilogue-

From the logs of Linda Martin, Session 314, Novemberish- I shall correct this later

Lucifer looked over at the log from the doctor that he had just gone to see. So, okay, maybe he had stolen it, but he wasn't about to leave her alone with if she didn't believe him. He looked over at them and tossed them, deciding to remember how it happened, instead of looking at her notes.

Earlier that day....

" Lucifer, I am surprised that you are here, we didn't have a session planned for today. Actually, this is the first time in a few months that we talk after you stopped hanging out with Detective Decker. I had assumed that you had quit. Well, it is good to see you and I happen to have some free time. What would you like to talk about?"

" Well, Doctor, today has been a very interesting day. I helped with another case and this one involved SHIELD and others and knowing how you don't reveal anything, I feel safe talking to you. To make a long story short, I help to save the day and that is something I haven't done since my brother died. I had been the punisher, but I haven't punished anyone. But helping those people felt good, it's something that I don't understand."

" Well, I thought we were done with metaphors and fairytales, but guess not. I imagine what you are feeling is happiness. Happiness in helping people, no mater, how you feel about punishing people, helping them is just as important."

Lucifer had left at that moment. He wasn't sure what he wanted to do- but he needed to figure it out on his own. He decided to head to National City, he was thinking about building a second Lux there, it might take his mind off of helping people.

@Michale CS

Reactions: Gands
Hercules

I spend the rest of that day cleaning up, talking to other authorities and helping Cardiff with the paperwork. I get a copy of the energy drink recipe over to my friend Stark with some notes on the case. It goes with the following note. (( it might be a good idea to work on something like this, there is someone out there with mind control... Herc ))

I take Cardiff out to Morningstar's club Lux. It feels good just to let loose. I still don't drink alcohol, but they have good coffee. We dance her and I. I think her for her service, telling her I couldn't have don't it without her. I kiss her cheek at the end of the night.

The next day, more stinking paperwork. Then we clean out Cardiff's L.A. headquarters. I talk to Coulson at the end of the day. I am informed I'm being transferred to Metropolis. Shield's presence there is or was very small. The main local hero, like the city he lives in, comes from the other place. He is one of those guys that everyone measuring up to him comes up short. It seems like a difficult task. Hah ! More like impossible. Nonetheless, I am up to the task... nothing like a good challenge to keep me on task.

I make a point of leaving a new business card with Dr. Banner, I hear he is helping separate those poor people back to themselves. I personally thank all of the people at ESI too, I ask Cardiff is she thinks any would be good candidates to work with us in Metropolis. Oh.... thank Zeus, Coulson liked our combination so well, she's been assigned to me in Metropolis.

I spend the next morning doing interviews with the press. The last one just down the road in National City, some woman named Cat ? Odd name. Her secretary is a pretty blonde nervous little thing. By noon, we are flying into Metropolis Cardiff and I. Seems that all of our personal things have been transferred to the new office, which for Cardiff and I... include living quarters. Incredible living quarters, I am told my friend Stark put the final touches on a lot of things here.

I go up to the roof and give thanks... to my own family of Gods and the white god for my friends and the good luck I've had. I stare for a while at a beautiful sunset then go back inside.

" Cardiff, can you please find us an all you can eat place that serves Shwarma ? I think that's how you say it, my friend Thor tells me it make a good victory meal ! "
@Michale CS @york @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kingof192 @Ringmaster

• Bucket of Rainbows

Well. No vampires here. Just a dead end. Still....

Tepes flipped his hat hand over hand, before flicking it on his head and grinning.

He got a pretty good ghost out of it. And looking thoughtfully at Mandrill, he rubbed his chin and contemplated visiting that woman from before...Naw. He shook his head and considered again. Hmm....World was a lot different from the one he knew. That much was true. But at its core, it was still very much the same. There were still outlaws and villains. Folk who needed protecting and what have you. He dismissed Mandrill a moment later, tapping his fingers before placing two of em in his mouth as he whistled shrilly.

From the ground, a skeletal horse emerged and Tepes saddled up. It wouldn't last for long, but it didn't need to.

And as he rode off, Lucifer Tepes narrowed his eyes.

Time to visit the Horse Master.

Eisley Cloud
@Michale CS @Gands @LuckycoolHawk9 @Kingof192 @Ringmaster

After Eisley helped with the cleanup duties, suit and all... She had to go for a quick dip in the local harbor, and feign that she had somehow gotten pushed off during the turmoil that had hit the whole place. Despite being drenched, and a little sore, all in all... Things didn't turn out so bad. It certainly could have gone alot worse had they not been able to drain that duck in time.

Her campaign continued, and for a while, Eisley thought they were in the clear... That the worries about mind control would soon be over, but, unfortunately things weren't so easy. A sudden recall of the drinks caused some suspicions to be raised, and during the time frame she had off her contract, she did a little... Sleuthing, but came up blank, unable to find Grodd or Killgrave, nor any signs of their tampering at the moment.

Once the drinks were back in business, with a new formula, one that no longer gave one a particular resistance to mind control, what a shame. Whether it was just a pure coincidence, or if there was someone else behind this little incident, was quite the mystery, but hey, who said her job was going to be easy?

Well, granted it was still alot better than staying in her own timeline; with her suit, her employers there figured they wouldn't need to cut her a break. They treated her more like a machine than like a human, really, so... It was probably for the best that she couldn't return thanks to the big jumble with time and space since the crossover event.

It wasn't until while after the whole thing blew over, that she recieved a text from good ol' Herc, something about going over to a place for schwarma. Not a bad idea come to think of it; her contract was more or less over by now, and besides, a good meal would be a nice way to end her stay here in LA.

While she would love to stay, her business here was done, and normally, she'd return to Gotham city and settle down once more. Though, recently, her mind had been on... Greener pastures to say the least. Though Gotham wasn't lacking of its tech, she had caught wind of another city, a bustling place, with at least a hero or two that were not of this world... And the great big Lex Corp, a pinnacle of technological achievements, but not without some rumors of shady business conduct. Perhaps she ought to check that place out for a while, see how things are.

Last she heard, the place was called... Metropolis.​

• Thank You
It was over.

It was over??

We got out of the big situation, returned the monkeys to the zoo, and never found Grodd. It was over.

I couldn't remember the last time I had been through something like this without turning into the Hulk twice, but the world didn't need a Hulk. It needed a banner.

I thought about this the night after we returned the monkeys. I was watching the night sky in this new world which was far stranger on my own and yet never asked more than Banner could do. As I looked out, I saw a falling Starr coming to Earth somewhere in the South as I heard the tune to Margaritaville playing in the background.

I finally gained access to my account, and all the money in it. It was strange that I never could remember my old password. Overall, I honestly had a good time doing science I had theorized about but wasn't yet possible in the world I was from. Leonard answered some questions about Bruce Banner for me. It was an easy transition into a world which at least on paper was far more dangerous than the one I am from.

I decided to walk away for awhile though, I'm still concerned about how they exiled the Hulk and how everybody around seems to recognize me as Bruce. Which is why I still haven't called Hercules, though I kept his card. I want to be somewhere safe and live a live of science. Even if it is Bruce's life, I feel like this is somewhere I belong, and that's something that I haven't had in years. I want to experience it as much as I feel the need to keep if safe. I would spend some time on my own in the middle of the country, do some work on the side as one my pseudonyms, learn about the Hulk and his allies and enemies, and in time find a way to live my strange new life. For now; a safe place, a refuge. I have a feeling that one day I will reappear, and maybe this time bring the other me along too.

Saying goodbye to Leonard, and finally to security, I took all precautions and started to move forward.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Status
Not open for further replies.