Epic Crossover IC - Madripoor

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a brilliant young archeologist rooting around the tunnels of Madripor.

MV5BOTE2MTEyMzAxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk2OTc2MQ@@._V1_CR0,29,304,171_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Not a complete fool, he brought a bodyguard.

7cn_sammohungreturns00.jpg

The young archeologist was determined to find something!

When his advanced metal detecting Gizmo went off loudly, making the bodyguard cringe a bit.

Several hours later, the front of an odd silver metal cabinet had been unearthed.

Look at this! magnificent. Ming Dynasty I think !

The bodyguard continued to be... unimpressed. In fact as a competent professional bodyguard and guide, He determined this to be not a good thing at all from his prospective, but he said nothing.

There was an urchin nearby, a real survivor, the archeologist give him some money and whispered something to him.

The boy, being smart, went exactly the opposite direction, heading to fetch Mamma Seraph before this fool got himself killed.

shortround01.jpg

@Ringmaster @Michale CS

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Michale CS
There was a brilliant young archeologist rooting around the tunnels of Madripor.

MV5BOTE2MTEyMzAxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk2OTc2MQ@@._V1_CR0,29,304,171_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Not a complete fool, he brought a bodyguard.

7cn_sammohungreturns00.jpg

The young archeologist was determined to find something!

When his advanced metal detecting Gizmo went off loudly, making the bodyguard cringe a bit.

Several hours later, the front of an odd silver metal cabinet had been unearthed.

Look at this! magnificent. Ming Dynasty I think !

The bodyguard continued to be... unimpressed. In fact as a competent professional bodyguard and guide, He determined this to be not a good thing at all from his prospective, but he said nothing.

There was an urchin nearby, a real survivor, the archeologist give him some money and whispered something to him.

The boy, being smart, went exactly the opposite direction, heading to fetch Mamma Seraph before this fool got himself killed.

shortround01.jpg

@Ringmaster @Michale CS
"Seems a lot o' people be coming down to Mamma lately."

Seraph drawled behind her desk as she glanced at her latest messenger. Her office was nondescript, with nothing save a calendar and a cheap snow globe to show that this was in face, a place someone and not some robot worked. It was also a way to hide her own resources, no sense tipping off people with fancy artwork, not in this place. Still, considering the news she finally shook her head.

"Alright, alright- Mamma knows someone to send down. Get Ares down at the bar, he owes me one."

Which was the nature of Madripoor as a whole. Even competing against each other, or hiding out, infighting- Or at least, more than they could handle only hurt everyone in the long run. So in between the knives, fists and powers was a running trade of brokered favors and information, even among rivals to some extent.

Which was where 'Ares' came in.

Everyone local knew Ares. Who he really was and what he did. Whenever he put on the cloak and hood on work, he became the Inquisitor. One of the more dangerous folk in the line of work, working for the Clan. Outside of it, he opted for something much surprising to many, offering his services as 'Ares' so long as it didn't interfere with his other life. Protection, hunts against the occasional monster, even negotiation- All of it, pro bono publico and paid for in favors, doing them a kindness in exchange for the day they might do him one. And his word was his bond- The only currency worth anything in Madripoor, was the name associated with you and he took pains to ensure it was never tarnished in a way to prevent work.

Currently, after dropping off the ingredients to the cook at the door(another way of keeping good relations, make sure you be helpful to everyone), he'd be drinking at the bar. The bartender smiled and spoke.

"On the house today Ares."

"Oh no Chang, I couldn't possibly accept that- Here. And a tip for your troubles."

People liked offering him things for free, Ares had a habit of refusing and paying for it.

Despite the fact he looked a genial sort however, others with skills or abilities would see past it to some extent.

Nomad, in her brief glimpse talking to her co-worker might have noticed the perfect balance he kept himself. Every motion done with perfect economy. The Secret would have glimpsed him and seen a masked figure, holding a bloody sword as he brought it down on a man. The Urchin would see the following.

Jeans and boots, followed up with a leather belt you could buy for cheap at any stall, in a sports jacket and baseball cap. Black t-shirt beneath with a knock-off Punisher skull emblazoned and seen now that the jacket was undone.

Also available for cheap at any stall.

Though the moment he heard what was going on and what Mamma wanted, he immediately followed.

Meanwhile....

--------

Upstairs, the guest suite- A former WWII place for visiting gangsters was a tasteful if evocative example of 1940's decor. But the hot bath was bliss enough at least.

@OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Chewy Rabbits @Michale CS @Gands

Currently, after dropping off the ingredients to the cook at the door(another way of keeping good relations, make sure you be helpful to everyone), he'd be drinking at the bar. The bartender smiled and spoke.​
She too hopped up to the bar, with a lack of other options at the moment. However... "Um...I'm not old enough to drink. Is there water I can get or maybe uh...milk?"

She too hopped up to the bar, with a lack of other options at the moment. However... "Um...I'm not old enough to drink. Is there water I can get or maybe uh...milk?"
Ares paused and glanced over before he smiled.

"Ah, of course! You're the one I saw in the marketplace. Chang, please get her a mango juice on me?"

He waited a bit, looking her over as he asked curiously and not without a trace of sympathy.

"New to Madripoor, right? I recall a little of that conversation. I do like the outfit, but it stands out. Here in this place, you want something more indescript- Or at least, dark enough to help you hide at night." He then ordered another for the kid and gestured.

"Once you two are done, don't suppose you'd like a job? Just a quick, trial run to get you started."

@C.T. @Gands

Ares paused and glanced over before he smiled.

"Ah, of course! You're the one I saw in the marketplace. Chang, please get her a mango juice on me?"

He waited a bit, looking her over as he asked curiously and not without a trace of sympathy.

"New to Madripoor, right? I recall a little of that conversation. I do like the outfit, but it stands out. Here in this place, you want something more indescript- Or at least, dark enough to help you hide at night." He then ordered another for the kid and gestured.

"Once you two are done, don't suppose you'd like a job? Just a quick, trial run to get you started."

@C.T. @Gands
"That was Batroc's first advice too. But after a bit of thinking it over, he changed his mind. Said I should wear this, after I took out MODOK and took his criminal..." Empire? Outfit? Hmm. "...organization for myself. The word spreads and now people know. Anybody who's anybody does...so Batroc said. I should own that, and come here as myself. Project strength, as it were. Even if I can't really drink yet." She shrugged. "And job?"

@Ringmaster @Gands

"That was Batroc's first advice too. But after a bit of thinking it over, he changed his mind. Said I should wear this, after I took out MODOK and took his criminal..." Empire? Outfit? Hmm. "...organization for myself. The word spreads and now people know. Anybody who's anybody does...so Batroc said. I should own that, and come here as myself. Project strength, as it were. Even if I can't really drink yet." She shrugged. "And job?"

@Ringmaster @Gands
"Ahhhh, so you're the one!"

He beamed, suddenly realizing who she was.

"I had heard of the head of Mercenary Organization Dedicated Only to Killing getting a new leader, after M.O.D.O.K. died but well. And of course, Batroc has a reputation all his own. In that case, perhaps this job would be too small."

He gave a shrug.

"I was planning to ask you if you wanted to join me down the smuggler tunnels, in cramped quarters where people might kill us at any time because I owed a favor to the Princess Bars owner."

@C.T. @Gands

"Ahhhh, so you're the one!"

He beamed, suddenly realizing who she was.

"I had heard of the head of Mercenary Organization Dedicated Only to Killing getting a new leader, after M.O.D.O.K. died but well. And of course, Batroc has a reputation all his own. In that case, perhaps this job would be too small."

He gave a shrug.

"I was planning to ask you if you wanted to join me down the smuggler tunnels, in cramped quarters where people might kill us at any time because I owed a favor to the Princess Bars owner."

@C.T. @Gands
"...Yeah. He's dead. Hahahahahahaha oh look a perfectly acceptable topic changer--" She was about to point something out when he spoke up again. "Let me get this straight. Smuggler tunnels. Claustrophobic space. People who might kill us."

tumblr_ocl1qaOOPm1vdv2dqo1_500.jpg

"When do we start?"

@Ringmaster @Gands

The Secret would have glimpsed him and seen a masked figure, holding a bloody sword as he brought it down on a man.
I'm not really sure why, but now and then, I go from eavesdropper to willing participant. Maybe it's boredom. Maybe I just want to hang around... exceptional people. Exceptional people have exceptional secrets. And when you're whole life is spent being force-fed knowledge from every direction - well... sometimes you want to quit dining on the hot dogs and instant ramen of information and get yourself a prime rib or foie gras.

So when I got that executioner type flash from Ares, it tempted me. Not that I didn't know what he did as a vocation. Anyone who was here any length of time knew what he was all about. And, well, I'd been in Madripoor long enough for major players like Ares to know what I was about. An information broker who sometimes broke out of that mold and helped out the little guys, the downtrodden, now and then. And other times, just took a merc job. I'd been here three months and after a week and a half, foiled a dozen attempts to mug me, sucker me into places where I'd get even my exceptional ass kicked and earned enough respect to be left alone when I wanted to be, in pretty much every establishment I set myself down in.

But, I'm not sure it was my appetite for knowledge or simple ennui that really motivated me, but I closed in to where he was talking to the girl in pink... who... became instantly intriguing. No one on the face of it keeps as few secrets as this one was. Someone so flat out honest, and... unfiltered as this, working here? Doing these sort of things? It was baffling. Oh, a solipsist. That explained a lot. It also made her mind a very comfortable one to be around. Refreshing even.

"Excuse me. I couldn't help but overhear - You've got someone in need of help? I find myself with some free time... if you're looking to bolster your ranks for the errand. If not, I'll understand. Samuel Hildebrandt." I ended by placing a hand to my chest as means of introduction. It was up to Ares if he wanted to extend the invitation he extended to the solipsist to myself as well.

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Gands

--------

Upstairs, the guest suite- A former WWII place for visiting gangsters was a tasteful if evocative example of 1940's decor. But the hot bath was bliss enough at least.

@OrlandoBloomers @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Chewy Rabbits @Michale CS @Gands
What might have been old school but familiar to some guests was downright exotic to Asuki. Apart from her short journey to a port across a small part of Japan, Madripoor was Asuku's first true experience with the outside world. So she regarded the classical, Americana furniture and paintings with the same idle wonder as a tourist seeing a buddhist temple for the first time.

But such thoughts were almost an hour old at this point, and she had already scarfed down the food provided and took a long, wonderful soak in the bath. This wasn't supposed to be a vacation however, and once she was done she was determined to go downstairs. She just had to get dressed first.

Unfortunately, the two options given to her by Seraph's employees were... decidedly unappealing. One was a very fine looking dress, and Asuki wasn't so sheltered as to not know what that was. It looked nice and she was sure it would be very comfortable given the heated climate, but... the shoes that were supposed to go with it... they were on little stilts??? The toes were meant to be jammed into a tiny point at the end, and the heel was lifted off the ground by a chunk of shoe. She found this very strange indeed, and could only imagine it was meant to be used in some combat art she was not trained in. So that left the second option, which was strange for entirely different reasons. The top didn't seem to be large enough to cover much but her chest, and the bottoms appeared to be what others called jeans but...with most of the jeans removed. Again very strange, but the footwear was a pair of sturdy boots...

The village elders would probably murder her for this. not to mention how disappointed Usagi himself was going to be. But...

-----------------------------

A few minutes later, Asuki came back downstairs into the bar itself, dressed in the clothes she'd arrived in yet somehow clean and fresh. She started to glance around for Seraph herself, but a large colorful (literally and figuratively) group of strangers talking amongst themselves caught her attention first. She was here to gain information as her main priority, so she quietly slid onto a stool a few seats down from them and listened in, curious

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Gands @michaleCS​

• Useful
Reactions: OrlandoBloomers
"...Yeah. He's dead. Hahahahahahaha oh look a perfectly acceptable topic changer--" She was about to point something out when he spoke up again. "Let me get this straight. Smuggler tunnels. Claustrophobic space. People who might kill us."

tumblr_ocl1qaOOPm1vdv2dqo1_500.jpg

"When do we start?"

@Ringmaster @Gands
I'm not really sure why, but now and then, I go from eavesdropper to willing participant. Maybe it's boredom. Maybe I just want to hang around... exceptional people. Exceptional people have exceptional secrets. And when you're whole life is spent being force-fed knowledge from every direction - well... sometimes you want to quit dining on the hot dogs and instant ramen of information and get yourself a prime rib or foie gras.

So when I got that executioner type flash from Ares, it tempted me. Not that I didn't know what he did as a vocation. Anyone who was here any length of time knew what he was all about. And, well, I'd been in Madripoor long enough for major players like Ares to know what I was about. An information broker who sometimes broke out of that mold and helped out the little guys, the downtrodden, now and then. And other times, just took a merc job. I'd been here three months and after a week and a half, foiled a dozen attempts to mug me, sucker me into places where I'd get even my exceptional ass kicked and earned enough respect to be left alone when I wanted to be, in pretty much every establishment I set myself down in.

But, I'm not sure it was my appetite for knowledge or simple ennui that really motivated me, but I closed in to where he was talking to the girl in pink... who... became instantly intriguing. No one on the face of it keeps as few secrets as this one was. Someone so flat out honest, and... unfiltered as this, working here? Doing these sort of things? It was baffling. Oh, a solipsist. That explained a lot. It also made her mind a very comfortable one to be around. Refreshing even.

"Excuse me. I couldn't help but overhear - You've got someone in need of help? I find myself with some free time... if you're looking to bolster your ranks for the errand. If not, I'll understand. Samuel Hildebrandt." I ended by placing a hand to my chest as means of introduction. It was up to Ares if he wanted to extend the invitation he extended to the solipsist to myself as well.

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Gands
"Ah, hello there."

He said cordially towards Sam. Seeing how the other was a fixture here, he knew of him if not directly. He preferred his own sources of information and had no need to seek out others yet.
-----------------------------

A few minutes later, Asuki came back downstairs into the bar itself, dressed in the clothes she'd arrived in yet somehow clean and fresh. She started to glance around for Seraph herself, but a large colorful (literally and figuratively) group of strangers talking amongst themselves caught her attention first. She was here to gain information as her main priority, so she quietly slid onto a stool a few seats down from them and listened in, curious

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Gands @michaleCS
Asuki got a glance over from Ares, but it slid away as he went over their priority and goal.

"There's apparently, some kind of magical artifact beneath the city, in the smuggler tunnels. Mamma Seraph wants me to check it out for her and extra hands would be nice, if you don't mind getting them dirty?"

@C.T. @Gands @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer

Asuki got a glance over from Ares, but it slid away as he went over their priority and goal.

"There's apparently, some kind of magical artifact beneath the city, in the smuggler tunnels. Mamma Seraph wants me to check it out for her and extra hands would be nice, if you don't mind getting them dirty?"
"Sure. I'm in. Bored enough. Let's go."

@C.T. @Gands @Ringmaster @Schnee Corp Lawyer

"There's apparently, some kind of magical artifact beneath the city, in the smuggler tunnels. Mamma Seraph wants me to check it out for her and extra hands would be nice, if you don't mind getting them dirty?"​
"...Oh. Are you sure you want to do that? I'd refuse right away if I were you. Ever watch movies or read some fantasy books?? Some kind of magical artifact in some dank and dirty tunnels underneath the city of crime and pollution that some chick named Seraph wants checked out! On a laundry list of signs that this is probably a cursed trap, all the things are checked. Besides I got somebody who can help! His job description is basically stuff like this." She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone.

rI8qWTn.jpg

"The benefits of having Doctor Strange on speed dial." She just hoped she didn't get his weird voicemail.

@Ringmaster @Gands @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer

There's a certain look people get when they hear something exciting they're not supposed to. Her eyes twitch as they try to fight their urge to widen in surprise. She might bite her tongue accidentally as they suddenly force their jaw shut to stop it from gaping. And they have to really work hard to keep themselves from staring at whatever their listening to.

But Asaki didn't do that. No, her eyes twitched and she got really fidgety and hissed in pain after biting her own tongue for completely unrelated reasons probably.

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Michale CS @Gands @yes I know I spelt my own character's name wrong the post before this one​

"Sure. I'm in. Bored enough. Let's go."

There's a certain look people get when they hear something exciting they're not supposed to. Her eyes twitch as they try to fight their urge to widen in surprise. She might bite her tongue accidentally as they suddenly force their jaw shut to stop it from gaping. And they have to really work hard to keep themselves from staring at whatever their listening to.

But Asaki didn't do that. No, her eyes twitched and she got really fidgety and hissed in pain after biting her own tongue for completely unrelated reasons probably.

@Ringmaster @C.T. @Michale CS @Gands @yes I know I spelt my own character's name wrong the post before this one​
"You're more than welcome to join as well."

Ares added offhand, to the obviously eavesdropping young woman as he glanced over once more.
"...Oh. Are you sure you want to do that? I'd refuse right away if I were you. Ever watch movies or read some fantasy books?? Some kind of magical artifact in some dank and dirty tunnels underneath the city of crime and pollution that some chick named Seraph wants checked out! On a laundry list of signs that this is probably a cursed trap, all the things are checked. Besides I got somebody who can help! His job description is basically stuff like this." She reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone.

rI8qWTn.jpg

"The benefits of having Doctor Strange on speed dial." She just hoped she didn't get his weird voicemail.

@Ringmaster @Gands @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer

tumblr_o2wxuwfc6y1udh5n8o1_500.gif

"Believe it or not, Strange isn't at home. Please leave a message at the beep! He ain't here, or he would pick up the phone. Where, could he beeeee? Believe it or not, he ain't home!"

Deadpool then hung up and tossed the phone over the side as he rubbed his hands. Strange stared in incrudelity.

"....Did you just throw away my phone into the Abyss of the Nameless Ones?"

"No time for questions! LEEEEEROOOOOOOY JEEEEEENKIIIIIIINSS!!!!!"

And Deadpool charged head-on into the armies of Dread Dormmamu.

This untold story will be regaled someday, maybe.

tumblr_o2wxuwfc6y1udh5n8o1_500.gif

"Believe it or not, Strange isn't at home. Please leave a message at the beep! He ain't here, or he would pick up the phone. Where, could he beeeee? Believe it or not, he ain't home!"

Deadpool then hung up and tossed the phone over the side as he rubbed his hands. Strange stared in incrudelity.

"....Did you just throw away my phone into the Abyss of the Nameless Ones?"

"No time for questions! LEEEEEROOOOOOOY JEEEEEENKIIIIIIINSS!!!!!"

And Deadpool charged head-on into the armies of Dread Dormmamu.

This untold story will be regaled someday, maybe.
8r12xK6.jpg

"...That didn't sound like a Wong. All tranquil, wise and polite and kind of stereotype-y. Like Batroc, except different ones. Or maybe a misclick." She flicked through her contact list and tried again, though this time it just rang and rang until it hit the voicemail.

"Hello, you've reached the Sanctum Sanctorum. If this call is related to Mephisto, press 1. If this call is related to Dormammu, press 2. If this call is related to Satannish, press--" She hung up immediately. "Never mind I guess?" Gwen shrugged.

"Still. This sounds like a really bad, poor, idiotic idea. I mean, I know I'll get off alright because I'm an MC and not a sideliner, but the rest of you guys ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I recommend good life insurance plans?"

@Ringmaster @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Gands

"You're more than welcome to join as well."

Ares added offhand, to the obviously eavesdropping young woman as he glanced over once more.​
Asaki's cheeks lit up in embarrassment. Drat. No matter, she was no ninja or thief to be skulking in the shadows. Madripoor may have been dangerous, but she just had to make sure they knew of her strength!

She turned and gave a curt nod to Ares. "I appreciate the offer. But I am not a mercenary or the like. It is simply that I am in this city to return an artifact to its rightful place, and the topic of conversation was coincidental. May I ask what this artifact is that you seek?"

"Well. What some of you seek, I think the pink girl is less than enthusiastic about this idea"

@Ringmaster @Michale CS @Gands @C.T.

8r12xK6.jpg

"...That didn't sound like a Wong. All tranquil, wise and polite and kind of stereotype-y. Like Batroc, except different ones. Or maybe a misclick." She flicked through her contact list and tried again, though this time it just rang and rang until it hit the voicemail.

"Hello, you've reached the Sanctum Sanctorum. If this call is related to Mephisto, press 1. If this call is related to Dormammu, press 2. If this call is related to Satannish, press--" She hung up immediately. "Never mind I guess?" Gwen shrugged.

"Still. This sounds like a really bad, poor, idiotic idea. I mean, I know I'll get off alright because I'm an MC and not a sideliner, but the rest of you guys ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I recommend good life insurance plans?"

@Ringmaster @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer @Gands
There was an awkward silence and then Ares shrugged.

"Well, only one way to find out."
Asaki's cheeks lit up in embarrassment. Drat. No matter, she was no ninja or thief to be skulking in the shadows. Madripoor may have been dangerous, but she just had to make sure they knew of her strength!

She turned and gave a curt nod to Ares. "I appreciate the offer. But I am not a mercenary or the like. It is simply that I am in this city to return an artifact to its rightful place, and the topic of conversation was coincidental. May I ask what this artifact is that you seek?"

"Well. What some of you seek, I think the pink girl is less than enthusiastic about this idea"

@Ringmaster @Michale CS @Gands @C.T.
"No idea. Mamma Seraph says to jump and because I owe her? I obey."

He stretched and got up as he added.

"We'll find out when we get there. Oi. Boy?"

He clapped a hand on the urchins shoulder.

"Lead the way."

@Gands @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Michale CS

"We'll find out when we get there. Oi. Boy?"

He clapped a hand on the urchins shoulder.

"Lead the way."
Sam tried to focus on the girl in pink, to get secrets... This was... crazy interesting. She literally had no filter. It was like she was give-no-fucks about the entire world. Solipsism be damned, this girl really didn't have any major secrets. That was...

Odd.

Refreshingly odd. If she weren't so crazy she'd be the perfect type for him to date, because she never had any secrets he'd accidentally get.

He followed along, intrigued by her - and as a sideline, this mysterious quest they were going on. That was almost a non-starter in comparison.

" Yes sir " The boy popped up heading off to the tunnels at a brisk pace.

Meanwhile, back at the oddly ornate silver box.

" I am certain there won't be any issue Sammo ". The young archeologist insisted.

" Young man, if you touch that thing without the proper precautions, you will be hurt ".

@Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Ringmaster

" Yes sir " The boy popped up heading off to the tunnels at a brisk pace.

Meanwhile, back at the oddly ornate silver box.

" I am certain there won't be any issue Sammo ". The young archeologist insisted.

" Young man, if you touch that thing without the proper precautions, you will be hurt ".

@Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Ringmaster
Off they went then. And lightly, Ares followed after in the tunnel and waited at the bottom of the smugglers ladder, to help the ladies descend.

Whatever his real job, he was not a savage at least.

@Gands @Michale CS @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.