3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Urban Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Horror, Magical... pretty flexible.
Post your backstories, slice of life, and any other things about your Epic Crossover characters (approved yet or not!) Here.

Please only post here if you are already a member of Epic Crossover. Thanks!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
(( you should know we have a registered Joker now so this was "your" Joker and not the one registered))

(Yeah, this was when Jason was in his own universe with his own Joker.)

• Useful
Reactions: Michale CS
The last thing I remember I was at Hu Long''s Cantina letting some schmuck think he was artfully cheating Me at dice.
The Russian Spetz Nas was drinking himself under the table and couldn't fake a little joe for all the Vodka in Poland.

To end the fiasco I showed him how and he promptly took offense. He came at Me yelling " SUKI." repeatedly. After dodging a couple of drunken punches the 3rd one I caught pulling the arm behind his back. Once on his tip toes I walked him out to the alley and left him there.
I checked My watch ( time to get back to Camp Ponderosa. )

While waiting for the bus back to camp a green neon sign flickered on enveloping the area in green light , the light became a fog, a really thick London Pea Souper kind.
When it finally lifted and I could see the area clearly I realized I was no longer at Vientiane Laos.
Shit.

The last thing I remember I was at Hu Long''s Cantina letting some schmuck think he was artfully cheating Me at dice.
The Russian Spetz Nas was drinking himself under the table and couldn't fake a little joe for all the Vodka in Poland.

To end the fiasco I showed him how and he promptly took offense. He came at Me yelling " SUKI." repeatedly. After dodging a couple of drunken punches the 3rd one I caught pulling the arm behind his back. Once on his tip toes I walked him out to the alley and left him there.
I checked My watch ( time to get back to Camp Ponderosa. )

While waiting for the bus back to camp a green neon sign flickered on enveloping the area in green light , the light became a fog, a really thick London Pea Souper kind.
When it finally lifted and I could see the area clearly I realized I was no longer at Vientiane Laos.
Shit.
[[ I'm sorry, have I approved a character for you yet? I asked questions about the character so I could decide if I needed to ask for changes or clarifications. Can you please take care of that now? ]]

tumblr_nvkgvpbyJ71u2qisdo1_1280.jpg

The Valencio Family Mortuary in New York City was characteristically silent this late. Brad was one of three night shift workers who were passing the quiet time with reading or games on their phone as they waited for the clock to hit one in the morning, the hour they could lock everything up and leave the place to the eyes of their security system. That moment was only half an hour away. Brad would just lock up early, but his old man Bruno Valencio would give him hell for the thirty minutes they actually weren't open.

At 12:40, a large unmarked cargo van backed into the back bay where a truck from the city morgue or their own vehicles would load and unload bodies. Brad saw it on the video feed from his office when alerted by the sensors, and sighed. "Looks like we got one for the fires tonight boys." He said almost disappointed. The Valencios did the burning work for a couple figures in New York who needed a body to disappear, so this was no cause for concern. They brought the poor stiff in, money changed hands, and they took the ashes to do as they pleased.

But then Brad opened the bay doors, and saw something that immediately chilled his bones.

"Good evening. I was told you offered emergency cremations." said the white-faced, red-lipped, and green-haired young man clad in purple who came up to him followed by four men in red cloth hoods and black clothing carrying a black body bag. He gave Brad a sickening grin and whipped out a wad of cash. "What's your price again?"

Brad didn't hear his question, he was stunned and confused. "You're...The Joker, right?" He asked, uncertain.

"The one and only." Joker chuckled before he stuffed a handful of bills in the breast pocket of his nice mortician's suit. If his hand were also white, he couldn't tell because of the purple gloves and long sleeve jacket. "I'm sure that'll cover it. Now where do we hold the services? I don't have much time or patience." He said the last part with a menacing rumble to his voice and a leer right into Brad's soul that snapped him out of his stupor.

"Um....yes...f-follow me Mr. Joker."Brad led the way, still trying to figure out what was going on. From everything he'd seen of The Joker, this guy was supposed to at least in his late forties. And the voice. It sounded close, but just not the same as the one that had threatened Gotham on Christmas years ago when he was a child. This guy, he couldn't be any more older than Brad himself.

Then again in this crazy world, not too farfetched he got his youth back. Nevertheless, he had to play it safe. Money or not, the Joker had always been wild from all the stories he'd heard in his time working with the criminal element. He led Joker and his henchmen to the crematorium, where his workers had pretty much the same reaction, but he let hem know with a hand signal it was shady business as usual, and to stay calm.

"Just load it up here and we'll send him into the furnace." Brad said, gesturing to the conveyor platform and the red hooded goons set the bag as instructed. Brad was about to press the button, when Joker's gloved hand stopped him. "Wait a damn minute! This man deserves a few words, and a laugh before we send him into the flames."

Brad gasped, then took his hand away and waited on needles.

"This man here," He put a hand on the concealed chest of the deceased. "for many a night beat me to within an inch of my life, saying I wasn't good enough and never would be. He did so for the slightest offense, or none, it didn't matter. He also starved me, gave me the old waterboard treatment if I needed a bath, and....my favorite of all-" His voiced hitched and he looked upwards with a face full of reverence "-dipped me in caustic chemicals until I'm now the man you see before you. It wasn't all torture no no......on the best days of my life, he taught me so much I scarcely have the breath to list it all. He awoke the criminal genius within me responsible for countless smiles frozen into dead faces. And for that, I am most thankful." He took the flower from his breast pocket and unzipped the bag to place it inside. "Goodnight sweet prince."

Joker stepped away from the body bag, and nodded that Brad could proceed. There was only the sound of the conveyor and the furnace for a couple minutes. When the body started to burn, spine-chilling laughter erupted from not only Joker, but his goons as well. Joker's was a ululation of madness, while the laughter of the goons was more like that of someone who doesn't quite get the joke. It all further unsettled Brad and his workers, who breathed a sigh of the relief when the buzzer went off and they shut off the furnace. Brad pressed another button that gathered the resulting ashes first into a repository, then into a simple metal urn.

"Here you are, Mr. Joker." Brad presented the ashes, and Joker chuckled as he juggled it from hand to hand then gave it to a goon. Brad was still waiting on needles for them to leave, but dared not say anything. Joker looked at Brad with a smirk, reached into his jacket, and to Brad's horror pulled out a long-barreled revolver. Joker held it inches from Brad's right temple.

"Who are you going to tell about my little visit?" He asked in a low mocking tone.

"N-n-nobody, Mr. Joker. We never talk about such things. It's bad business." Brad replied shakily.

"Not even dear old Pa Valencio?" He asked, pressing the tip right into his temple.

"Not even him. You can trust me." He confirmed, clenching his eyes closed to keep from staring into Joker's eyes.

"Oh no no Joker doesn't trust people." Joker carefully squeezed the trigger ever so slightly and Brad wet himself, giving Joker cause to laugh and pull the gun away. "You can only ever trust fear."

With that, the Joker and his goons left without another word and even drove out as quietly. Brad told the other two workers to forget this particulat transaction ever happened, to which they happily obliged. Brad wasn't even curious who had been inside the bag. He was going to drink this memory out of existence soon as he got home.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
~~~~The Ghost is Here~~~

It'd taken some getting used to and some work on Andre's part but he had managed to sell off his new ghost friend as just a new co-star on his Youtube channel. Obviously, she wasn't really a ghost! It was all smokes and mirrors, practical effects, or even CGI! Very convincing CGI at that! But Andre knew that there were people crazy enough to realize the truth. That being of course that their favorite internet star had tampered with something that he shouldn't have and unleashed a ghost. But these were the same people who went and made theories on their own channels or got crapped on in the comments of Rewind's videos.

The man himself didn't give it too much thought. Sure, it seemed crazy and after Jamie Lee told him what had happened? It still sounded pretty crazy! Two lovers that were tired of the world not accepting them for who they were and deciding to vacate it altogether? Only Jamie upheld her end of the agreement whereas her boyfriend didn't. As it turned out, Jamie Lee wasn't too big on getting that eternal rest without finding out why she wasn't having some company. She haunted the tape of the incident, waiting for Drew to play it. So she could get something, some kind of reason as to why he left her all alone in the afterlife.

But unfortunately for Jamie Lee, the decades went by and nobody answered. She was stuck in that tape with nothing but her thoughts. She got through the boredom by speculating on Drew's reasoning. Maybe he had killed himself and she simply couldn't find him. Or maybe in a act of defiance, the fates that be brought him down below while keeping her above? As much as it calmed her mind when the solitude got to be too much, it'd only ever be speculation. Only Drew would have the answer for sure.

Now that she was free from the tape, she could try to track Drew down! She wouldn't have to worry about gas or travel expenses when she could float through walls and the like! But what if he had moved on? What if he had forgotten about her..?

"Hey! Living Dead Girl!"

Oh, it was Rewind. Jamie Lee didn't quite understand why Andre-er Rewind preferred she'd call him by that instead of his real name. Apparently it was because it was what people on 'YouTube' knew him by. Whatever the hell YouTube was. Rewind set up a camera and called her Living Dead Girl, a moniker she was not too fond of as it only served to remind her that she walked a fine line. She was dead yes but she was still 'alive' in a sense.

Hopping to her feet, ah that's another thing. Due to her ghostly composition, Jamie Lee usually floated along instead of walking or running. But she'd only attract all kinds of attention if she went floating around the city. Which is why Rewind had gone out of his way to build her a shell to inhabit. She could vacate it anytime she wished but she liked walking around in it. It allowed her the familiar sensation of running along the sidewalk to get away from cops when she got in trouble as a punk or slamming her door shut when her parents got on her nerves. Hard to slam or even touch anything as a ghost.

7eMBWta.jpg

So, she couldn't really complain and besides! She had seen what her shell looked like in black and it wasn't half-bad. She wasn't too big on how the hair went as far as covering her eyes but, eh. If she really had to see, she could poke her head out of the shell briefly and then pop right back in. Nothing too back-breaking over it. Turning stiffly to meet Rewind as he approached her, Jamie nodded.

"Heyo Rewind. Could you stop calling me that? You're already calling me Jamie Lee. I think that'll do don't you think?"

Noticing that Rewind was smiling at her while pulling a sucker out of his pocket, she was about to question it when he cut her off. Best to nip these things in the bud before the question got asked and made things too awkward after all.

cSbAcSQ.png

"Oral fixation. Used to be cigarettes but didn't like the idea of appealing to people while damaging my own health. So after some effort I quit cold turkey and got something new to stick in my mouth. Still, candy's not too good for your teeth either. But that's what dental insurance is for right?" Rewind/Andre joked as he slipped the sucker in. "Anyway, I just wanted to see how you were doing. The guest bedroom's all set up for you. I was gonna go ahead and crash myself."

Apparently the thought of ghosts not needing to sleep had never crossed Rewind's mind and for good reason. Ghost or not, tragic backstory or not, he wasn't about to show her the door. If she wanted to crash here then she could. So long as she kept her ghostly mitts off his tapes and such. For her part, Jamie Lee was grateful for the extended courtesy. Back in life, she couldn't recall too many people who would have been so kind as to offer her a room. More so now that she was a ghost. Weren't they like all the rage now or something? Or that's the impression she got after a night of browsing through Rewind's DVD collection.

"I...I'm not even really sure if ghosts have to sleep, Rewind. But thanks., I'll keep it in mind..?"

Andre shrugged his shoulders and turned to walk off to his bedroom. Even going as far as to let out a yawn as he opened up the door. "Hey, what you wanna do is your business. But I'm not about to show someone the cold shoulder. So, if you want it? It's there and it'll be there even if you don't want it. Night!"

Closing the door behind him, Andre quickly crawled into bed and Jamie Lee was left all alone. Sure, she could have left her shell and floated into Andre's room and pestered him some more, he might have complained but he probably wouldn't have cared. But she knew full well she couldn't do that to him. Andre had been kind enough to not only let her stay but to even build something for her that she could move around in. Even if at the end of the day, this wasn't her real body. Not by a longshot. This..This shell made up of synthetic fluids meant to resemble blood and metal frames meant to resemble bones. But it was just a hollow attempt to appear alive.

But isn't that what Jamie was doing? Floating along and speaking and acting as if she were alive? Shaking her head before she lingered any further on these awful thoughts, Jamie went into the guest room and shut the door behind her. The room looked like an average looking room. Pretty plain from the looks of it with a small closet there, a small TV on the dresser and a comfy queen-sized bed. But it wasn't like Jamie knew what kind of shows were on these days and she didn't have anything to wear apart from the clothes Andre bought for her shell. Which left the bed as having any meaning to her. Crawling atop the bed, Jamie didn't bother pulling the blankets on as she looked up at the ceiling.

O6f9sLc.jpg

"If...If I just close my eyes."

But what would happen if she did that? Could a ghost even sleep? Would she be surrounded by the same kind of darkness that had kept her company all those years in the tape? The idea of it frightened her. But what scared her even more was the idea that she'd have to sit here all day and all night continuing to watch everything that happens, to hear everything that happens.

But what if she dreamed?

It was a longshot and if it didn't work? Then it meant she'd have to deal with the reality that the dead didn't sleep and she'd be laying this bed for sometime to come and with Rewind asleep? She'd have no one to talk to either. If she just closed her eyes..

Not too long after she closed them, the darkness had indeed returned and Jamie almost wanted to panic. She didn't want to be trapped with the darkness again! She'd been there since the 1980s, she wanted to be free! But mercifully the scene began to change as Jamie stood outside a rather familiar looking school.

safFPd2.jpg

"..It still looks the same. Even after all these years."

This was the same school that Jamie had dragged herself to go almost everyday. There was even graffiti smeared on the sides of the main campus building that said 'RUN REGAN RUN FROM THE RUSSIANS' and 'ROCKY? RAMBO? FORGET ABOUT IT.' ...She did that one. It was a wonder what being drunk off your ass and armed with a can of spraypaint could really unleash. But more importantly this is where Jamie's life changed forever. Where she would meet the one man she had ever truly loved: Drew.

Wincing as the doors seemed to open of their own accord, Jamie made her way inside and jumped once again as they slammed shut behind her. Glancing down the halls and such, Jamie felt a shiver run up her spine. Looking at this place again now that she was a ghost? It only made the hardships she went through even worse. How many girls felt the way she had? How many believed that there was no one who'd ever understand them? Make them feel accepted into the world?

tZHfraQ.jpg

As she continued to make her way down the hallway, the atmosphere of the dream only continued to feed her worries. From the deathly pale color within the school and the omnipresent light outside the school's windows. Seemingly reflective of how Jamie felt when she was alive. The notion that everybody was watching her as if she were an oddity. Like she was a display at the zoo or something. She didn't ask to be judged and even up to her death, she wouldn't conform to what her naysayers deemed normal. What made them the authority and her the goon to follow?

Upon reaching the EXIT door however, Jamie paused as she could have seen a familiar silhouette surrounded by the blinding light coming from the windows. Nobody else Jamie knew could have rocked punk attire like that but him! "Drew!" She exclaimed as she rushed for the door and quickly pushed it open. But there was nothing there to greet her. No warm embrace, no explanation on what happened that fateful day. She was by herself once again and as rain started to pour down, Jamie continued to move forward. This couldn't be happening. Drew hadn't just vanished had he..?

Eventually, Jamie could go further no longer. The path ended at a cliff-top overlooking the ocean and what awaited her at the edge?

FGTH0tv.jpg

No! This was all wrong! She didn't deserve a tombstone like this! The way it looked back at her with those empty eyes...Was that what she had become? Nothing but a pale figment of something that once lived and was only really an empty husk? What separated her from the concrete statue mounted atop her gravestone? As she could feel tears welling up in her eyes, Jamie noticed footprints leading away from the grave. Damn it! She didn't want to dream anymore! She wanted to wake up! Wake up!

WAKE! UP!

From the next bedroom over, Andre had been sound asleep with one foot dangling over the side of the bed while the blanket lay atop him. But he slowly came to as he heard a banging coming from the guest room. Wiping at his eyes, Andre slowly rolled out of bed and staggered over to the guest bedroom as he opened the door. "Hey Jamie, you okay?" The man asked as he glanced around and the banging only seemed to grow louder. "What the hell is that-Jamie?!"

Simply turning his head to the right, Andre saw Jamie on her knees smashing her head over and over against the wall. The shell had been made to be quite durable-to go along with the power Andre made sure it had. But it seemed whatever had gotten Jamie so worked up was causing her to go full force which didn't mean good results for Andre's wall as the white milky synthetic fluid dripped down from a gash in Jamie's shell as she crashed her head through the wall.

Worried for his friend's state of mind and the potential repair bills, Andre went into action. Slipping in a tape of Alien, the construct of a Xenomorph appeared around Andre as he wrapped his tail around Jamie's waist and gripped under her arms. "Stop this! What's gotten into you?!?"

Jamie stopped bashing her head against the wall but given how easily she broke free from Andre's grasp, she hadn't taken too kindly to the gesture. Swinging outward, the stray blow caught Andre in the side and completely shattered the projection as Andre was sent flying into the wall. She had intentionally held back so as to not seriously injure her only friend but the ghost still didn't seem any happier. Turning towards Andre, she glanced down at him with a bruised and 'bleeding' face on her shell. But whereas her shell looked fierce and vengeful, it was only one facet of how Jamie was truly feeling.

fiBwCse.jpg

Clutching at his side which ached quite a bit now, Andre held a hand up. He knew that unless he got his hands on a good tape, he wasn't going to be able to take Jamie down and what would it solve even if he did? It'd just ignore whatever got her this upset in the first place. At least now she wasn't putting her head through walls or punching people.

"Jamie? Come out of the shell..Explain to me what's wrong.." He suggested and it didn't take long. The shell collapsed to the floor as Jamie floated out of it and looked quite upset.

zy6TAPG.png

"Why? Why did you want me to leave the shell? You can't comfort me like this. You can't wrap your arms around me and give me a reassuring hug and pat on the back. You can't rustle my hair and tell me things will be okay. You can say all the sweet nothings in the world and that's all. I'm dead and I can't do anything!"

The ghost cried out in frustration as Andre rose to his feet. So, that's what happened? Staggering over to the weeping ghost, Andre tried his best to put on a smile despite the pain in his side. That was the least he could do for the crying girl.

UYTKK1O.png

"That's where you're wrong. Look, I'm not some kind of paranormal expert. Hell, I'm not too big a fan of ghost movies since they all play out the same way and I think they're a load of crap. But in the time we've known eachother? I can see what you're capable of and what you're capable of is being a great partner. Plus, look at that hole you put in the wall! You think someone who couldn't do anything could do that? No, because they can't do anything! But you did that and in my book that counts as something! So...Quit being sad alright?"

"B-But, it was the shell not me..."

"Hah! Who do you think is responsible for driving a car? For a plane? Or anything of that nature? The driver and pilots are the ones that make it go! You make the shell go and that's gotta count for something, right?"

"...I guess."

"You guess? I know it to be true! I built the thing and you're operating it! Look, when we talk about heavy stuff like this? I tend to get a bit thirsty. How's about we hit up some place to get something to eat and we can keep talking?" Andre asked as he pulled out another sucker and Jamie finally smiled. She had been feeling absolutely miserable after that dream. But something about this conversation with Andre had picked her up.

Fbo1ob1.jpg

"..Yeah, let's go."

Magneto-marvel-comics-4206705-1280-879.jpg

"The Earth is so different now yet remains the same in so many ways. Humanity still despises Mutantkind, oppressing us at every turn. Some like my dear friend Charles Xavier would argue that they simply don't understand and that they can be reason with in the end. They do understand, for we are their superiors, the next stage of evolution and fear us for it.

Because of that fear, they use any and every means to keep us humbled, divided, and if that fails they attempt genocide. Charles means well, so does his childern, and many of the metahumans, yet they are all naive, letting themselves be enslaved to the whims of lesser beings who will never accept us. To be quite honest we don't need their approval. While the Resignation Act in the United States has been struck down twice now, it is only a matter of time, before they pass it and use that law for persecution, that the rest of the nations would so easily follow suit.

I know this all too well, because I have seen it happen before as a child in Germany shortly before the Second World War. I lost my parents in the Holocaust that followed and when later on I made a new family with my beloved Magna only for it all to be taken away from me. It is from these experiences I vowed to myself with these words...Never Again!

That is why my mutant brothers and sisters we must rise up and take the mantle for ourselves. Not only to safeguard our race but to make a better world than the one we inherited. The Brotherhood stands with you, join us in securing the future. We must prevail, mutant liberation begins now."

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
GIZMO

I was seventeen, and standing in The Danger Room with five other students wearing the same uniform that marked us as X-Men. My batons were crackling with electricity, helmet visor down, and sweat already pumping hard out of my temples as Wolverine counted down from five. Rules were only that everyone had to be standing by the end.

"Form up!" Our team captain, Meteora, yelled as the countdown reached three and we all formed into a circle with backs to each other. Meteroa herself hovered at the center.

At one, the walls opened up and the robots came clunking out firing or running at us. The bots managed to overrun our circle and break it. I would disable one, and reprogram the targeting parameters of two. They'd fight for us until the CPU corrected itself. Everyone got their bruises for the day, but we passed with flying colors. We only had to do one field assignment before it was official and they'd give us a unique designation.

That night we went bowling to celebrate. Of course before it started, Meteora made the by then old joke "No touching and no cheating!" and I had taken it in good spirits and said the same to her. One with gravity control could cheat far more subtly than me of course. It was a great time even if there had been cheating. I had put my team name as "X-Guards" and Meteora hers as "X-Brigade". We jokingly made a deal that the winner of that night would name the team.

By the end of the night we were all coming out of the alley chanting "X-bri-gade!". We were young and amped up. We'd be doing great things for mutant-human relations. Doing Professor X proud.

Nobody saw the guy coming up from behind us. He wasn't walking fast, or doing anything to trigger that he would open up on us with a machine pistol.

I didn't wake up until hours later. The doctors had taken the bullets out of my left hip and leg, said I'd be fine. So would Wilderkin, Zippo, Quetzal, and Red-Eye. Except Meteora. She didn't make it. She had been over six feet tall and obviously our protector, so the guy used more bullets on her before spraying the rest of us.

To be continued….

Last edited by a moderator:
Professor Xavier sent the schools' collective condolences to her parents. Then he let us all know the parents didn't want anyone from the school at the funeral. He didn't need to tell us why. We all knew.

Not that knowling made it hurt less to only show days after. I was still in the wheelchair and Wilderkin rolled me up to her grave. I hadn't seen her full name until then. Her birth name was Gabriella Marie Eck. We wished we could leave something with her code name, but her parents would just remove it. So we just left flowers with our respects. I came back a year later to bury an X emblem in the dirt. At least it was something.

They found the guy who did it. Only after he tried to do the same to a mutant with a healing factor and anger issues.

Grief counseling probably did the best for me. Zippo, Quetzal, and Red-Eye confided in me they were changing sides after they didn't feel counseling gave them answers. "Magneto is right. They need to know their place."I couldn't talk them down from it. I wasn't together enough to do anything about their decision. Wilderkin just took a walk into a national park one day and never came back. Professor X reached him of course. But when Wolverine was sent to bring him back, he made it clear he'd rather die. Wolverine let him be and advised the rest of us he'd come back when he was ready.

The faculty was worried I'd do something just as drastic. So they were relieved when I said I'd stay at the school, but turned in my uniform and equipment. I told Professor X myself "I won't take a side. I just want to live." And he understood.

Graduation came, and I only had one parent by then. Mom was proud of me, and happy I was finally coming home. Cyclops gave me a graduation present I didn't open until I was home. It was everything I'd turned in with a simple note: 'When you're ready to believe in Gizmo again'. I still have it all. You don't throw away gifts.

I wasn't back in Plainfield long. The stares I learned to ignore. The signs I tolerated. Because Mom needed me. But when she passed, I sold the house I couldn't live in anymore and came to New York for college. It was what she wanted me to do with my life.

To be continued...

79TEtVclyDpa9C_qR_yU30SuWuiysSSnk_kBEb8mVPjpRZ3PKhF-BAb3opUJhoYbhOOgky9cJnkj=s0

...Save yours truly.

I bring my hand up to grip the end of the whip and try not to wince. Doesn't do good to show weakness here, though the Horse Master is less of a dick then most otherworldly gods.

Man likes his horses, I can respect that.

K0ZI0HH.png

"Horse Master. My name is-."

"-I know who you are. Where you came from. I know all about you boy, and let me tell you there are a Hell of a lot of ways easier to die then what you chose now."

He spat to the side and flicked his gaze up and down, looking me over. I reigned in the urge to ask if he was going to check my teeth before he spoke.

"Digging the hat though. At least you'll die pretty. You just about spent all your power getting here, didn't you?"

I shrugged self-consciously, but he was right. All my ghosts, all my powerful spirits I had bound to my service, including my new monkey? All gone. I had burned through them all to open a stable portal to the Far Fields realm and the only way back now, was to accomplish what I came here for. It was literally do-or-die for me.

I like to go all-in, keeps life interesting.

The Horse Master shakes his head and gestures out towards the distance at the horses running. I follow the direction of his hand and for a moment, forget to breath. Its beautiful here, in the Far Fields...But what makes it beautiful are the horses this realm belongs to, older then Eden if you believe the stories. The winds of eternity flow through the manes and their hoofbeats are what I imagine the hammer of creation sounded like, smacking on the anvil once upon a time. These are the Horses the legions of Hell ride, that the Valkyries choose, that draw the chariots of sun gods and the Four Horsemen themselves.

And here I was, a mortal Dampyr with a few tricks, thinking to tame me one of them.

I try not to think, I never get stuff done otherwise.

Without a word, I begin to disarm myself. I know the stories and I know the tales, around the campfires of the Lakota Tribe a long time ago. The Horse Master says nothing, he seems content to observe as I ensure everything on me that was a weapon is gone. No weapon forged, no spell created will ever bring these great beings down. Its a battle of will on will.

This is a really dumb idea.

But its the only game in town.

I leap off the side of the cliff, right before the stampeding herd.

----

Now and then, you had someone try their hand at mastering one of the horses. He rarely had to lift a finger in that regard, the horses usually could take care of little details like that. Mortal sorcerers with blown up senses of their own importance, demonic raiders, alien visitors, angelic assholes- The list went on and on. He had lost count of the times his horses had been assaulted, though he barely had to stand in to help.

And watching without a trace of remorse for the dead mortal, the Horse Master shook his head slowly and turned to head back to his rest...Before pausing as he looked back and whistled low.

"Well I'll be damned."

Among the herd of white, a flash of black would be seen as gripping the mane of one, the necromancer galloped upward to the Horse Masters side, the horse calmly allowing himself to be rode. Looking him over, the Horse Master whistled low.

"Boy, you must have been born under some lucky star. Chances of that actually happening were less then ten percent."

Lucifer grinned and patted the neck of his new friend.

"But there was a chance. All I needed to know."

The Horse Master laughed, a rich rolling sound like the hills and the plains he ruled as he shook his head once more.

"You need to name him. It has known no name, till the one you're about to give him."

The new rider considered thoughtfully before finally speaking.

"Shadow."

And the horse burst into flame.

oU95xQe.jpg

With a laugh of fierce joy, Lucifer patted the neck of his new friend with awe as the Horse Master chuckled aloud.

"Way you act, you never had a horse before."

"Not one like this." Lucifer said fervently, with another trace of joy...The world was strange and new. Too many new variables, too many strange and double sided talk. Now? Forever and always, he'd have something that had a connection to his old life, his old friends.

And slinging himself on Shadow, he paused and looked embarrassed.

"Umm, I don't suppose I could-?"

The Horse Master rolled his eyes as he drew on his power.

A portal crackled open and revealed the Earth, as the Horse Master spoke.

"It had been far, too long since a mortal up and tamed one of the herd. For this unusual sight? I grant you passage home. Your friend shall lead you places you otherwise could never go, but be warned...Not all paths were meant to be trod."

"Much obliged Horse Master." He touched the brim of his hat. The Horse Master made a gesture of respect in turn.

"Safe trails, Drakul's Legacy."

His weapons returned, Lucifer looked at the portal in consideration. A horse beneath him, the road before him and the wide plains....He finally felt like himself again and with a sudden laugh, he clicked his tongue and galloped away.

Into whatever new adventure beckoned.​

"When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth."

Well, whoever came up with that quote was half-right. There wasn't enough room in Hell for sure and plenty of dead would be appearing on Earth's surface very soon. But they wouldn't be walking up there.

tumblr_o7eid3vFYh1r7sijxo1_500.gif

He would make damn sure of that.

If a demon got up there, it'd be in so many pieces you wouldn't even be able to tell that at one point, this thing had been alive. It may as well have just looked like a wriggling sac of bloodied guts. But who was this mysterious savior that would deliver upon us the destruction of Hell itself? Well, we're still not quite sure on what his true name is. When most people hear of his accomplishments, they amusingly refer to him as 'The Doom Guy' for wherever this man went, doom would soon fall upon all those who dared to stand in his way. But the levels of demons contained with the bowels of Hell had their own title for this absolute beast of a man.

They called him the Doom Slayer. Hell was supposed to be humanity's doom for every demon would rend humanity of their flesh and find glorious revelation in doing so. But this one being stood in their path and made sure Hell knew exactly who was standing up to them. In the most gratuitously bloody display of righteous vengeance ever known on Earth or Hell.

giphy.gif

At one point the powers that be in Hell were so frightened of this one man that they threw all of their forces at him. But their intention hadn't been to kill him. No demon alive seemed to be able to pull off a feat like that. However, if they could just contain him long enough to complete their invasion of Earth then it didn't matter if he was still alive and breathing or not! Hell would have completed it's objectives and the Doom Slayer would have been forced to wallow in his failure!

But as you've probably come to learn, the bad guy never wins in these kinds of stories. Eventually discovering about the one man that made the hair stand up on every demon's neck, the Harbinger of Hell's destruction, humanity worked to free him from the imprisonment that the demons had left him in. Once he was awakened and discovered that he was the only one left who could put Hell and it's denizens in their place, the DOOM Slayer wasted no time and went right to work.

But not without a healthy bit of exposition here and there to help him along the way. After all, if he was going to be fighting demons than he had to know what the situation on the ground was like right?

fe1.gif

...Well, provided he cared about the information that was being fed to him. The Doom Slayer was by no means an idiot or just a savage brute. Rather than trying to think out some kind of coherent plan, he was much more in favor of simply destroying any demons who stood in his way. Seemed very cut and dry that way with no need for any kind of hassle to interfere with the task at hand. But try as he might to avoid people telling him what he didn't care to hear, as he was going to engage in a battle with another horde of demons, he heard something over a nearby speaker.

"We're picking up strong anomalies of demonic energy circulating into one point in the room you're about to enter! Stay back while we try to disrupt it-"

*BANG!*

Lowering his shotgun, the man looked over in the direction of the ruined speaker. He didn't need a lecture on what Hell was capable of. He'd been fighting them for years and he knew...exactly...What they were capable of???

3d7dbb157c11550126326c5e47e61b2a.jpg

"...???"

He had burst in with his gun at the ready and there was nothing there. No demons, nothing. Was this some kind of trap? Had that been what they were blabbering about on the speaker? Cautiously stepping further into the room, it was at that moment he heard movement coming from up above. Glancing upward as saliva dripped onto his helmet, the man narrowed his eyes as demons of all kinds leaped down at him.

The shotgun fired and even when he had emptied both barrels, he didn't waste any time reloading. Swinging the shotgun like one might have swung a bat, the gun careened through the hair and cracked a demon's skull wide open. With blood gushing out like a fountain, it was only at that moment in the Doom Guy's rampage that he noticed there seemed to be somewhat of a ticking noise. It sounded far too close for his liking. Glancing around, it wasn't until he heard a demon speak that he knew exactly where the source of the ticking was.

"It's on your back, Doom Slayer..."

That's why they had all jumped at him at once. They took advantage of his rage and planted the bomb upon him while he was busy bloodying his hands. Those goddamn demon bastards! He would rip them apart limb from-

*BOOM!*

The device went off but this wasn't any kind of bomb. This had been a device specifically crafted to try and rid the demons of the Doom Slayer once and for all! Wherever he ended up now? That was that world's problem, not theirs. But as the smoke cleared and the Doom Slayer was nowhere to be seen, one could only wonder. Where had he gone..?

Status
Not open for further replies.