Badger Supreme
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill
Time: Monday, study hall hours, 1st week of lessons

People stared at him. Of course, they stared at him. His face had a massive scar to stare at. However, some could argue that they were staring at a student that should, by all means, be at the castle, studying or, at the very least, pretend to be studying. The school year had only just begun. Hogwarts students were not expected to be at Hogsmeade at this stage. Yet here he was, roaming around in a sherpa jean jacket, cargo pants and trekking boots, his wand neatly tucked into his back pocket. Caleb had decided to skip study hall this evening in favor of taking on a challenge issued by Professor Hildegard that very morning. The man's words had stuck in Caleb's mind every since their conversation had been over.

He was going to try the suggested approach, if it worked, he would happily admit defeat. However, he did not feel optimistic about it just yet. The stares were beginning to make him too self-conscious for comfort, so he pulled up his hood to obscure his face. Hands dug in his pockets as he felt the coin pouch against his palm. The goal was to get peace offerings for his friends. A way to ease things to what would be an awkward and potentially disastrous conversation. It was relatively easy, a stop at Honeydukes for August and Ainslie, a stop at Zonko's for Felix, though he would definitely regret equipping the beanstalk for pranks that could potentially be directed back at himself. But there was a fourth person he had to talk to and that person was a bit more tricky to work with. "What would Glesni like?" He found himself muttering as he paused outside Honeydukes.

Somehow he doubted that Princess would like a prank from Zonkos but most of his interactions with her had been either of the teasing fashion or the confrontation fashion. Oftentimes Bludgers were involved as well. Not exactly the kind of interactions that would allow him to get to know her and her likes. But he ought to thank her for indirectly saving his life. So when in doubt, go to Honeydukes. People rarely detested sweets.

RAVENA FAWLEY

f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpgLocation: Hogsmeade --> Honeydukes
Time: Monday afternoon
Interactions: Caleb O'Neill - @DayDreamer

Was her calling in sick essential? No. Was she able to adjust her obligations with the meeting and arrange her time better? Definitely! Did she care she completely flipped these two things?

Absolutely not.

It was highly likely that nobody bought her little "feeling under the weather" trick. She didn't believe they ever did. But she was as close as essential as Durmstrang allowed, and she would be damned if she did not use it as much as possible.

It also helped she had no classes today...

Stopping in the middle of the busy Hogsmeade alley, Ravena Fawley inhaled deeply. She did her best to experience the freedom of Hogsmeade all in one go; the smells of freshly baked goods, the sweetness of candy, the fresh September air flowing through the street, and all the sounds. Ah yes. The sounds! Especially a row of juicy swears, a drunk old dwarf threw her way, stopping in front of her.

"Get outta 'ere ya ba'my! This ain't the Academy, and ya sure as bloody hell ain't Beery! Bugger off!" He mumbled on while he moved aside on his own, granted having a bit of difficulty maintaining his balance.

"Well, hello and good day to you too, kind sir!" Ravena dramatized after him. "What a lovely day to get wankered, ain't it?" Once the dwarf disappeared out of sight, she turned on her heels, facing the direction she intended to go in the first place. "As awesome as ever," she chuckled to herself, retrieving her hands in the shallow pockets of her leather jacket. She looked more like... well, honestly more anything than a professor of any kind, and that was alright. For once, she had no faces to avoid trying to get some peace... For now.

But there was one specific place she was dying to visit ever since Glesni talked all about it on her first visit there. Honeydukes Shop windows were hard to miss even from some distance away, and she could tell right away why her niece mentioned the place so many times. It looked like heaven in the form of a real, existing house of wonders! It was a funny and a bit of a tragic thing how she shared more with her niece than her own mother did; sweet tooth being only the tip of the iceberg.

Politely stepping aside and allowing a pair of two half-giants in love to pass, she stepped across the alley, towards the shop. Halfway in, a hooded figure emerged out of nowhere, and seeing how they were unaware of their presence, she slowed down her eager step, allowing them to advantage. It would also be a lie to say she wasn't curious enough to stop and study them, if only for a moment.

Narrowing her eyes from some distance, she had concluded it most certainly was a guy. And he most certainly had the same idea, seeing as he stopped in front of Honeydukes, apparently debating whether he should enter.

Curiosity killed the cat. Well. Almost. Just before a small cart rushed through the alley, Ravena jumped forward and out of the way. There was no turning back now! She was patient enough. If they insist on just standing out there, that was fine. Weird, but okay. She would ask their loyal weirdness to move and walk past. Yes, that is what she will do.

Clearing her throat, she approached the figure from behind and opened her mouth to speak, but it seemed that the male was already busy with another premise that she for a moment thought was directed to her for some odd reason she could not explain. Between the lively voices in the alley, she managed to identify a question.

"What would Glesni like?"

As if on instinct before even thinking about it, Ravena chuckled, passing him from the side.

"Are you kidding me?" she cocked her eyebrow, attempting to identify the male. If only he weren't so darn wrapped around in his own clothes! "Chocolates for days! You can't go wrong there," she advised casually. Now, what were the odds that whoever the guy was referring to and her niece had the same name? It was possible. And just in case that was the case, and she promptly embarrassed herself, she quickly added. "I mean, you tell me! What girl doesn't love chocolate? And if she doesn't, then she really isn't worth the effort." Nailed it! She grinned, pointing towards the entrance to the shop. "Do you mind? That's a rather weird place to choose to stand and ponder on your life's choices. It's candy. It isn't that serious, little man," she teased, passing forward and grabbing the handle and turning back to face him as one more attempt of identification.

"Do I know you, kid?" The raven-haired woman narrowed her eyes at his face, merely asking the question to distract from the fact that it was a relatively awkward situation for the guy. For a moment, she remained staring at him before blowing a raspberry and finally opening the door. "Nah. You're just one of those faces, ain't ya? Well! I'll be seeing you inside then!" With a small wave, Ravena disappeared into the shop.

...except he wasn't, and her secrecy sensors were tingling.

Last edited:
  • OMG
Reactions: Nemopedia
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

"Are you kidding me? Chocolates for days! You can't go wrong there," A woman's voice answered his question casually and Caleb nearly jumped. He had not expected an answer to his mumbling thoughts and he gaped as he got a look at the woman who was quick to add to her initial suggestion. "I mean, you tell me! What girl doesn't love chocolate? And if she doesn't, then she really isn't worth the effort." Still rather surprised at the situation at hand, Caleb did not react much which seemed to prompt the woman to speak her mind further. "Do you mind? That's a rather weird place to choose to stand and ponder on your life's choices. It's candy. It isn't that serious, little man," Now that got him out of his stupor as he straightened up on instinct. If his pride was an owl, it would be hooting indignantly with puffed up feathers. Still, he moved slightly to the side as the woman moved forward. He stared at her. Why did she look so familiar? He had never seen her before. He was certain of it. An attitude like hers he would have remembered for sure.

"Do I know you, kid?" That was his line! But before he could react, the woman decided it was not something she wanted to spend too much time on. "Nah. You're just one of those faces, ain't ya? Well! I'll be seeing you inside then!" He snorted incredulously at her comment about his face being one of those generic familiar types. His hood was doing a good job at obscuring his scar but he knew it did not make it fully disappear. He was intrigued but he was confused at the same time. He had reacted on instinct at keeping the door open with his hand once the woman went inside, his eyes following her trail, but apparently he had stayed put for longer than normal. "Oi! Close the door will you? It's cold outside!" A young man's voice called out to him. A voice he knew all too well. James Flume, grandson of Ambrosius Flume and former Gryffindor Seeker, was running the front of the house that afternoon by himself. It was the off-season so to speak as students were not supposed to be in Hogsmeade just yet.

"Sorry, James." Caleb apologized as he ushered himself in and quickly closed the door behind him, taking his hood off and ruffling his hair just a little bit. "Caleb's that you mate?" Came James' surprised reply as he leaned over the counter to squint at Caleb's face as if trying to bypass the scar as nothing more than a smudge. "Do you know anyone else that would skip study hall to come to Hogsmeade?" Caleb replied with an insecure smirk and moved further inside the shop, making his way towards the cauldron cakes. It would have given James less time to study his face as the way the cakes were stacked would mean his unburnt side would be visible to his old Housemate. "I can name a few, but they are no longer students." James chuckled in response. "So what brings you here this early in the season?" His tone was a bit more serious yet still relaxed. "I messed up and I need peace offerings." Caleb admitted after a short silence and James nodded. "I heard on the news. I knew you liked trouble Caleb but I also thought you knew not to bite more than you can chew." The wince that elicitated did not escape James, who chuckled once again. "Guess I was wrong on how much you can chew. You made us proud kid."

Now that brought a smile to Caleb as he rubbed his neck a bit awkward. A warm, fuzzy feeling was slowly growing inside him. Perhaps Professor Hidlegard was right. If he was at ease with his face then people were too. Or maybe it was the fact that James knew him rather well in the two years that they spend together as students. He had been the cool senior that Caleb was looking up to. The one who had introduced him to brooms and had encouraged his fascination on the subject. He had never judged, always encouraged, even when it meant breaking school rules. There was a good reason James Flume was not even remotely considered for the positions of Prefect and Head Boy. "Shut up mate you're making me sappy. How about you help me out with a thank you box instead?" Was Caleb's sheepish response, which only elicited a knowing chuckled from James and he tapped his hands on the counter energetically. "Alright, who is it for then?" He asked as he moved from behind the counter.

"A girl from Slytherin." Caleb said as he picked a pack of cauldron cakes and moved around to gather the items he needed for the rest of his friends. "Ooh! Going for that snake charm Cal? Slytherin ladies have always been goals." James teased as Caleb glared at him. "It's to thank her not flirt her mate. She is fine, but she is more preoccupied with shooting me out of the sky in Quidditch matches than anything else!" He protested. "Sure mate, whatever you say." James chuckled and moved around the shop, considering options.

RAVENA FAWLEY

Now, given her strict upraising - or its attempt - Ravena knew the rule of manners enough to abuse them without being overly intrusive. After all, it was no fun blowing the opportunity before it even managed to reach an exciting cumulation. Smirking politely, Ravena greeted the young man behind the counter and proceeded into the room, interesting herself in a carefully stacked pile of treacle fudge cubes. The first words were exchanged between the two males as soon as the door closed.

Bingo.

Ravena paused briefly, processing the name the boy was addressed with, and it brought a cunning smirk on the woman's face as she made her way around tables, collecting the sweets of interest, deliberately taking her time. Caleb O'Neill. In a flash! What were the odds?

As he progressed further into the store, Ravena casually slid in between the shelves in the corner, browsing an array of lollipops.

"I messed up, and I need peace offerings," Caleb responded to his acquaintance, and Ravena reacted to herself by shooting her eyebrows up. Shocker. Glesni was guilty of being overly-critical just about everything, but who was she to object after hearing it twice at this point?

"I heard on the news. I knew you liked trouble, Caleb, but I also thought you knew not to bite more than you can chew," the acquaintance responded to him. "Guess I was wrong on how much you can chew. You made us proud, kid." Evidently, it meant something to the guy, even though he quickly distanced himself from it in a very familiar fashion. "Shut up, mate; you're making me sappy. How about you help me out with a thank you box instead?"

Teenagers... Unbelievable.

As if they shared the same idea, the guy behind the counter chuckled and dropped it rather than trying to get O'Neill to tell him anything, bringing the attention back to Caleb's request for help.

"Alright, who is it for then?" At this point, Ravena had found herself leaning against the shelf, tapping around.

"A girl from Slytherin," Caleb responded, and the dark-haired woman celebrated for reasons only known to her, thrusting her fists forward through the air in triumph before collecting herself and grabbing a lollipop closest of the bunch, rotating it in her hand. She proceeded with her browsing with a smug smirk on her lips.

"Ooh! Going for that snake charm Cal? Slytherin ladies have always been goals." Briefly, Ravena stopped, her smirk turning into a pout as she turned halfway to shoot the guy a scolding glare discreetly. Men were disgusting, and she was slightly disappointed. But the guy himself didn't seem to be old enough to understand, nor was he of her immediate concern. Regardless, he was eager to see how such an opinion would reflect on O'Neill.

"It's to thank her, not flirt her mate," He responded. That was a good response, she reckoned. "She is fine, but she is more preoccupied with shooting me out of the sky in Quidditch matches than anything else!" It fished out another light chuckled from Ravena.

"That's my girl," she mused to herself before she spoke up with a grin, unwrapping the lollipop in her hand. "I don't know, Caleb," she accentuated his name on purpose as a fact she just now learned by not being able to help it but to hear bits and pieces of their exchange. "Seems to me she is pulling your pigtails," she concluded in a sing-song voice, turning her attention towards his friend. "And they might be goals, yes... Until they bite," she flashed him a challenging glare as she popped the lollipop into her mouth.

Oh, wait...

The moment of badassery was gone as soon as it emerged after she had realized what just happened. "Oh! Um..." Ravena cleared her throat, keeping the lollipop in her mouth. "I'll pay for this," she exclaimed, almost as if she was already accused of stealing. "Just put it on the count," she requested more confidently, referring to Caleb as she once more offered him an approving glance, detaching from the lemony delight for a moment. She wasn't much of a lady, but even she knew a healthy amount of disrespect from savagery. "And speaking of counts, drop everything the Snake Charmer wants on mine. It's not every day I get to meet The-Boy-Who-Lived of our time. Which reminds me; that is why your face was familiar. Huh... Interesting. The least I can do is help you with the sweets," she grinned, continuing to enjoy the candy.

"And before you say anything, I do not take a 'no' for an answer."

• OMG
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

The raven-haired woman decided to enter the conversation as well, causing both James and Caleb to turn and look at her but then, they had to look at each other sharing a 'what the fuck just happened?' glance before looking at her again. How was it possible such a mix of confidence and sheepish mess up exist in one person. But there it was again. Why did both of them insist that this was more than a thank you gesture? None of them knew Glesni. He never stood a chance and while he enjoyed messing with her nerves, always in good fun, he never really thought of trying to date her. He was not a masochist. He has had enough hexes and bludgers from her to last him a lifetime, but her worst weapon was words. She was quite good at using them and he was not. "I am not trying to date her!" Caleb insisted in exasperation as he grabbed a nearby box of Sugar quills for August. The guy was always studying and Caleb was told that sugar helped whenever you felt your energy low and your focus wavering. Perhaps it would help August cope with the insane studying regimes he subjected himself to.

"All she ever does is bite and admitting she saved my hide is going to make her bites worse, but I have to give her credit for it." He added as he turned to look at the woman once more, eyes narrowing not at her offer to pay for his little shopping trip, but to the familiar feeling still nagging at the back of his head. Why was she so familiar? James shook his head at Caleb's protests and patted him on the back with a teasing smile. "Alright mate, so what do you want in that box? What does she like?" He asked as he made note of the lollipop the woman had just opened during her little smug moment. "No bloody clue. If you have anything like a bludger, she might enjoy throwing that at me before eating it." Caleb replied quickly before turning his focus on the woman's offer and nickname for him.

"Thank you for the offer ma'am, but you don't have to do this. In fact, I would rather you not. It's complicated to explain, but I would like to do this myself if you don't mind." He said politely. Just because he was having a nagging feeling about her and had been under the weather lately, it didn't mean he had forgotten his manners. His mom and grandpa would have a few choice words for him if he had. It didn't matter they wouldn't have been able to say them from the grave. Caleb knew and that was enough.

"Besides, I am not anything like Harry Potter. I was just lucky and would have burned into a crisp if it wasn't for that girl." He admitted and titled his head lightly to the side. "But do I know you? You seem familiar somehow." It was weird, but somehow he felt like he was safe. He knew James wouldn't judge and he could tell him stuff with almost the same ease as with the rest of his close friends, but somehow that woman he had never met before also made him comfortable enough to do so in her presence. Was it the positive interactions he has had so far after attempting to follow the Potions Master's advice? Was it the fact that he was always worried about making his close trio of friends sad and that these two at Honeyduke's were not as close to him? He couldn't say, but it probably didn't matter at that point. So far Professor Hildegard had been proven right.

RAVENA FAWLEY

Listening to the boy borderline complaining about this one particularly familiar Slytherin girl had Ravena empathize with him for a brief moment. Grils could be nasty. She knew it, and she used it, and she most certainly knew Glesni was guilty of so much more than she was at her age. To be fair, the fact that she even bothered to give the boy a minute of her day came as a surprise. She hardly ever showed any such interest in anyone to the point where she seemed truly affected by someone's presence, albeit selling it as something negative and annoying.

Hearing about her friend August was exciting and a relief. Hearing about the annoyance that was O'Neill was exciting and terrifying at the same time. Now that she laid her eyes on the famous bug in Glesni's perfect agenda, she was reassured.

"Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a big ol' 'Told you so', but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. If the girl really disliked you, I'd say she wouldn't make an effort to be annoyed by you in the first place", Ravena grinned. "In my humble opinion, as a part of the tribe."

Caleb's further comments about the bludger-like delight made her laugh out. "A funny guy, huh? Kid, you're a full package," the dark-haired woman amused herself on, randomly picking several chocolate frog packages. Who would have thought that collecting all of the wizarding cards would be so bloody hard? She proceeded, absolutely aware of Caleb's eyes on her. Yet, she did not acknowledge his immediate involvement in her personal space until he spoke up. It left Ravena hovering with her hand over the chosen pack as she turned her head, acknowledging him with a glimpse over the shoulder.

"Thank you for the offer, ma'am, but you don't have to do this. In fact, I would rather you not." Ravena cocked her eyebrow, turning on her heels to face the boy. "Alright, so, which part of 'I do not take no for an answer' was unclear for you, lad?" Seemingly ignoring her input, Caleb insisted, causing her to assume a more dominant and graceful stance, for the first time appearing as someone capable of feeling insulted.

"It's complicated to explain, but I would like to do this myself if you don't mind." It wasn't complicated at all. Ravena fully understood his point. Even so, outright refusing such a generous offer was peculiar in more than one way. What happened to the moody brat she thought she knew about? The big, foul, good-for-nothing trouble in the making.

"Oh, now. I do mind. Greatly. If you weren't as amusing, I would outright feel quite insulted", Ravena answered in a flat, disinterested tone, mumbling rather than stating. But she indeed was highly amused and unexpectedly curious about the boy now that he was there, smashing all previously known details related to his name.

"Besides, I am not anything like Harry Potter," the boy proceeded, and Ravena shifted her focus back at him. "I was just lucky and would have burned into a crisp if it wasn't for that girl." For a moment, she cracked a mild, almost caring smirk. Perhaps out of pride for her niece - ignoring the fact that she still stood by her decision to almost kick her ass for it - or maybe because she simply loved sappy things.

"Oh, please," she chuckled loudly, throwing her head back. "Don't flatter yourself, nor Harry Potter. You may be a great wizard, but you are nothing without people that got your back," she nodded, finally grabbing the pack she was planning to. "I was not referring to either of your capabilities to cast. I was referring to the fact that you are worth the bother," she smirked, pointing out at different candy he carried. "Having to apologize to so many people indeed looks like your crap is worth enduring...for some reason. Ah, but what do I know," Ravena added in a sing-song voice.

"But do I know you? You seem familiar somehow." The question came out of nowhere, but still, Ravena did not seem too shocked to hear it. She was aware of the fact that her niece was often confused for her own daughter. Being so similar was bound to raise such and alike questions. But where was the fun in giving any hints? That's not how Ravena Fowley did things.

"Really now?" she asked, seemingly surprised. "I can assure you that you haven't met me before. I would undoubtedly recall," she grinned. "I guess I just got... one of those faces." Pausing briefly, she sighed, giving up on insisting.

"What a bore. Fine. If you insist on blowing out all your galleons, be my guest. But for the girl, at least go with classic artisan chocolates. Can't go wrong with classics", she winked knowingly. "When you live with all the wizarding nick-nacks for so long, a right old boring box of chocolates seems like a novelty to get excited over. Trust me on that one at least. Since you do not wish to accept my so generously offered coin." She said somewhat dramatically, as she looked around at all of the usual wizarding this-and-that's. "Well, uh, I'd assume there is something like that somewhere in the back, no?" She asked the guy that led the shop. "Perhaps he doesn't intend to date her, but it doesn't mean he still can't sweep her off her feet for a change," she nodded chuckling at her own joke.

Last edited:
  • OMG
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

This woman had a way to make him feel uncomfortable, not necessarily the bad kind of uncomfortable, but uncomfortable nonetheless. He felt out of his element and he would have embraced the challenge tossed at him head-on if it wasn't for last summer's event still lingering in his mind. When her posture changed to more poised and confident, his had involuntarily slumped, his hands awkwardly stuffed deeper in his pockets to accompany the motion.

"Well, uh, I'd assume there is something like that somewhere in the back, no? Perhaps he doesn't intend to date her, but it doesn't mean he still can't sweep her off her feet for a change." James got his cue and nodded with a bright smile. "Of course we do, but usually students don't care much about them, so we keep a small stash." He replied to the woman before turning to Caleb again. "Do you want me to get you some Cal?" As much as he agreed with the woman on that, it was Caleb's order, so he was the one to decide what to get.

"Uh.... sure mate." Came Caleb's uncertain decision. "Would be nice to get even the shortest of breaks from the bludgering." He admitted as his focus shifted on a pack of Pepper Imps. Normally he would have gotten one, just so he and Felix could sneak them into Ainslie's mix of candy and watch her breathe fire randomly. He shook his head. He had had enough fire for now. He moved on to grab a pack of Fizzing Whizzbees, Chocolate frogs and Drooble's Gum, falling silent as James had left the counter to go grab an assortment of their best chocolates.

RAVENA FAWLEY

Ravena did not even attempt to hide the fact that she was delighted by Caleb agreeing with her suggestion. "Goodie!" She exclaimed. "Now we're talking." She remained leaned against the counter with an extensive grin plastered on her face, even when Caleb distanced himself from the storm of crazy that was Ravena Fawley. Except, it was controlled chaos, and while she made a big deal out of a simple candy store visit, she still had a functioning pair of eyes and ears and a very sharp perception.

Curiosity killed the cat, it was said, but Ravena never allowed a bit of proverbial nonsense to stop her from striving towards what she wanted to know. Granted, she knew a thing or two about the incident already. It had created quite a bit of smoke, and it happened at the perfect time during the vacation when the eyes of the Wizarding World's worst gossip machines were all turned towards it to kill time - the Durmstrang collective.

They talked, and they talked a lot! And from her personal experience, it went from annoying to overwhelming in just a flick of a moment. Standing there, she had found herself sincerely hoping, as a teacher and as a person responsible for a teenager just like him, that Hogwarts was not as bad.

Sometimes, it was better not to say anything. But it didn't feel like quite the time to be silent either. Entertaining herself with an enchanted catalog of candy on the counter, she asked a simple question.

"So," she cleared her throat, flipping the pages only with partial interest. "Friends and cute girls you need to apologize to aside; how are you holding up, champ?" Ravena was well aware of the question's redundancy. How was he holding up? Like anyone who's life was so significantly affected out of nowhere, thank you very much. Probably deep down as equally stable as a dumpster fire.

Too soon?

"Well now, let me rephrase that," she spoke again, chasing away an imaginary little imp cackling in her head, cracking jokes over things that would not have been an ounce of funny seen with the boy's eyes. "Ready to stop avoiding people yet? Or is it just a special few that get that from you?"

But hey! Everyone had their own way of handling the nervousness, and maintaining a conversation like that felt like a lot of different stresses just evolved into a collective mind. What a feeling! Familiar. Not welcome.

"Better be getting ready to be known all around." Well, it certainly would not help it, but it was the truth, and Ravena was notorious for her almost comical inability to sugarcoat things and wrap up the facts in a way they were easier to look at.

"Terrifying. I know," Ravena commented neutrally, proceeding to browse the goods.

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

Caleb had welcomed the silence and the peace it brought with it, but the feeling did not last long. As he was pondering what else he could get that would also allow him to keep his pocket money for a longer period of time, the woman spoke again. "So... Friends and cute girls you need to apologize to aside; how are you holding up, champ?" It felt innocent enough, but Caleb clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Well now, let me rephrase that, ready to stop avoiding people yet? Or is it just a special few that get that from you? Better be getting ready to be known all around. Terrifying. I know." Still holding the packs, Caleb turned to face her again.

"What are you? A reporter?" He demanded as he found her knowledge or powers of deduction quite unnerving. He placed his things at the counter, unwilling to continue debating whether he should buy something else. All he wanted right now was to get out. This had turned from a safe place to something uncomfortable at the very least. "People don't want to know. They want to verify their own stupid beliefs. That's what's terrifying. You can quote me on that!" He added as he looked around to see where James had gone. His mood had really soured.

RAVENA FAWLEY

"What are you? A reporter?"

The sound of pages being turned over subsided and then stopped altogether. Ravena sighed audibly.

"Well," she spoke up, closing the catalog. "I suppose that is one way to criticize my wardrobe." Evidently, the boy had no hostile intention other than a solid defense from her curiosity, but comparing her to what seemed to be the lowest of lowlife in the Wizarding World still felt lousy, mate...

Biting her tongue, she focused back on the boy with what could only be described as an expression of disappointment.

"I prefer being seen as a concerned citizen, rather," Ravena addressed the question further, but Caleb did not seem to have any more patience left for vague explanation and mind games. But she couldn't help herself! It always had an exciting outcome. Sometimes more than the usual.

"People don't want to know," he proceeded to unwillingly respond to her question as he laid his purchase next to her - lots and lots of interesting sweets. The boy spared no coin. As much as one could have been saying for a student. "They want to verify their own stupid beliefs. That's what's terrifying. You can quote me on that!"

Ravena nodded, her energy dropping down significantly to what could be seen as a relatively normal level for a decent conversation. O'Neill was about to flee headfirst through the door, and, quite honestly, she felt like that would have been very wrong.

"Don't mind if I do," she simply replied, observing Caleb's unnerved face. "Bloody vultures tend to come knocking on my door till this day. I am sure some of them may use a good 'shut up' quote. Although, I've found that 'I will shove my wand up your arse' works a lot better than 'no comment' as a bellend repellant," she smirked charmingly. "Silence means approval. At least give them something they cannot assume over."

There she went again. She really had a hard time cutting the boy some slack. But what was she supposed to do when he made it so easy?

"What I am trying to say," Ravena added after pausing briefly. "Is that you have an obligation to yourself to make a stance. What people do with it is none of your concern, you see. On the other hand, stay quiet about it, and it's free for all," she shrugged, going ahead and turning the notebook in which the shop owner's magic quill was writing down diligently. It earned her a poke and several dissatisfied rustles from scandalized feather.

"Aye, you loony thing. Shoo," Ravena waved it off gently, taking a look at the amount she owned for her things. "Eh. I remember back when these were only a fraction of money they're worth now," she complained to nobody in particular, but it still seemed that quill took it personally, pushing harder against her hand to make her move away. "Alright, alright!" Ravena finally complied, returning the notebook in its proper position and removing her hand, after which the quill proceeded to do its job unbothered.

"Well, now. I best be going", the witch announced, taking out the galleons she owed from a reasonably heavy-looking pouch. "I have taken more than enough of your time, mister O'Neill. I am terribly sorry." She smirked, picking up her boxes. "My curiosity over such talented wizardry took the better of me. You could say it's a bit of a professional deformity."

Nodding slightly in greeting, she looked around once again. "You can tell your friend that he is welcome to keep the change. He's alright." Once again, she brought her attention back to the person of her interest.

"And as for you, mister, take care of yourself, alright? Do learn how to parry the cursed thing properly next time, yes? For a skillful caster like yourself, I believe, oh," she thought about it briefly. "A few intensive classes would do. You already seem to know the basics. But there is also a lot to learn. This," she nodded towards his scar. "This should not keep happening. You really can't parry everything with your face," she jested.

"Now then, I will get out of your hair. Wonderful to meet you. If you need any more advice on how not to scar yourself for life any further, we can arrange something."

Offering him another enigmatic smirk, Ravena gracefully made her way towards the exit.

Last edited:
Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

Make a stand for yourself. Own who you are and people will stop bothering you after a while. This was the second time he got roughly the same advice today. One from a teacher and one from a random stranger who seemed to have nothing to gain. Not that Professor Hildegard stood anything to gain either, except perhaps and more calm energy in his Advanced Potions Lessons. Having edgy teenagers in a room could do wonders without having the added effects of magic in the mix. The suggested fuck off quote brought a piece of Caleb's comfort back. Watching the playful interaction between the woman and the diligent pen, who he recalled James mentioning it had been there since the very beginning of the shop's history, allowed him to crack a soft smile.

It faded quickly when the woman turned to look at him, announcing her way out and the tipping of his former Housemate. He nodded in acknowledgment of her and turned to pay for his own stuff. "And as for you, mister, take care of yourself, alright? Do learn how to parry the cursed thing properly next time, yes? For a skillful caster like yourself, I believe, oh, a few intensive classes would do. You already seem to know the basics. But there is also a lot to learn. This, this should not keep happening. You really can't parry everything with your face" If he could have looked up any faster, he would have. He gaped at her for a moment. How could someone he had never met before, combine the scolding tone of his mom worrying about his wellbeing and his grandfather's teasing way of giving advice on achieving said scolding of taking care of himself, in a single farewell?

"Now then, I will get out of your hair. Wonderful to meet you. If you need any more advice on how not to scar yourself for life any further, we can arrange something." He hadn't had time to snap out of it fast enough. Just as she had left, James returned with the wrapped box of chocolates and, after a brief confusion over the woman leaving with a tip and a final teasing encouragement for Caleb to get the girl, the boy was out of the shop. His eyes scanned the alley for her. He really hoped she hadn't apparated. He hadn't heard the characteristic popping sound of Apparition. Then again he was so confused by that woman that he could have easily missed it. She reminded him of someone in the way she looked and acted. She had even managed to pull off the type of concern that his mother and grandfather would have pulled even from the grave. And for some reason he felt his walls lower. He felt as if he could stop being defensive even for a minute. He wanted more of those minutes. And she had offered something he was very curious of.

"Hey, wait!" He called out to the woman, thankful that she had not apparated. He hadn't even caught her name. If he lost her now, he would most likely never see her again.

RAVENA FAWLEY

f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpgLocation: Hogsmeade --> Alley

She walked away with hesitance. Deliberately. Well, she wasn't genuinely walking away but was buying time O'Neill needed to act on his curiosity. It would work. It always did. It used to work on her, it worked on her niece, and it sure as hell would work on the boy.

Ravena hummed to herself with a knowing smirk, switching around things she had purchased as she moved further.

Any moment now.

After a certain number of steps that she had seemed to be counting away, Ravena stopped, turning around. The alley still held no signs of the boy exiting the shop, but the fact did not seem to bother the woman. Instead, she gave it a final countdown for her own sake.

"And three. Two. One. Aaand now!"

At the end of it, she swiftly turned forward once again. As soon as she faced away, the voice sounded behind her, and she welcomed it with a grin.

"Hey, wait!"

Prepared, Ravena turned back once more, cocking her sharp eyebrow at the male. "Well then. Took you long enough. For a moment there, I thought I was wrong about you," she teased on, not really asking for any further explanation. In her mind, requesting her to wait was just as good as a direct confirmation of his interest. And sweet Merlin's beard, it was the most excitement she had in months. "I am quite happy I wasn't."

Visibly proud of her accurate assumption, Ravena wasted no time while the interest was still at its peak. "Now!" She exclaimed, looking around the street that seemed to become more vibrant and lively "How about a piece of cake with the conversation? Maybe a drink? I don't judge. When I was your age, my knowledge of drinks was already admirable."

With a tilt of the head, Ravena signaled the boy to follow. "Come now. I want to take a seat if you don't mind. Three Broomsticks? What say you?"

Truth be told, it really didn't matter what Caleb had thought or wanted. Even with the question asked, Ravena made her way confidently towards the named pub.

"Excited about the fresh start?" She asked him as soon as their steps synced up down the alley.

Unknown
Caleb O'Neill

"Well then. Took you long enough. For a moment there, I thought I was wrong about you," She had decided to walk away and, apparently, she had planned for this, but for once, Caleb was happy this was just some elaborate way to grab his attention. He would have hated it if he had missed his chance. He jogged up to her with the practiced ease of an athlete. "I am quite happy I wasn't." She added, pleased with herself as he reached her. "Now! How about a piece of cake with the conversation? Maybe a drink? I don't judge. When I was your age, my knowledge of drinks was already admirable." She was as energetic and excitable as she was inside Honeydukes and she looked around to identify a place for them to sit. "Even if I wanted to, they don't serve alcohol to students here." Caleb replied to her suggestion of a drink. He didn't really like the taste of firewhiskey, but he wouldn't say no to a good beer. He wasn't a heavy drinker, but indulging every once in a while was not wrong in his books and his dad didn't care as long as Caleb did not create trouble.

"Come now. I want to take a seat if you don't mind. Three Broomsticks? What say you?" Another rhetorical question by the way the woman moved without really waiting for his reply. He did shrug his shoulders regardless. It didn't really matter to him, though if she had suggested the Hog's Head, he would have been worried. Despite the change in the bar's significance during the Battle of Hogwarts, the new owner did not seem to have hygiene standards.

He did follow her however and soon a question she expected an answer, albeit in small talk fashion was given. "Excited about the fresh start?" He had to pause for thought. Was he excited about what this meeting might result in? He was intrigued and had been trying to reign in his expectations. Was he excited about starting a new school year with a scar that currently ran deeper than the red patch of charred skin on his face and a reputation and gossips that were not in his favor? Certainly not! "Yes and no. Only time will tell." He replied diplomatically as they entered the establishment that had several witches and wizards occupying the bar and tables already. It was not as busy as it could be given the time of the day, but it certainly was not a dead place either. They had plenty of options to sit down at.

He drew the attention of several patrons first because he was a student in Hogsmeade even though the trips had not officially begun and then because people noticed his scars. He could hear their chat quite down to a murmur briefly before they went back to their regular conversation. "Hey kid, aren't you supposed to be studying right now?" One of the barmaids that had taken over the majority of the workload off of Old Madam Rozmerta's shoulders quipped at him.

RAVENA FAWLEY

f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpgLocation: Hogsmeade --> The Three Broomsticks

Ravena's approach to any conversation went more or less as follows: an engagement nobody asked for, after which came tiring them out until they've agreed to listen, topped off with making sure they had absolutely no time to change their mind. Even though she talked over - more or less - all of the answers provided by the young man, she absolutely took note of each one.

He didn't want any unnecessary trouble.
He had no problem following the lead.
He certainly did not have his hopes up until he had a reason to.

Very good!

Granted, thinking a bit faster and being a more confident decision-maker would have been a plus, but nobody was perfect! And she had just the thing to help him with. It was not a question of whether or not he'd agree to it any longer, but whether or not he could take it.

"Ah yes, you see," Ravena was quick to parry his latest response as she stepped into the pub, "time doesn't tell a damn thing. Time's a tool, not a maker and breaker," she mused on, making her way between the tables, looking for just the perfect one; secluded enough for the noses present to mind their own business. Even though it was never really as simple as that. Ravena did not seem to be bothered by it, and she certainly expected her companion not to be either. Sure enough, he was doing very well.

"How about here, then?" She turned back, pointing at the selected table, just as Caleb attracted the attention of a barmaid. Huffing a strand of hair off of her face, Ravena huffed and laid down her purchases onto one of the seats, making her way towards the two.

"Yes! Hi. Hello," Ravena spoke cheerfully, holding her hand up in greeting as she stood behind Caleb. "Terribly sorry for the confusion. We were only now making our way back from the field practice, you see. The boy is here under healthy surveillance."

She continued smirking politely, even while barmaid's suspicious gaze drifted away from Caleb and onto her, assessing the situation. It was evident to Ravena that the woman was hardly convinced, which was not necessarily a bad thing, and she made it known with just as much enthusiasm.

"Well! I can tell the safety of our younglings goes far beyond Hogwarts around here. I am quite impressed," she proceeded. "I'd say Durmstrang has a lot to learn about common goals and community," she reckoned seemingly on random, but it was a seamless way of preventing the woman from meddling in further.

At the mention of Durmstrang, the barmaid's face gradually switched from inquisitorial to curious, and it was all Ravena needed to see to proceed. "They've sent me here to pay a visit to a very talented young wizard, you see," she announced, tapping Caleb's shoulder generously, hoping the boy was bright enough to play along.

"In fact! I am a professor there, and I can offer you my credentials," she suggested, tapping around her jacket and her pants. "I am... not quite sure where I left it all. Not a lot of time to think about small things like that when you have such a big task to prepare, you know," she chuckled, throwing the barmaid further off until the woman lost all of the points that she would base her questioning on - the golden formula. The woman seemed already fed up enough not to insist further.

"Shame. Oh well. If that would be all then," Ravena filled in again, not leaving much room for discussion, "I'll have a Wizard's Brew and any sweets you have as long as they're chocolate. The kid can have whatever he wants. My treat," she referred to Caleb with a chuckle. "Think fast, boy! We got a lot of work to do," she instructed, detaching herself from the conversation and making her way to her seat. There was time nor patience to discuss the matter further with anyone other than the boy following along.

DHaTOag.png
Caleb could not be considered a very good actor. He was quite a straightforward person, which usually worked against him. Then again, when he wanted to hide how he truly felt he acted out. Felix was the best example of this. In this scenario, he hadn't planned to lie about what he was doing in Hogsmeade when, yes, he was supposed to be studying. It was none of the barmaid's business and was about to tell her that when the raven-haired woman decided to resolve the situation by dropping a major bomb. And when he said major, he meant major. Tucking his hands in his pockets again, to keep them from fidgeting as the story unfolded before his eyes, he felt a smirk creeping up his face as the barmaid looked utterly lost and out of her element for once. "I'll have a Wizard's Brew and any sweets you have as long as they're chocolate. The kid can have whatever he wants. My treat," Caleb rolled his eyes at the mention of 'kid'. He would like to think he had outgrown the use of the word. Apparently not. "Think fast, boy! We got a lot of work to do," The barmaid looked at him now with the look of a dozen questions, trying to regain her composure. He shrugged, deciding to play along with the story for now. "What? I have been considering a transfer to Durmstrang for a while now and, now that I look the part, I got a chance." He tapped his burned side knowingly, though it was not an entirely smooth motion as there was the tiniest bit of hesitation in pointing out the obvious on his face. He was not completely ready yet. "I'll have a butterbeer and a slice of apple pie. Thanks!" He ordered up and gave no time to the woman to question his decision-making. Durmstrang had quite the reputation.

He went up to the table and grabbed the chair that allowed him to sit with his back on the barmaid so he could give his 'accomplice' the most incredulous of looks. Even his scarred eye had managed to open wide enough to appear of a regular size again. "What the bloody hell was that about?" He had questions. More than ever before but did his best to reign them in, as the woman in front of him had proven herself to be quite the manipulator of situations. If he wanted to stand a chance, he needed to take it slow.

RAVENA FAWLEY

Young man's confusion was to be expected, but a refreshing surprise was the speed at which he bounced back up on his feet, playing along. It was a bit of an insecure performance, but not bad! Not bad. At. All. Ravena enjoyed the show, lazily leaned against the table, occasionally nodding barmaid's way vigorously, confirming the boy's words.

As clumsy as it was, it seemed to be working, and Ravena found no reason to intervene, allowing Caleb to take it home. Convinced or no longer willing to openly question it - it didn't matter - but the barmaid distanced herself with the order, leaving Caleb to ponder on his own lie and Ravena to chuckle mischievously, leaning back in her chair.

"Not bad at all, kid. Bit cliché with the ghost story and all of the...that," she described vaguely, as she circled a finger in front of her face. "But I can work with that. It's good," she praised him, grabbing a peanut from the bowl in the middle of the table and tossing it into her mouth.

"What the bloody hell was that about?"

"What was bloody what about?" Ravena responded with her own question, quickly grabbing another small delight from the bowl, avoiding Caleb's inquisitorial glare. When she was confident the boy would not let it go, the witch rolled her eyes and lifted her hands defensively. "Fine. Alright. I'll talk. Merlin's beard."

She wouldn't. Not really. As much as she wished to, the task at hand made it a not-so-good idea.

"I am a professor at Durmstrang. Combat Magic. That is true. Take it or leave it," Ravena clarified quickly, semi-seriously. "Also, stereotypes hurt. I am...not saying they are entirely false but never the less. There are some excellent apples to pick from that tree," she jested with exaggerated confidence, clearly alluding to herself. "But I am not a headhunter. I am here on business, but not to chase for talents. What do you take me for? First a journalist, now this. Shame."

It was a perfect little balance between facts and strategically placed non-truths. "That being said, my offer to train you was an honest one. Don't get me wrong, Hogwarts is a great school. Go sleeping dragons and all that. Very nice. But," she emphasized as she halted to take a breath and build suspense. "Hogwarts is also too nice for its own good." It was one sentence she wished she could joke about, but even in a relaxed atmosphere and said so casually, it was a bitter truth.

"Every single one of the teachers there, even the daring ones, will always reject teaching you what Durmstrang considers a common knowledge, and that," she paused again, remembering to ease up on the technicalities. The kid wasn't ready. Not yet. To be honest, no one was. "That is why stereotypes hurt." An unusually vague conclusion to such a dramatic part was justified. The barmaid had returned and was now serving the table.

"Ah! Wonderful!" The chirp returned to Ravena's voice as she sipped her drink and hungrily dug into the first bite of cake. "I mean, I am just saying. I am willing to teach you, and I will be here for a few days. Enough for some basics. Figured you'd like to see how not to burn yourself to death", she smiled widely, returning to her dessert.

"Eat your pie, boy. It's getting cold. It's a tragedy for such a masterpiece."

DHaTOag.png
"What was bloody what about?"
The woman responded mischievously and, under any other circumstances, he would have sat back and relaxed with a bag of popcorn to enjoy the spectacle. But now he was on the receiving end and he was not willing to let go. "Fine. Alright. I'll talk. Merlin's beard." She gave up with a bit of an exasperated antic and Caleb crossed his arms over his chest waiting for an explanation.

And the explanation came. And he listened without saying a word. Not even when the barmaid came over to bring their orders, to which he reacted with a simple nod of his head. A head that felt like it was about to explode. What the fuck had he just gotten himself into? "Eat your pie, boy. It's getting cold. It's a tragedy for such a masterpiece." The switch in moods was something he should have expected from the woman by now, yet it still caught him off guard. She was as cheerful as Felix and yet she could do a 180 and be as serious as Headmistress McGonagall. Per her suggestion, he reached out for his order but downed a large sip of butterbeer instead of eating his piece of pie. Whether it was out of confusion or silent defiance remained to be seen. If one thing was clear, it was that he was pulling his thoughts in order.

"I don't even know your name, much less who to take you for." He began as he placed the butterbeer mug on the table once more. "And you are right. Hogwarts can be too nice for its own good. If it wasn't for a Durmstrang transfer, I would have already burned to death and I wouldn't be the only one." He agreed and his fork poked at the pie, while his gaze was fixated on the woman. Searching. Questioning any and every motive she might have. Was he becoming paranoid? Perhaps, but having spent a significant part of his life under the pressure of not being discovered as a bastard and now also trying to avoid the stain of being a Death Eater in the making did not do him or the woman any favors.

"I won't say no to pointers from a Professor of combat magic." He finally broke his stare and ate a piece of apple pie. "But I already know the counter spell." Was this a dare? A challenge to see what she had to offer besides something he already knew but was not fast or good enough to perform under pressure?

RAVENA FAWLEY

Not much was going through Ravena's head while they sat in momentary silence. She was an overthinker, and thus, all of the possible scenarios had already played in her head several times, and she was confident she had a valid enough response for any direction their conversation may have gone in. She waited patiently without giving all of it away. Besides her enthusiastic indulgence in the dessert, she did not seem to be in a rush to disclose the matter any further.

Caleb was the first one to break the silence as she hoped he would do. And, if anything, it showed he was interested before he explicitly said so. "Mhm," she mumbled and nodded at the mention of her name. It was a fair point. She had the upper hand in the knowledge of a person she was talking to, and that was hardly a fair play. But when was life ever playing by the rules? All the lessons were to come in due time. For now, knowing that the young man's intuition is in the right place pleased her enough.

A joyful chuckle escaped her. Another mention of her niece, unbeknownst to the very person that had mentioned her. "See? We aren't all that bad. Just misunderstood. The principles we go by are misunderstood. Quite frankly, sometimes by the students and staff members themselves, but alas," the witch responded light-heartedly, although the fact that Durmstrang allowed itself to still be of such unflattering reputation has been a base of many clashes she had with her colleagues.

"Proud to say, I likely taught her all that she knows. There were several very talented young people going through my class, and I'd be happy to add you to the list!"

It was only partially true, considering her niece received a bit of extra on the side. A decision that possibly saved her life but also ruined it just as much.

Caleb's agreement - honest but still a bit reluctant - stopped Ravena from elaborating on her thought further. But, little did he know, she owed him one.

"But I already know the counter spell."

Ravena's mug hovered just out of reach of her lips as his words reached her. Tilting her head slightly, she peeked behind it with her eyebrow cocked high.

"And?"

Allowing it to sink in for a moment, she scoffed and completed her sip, lowering the mug.

"You know the counterspell, but you sure as hell do not know how to counter it," she explained briefly. "You wouldn't partake in a simple apparition not knowing it will be a successful one, I take? So what makes you think your counter was in any way on par with the force of the spell you've encountered if you hadn't gotten out of it unscathed?" The tone of her voice was calm and collected, but the speed in which she spoke and a defiant glint in her eye gave away the genuine passion she had for the art of combat.

"It isn't a charm gone wrong that you can undo or a hex that you can laugh off and try again. In any real situation, you will likely get one chance and one chance only to not mess it up," Ravena nodded decisively at her own words. "Books and theory cannot teach you that," she proceeded with a mild smirk. "Mind you, I in no way am saying what they do teach you is laughable. On the contrary, Durmstrang would have a lot to learn from Hogwarts. And while the limits they are setting work perfectly fine for the majority of magic folk, I am afraid you're way past that limit for any of it to truly count. And Fiendfyre is just a beginning."

Well. So it seemed. The first lesson had already begun.

"Ravena Fawley. A pleasure to meet you," she added casually, a lopsided smile returning to her face. "And, as I've said before, I know a thing or two."

Attachments

• f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpg
    f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
DHaTOag.png
"Proud to say, I likely taught her all that she knows. There were several very talented young people going through my class, and I'd be happy to add you to the list!" There was something wrong with that sentence. His gut feeling had alarmed him, but he had no time to figure out what it was. A challenge for a challenge. Her question and subsequent clarification had him pause on his dessert. "So what makes you think your counter was in any way on par with the force of the spell you've encountered if you hadn't gotten out of it unscathed?" Glaring at the half-finished dessert he muttered through his teeth. "I bloody survived it, didn't I?" It was a poor excuse and he had a million of those, begging to be let out and defend his abilities. Nobody had taught him the counterspell. Nobody had given him the chance to try it in a controlled environment. He had done everything on his bloody own! His ego was rebelling at the thought he was not capable of handling the damn spell, but he knew they were valid but superficial reasonings. He had gotten lucky in the sense that his skills were barely on the threshold that allowed him to get out of the situation with minimal damage.

"It isn't a charm gone wrong that you can undo or a hex that you can laugh off and try again..." He remained silent but as he looked up from his dessert, his mind was clear on the subject. No shit, Sherlock! "...In any real situation, you will likely get one chance and one chance only to not mess it up," He knew that very well. He had heard a variation of those words again and again and for the most part, they were just a tiny part of a larger and more hurtful lecture. He didn't need that. Not again. Not anymore.

As if the woman had read his mind, she diverted what sounded like the start of a familiar lecture to a discussion of educational choices instead. Criticizing and praising Hogwarts at the same time. But one thing stood out to him and it filled him with dread. Fiendfyre was only the beginning? What did that even mean? That whole thing was a bloody accident. Being at the wrong place at the wrong time. All he had to worry about now would be to return to as much of a normal life as he could with a scar that flared up in ghost pain far more often than he would have liked. If the pain never returned, it would have been too soon.

"What do you mean it's just the beginning? I just happened to pass by!" He interjected, his dread getting the better of him as she was introducing herself. The name registered in his mind, but he was too rilled up to respond with the standard pleasantries. He really did not like the prospect of going through a similar experience any time soon. Which is exactly what Miss Fawley seemed to be suggesting right then and there.

f97bc6ce85f7cae3070233f16733ea79.jpgRAVENA FAWLEY

It soon became evident that she had managed to unnerve the boy. Ravena gave herself and her big blabbermouth a mental slap. It manifested as a short bite of a reality check on her lower lip. She was thinking, and without rushing to respond, she lifted her index finger. "Alright. Take a breath, will ya?" It was a calm and collected request. Even though he did not put it in words, Caleb's anxiety was too loud for her thoughts to rearrange.

What she had meant to say was that he was noticed. Branded. That they will not be happy to just let him walk away. She also meant to say that his little accidental stroll involved him more than she wished to tell him. But, all things considered, Ravena agreed on a version that presented the slightest danger to his mind.

"It is just a beginning," she repeated calmly. "There is plenty more magic knowledge that can be used for destruction. You never know when and how something similar can happen again." She had a good idea of what to expect, granted. But to say Ravena was even remotely prepared to face what she knew of was an overstatement. The only thing she was sure about was: if Branok Carrow had his dogs up and ready over it, then it was more than just an incident.

"Better to be prepared, I always say!" But, of course, they were all just passing by. They had no idea. And there she was, sipping her drink and trying to prepare the base as painlessly as possible. Truthfully, Caleb O'Neill wasn't the first person she had expected to discuss it with on any level, but Ravena was a resourceful witch. She used the opportunity when she saw one, and in a way that was not always ideal, it worked.

"You ask an awful lot of questions, young man," she smirked. "That's good. I can work with that."