Engagement Ring Discussion; Is Tradition Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO COME BACK.

We have candy.

And BBQ.
But it's still storming >:C

Though I think it's starting to clea~

Nope, just lightning striking some brush and causing a fire.

I'll be posting my own personal thoughts on the traditional idea of marriage soon. Probably after I'm done with some errands.

So, if I'm reading the last several pages correctly:

People want nice things.

So, if I'm reading the last several pages correctly:

People want nice things.
People in general, maybe. Us curmudgeons of Iwaku apparently hate nice things. :D

Nice things are for squares.
Haven't you been paying attention? They're engagement rings, not engagement squares.

Clearly they're round.

I personally wouldn't need a big, expensive rock on my finger. However, I believe that some traditions are healthy and bring us all a little bit closer together so we can understand each other better.

No matter how a tradition may have started, how we use it now is what's most important. I don't think that a fiancée or fiancé should EXPECT an expensive ring for their engagement. That seems really shallow. But there is nothing wrong with giving the person you're proposing to something that physically symbolises that promise you're making. That's how we use the tradition now; here's this ring, which is a visual reminder that I'm going to marry you.

Marriage, for me, is a very big step in one's life and a very important promise. So giving a ring, no matter the cost, seems like a worthwhile thing.

Are big expensive rings overrated? I would say yes. But the tradition at its core is something I would like to see continue, well, forever. :)

On the topic of geeky engagement rings, one that looks like the Halo installations from the games would actually be pretty subtle and awesome.

Reactions: LunaValentine
On the topic of geeky engagement rings, one that looks like the Halo installations from the games would actually be pretty subtle and awesome.
That'd be pretty ballin'. Shame you couldn't appreciate it unless they took it off. :(

Saw a friend who got a custom ring from the Gears of War logo. It was basically a small gear made of tungsten machined into shape. Pretty neat since it fit perfectly in the grooves between his fingers.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Oh man, geeky engagement rings are my jam. I'd love something that looks like the Zora's Sapphire because I'm a Zelda fangirl.

mg_6018_by_mooredesign13-d797zq9.jpg

My dad never got my mom an engagement ring, so one year for Christmas, after like 10+ years of marriage, he got her this really expensive ring. She threw a fit about how much he spent, returned it, and bought herself a nice computer. (Don't have the brain power to read this thread right now, but just thought I'd share that little anecdote.)

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Noctis the Devious
Status
Not open for further replies.