Engagement Ring Discussion; Is Tradition Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see and understand the logical arguments for why diamond engagement rings are a constructed idea by diamond companies.

Didn't change the fact that I wanted one and got one, though.

>__>
And that's fine! You should absolutely go for what you really want.

I know, lol. But it was weird that I knew and understood the history of why diamond rings are a thing, and yet I still wanted one. But I have one, and I love mine, so... dgaf xD

I know, lol. But it was weird that I knew and understood the history of why diamond rings are a thing, and yet I still wanted one. But I have one, and I love mine, so... dgaf xD
You're living proof that advertising and marketing work and are very effective, that's all. :D

Reactions: Peter Feels
You know, just because you don't understand why girls like jewelry, doesn't mean they've been manipulated by BF Skinner's descendants ...

You know, just because you don't understand why girls like jewelry, doesn't mean they've been manipulated by BF Skinner's descendants ...
Jewelry is one thing, paying big bucks for a relatively common stone that is ridiculously overpriced due to extremely shady supply control and deceptive marketing is another. Nobody has said anything about having a problem with women liking jewelry, just the extremely high prices, especially as it concerns diamonds. This isn't at all an attack on women, and in reality men are just as susceptible to the manipulative business and marketing practices around diamonds (see ads aimed at men about how diamonds show a woman that you care because "diamonds are forever"), so rein in the social justice horse there pal. :P

This isn't at all an attack on women, and in reality men are just as susceptible to the manipulative business and marketing practices

:ferret:

You can spend big bucks on a lab grown diamond which has no affiliation with blood diamond cartels. Don't use sjw speak to deflect your inability to understand other people's utility functions.

You can spend big bucks on a lab grown diamond which has no affiliation with blood diamond cartels. Don't use sjw speak to deflect your inability to understand other people's utility functions.

I don't think blood diamonds is what he was referring to.

My point is, outside of essentials to which you could assign infinite monetary value, the worth of anything else is entirely subjective. And if diamonds weren't the thing you could spend lots of money on, there would be something else. There will always be some sort of symbolic object [in (capitalist pig) courtship] whose value is hotly contested. Just because the value is created by psychological manipulation (or maybe people really like shiny, well crafted things, and the supply chain of gemstones makes them expensive ..) doesn't mean it is objectively a waste of money.

I see "I want you to compromise with me", instead of "I'm open to compromising with you."

It's the price fixing (and yes, the blood diamond thing, though they only make up ~25% of the diamonds on the market) nonsense that I object to, not diamonds themselves. If synthetic diamonds are cheaper, then sure, I'd have less issue with them. I still find it a waste to spend even hundreds of dollars on anything that's just for looks, but that's just part of my own preferences.

Also, I used the sjw speak because you came in with silly nonsense trying to brush off the general dislike for the diamond industry. I tend to respond to nonsense with nonsense. Reciprocation is fun.

Am I the only female in this thread that sees absolutely nothing of importance about a diamond? You're essentially wearing a piece of sparkly, expensive glass on your finger. (That's my perspective anyway.) There is nothing truly significant about them other than their marriage lasted, at the most, five years. It symbolizes nothing other than the fact a man is willing to waste a few grand, that could be used more constructively, on a piece of jewelry.

If I wanted something materialistic to be a symbol of my relationship, I want it to be something that will matter in the future. A house, land, something to build a home on. There's no greater symbol of promising that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone than sharing a home together, building one, or finding one that you both can envision spending your life in. Why get something that is only going to benefit the woman in the relationship? Why not get something that will be meaningful to both of you? I have a wedding ring, and I never wear it. I hate diamonds. I hate jewelry in general. It feels more like a shackle than a symbol, but that's my opinion.

It's the price fixing (and yes, the blood diamond thing, though they only make up ~25% of the diamonds on the market) nonsense that I object to, not diamonds themselves.
You could spend oodles of money on 'fair' jewelry. What's your objection then .. or do you simply object to anything with a large gross margin?
I still find it a waste to spend even hundreds of dollars on anything that's just for looks, but that's just part of my own preferences.
Oh okay, your whole stance makes sense now, Herr Ubermensch-Utilitarian.

We don't all want to be the prettiest girl at the fair, @unanun. Nor do we all have girlfriends who want that either. I would agree that if your spouse wanted a fancy ring, then buy it if you can, why not? Or come to a reasonable compromise, even. But rings aren't for everyone and you have to accept that. I'm sorry you've only been able to snag materialistic partners.

Your value function can exist on its own merits without being disparaging ('I'm sorry [...] materialistic', 'advertising [...] effective', 'waste of money', 'overrated', etc) on another person's value function.

Purpose to me with a box of homemade chocolates and I'll love you for however long you want me too =^^=

My mom recently got engaged but because she things diamonds are ugly, and her man wanted to do something nice for her and make the occasion special, he got her a black diamond in the shape of a rose. Something cheap but pretty <3 She keeps it on a chain so she doesn't lose it.

Me? I don't believe in marriage in general. If I say we're together, that's it, we're together. I don't need a facebook status, ring, or certificate to prove otherwise. If my man thinks we do, then I'll humor him if only to make him happy.

Purpose to me with a box of homemade chocolates and I'll love you for however long you want me too =^^=

My mom recently got engaged but because she things diamonds are ugly, and her man wanted to do something nice for her and make the occasion special, he got her a black diamond in the shape of a rose. Something cheap but pretty <3 She keeps it on a chain so she doesn't lose it.

Me? I don't believe in marriage in general. If I say we're together, that's it, we're together. I don't need a facebook status, ring, or certificate to prove otherwise. If my man thinks we do, then I'll humor him if only to make him happy.
Facebook statuses are totally the most legitimate sign of commitment, dontchaknow.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Why is Un talking like a programmer. What's with these variables. Do I need to sit down and rehash code. But mommy, It's summer, i don't wanna code! ;_;

• Love
Reactions: Drakel and Windsong
Why is Un talking like a programmer. What's with these variables. Do I need to sit down and rehash code. But mommy, It's summer, i don't wanna code! ;_;
Because using an economics term like "value function" makes you sound more scholarly and special than using plain English to say "people place different levels of value on things for different reasons." :P

It's also more compact. You, however, have not answer my question about whether you dislike of anything with a high markup, or it just happens to be jewelry, which carries a value proposition you don't seem capable of understanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.