Empire of Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So you did," Garis said, "but that doesn't mean your plan will work."

"Why not?"

"Not everyone hates the Solarians as much as you. Some people like the stability."

Therion snorted. "Constant fear of the priesthood and the military doesn't sound very stable to me."

"Therion, try to be rational," Garis pleaded. "There are a lot of people who have benefited from the occupation. If all the people needed was one attack to rise up, they'd have done it by now. You can't count on the masses to follow you."

"That's what the Solarians did," Xalia pointed out. She hardly remembered the before time, but she'd heard plenty about it from the adults she had been enslaved with.

"Things weren't unstable, but the Solarians attacked and claimed religious righteousness, and the masses followed. Who are you to say it wouldn't work again?"

"Thank you," Therion said, glancing at Xalia.

"Because the Solarians already had everything in order. They came in with a military and a social structure and just put everything in place. What do you have? Vague ideas about what the world was like before?" Garis asked.

"People who the Solarians have taught how to run a kingdom. People who remember what things were like before," Therion replied. "Do you really think I'd come into this fight unprepared?"

Garis sighed, shaking his head. "I worry about you, boy."

Without anything else to contribute for the moment, Xalia stayed silent. How odd, she reflected- she felt passionate about this. Of course she'd always hated the religion, but she felt more passionate about this cause than she had in years.

"And you," Garis said, turning his attention to Xalia. "How did he talk you into this?"

"He already had plans when he came to me," Xalia explained. "It wasn't exactly something that took much pushing to convince me on." The logistics, perhaps, but the cause, the desire? Those were always there, even if dormant.

Garis grunted, shaking his head in exasperation. "You certainly fit each other."

"Garis, enough complaining. I need a place for Xalia to stay, somewhere secure," Therion said.

The witch said nothing; Therion had moved them on in the conversation, but there was little for her to do but wait for Garis to answer on where she would be able to stay.

((Er, I've been struggling to keep the plot going, is there anything Xalia can contribute to this situation?))

((At the moment, not a whole lot, since she'd just sort of being told where to hide until they're all ready to move. However, since I'm assuming that she'll be staying in Garius' inn while Therion is off doing what he needs to, there could be some conversation between Xalia and Garius there. But, for now, unfortunately, there isn't much for Xalia to exactly be responding to.))

((I mean, in general. Xalia's been very quiet and it's difficult trying to play the entire plot. Do you have any plans for the character or the story that we can work towards?))

Last edited by a moderator:
((It has been difficult, I agree. There really hasn't been a whole lot to respond to. In my initial plot, working towards the demon (I think I mentioned it earlier in the RP?) and freeing it. For the moment, though, perhaps we could just work towards the attack, where my character can take a much more active role.))

((Yeah, I think I remember the demon. Maybe we can have the attack, and then afterwards the rebellion is in control of the city but the Solarians are about to lay siege, so they go for the demon as a way to keep them out?))

Garis and Therion spoke a little further about accommodations, but it was clear that Garis was resigned to going along with the younger man's plan, at least for now. Finally, the innkeeper turned to Xalia.

"I can put you in one of the spare rooms on the first floor, you'll be living near my family and employees, not the guests. Does that sound all right?"

((Sounds like a good plan.))

The witch nodded. The more secluded, the better, she supposed, and she was more than content to stay in the lodgings until Therion was ready to start the attack. Once she was shown the room, she did exactly that, only coming out for occasional food and waiting almost eagerly for Therion to return and give the signal for their siege.

Therion took the opportunity to go check in, make sure people knew where he was and what he wanted them to think he was doing. It wasn't difficult; he often spent time alone. Quietly, he fed his networks the news that he had found someone who could help them, and eventually, he got what he was looking for. He returned to the inn and asked to see Xalia.

Someone had been sent to find Xalia- unsurprisingly, in her room- when Therion returned, and led her to him. She offered no greeting. "I take it things are ready, then?" Eager, and with little to do, she'd been counting the days until the planned attack. Assuming nothing had changed while Therion was preparing, it was time to act.

"As ready as they will ever be," Therion said. "I've made contact with an acolyte who works in the temple itself. His access is limited, but he knows where all of their fuel is kept. With your powers that should be all we need."

The witch's nostrils flared. "You're talking to someone who's part of the religion?" she hissed. That was too big a risk, it had to be. It was true that with access to the fuel that the Solarians used for their fire, Xalia could wreak all sorts of havoc- but she would be no help if it was a trap. "That's dangerous, Therion. Has he told you where the fuel is, at least?"

"Technically, I work for the Solarians," Therion replied. "Many people here do, and not willingly. Here, he's shown me where," he said, drawing out the old blueprint he'd used when asking Xalia about her experience with the towers back at her hovel. He pointed out a cellar space, in which had been drawn several barrels. "He's going to use his access to get to them before the main attack."

After this much, Xalia only grimaced at the idea of Therion, and so many others, working for the Solarians. Fighting about it wouldn't do any good, so instead, she scowled at the blueprints and nodded. "I could get to it beforehand. Destroy it. Or at least render it inert..." Her voice trailed as she looked at the blue prints. No windows in the cellar, but- she looked up at Therion. "Or my dolls. Even if they were found, they can't be harmed. And that leaves your friend free to do whatever else is needed. When do we act?"

Status
Not open for further replies.