Emotions and Words to Express Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElBell

As of recent, I've noticed a trend of characters reacting to situations with the same responses over and over, post after post. Sure, a little pink in the cheeks or shouting can be very fitting for some scenes, but does your character really need to scream like a wild animal every time they get hurt, or cry like an infant at everything they're scared by? What you chose to do is all very situation-based and relies on context, but if you're finding yourself typing the same reactions and reaction words one too many times, this list of alternatives may be helpful!

For the sake of convenience in both typing this and reading this, all the reactions are sorted alphabetically to match the emotion or emotions they would fit with, and each list contains 25 reactions. Also note I tried to avoid all the 'standard' words people use, so words you right away think of for an emotion are not on this list for a reason.

✗Anger/Hatred✗
Attacked
Bellowed
Cried
Darkened
Exasperated
Exploded
Filled
Flamed
Fought
Frowned
Glared
Glowed
Groaned
Hissed
Huffed
Reddened
Scowled
Screamed
Seethed
Shook
Snapped
Sobbed
Squirmed
Whined
Yelled

✘Disgust/Distaste✘
Averted
Avoided
Complained
Corrected
Coughed
Cried out
Cringed
Cursed
Dirtied
Displeased
Groaned
Huffed
Irritated
Loathed
Muttered
Put off
Repulsed
Rolled their eyes
Scowled
Screamed
Shocked
Shuttered
Sighed
Snapped
Sneered

◀︎Embarrassment/Humiliation►
Aggressive
Argued
Chuckled
Covered their face
Cried
Defensive
Flushed
Froze
Exasperated
Groaned
Hid
Huffed
Laughed
Mumbled
Panicked
Played with their hair
Protested
Ran
Shook
Shook their head
Shouted
Sighed
Upset
Whimpered
Whined

✸Fear/Panic✸
Battled
Consumed
Cowered
Cried
Defeated
Escaped
Felt trapped
Flailed
Froze
Gasped
Hesitated
Hid
Hopeless
Moaned
Panicked
Paused
Ran
Screamed
Screeched
Shaken
Shook
Shuddered
Stumbled
Wailed
Whimpered

✥Guilt/Shame✥
Admitted
Caught
Consumed
Cried
Denied
Dwelled
Eaten
Faked
Filled
Fought
Frantically
Froze
Grew nervous
Lied
Lingered
Overcome
Owned up
Panicked
Quieted
Rambled
Snapped
Squirmed
Trapped
Turned away
Worried

❀Joy/Happiness❀
Bounced
Cackled
Celebrated
Chuckled
Clapped
Cried
Danced
Exclaimed
Eyes widened
Gasped
Glowed
Grinned
Guffawed
Jumped
Laughed
Nodded
Pleased
Purred
Rejoiced
Screamed
Sighed
Squealed
Tearing up

❤︎Love/Affection❤︎
Bit their lip
Blinked
Blushed
Daydreamed
Fantasized
Flirted
Gasped
Giggled
Hugged
Hummed
Kissed
Laughed
Leaned on
Looked away
Nodded
Pecked
Reddened
Shied away
Sighed
Smiled
Snuggled
Stuttered
Trusted
Winked
Wished

❦Lust/Pleasure/Desire❦
Begged
Bit their lip
Curled up
Demanded
Eyes rolled back
Fantasized
Flaunted
Flirted
Groaned
Growled
Moaned
Panted
Pleaded
Purred
Scratched
Screamed
Sighed
Squirmed
Stripped
Suggested
Teased
Threw their head back
Whimpered
Whined
Winked

✕Pain/Discomfort✕
Ached
Agonized
Arched their back
Blurred
Cried out
Cringed
Dizzied
Enraged
Fainted
Fired up
Gasped
Grimaced
Howled
Huffed
Moaned
Panted
Slowed
Squirmed
Thrashed
Throbbed
Tormented
Twitched
Weakened
Whimpered
Yelped

⊗Sadness/Loss⊗
Agonized
Blanked
Collapsed
Cried
Defeated
Denied
Depressed
Disappeared
Disbelief
Emptied
Eyes got wet
Gave up
Hid
Hopeless
Rampaged
Refused
Screamed
Screeched
Shook
Shut down
Sobbed
Sulked
Wailed
Whimpered
Whined

⊱Guilt/Shame⊰
Admitted
Caught
Consumed
Cried
Denied
Dwelled
Eaten
Faked
Filled
Fought
Frantically
Froze
Grew nervous
Lied
Lingered
Overcome
Owned up
Panicked
Quieted
Rambled
Snapped
Squirmed
Trapped
Turned away
Worried

⭐︎Shock/Surprise⭐
Amazed
Blanked
Covered their mouth
Disbelief
Dumbfounded
Exclaimed
Eyes widened
Fainted
Gaped
Grew upset
Grinned
Hummed
Hyperventilated
Impressed
Laughed
Laughed
Overwhelmed
Ran
Shouted
Sobbed
Stopped
Stumbled
Stuttered
Turned to stone
Whistled

Last edited by a moderator:
Note also that context matters.

"She cried." Versus "she cried quietly, wrapping her arms around her brother and breathing softly as she welcomed him home." Versus "she cried hard and loud, tears streaming down her cheeks and ruining her makeup."

The word "cried" is the same in all three, but the context in which it is used changes certain factors, such as volume and intensity.

Also, certain words don't quite fit right in the emotion categories. One can mumble out of annoyance, one can mumble secretively, one can mumble suggestively--it doesn't necessarily connote embarrassment.

Aside from that, fantastic list of alternate word choices. Bookmarking for later.

Reactions: Astaroth
Note also that context matters.
"She cried." Versus "she cried quietly, wrapping her arms around her brother and breathing softly as she welcomed him home." Versus "she cried hard and loud, tears streaming down her cheeks and ruining her makeup."
The word "cried" is the same in all three, but the context in which it is used changes certain factors, such as volume and intensity.
Also, certain words don't quite fit right in the emotion categories. One can mumble out of annoyance, one can mumble secretively, one can mumble suggestively--it doesn't necessarily connote embarrassment.
Aside from that, fantastic list of alternate word choices. Bookmarking for later.
I'm aware of all of this, hence why some words appear multiple times and whatnot (also, I mention in my first paragraph that what you use is up to you. So I did note how context is important ^.^). I could've gone over hundreds of words for this and all the context options and everything, but this is just a start for people to extend beyond their own person 5 words or so. In the case of mumbled, I know it denotes a lot, so it should be in a few lists. I tried to veer away from 'standard' reactions, so while someone may often mumble in annoyance, I probably left it out to add in another less commonly used word~

Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for some time! :D

Reactions: ElBell
For more visual representations, emotion wheels and Robert Plutchik's diagram of emotions are things I was introduced to in a different context, but can also be useful guidelines for figuring out how a character feels more exactly to help provide more detailed or subtle reactions. They're definitely not perfect, but are good as a sort of emotional estimate.

Reactions: Astaroth
tumblr_ly0yusdjE11rnufsxo1_500.gif

Don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE!

I think creating context and appropriate atmosphere is equally important as what emotional descriptor(s) you use.

You've got a pretty good thesaurus up there, although I'm not sure how 'filled' or 'glowed' would describe anger/hatred (unless you meant 'glowered'?)

I can't think of anything to add at the moment, but I think this list might benefit from more organization. You've got a mix of 'body language cues', 'words to say instead of said', 'words to say instead of walked' and general thesaurus results up there, and it's cool to have those resources together in the same place, but it might be easier to use if they were sorted within categories

tumblr_ly0yusdjE11rnufsxo1_500.gif

Don't underestimate the importance of BODY LANGUAGE!

I think creating context and appropriate atmosphere is equally important as what emotional descriptor(s) you use.

You've got a pretty good thesaurus up there, although I'm not sure how 'filled' or 'glowed' would describe anger/hatred (unless you meant 'glowered'?)

I can't think of anything to add at the moment, but I think this list might benefit from more organization. You've got a mix of 'body language cues', 'words to say instead of said', 'words to say instead of walked' and general thesaurus results up there, and it's cool to have those resources together in the same place, but it might be easier to use if they were sorted within categories
Of course body language is huge! But we already have a workshop on that, don't we? I didn't want to copy it since I'm sure I saw it, though I do think using these two resources together would be much better than one or the other.

Categories? Like what? I personally don't have the time to do much more to this, but I mean if you have ideas I don't mind at least listening to them.

Of course body language is huge! But we already have a workshop on that, don't we? I didn't want to copy it since I'm sure I saw it, though I do think using these two resources together would be much better than one or the other.

Categories? Like what? I personally don't have the time to do much more to this, but I mean if you have ideas I don't mind at least listening to them.
Well, like I said, I love that these resources are all gathered together, but it's a bit confusing/difficult to read when you've got actions a character could perform, descriptors for the atmosphere, descriptors for speech, descriptors for physical feelings, and more all crammed together without context/'how you would use it' for each item. Emotions are present in almost everything, and there are so many ways to describe them like what a character says, what they think about, how they say it, at what volume, what they do, what happens to their body internally and externally, the atmosphere/mood of the scene, etc. because there are so many choices beyond simple adjectives, it helps to organize them.

It might be helpful if there were some subcategories describing the context you would use the items in. Especially because, as has been pointed out, some words can describe many different feelings, and it may not be immediately apparent without context, how a word fits the emotion it's listed under.

as an example:

Anger/Hatred

Sounds
(words you could use to describe the sound or tone of a persons speech or other sounds (screams, etc).)
Attacked
Bellowed
Cried
Exploded
Flamed
Fought
Groaned
Growled
Hissed
Huffed
Screamed
Seethed
Snapped
Sobbed
Whined
Yelled

Actions/visuals (things a character might do, or that people can see.)
Clenched fists
Darkened
Frowned
Glared
Glowered
Ground teeth
Lowered eyebrows
Reddened
Scowled

Shook
Squirmed
Tight jaw

Feelings (General descriptors for the emotion or mood.)
Angry
Dark
Exasperated
Frustrated
Grumpy
Hateful
Loathing
Mean
Seething
Spiteful

(Added a bunch)​

Last edited:
Well, like I said, I love that these resources are all gathered together, but it's a bit confusing/difficult to read when you've got actions a character could perform, descriptors for the atmosphere, descriptors for speech, descriptors for physical feelings, and more all crammed together without context/'how you would use it' for each item. Emotions are present in almost everything, and there are so many ways to describe them like what a character says, what they think about, how they say it, at what volume, what they do, what happens to their body internally and externally, the atmosphere/mood of the scene, etc. because there are so many choices beyond simple adjectives, it helps to organize them.

It might be helpful if there were some subcategories describing the context you would use the items in. Especially because, as has been pointed out, some words can describe many different feelings, and it may not be immediately apparent without context, how a word fits the emotion it's listed under.

as an example:

Anger/Hatred

Sounds
(words you could use to describe the sound or tone of a persons speech or other sounds (screams, etc).)
Attacked
Bellowed
Cried
Exploded
Flamed
Fought
Groaned
Growled
Hissed
Huffed
Screamed
Seethed
Snapped
Sobbed
Whined
Yelled

Actions/visuals (things a character might do, or that people can see.)
Clenched fists
Darkened
Frowned
Glared
Glowered
Ground teeth
Lowered eyebrows
Reddened
Scowled

Shook
Squirmed
Tight jaw

Feelings (General descriptors for the emotion or mood.)
Angry
Dark
Exasperated
Frustrated
Grumpy
Hateful
Loathing
Mean
Seething
Spiteful

(Added a bunch)​
That's a great idea, but I just don't have time >.< already this took me almost a week to compile. But if you or anyone else likes, go ahead and take over to fix it. I guess I'm just not good enough to make these just yet~

That's a great idea, but I just don't have time >.< already this took me almost a week to compile. But if you or anyone else likes, go ahead and take over to fix it. I guess I'm just not good enough to make these just yet~
Oh don't be so down on yourself! It's great, and almost nothing is perfect on the first go. You should see the edit log on my workshops!

I can help with it, if you like the idea.

Oh don't be so down on yourself! It's great, and almost nothing is perfect on the first go. You should see the edit log on my workshops!

I can help with it, if you like the idea.
I really do, and I'd love some help if you're willing to give it! Maybe start up a PM or something of the sort?

Status
Not open for further replies.