Status
Not open for further replies.
Phynex smiled at the huntress in gratitude, scoffing down the sandwich with relish, savouring the meat and the juices it was covered in. He liked the fact that it was bigger than the ones she had given him earlier that day, and that the meat was freshly made. He chewed on the sandwich slowly, watching the huntress order something else and a small, innocent looking girl appear from a set of closed doors. Curiously, he looked at her while taking tiny bites of the bread he held delicately in his giant, burning claws. She looked so small and tiny, it was abnormal. If he could, he could crush her with his hands, and she looked so fragile - even more than Selene. Phynex saw that she had noticed his hulking figure, and her eyes were filled with nervousness and curiosity. He, in turn, was curious and nervous about her. Did children know not to approach demons? Or did they already know how to attack them?

He watched as the little girl wandered up to their table, her eyes glistening and filled to the brim with questions about the both of them. Phynex chuckled at the statement, snow fairies...he'd seen a few. They were very rare, and were often captured to be living trophies, some for personal uses as well. It was disgusting how those demons could view their own kind like that. Glancing at Selene, they did look very similar, pale skin and long white hair with strange coloured eyes. But their aura was like always pure white with dashes of green, very different from the blue and purple hued aura of Selene. Phynex blinked at the girl and pointed at himself, "A dragon?" he repeated, he assumed she didn't know that he was a demon and automatically saw him as a dragon - which could be excused at first glance. He smiled softly at her, she was so cute and innocent, even though she was raised up around hunters, exposed to the ways of hunting demons. She jumped and moved about so much, filled with energy of the youngsters.

The fire demon murmured his thanks to the man by the grill before finishing off the rest of the sandwiches in his hands, taking his time admiring the art of cooking and the grill, how the meat cooked and looked so tasty. The fragrant scent of the beef lingered in the air, surrounding him like a scarf and making the demon feel like he was in heaven.

"Oh yes, they live in the forests, where everything changes. They like to fool you with illusions and make you walk into plants that eat demons," he blabbered on. He'd learnt many things during his travels, and learnt how to distinguish fox illusions and reality. "I spent of my years traveling in the underworld. I've seen many kinds of demons, even the snow fairies the little girl mentioned. I have been at the steps of the demon lord himself, been at the edge of Tartarus; the prison of the ancient ones, been at the swamps and forests and the burning battlefields that the generals created. I've even had the privilege to see rare demons who have true names so long and complicated that it is rare for humans to be able to summon them," he exclaimed.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
"You do look similar to one," Selene murmured, glancing at Phynex. Sans the eyes, that is. She had seen him smile at the little girl, soft and kind and seemingly finding the girl's young innocence refreshing. The huntress wondered for a moment if she would see that look more in the future. She wouldn't mind seeing it, at least. It made the supposedly scary demon look kinder, in her opinion, than even the humans who lived in Nora day to day. Humans could be cruel too, as Phynex would find out in the following weeks. "This is a hunters' district. Children here aren't as scared of demons as civilian children, though they have been taught to be careful." That, and the little girl seemed to still be innocent to what demons could do - stories can only do so much by way of teaching.

Her eyes sparked in interest as she heard his answer. "You've traveled a lot," she wanted to hear more. Selene knew that fox demons liked fooling people with illusions, she had read about it and there were even some that caused trouble in Nora that she encountered. It was always a little strange to know that some demons had to fight against their very same kind because they were on opposing sides, one with the hunters. "Snow fairies?" Yes, Phynex was proving more and more interesting... Traveling to Tartarus, seeing that famed prison? Then the steps of the demon lord... Selene had always wondered what the ruling demons thought of the human world, because they certainly didn't seem to go up here. The demons who were overrunning Nora seemed to be lower-to-middle tier, with a few upper tier, but no nobility.

"I'd like to hear more about those adventures," Selene remarked, trying not to sound too eager or interested. She had always liked learning new things. This may not be from a book, but it could be even better - if Phynex had really encountered all sorts of creatures, he would know a lot about them. On her work, it would be the weaknesses that she should be curious about. But she also liked hearing all sorts of lore and tales. They always had some grain of truth in them, and while they may not teach you how to easily kill or maim a demon, it let her have some insight into how the demons themselves interacted among themselves. It wasn't always about how the demons saw humans, after all.

"Ellie isn't going to be a hunter," the man had returned, setting down another sandwich before her. He smiled at her and Phynex, seeming less wary around the demon. He must have seen Phynex's smile at the little girl and saw something in it that lessened his worries. "And that, young miss, you are going to eat. You look a little too pale to me." Selene stared at the large sandwich that was on the plate, wondering how she was going to finish even half of it. "I can take half," she murmured, looking to Phynex. "You get the rest." The little girl soon came back, almost skipping on her feet though the tall glass of fruit shake in her hand didn't even spill over. She smiled at Selene, and surprisingly Phynex, as she set down the glass on their table. "Choco banana is my favorite too," she chimed in, before adding, "I even added some chocolate chips on top." She looked to Phynex, twin braids swinging as she turned her head. "And did you eat the first sandwich Daddy made? Those are always huge and no one can finish them so fast!"

• Love
Reactions: Mu
"True," he murmured, chuckling softly. To a girl's eyes, especially someone who didn't know much about demons, would see him as a dragon. His father was a dragon, a giant one, that looked similar to him except he was covered in armour, hiding the fiery interior underneath. He was a huge monster, a general that loomed over the battlefield and watched over it with his eagle eyes, not everyone could dent his armour. His wings could overshadow the field, his fire was so powerful it could burn mountains down the the ground. His father was one of the most feared generals, and for good reason. It often surprised him that he could be a loving husband and father, very protective of his wife and his son. His mother had learnt to live with his father, despite being kidnapped by him, seeing how he could protect her from...virtually anything. At least, that was what they thought.

He nodded, "Most of my life I have been travelling," he noticed the spark of interest in her violet eyes. "I have seen the snow fairies, they are very rare in live in the cold regions. But I haven't been to the colder regions myself, snow fairies are very popular as pets for the aristocrats. I have seen them being chained and leashed by the richer, filthy demons and dragged around the cities, treating them like exotic pets," he said, an angry tone to his voice, They were rumored to be beautiful, pale skin, long white hair, slender bodies and had charming personalities, they weren't deceitful like fox demons, but helped lost travellers in the cold regions and lead them safe grounds. But the ones he had seen in the city were almost always clothless, their bodies scratched and bruised and dirtied. You could tell some were used in disgusting ways, rape, labour, breeding...demons liked variety - especially when one's child was half of a rare demon.

Shoving aside the thoughts of the snow fairies, he smiled at Selene. She looked very similar to a snow fairy, hopefully her future wouldn't be as grim as theirs. "I'm sure I can tell you about my adventures," Phynex said. "I'm sure you want to learn about weaknesses, in case they roam this human world, being the huntress you are." If it would benefit her, he didn't see why he shouldn't tell her a few things. What was the point of going on an adventure and seeing many things when you couldn't tell others about it.

Phynex eyed the second sandwich, the bread crispy and the meat glistening in between the buns. He nodded at the man's suggestions, giving Selene a look and then at the sandwich in front of her. She did need to eat something, she hadn't eaten anything since the smaller beef sandwich this morning. At her statement, he sighed. At least she was going to be eating something. He waited for the man to cut the sandwich in half, so they could share it. The young girl had returned, skipping towards them with a glass of colourful liquid in her hand. Surprised that she smiled at him, the fire demon returned the smile, watching her place the rather tall glass in front of the huntress. Laughing softly, he nodded at the girl, "Yes, I did." He looked thoughtful for a second, "I have a big appetite," Phynex said, shrugging.

• Love
Phynex had an interesting opinion of the aristocratic demons, to say the least. Selene wondered what he would think of Kasimir if he ever met him, since the redhaired demon had aristocratic roots. The information about the snow fairies was... Not all that surprising, but not something that she would have expected either. From the way demons spoke of themselves towards the humans, they made themselves sound like they were on a whole new level of superior and civilized. But isn't that what humans think towards demons too? The idea that being kept as a pet, whatever that meant, was a little degrading. Selene didn't know what to feel about being linked with a certain type of demon in appearance, but she had always had an odd coloring among humans. And the girl had spoken of them in a purely innocent tone... She wondered what the girl would feel if those very snow fairies she had dreamed about were actually not treated like princesses in their own worlds.

"Really? You are big, Mister Dragon, so I guess you get really hungry," the girl said with a giggle. "Daddy has a hard time making us finish our food, but he's really good at cooking." The father laughed slightly, shaking his head. All in all, they looked like a picture of a happy family, even if they lived in the hunters' district among people who fought and killed demons for a living.

Selene accepted her half of the sandwich as the man handed it to her, only nibbling at the edge and taking a small bite. Her gaze was thoughtful, but she paused and flushed a little when she saw the smile Phynex directed towards her. She didn't think she had been obvious about her interest, having tried to pass it off as a casual remark or offer to talk. "Yes, I would very much like that," she mumbled afterwards, looking down and taking a sip from the straw. The sweet taste of the banana with chocolate - the girl really did add chocolate chips - made her perk up slightly, but overall Selene merely nodded to the younger girl, who seemed to be watching her expectantly. "It's very good, thank you," she spoke softly, and the girl seemed to brighten even more.

"You should come here more often! I create a lot of new flavors and only Daddy and my sisters have tried them," the girl smiled, before she was called over by her father. Chuckling, the father glanced towards her and Phynex's direction and gently told his daughter, "Go back inside, Ellie. I think Lily wouldn't want to be left alone for too long," the girl gasped in realization, and with a wave to the huntress and the demon, rushed back inside.

"I don't want her to grow up," the father sighed afterwards, looking after his child's direction with fondness. "Even if she speaks about fairy tales all her life, I don't want her to know the truth behind the tales," he finished sadly, smiling at Phynex and Selene. "I heard that bit about the snow fairies, you know." He set the last sandwich before Phynex and went back to his work, seeing as a new customer had seated themselves again.

After that, Selene was quiet for some time, taking small bites out of the food and then drinking her fruitshake. "You have an interesting opinion of your aristocrats," she commented quietly to Phynex, looking at him. "You hate them." From his voice and the anger in it when he spoke of how they treated snow fairies earlier, Selene could tell he was disgusted with his own kind's vices. He really was a strange demon.

• Love
Phynex puffed out his chest, feeling proud of his size and the amount of food he could eat. Seeing the father cooking food in the corner, grilling meats and flipping the bread and the little girl who looked so happy with her rosy red cheeks made them look like a very happy family, and that made Phynex happy too. It almost reminded him of his own family, how his father would lie outside, his wife snoozing while resting her head against his tough armour while Phynex played in the puddles of lava and got used to the heat of the liquid. At the time he was so small, the size of a boulder, compared to his size now. He had built a resistance to fire, but his abilities had not yet been developed. The only times he could produce fire was when he sneezed, shooting out puffs of smoke and bursts of fire from his nostrils, even knocking his body back. Phynex's father's sneezes were the worst, it was almost like a roar followed by a flamethrower that would have burnt down their home if it was flammable.

He took his half of the sandwich and eagerly took a big bite out of it, chewing at the delicious, still hot beef while watching Selene nibble on hers. The fire demon chewed quickly and swallowed before taking another mouthful, making sure to get all of the ingredients - some of the juicy beef, some of the greens and some of the bread - creating a beautiful concoction of flavours in his mouth. Every bite was a mouthful of indescribable flavour for the fire demon, who was enjoying this very much. "If you ever want to know anything about a certain type of demon, you can come and ask me." Phynex smiled at her. Of course, there were going to be demons he didn't know himself, he would have to study about them when he had the spare time.

The innocence of the girl made him feel so happy, how she wanted them to come back to try more of her drinks. Her tone was filled to the brim with uncontained energy and excitement like a child would, and it reminded him of himself was he was a newborn. Always so curious about anything and everything, touching this and touching that and asking all sorts of silly questions. He was a little sad to see the girl disappear behind the doors again.

The fire demon could see the love for the daughter in the man's eyes, who looked into the direction of the double doors. "Someone as young as she will believe in fairy tales," he murmured. If she knew the stark truth of those fairy tales, what would she say? She made the snow fairies sound like they were treated like royalty, but the painful reality would break her heart.

He continued eating from his half of the sandwich in silence, watching the man move about taking orders from new customers - some who glanced at the two of them - and making their meals. "I don't hate all of them. I know a few aristocrats who are very kind, even some who are pro-human or ask for equality. But there are many of them who do suspicious and unethical things." the demon began, "Many aristocrats want children who have the blood of rare demons in them, and most of them will do whatever it takes to get that, even if it means chaining that demon up in the dungeons and use it against its will."

• Love
"It would seem that demons and humans aren't all that different, in mind," Selene spoke quietly after Phynex had explained his stance on the aristocrat demons. "Humans don't like to directly acknowledge a problem if they think others will do it for them. And from the history books, the aristocrats of this world could be... Volatile," she shared her knowledge about the world before the demons had come. "My family is considered a noble family and I know the value of rare blood." It was common knowledge that Phynex would learn about her sooner or later even if she didn't tell him herself.

It was in the way people looked at her and expected a lot of things, expected her to save them or be a good hunter for them at the same time they resented her ability. "That said, my father isn't willing to marry me off to anyone, which I am grateful for," she remarked. She wasn't too oblivious about what the value she would have as a bride would be. If anything, her father said, any male who would ask for her hand would marry into the Averill name, and not vice versa. And he set high standards.

... Well, that was the extent of what she understood about family and breeding, anyway. Nobody actually told her about what breeding actually is aside from the knowledge she gleaned from her books and from overhearing people, and that wasn't always reliable. "And chaining someone up is..." She shook her head, not saying anything. Both of them knew that saying despicable or deplorable wouldn't change the way of things in the underworld. She would focus on the problems that were closer, like the demons that could be hunted here in Nora. And protecting the potential Jasper had. She wanted to see his designs in production one day, which would undoubtedly be an advantage in the ongoing war between the humans and the demons.

"I'd like to meet the ones who are 'pro-human'," she finally said at length. "There are hunters who believe coexistence between demons and humans is possible, but they are few and considered mad by most of our society." Those hunters weren't mad at all - from what she read of their dissertations and their papers, and their opinions in books, they seemed like very intelligent, rational people. Phynex was already proof that not all demons would dislike humans and mistreat them, and he was rational enough to listen to a human offer an agreement.

She sipped at her drink again, enjoying the sweet flavors. It seemed like that little girl would have a new regular customer, seeing as she and Phynex both found something they liked. The man was friendly and accepting - and wasn't that good? He seemed to treat her and her partner like they were just people like him, not really giving them too special treatment aside from the initial shock of serving someone like them. Selene was halfway through her food by now, and was taking her time finishing it. "Let's come back here sometime." The man seemed to smile from where he was working, even if some of his customers looked apprehensive he looked happy to have gotten a possible regular.

• Love
"Marriage? You are far too young to even considered, being fifteen." Phynex shook his head, "I know thousand year old demons who haven't met their love yet." Thinking back to his past lover, he had thoughts of marrying her. Their ages were very close, she was a loving and kind demon, with a dash of mischievousness. But the fire nymph was never interested in marriage, she was a carefree spirit who would spend the rest of her days travelling the underworld and possibly other worlds as well. She had once expressed interest in the human world and wanted to map it out, but finding an illegal portal was one of the hardest things to do in the underworld, the only authorised portals only used by the high-tier demons that had an appropriate reason. The fire nymph was a middle-tier demon, and traveling wasn't a good enough reason to be let through.

He nodded at Selene, "I have heard they are kept in dungeons, but I have never been allowed in. The most I have seen are the fairies being collared in public and shown off to their posh friends," he said with a rumbling voice filled with anger. Each fairy was different about their capture, "Some of them have been brainwashed, they look at their master so adoringly that it sickens me to even imagine what had been done to her. I remember a snow fairy who was sitting slumped next to a male demon who had looked at me with the saddest eyes, she wanted me to save her." He shook his head, what could he do? He would be restrained immediately for 'touching someone else's property'. It was such a odd rule, since the fairy was never his in the first place until she was forcibly taken away.

Phynex tried to recall some of the pro-human demons, he remembered the ones on the run because of their beliefs, but there were a few who were protected by the pro-human community or were so high in the high-tier rank that no one could do anything about it. "On my journey, I heard an interesting story," he began. "One of the royal princesses, I do not know which one, had sworn her neutrality to the ongoing war. She was not pro-human, but she did not want to see either of the species suffer. She was banished from her world and disowned by her royal family, it is a sad story for someone who just didn't want to see the outcome of the war." Phynex never knew who the princess was, or which one from which family, it was topic that had been hushed up very well.

He finished the rest of his sandwich and smiled at the huntress. "Let's." He would like to see the little girl grow up and laugh with her, maybe even strike up a friendship with her. Her father didn't mind their presence anymore, though there were still hints of cautiousness. And tasting those sandwiches was an experience, beef was delicious.

• Love
"Marriage isn't exactly about love these days," Selene pointed out, in what she hoped was a non-offensive tone. "It's not unusual to make matches based on what would bear the strongest possible children," she murmured. Her mother and her father's marriage, in many ways, had made the other hunters look at her family in a different way. Most had expected that the children born to their union would be weak, because Soleil was supposed to be a mere civilian girl. Her strangely inhuman aura and traits notwithstanding, the hunters condescendingly saw her for what they thought she was supposed to be: weak. When Asher had defied it all and married the woman he had loved - because even Kasimir would not lie to her about this - it had made a lot of young people question their own choices. When most of the family had been slaughtered in one fell night, most had sneeringly murmured behind his back that it was his and his newborn child's fault.

And then Selene had turned the world upside down for them. She had taken the title of the most powerful hunter in her generation. The ones who had been friendly to her family or at least cordial had respectfully given their congratulations, those who had known no daughter of her father would ever be weak had shaken their heads knowingly, and those who expected a failure had been shocked and resentful.

She glanced at him curiously when he mentioned demons finding true love. The look on his face was thoughtful, and she wondered if he had met someone in hell that he had considered marrying. It wasn't really any of her business, but it was one thing she filed away in her mind in the box that contained what she knew about her strange demon partner.

The more information he shared about the snow-fairies did make Selene feel a little sick. Brainwashing and conditioning was never a good thing, especially when the victim's mind was susceptible to it. She had seen the results of certain human captives who had been freed from the abusive demons, and those poor humans would have a difficult readjustment to normal life - if they ever recovered. "You couldn't have possibly done anything at the time," she mused. She wasn't trying to be comforting, she was pointing it out to him. He would have been surrounded by a lot of demons who would jump at the chance to restrain him for breaking whatever demon law that was.

"A demon princess...?" Now that was an interesting piece of information. A royal demon who tried to fight for neutrality, because she actually saw that both humans and demons were suffering in the war. Because hunters killed demons, and demons killed humans. No one ever came out unscathed. No one really won in a war. To be banished from her home and from her family, though... The royal family must have seen that princess as a disgrace, or someone was playing the strings from behind the curtains. Selene hadn't heard of any particularly powerful or royal demon emerging in the human world, though. Then again, that princess could have been banished decades or centuries ago.

She finished the food and the drink, before taking out a handkerchief and dabbing her lips to clean away any crumbs or sauces. The man came over once again, and with a polite nod and a low thank you, she paid him with a little excess. The man seemed surprised, but Selene didn't try to take any of the excess money back. "For letting us sit here undisturbed." She hadn't missed the way he had diverted the other customers away from staring at her and Phynex, or even told them that he didn't want any incident at his place. And he hadn't questioned Phynex, his child had been particularly nice. She looked at the man unflinchingly, her eyes unreadable. "... Maybe you can get your daughters something nice," she said, quieter, when he seemed to still hesitate. Standing up, she turned to Phynex. "Let's get back to the training ground and make the most of the remaining time."

• Love
Phynex cocked his head, that was true. Even demons made matches to create combinations to produce the strongest or rarest offspring. It was a debatable topic in the underworld, some being against such an idea and the fact that they might not love each other, only using each other to create the next generation. Phynex himself would have liked to married out of love, the idea of him using a rare or a demon with appealing traits or someone else using him sickened him to the stomach. If everyone did that, loving relationships would be so rare. Even if his children may not be the strongest or the rarest, at least he would come to love both his wife and child. Turning to look at Selene, he wondered if she shared the same beliefs as he did, she was a very interesting human being, but someone he found he could relate to. "Selene, would you marry someone because you love them? Or would you preferred to be matched?" Either way, the fire demon would respect her decision, who knows - maybe she wasn't the type to think about marriage, or didn't plan to marry at all.

Phynex recalled his mid teenage years and the puppy loves he had for the demonesses, a thought came to mind about the huntress; did she like anyone? Fifteen was an age of experimentation and curiosity in love and relationships, did she harbour any romantic feelings for others?

He was silent at her words, he may not have been able to save her, but he could have tried. The snow fairy had looked for frightened and scared of everything, her surroundings and the demons around her, especially the demon who held the chain that was connected to her collar. It was sick how they could do this to such an energetic and caring demon who spent most of her life helping others. Walking away from the sight of her on the group with sad big eyes was enough to make him feel terrible and guilty for not being able to save the poor enslaved fairy.

The fire demon noticed that the huntress had finished her half of the sandwich and the tall empty cup sitting on the table. For the last time, the man walked over, and Phynex watched in utter fascination as Selene handed these strange notes and some coins to the man, who seemed to look surprised at something. At her words, he looked around at the tables, a few of them were shooting glances at the two of them - although when the fire demon made eye contact with them they would turn around instantly and continue their meal - but it seemed like they were brave enough to look at them now was because the man was over at their side. Phynex hadn't noticed he had been asking his other customers to stop, or diverted their gazes. He was grateful for this man's actions, even though he didn't truly know him. The man and his daughter were a kind family. Phynex nodded at Selene and stood himself up, looking at the general direction of the clearing they were in before and swishing his tail. "We should come back here again."

• Love
"I... Haven't thought of it yet," Selene started walking down the street again, glancing at him for his question. "But whatever my father decides, I will follow," she murmured quietly. "At the very least I trust him not to match me with anyone who wouldn't respect me. It would be best if both of us," she referred to an imaginary spouse, "Would at least be on friendly terms." That was as far as her opinion went when it came to marriage and relationships. She hadn't exactly seen what romantic love was aside from Kasimir's stories of her parents, and she stayed out of strangers' ways. It wasn't her business, but she still overheard some things, and it didn't seem all that good. Love like that led to men fighting over one woman, or women fighting, clawing at each other because of a man, and all in all it seemed to lower people's decision making skills.

If that was the case, she was content with whatever she had with her father and Jasper. "I'm fine with being matched, unless I somehow develop an interest in someone, which isn't very likely," her voice was dry at the last part. Whatever appeal men and boys seemed to have for girls her age, she had no time for it.

Besides, her father still wasn't seeking out any partners or accepting any offers for her at all. He himself had been propositioned back when Selene was still very small, she had heard, but something had put a jarring halt to that. He had only told her to take her time in his own way, saying he wouldn't want to halt her career or her choices when she was still young.

The walk back towards the training ground was taking a little longer than it had when they had set out from it, the streets not too crowded, but still with people. At this hour, most hunters who weren't at work were sitting around having their own lunches, talking to each other over drinks. Some were obviously preparing for some work in the evening, all geared up and looking alert, but not too tense. They also seemed to go from specialty shop to specialty shop for weapons and gear, and checking over their belongings repeatedly. Selene and her partner passed by a crowd who were fixated on two young men, who seemed to be having a mock fight with their weapons, not really aiming to hurt but putting on a show, their weapons clashing more often than not. The people seemed to be cheering on their chosen, either that or making wagers on who will win.

"And we will come back there. You seem to like the food and I don't mind," she replied to his statement mildly as they finally got away from the general din and mass of buildings and people, and closer to the training ground. She wouldn't deny him that, not when he had treated her well. Despite most initial impressions of her being a cold and unfeeling person, that was just the way she preferred her image to be to the public. It didn't bring good attention most of the time, but it also kept most people away, and really, if people were like the bowman from earlier she would do just fine without them. "I already said earlier that we will."

• Love
"You must trust your father very much," Phynex almost felt...disappointed? What was he disappointed at? Was it because he had expected her to say she would rather marry someone she dearly loved? But that was her opinion, it wasn't like the fire demon could change it. If her father matched her with somebody that she was at least on friendly terms with, she would be happy? Perhaps humans were different in some aspects after all. But maybe it was because she was too young to make a choice on something so big and different in your life. Marriage was like a sudden change, suddenly, your life would be tangled up with your partner, see them every morning, making important decisions together...it was a strange concept. Phynex himself had been at several demon wedding ceremonies with the fire nymph during his journeys, and all of them were very enjoyable.

Phynex guffawed at her statement, "Love is like fire, Selene. Very unpredictable. You can say that now, but who knows? Maybe you'll find someone that you might not have been necessarily been looking for on the outside, but every being has an instinct to find a significant other." Those were the words of the fire nymph, who had a strong viewpoint on love but wasn't yet sure about commitment. Phynex at the time was also very indecisive, he was still young in demon years, and the average age for marriage was usually seven hundred to a few thousand - adults in the human world. But he knew a few demons who married early, and they lived happy and fulfilling lives with their lovely partners.

On the way back, there were significantly more people than earlier. There were hunters sitting around near the shops and stores, some with their friends eating their lunch and having drinks. Most of them were dressed in their strange uniform like gear, all the same dark colours but many different designs when one looked close enough. Phynex spotted a young man leaving a weapons store carrying what seemed like a long package wrapped in brown paper and neatly tied up to secure whatever was inside, the man's face was glowing with pride and joy. The two of them passed a small crowd that had gathered around two youngsters who were having a mock fight, the crowd cheering on and shouting bets. It reminded him of the fights that the demons had as children. Like cubs, they fought around and practised fighting with each other, not hurting but testing out techniques. Little demons rolling all over each other and biting and punching lightly. Even as teenagers, friends would leapt onto each other and engage into battle, only to laugh it off when they left with bruises and bitemarks.

The buildings and the hunters slowly disappeared, the noise quieting. "Oh yes, I've never had something so delicious in my life. And I've had a long life compared to humans," he said happily, feeling so excited that he almost started skipping down the road with Selene. "And the little girl was so sweet. Are all little girls in the human world just like her?" Phynex asked curiously.

• Love
"My father is one of the few things I have," Selene stated quietly at his comment about her father, but left the comment vague. He was observant enough to glean whatever knowledge about her parents from the earlier whispered comments, and she would tell him more if time proved good for both of them. "I take his word above everyone else's." And the demon with the silky red hair that hung like a silent shadow over her father's shoulder, the devil's advocate in everything, he also had a place of importance. No matter how she chose not to think or talk about it, he was still a constant in her life. Selene supposed that Jasper's word also ranked as the third most important to her. "That said, I have already done something foolish in his eyes, and I don't look forward to facing him." The earlier events of the day already left her feeling foolish and like a child, hearing her father's words about the matter would only press that further. But she knew, at least, that her father would listen to her explain her side.

The white-haired girl was left with the distinct feeling she had disappointed Phynex with something she said, and glanced at him with an unreadable expression. I'm already thinking about his feelings and opinions on me. If she was already considering his own feelings on the first day, and even his opinion of her, she was quickly getting attached. It was in her own hands whether she would let herself continue with the feeling or not, but she wouldn't think on it too much now.

At his question, suddenly so far from the previous topic, Selene gave him a long look. "I don't think so. Not all people are the same," she didn't even know that many little girls too closely. "But I wouldn't know," she gave a slight shrug. "I don't know enough little girls to tell. I did know a little boy back when I was younger and he's... Still as sweet as he was now," a faint smile traced the edges of her lips at remembering Jasper, a quick and almost unconscious reaction. "We grew up friends," she didn't know why she was sharing this with him, but Phynex wouldn't really be meeting Jasper anyway. She already knew the horrified and worried reaction her best friend would have, and meeting him would scare the boy even more.

Maybe Jasper would at least be reassured once he found out her partner was rather agreeable and not at all vicious to her like he would expect a demon to be. She could point out that she still lived through the first day unscathed (mostly, ignoring that incident with the bowman, which shouldn't even count), and her partner not really trying to harm a hair on her head (the time before the contract didn't count).

"Do you... Want to practice again?" She asked, tentatively, glancing at Phynex again. "We could go over your fire formation again, or I could help you with your dodging again."

• Love
"I'm envious," Phynex said simply in a soft voice. At least she had a father, someone to turn to. Perhaps even more, friends and other close relatives. Phynex was truly alone in this world, and had been for almost four hundred years. He found the company of the fire nymph immensely comforting, being able to talk to someone about anything and everything. He had so much to spill, all that had been kept inside of him since the beginning of his travels, and the fire nymph was more than willing to listen. She was comforting and kind, energetic and carefree, she was the perfect companion that he couldn't bear to part with. The death of his father was something he remembered so vividly despite it happening when he was quite young. At first, he didn't know why his father had not returned home, and why his mother was suddenly so protective of him and looked distraught. Then, the following morning, she had disappeared as well, leaving a note about the food she had made with love he could eat if he ever got hungry and asking the baby Phynex to wait at home. And so he did. He had woken up alone and slept that night alone. Phynex had woken up to the sounds of a loud gunshot, followed up the screams and gasps of a large crowd. Although Phynex never saw what happened, he heard the stories of his parent's death - as well as many others who did something to offend the king - being executed in public.

But it was also the time to move on, Phynex was old enough to start a new path away from the endless straying road of journeying. Now, he could start anew in the human world with Selene. Who knows, Phynex might enjoy the thrill of hunting demons like he once hunted prey with vigor. Turning to look at the huntress away from the ground, he tried to focus on her instead of the lingering feelings and memories of his parent's death. "The little demonesses are no joke, the true opposite of the one we met today. Mischievous little monsters, they are." Phynex rose an eyebrow at this new information, she had...a friend? "Does this boy treat you well? And not like..." his voice trailed off, though it was obvious he was talking about the ruckus the archer had made earlier in the morning.

"Do you want to practice? We can talk, if you want to," Phynex was open to suggestions. He could use this opportunity to get to know her more, or improve his skills. Either way, the fire demon didn't mind. Both would be a time for bonding and getting used to each other.

• Love
Something in Phynex's tone, his words simple and soft, made Selene look back at him again. He was envious of her? She narrowed her eyes, not in anger, but considering. His words could be taken in many ways, a good relationship with his father among them, or having a family, or even having something at all. Selene's words about her father had been vague, but meaningful. She and her father had a quiet relationship, neither of them were talkative. But her father had been the one to raise her since she was an infant, even while he had been senseless and grieving. He may have had his shortcomings, but Selene wasn't pretending she was the perfect daughter either. Some woman had insensitively told Selene that as his daughter, she should 'be a sweet and innocent little girl to soothe the loneliness in his heart', and she remembered the glare her father had given the woman. He had rarely gone out, and it was one of those times he was with her.

Selene had been a tiny child with soft white hair brushing her shoulders, a white coat bundled over her as she had her hands encased in thick gloves. It was a contrast with Asher's tall and lean form, towering over his child with a forbidding air about him, with his dark hair and silvery eyes. His look had been aloof, the way he had always looked at the world around him, but she knew best the way he looked so lost sometimes. Her father hadn't held her hand, but he had let her walk close to him as he looked around the place. The woman had been young, but she seemed to be rather eager to please her father - it had shocked the girl that the woman would suddenly turn and chide her with a condescending little smile on painted lips while her father was turned away.

I think you're fine the way you are. She had always prized those words for a long time. It had soothed any insecurities she had about trying to act normal - what was normal, anyway? Her father had sternly told the woman, "Don't tell my daughter to change herself," and had walked straight out of the store with Selene following.

"No, he was never like that," Selene shook her head at Phynex's question. Jasper would reel back in horror before even acting like that towards anyone. It made him rather weak, his incapability for ruthlessness, but he was growing and learning. He had a good head on his shoulders and she hoped that wouldn't change, even as the innocence would chip away and he saw the world for what it was. Jasper knew the world wasn't kind, but he didn't fully understand what that meant yet. He was starting to, with the death of his father and his succession as heir weighing on his shoulders, but it hadn't fully sunk in yet. "We take care of each other."

Phynex wanted to talk? "I suppose we could set some time to talk," she murmured, walking to a shaded area underneath a tree, and sitting down. She patted the spot beside her, making some room for him, as she leaned against the trunk. Afterwards, she looked at him intently. "What do you want to talk about?" She couldn't guarantee she could answer anything, but she didn't mind. Surprisingly.

• Love
Phynex's body relaxed a little. He hadn't even realized he had been all tensed up, waiting for her answer. He was curious as to how this boy treated her, and at that moment something had come to live inside of him. Some strange feeling that he rarely felt. Was it protectiveness? Where did it even come from? Was it a natural part of the contract, how the demon would always want to protect their hunter or huntress from harm's way? Or was it personal? Phynex shook his head lightly. He was getting more attached to the huntress, despite only knowing her for a day. He could feel a bond starting to take shape and form in between them, still new and easy to break or shape. He wanted it to solidify and create something he would have never experienced before - a friendship; a bond with a human being. There was something about making friends that made the fire demon feel so excited. Was Phynex too much of a trusting person? Was that why he already trusted Selene even though their time together had been short?

Nevertheless, the fire demon was glad about her answer. "That makes me very happy, to hear that he treats you well." Phynex flashed a smile at her. Having someone who would always be by your side whenever you need them was something he had rarely experienced before. Only once, the fire nymph was his companion. She was the shoulder he could cry on, pour out his worries and despairs and anger to a listening ear and to someone who cared. She was there to comfort him and be there for him, and never once did she leave his side until they had to part. Phynex wondered if he could do this for Selene, being someone who would be there for her. Although emptying your heart to a demon was not the best of ideas, he wanted to reach that point with her. He nodded, "I hope you two continue to take care of each other," he said in a happy tone.

Cocking his head at her question, he suddenly realized she hadn't really asked questions about him yet, most of them were questions about her. "Since I have bothered you with so many questions, would you like to ask me some?" he suggested. "I will try to answer anything you want to know.

• Love
If all demons were this open towards a partner, the hunters wouldn't have had such a fearful outlook on contracts. That thought popped up in Selene's mind for a second before she dismissed it, knowing that like people, demons also differed. It was just that a demon offering to try to answer all her questions caught her off guard, she stared at him, really tried to look at him, for that statement. Sitting there, leaning against the bark of the tree with the shade keeping both of them out of the afternoon sun, she looked into where his eyes would have been. A thousand questions wanted to make its way to the surface. How did he see the world without eyes? She knew he had some sort of sight, being able to seemingly look at someone and even make his way around the crowded streets. It could have also been that he had some sort of sense that made up for his lack of eyes, something that keenly sensed everything around him.

More than that surface question, how did he see the world now that he was pulled into it? What did he think of the humans he passed by this day, what did he think of the confrontation earlier - was he really disappointed with her and the other humans? What sort of life did he have back in Phantisamine? All sorts of questions wanted to make themselves known, and she mulled over for a moment. What sort of person was Phynex? Unlike certain hunters who thought demons should not be treated as persons, she had grown up knowing one. It had made her much more considerate of what to think of demons, though the demon she knew didn't really give her a favorable view on them. And was Phynex naturally this kind - this open? Was he naturally this eager about life, and exploring? He seemed to act so young, but he also made her feel young and foolish earlier.

"Did you have friends too, back in Phantisamine?" She asked, staring at him. He had asked her about what her friend was like earlier, so maybe she could ask something similar about himself as well. If he was normally this nice - though she didn't forget, couldn't forget his earlier rage and viciousness yet - in his home world, maybe he had friends of his own. Or maybe demons took advantage of that openness, or maybe he wasn't normally this open. She found herself hoping he wasn't normally this open - both for himself, and because the idea that he wasn't normally like this - and had been to her, even on their first day, made her feel strangely good. Like it was something special. And it was really strange that she would feel like this about a demon, finding herself almost... Caring. Or maybe she had already started to care without realizing it. "You are a rather friendly demon."

• Love
Looking into the face of the huntress, waiting for her reaction, he felt her lose her guard for a second. There was a spark of surprise igniting in her strange coloured eyes, followed by a flood of curiosity and the brooding of many questions in her mind. Phynex could tell she was having some trouble trying to figure out what to ask him, since had been so open-ended with what she could ask him. The fire demon's tail stopped swishing as he stared back at her with his eyeless face, no emotion but eagerness for her questions shown. He sat down on his hind legs once again, using his front arms to support himself and help carry the heavy weight of his body from his back legs. She was leaning against a tree under the shade, with a thoughtful look on her face. He, on the other hand, was sitting away from the shadow and in the sun, relishing the warm sunlight that was also so different from Phantisamine.

Now it was his turn to be surprised. Taken aback for a second at the question about friends, he hesitated. Yet it was possible that he dug his own grave, having asked her questions about the sweet boy that had been her friend. Pausing, he tried to decide what to tell her. But he had to be completely honest with Selene, to build trust. Phynex sighed, "No. I did not make friends. I spent my life travelling by myself, except the one time I met a fire nymph and she and I went along together," he cocked his head at the huntress, "Would she count as a friend?"

They had been lovers for a short time, but before that it was a mutual respect for each other. They learnt how to adapt to each other, work together. Many times they had escaped from close scraps with the authorities or local demons so ferocious they could have easily defeated them. She herself was a far more accomplished traveler than Phynex. The fire nymph had told him she had required her army from her adventures near the jungles, so far away from Phantisamine that the fire demon at the time had no idea jungles grew in Hell.

• Love
Selene blinked at the question that followed his answer, tilting her head in thought. "I don't know," she replied eventually, glancing away for a moment. "Do you count her as a friend? That is only something you can answer, since you are the one who know her." What was friendship, really? She couldn't really put it into words, maybe friendships for every person would be different. If one person can't be the same as another, what was to say friendship would mean the same thing to everyone? She just knew that her friendship with Jasper brought back memories that made her smile, and she could feel almost normal just sitting with her best friend. He had no expectations of her and accepted her as she was - even if he worried about her all the time. She felt the same, knowing he would soon be facing challenges of his own. People that wanted to take over the company now that his father was dead, people that wanted to take advantage of the vulnerability. It made her want to hide him away and protect him, but it didn't work that way.

It was interesting that he only seemed to consider one person a friend, though. She would have thought he would have more, but she accepted his answer as it was. Maybe because he was travelling - that implied he moved from place to place, he had a hard time forming lasting impressions with others. Unless they traveled with him, like the fire nymph he spoke of did. "I suppose we each have one friend," her lips quirked slightly as she raised her eyebrow. "What does friendship mean, anyway?" She pushed through with another subject, taking his mind off the one that seemed to trouble him. "How do you see, without eyes?" Now that was something she had always been curious about. Eyeless sight wasn't unheard of, but no one really had a chance to ask the demons who had it, did they?

She saw no point in dancing around the question or hiding it through more and more pretty words. He had had those eyes, been born with them, and he was hundreds of years old. Phynex would have grown long used to them and accepted them, and so Selene decided to be blunt. She looked at him curiously, watching for his reaction to her words.

• Love
"Hm," he pondered. "I suppose she was a friend, though I felt different about her during our friendship," he murmured. He did love her once, but that was at least a hundred years ago. Maybe it was infatuation, or true love, Phynex really didn't know. They were always there for each other, she could have left him to go about his journey alone, and so could he - but they didn't. The two of them stuck together, shared unforgettable memories and many days and nights going to the four corners of Hell. Together, they shared their aspirations and dreams and fears, they mapped out their journey and kept a journal that had detailed drawings of all the species of demons that they saw no matter how dangerous or common they were. Phynex remembered their last day together, when she had handed him the thick book for him to keep. She had smiled at him and said that she would be happy if he continued making new profiles once they parted ways. He, to continue his roaming and eventually return home. Her, going to chase her dreams of mapping out other universes.

Phynex cast a look over at the Selene, suddenly flashing a smile. "But now we have two. We have each other, no?" Selene was technically his second friend and first human friend, if she considered them friends in the first place. He wondered what it would be like, being in a friendship with a demon hunter. At least they wouldn't be lonely, since he'll be seeing her for quite a while. Phynex also asked himself that questions, the meaning of friendship. What was it? Why did they need it? Why did Phynex yearn for a friend so much? So many questions he couldn't answer himself.

The fire demon found himself staring at the huntress, before chuckling. "How do I explain it? I have my own version of eyes." He looked thoughtful, trying to figure out the best possible way to explain to Selene how his vision worked. He still could not find the right words, especially in English. Most demon would understand what he had without explanation. Giving a try, Phynex bunched up a few words to describe his eyesight. "It is like seeing through your mind. Like you had a pair of eyes, but you don't physically have them on your face. The vision of the mind is just as crisp and bright as yours."

• Love
Raising an eyebrow, Selene murmured more to herself, "Different?" He felt differently about the fire nymph than supposed friendship? What did that mean? She shrugged and left the question for later as he soon said something that once again, caught her off guard. She blinked repeatedly, staring at him for a dubious moment. They were friends? She supposed, that in a way, they were. They probably would be, if these talks and this sharing was supposed to lead to something like a bond between them. And if she started caring about him, she found herself minding the idea less and less. "I suppose... We are," she mumbled quietly, the bright smile he sent her way warming her face and her chest a little. No one outside of Jasper had really been this friendly to her, and she didn't know how to react. There weren't really any reliable books or manuals about friendship. And she and Phynex would be seeing more and more of each other as they started hunting demons across Nora. Now that she had him, she had more opportunities for going places both near and far, and being assigned more and more challenging cases. Like ones she hadn't been able to do before, facing multiple demons or tracking down their trail in a dangerous zone. She now had a backup, and it wouldn't hurt to know the person she would be counting on to look out for more.

"Your sight is from within your mind..." She wouldn't know what that was like, but it was probably like sensing around him. If one had to get all scientific the humans would be protesting it was impossible - how was he able to perceive the particles of light, the colors, the depth and the space all around him? But demons didn't exactly obey the laws of science that had been written and formed by the humans. They had their own biology, and more often than not it was mixed with magic. "What do my eyes look like, then?" She raised an eyebrow, directing her eyes to his face and moving a little closer. He should 'see' color just fine, from his words. "And can you see auras?" Aura vision wasn't an impossible ability for hunters, and even she, with a little more focus and concentration on the world around her, could see it. It was a good way to sense a person's personality and intent, their moods and their feelings.

What usually irritated Selene about auras was that her own aura, if someone could see it, would let them see more into her feelings and moods than she would like. She could keep her face as blank and unreadable as she would like, but manipulating her aura into something harder to decipher would be difficult. Especially since she couldn't focus on using aura vision and manipulating her aura at the same time, how would she know if she made an improvement? That was something she was planning to work on. She didn't want her heart or her feelings to be shown to anyone outside of what she let them see.

Status
Not open for further replies.