Elder Scrolls: An Empire in Ruins [IC]

Rain. Rain's Hand. A hill, the scent of rain, eating away at dirt.
Gro-Bashmar, with her helmet off, yelling that they needed to take a hill beyond that one. Bandits, maybe. Criminals.
(Had they been criminals?)

And then - light.

His body writhed as jolting electricity chortled through him. He tried to ground himself, but maybe everything in this horrible dimensions conducted electricity; and he was just another helmet, not a scholar. His father had said - something, something stopped electricity, what was it -
A mixture of spittle and frothy blood fell to the ground, with every roar of the Clanfear making it seem like the beast was cheering.

But thing was, he wasn't dead yet.
Not even close.

Roaring back, Placidus tore back his leg, ignoring the free flow of blood and his own flesh. Ah, and that was right - Clanfears reflected physical damage. How stupid of him, a rookie mistake -

"Save some room in me for your Sovngarde, Nord! It isn't our time, yet!"
@NeoM8rix

The Nord was attempting to charge the beast with a makeshift spear, and a bitter grin lit up Placidus' grit teeth.
He was conducting electricity right now, right?
Shaking as the lightning coursed through him, he made his move to stick a hand, charged with lightning, right in any wound the Nord opened up.

"Go, go, get out of here! I think... She! She left, follow! GO!"

He roared, gesturing towards the source of the unnatural storm - the Bosmer and the Dunmer.
Maybe they could make it - or get higher ground, and let the mixture of lightning and the unnatural cold of an atronach turn the tide of battle.
@irregular-neptune @SyntheticDovahkiin

Now, seeing that this beast could at least be hurt, a smile appeared on Denoran's face. @irregular-neptune "You there, Bosmer, keep up your lightning barrage, I've got a plan that might just put this thing down."

With powers of telekinesis the Dunmmer attempted to twist their prison into something that could be used to their advantage. A spikey sort of contraption which he flung towards the beast in the hopes that the electricity would be better conducted with the twisted iron, and continually coarse through the beasts veins.

He noticed the young one @Applo sneaking off. He saw that she was limping, maybe he could use some healing magic he picked up to heal her wound. He summoned a storm attronotch to replace his wounded frost knee and chased off after her. I hope their in well enough hands he thought to himself.

He watched as the battle unfolded before him, those lesser skilled in magic running up to the beast and hitting it with their bare fists, and almost chuckled to himself – did they all think that they were going to beat this Clannfear with lightning and their fists? It was such a hopeless situation, he didn't even know how to react – after all, battles like these weren't something that he participated in regularly, and in fact, they were something that he actively avoided. Maxim wasn't so much a coward as he was… looking out for his best interests, most of which required him to be alive.

He watched as the smaller woman just got up and ran away, and if he had only an ounce more selfishness, would have followed. But he saw how helpless this group was, how…. Magically inept they were, and he remembered the look of fear in the Redguard man's eyes, and he couldn't just leave them. That would be a weight heavy on his chest.

When Placidus told them to run, he almost jumped at the opportunity until the Dunmer told him to continue with his lightning spells toward the beast. He almost rolled his eyes – who did this elf think that he was, anyway? Maxim could do spells, too. And the 'great plan' that the Dunmer had wasn't even that great – but it would work. He watched as the metal bars were flung at the beast and strengthened his spells, sending a much larger shock spell toward the iron of the bars closest to the Clannfear and putting as much power behind them as he could. If they could kill this beast, they just might be able to get away before the others came – or so he hoped.

On the other side of the cell door, Sylva flatterned herself against the wall and slid silently into the nearest corner. Behind her the sounds of battle raged on unabated by her swift exit which was probably a auspicious sign. Hopeful the beast hadn't noticed her slip out but at least if it had, it was more interested in her cell mates at the moment. It had to be one of the two and hanging around to find out was something she had no intention of doing. She had to get as far away from here as quickly as she could. Even if the others did defeat the beast, whenever their little breakout was noticed, the search would start here. Well hopefully, it would. That was how it worked normally. But then again what about today was normal.

It barely took a moment for Sylva to realise there was only one path she could follow. To either side of her, there were gated doorways which looked like other cells. She didn't give them much attention. The staircase on the far side of the hallway was of far more interest. As gently as possible, Sylva took one step, and then another, and then another. Each time the balls of feet touched the strange crimson stonework she paused for a second as she waited for some reaction before continuing when none was forthcoming. As her confidence grew, so did her pace and by the time she reached the bottom of the stairs she was moving at a half run. Momentum and fear carried her up the stairs at much the same pace until she reached the final few steps. There, Sylva slowed down so as to be able to sneak a glimpse of the corridor ahead.

What she saw stunned the little thief. The corridor wasn't a corridor. It was more like some kind of balcony and beyond that it seemed was an impossibly vast room. Creeping to the far side, Sylva looked over the bannister. This room was beyond colossal. She wasn't even certain if something this big could be built on Nirn. Surely the foul energies of Oblivion that engulfed the room's central spire were needed to make such a thing possible.

Sylva was lost in this state of terrified wonderment till the sound of footsteps registered with her mind and forced her back to the here and now. Looking to the right, her heart skipped several beats as two or maybe three armour plated demons came into view. Dropping to the floor Sylva tried to work out what to do. It didn't seem like they had spotted her and for now the curve of the balcony was hiding her, but that would only last so long. Backtracking was not an option she was going to entertain so she had to find somewhere to hide quickly. Looking in the other direction to the daedra, Sylva could see alcoves in the wall at frequent intervals. Perhaps she could shelter in one of them. Crawling on her hands and knees, Sylva hugged the bannister as she tried to outrun her hopefully unknowing pursuers.

Last edited:
The World Reacts
Placidus would suddenly remember a quote from a religious text during this assault, "In the beginning Anu created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Anu moved upon the face of the waters. And Anu said, Let there be light: and there was light." There were several arcs of lightning, the impalement of the Clanfear by the metals of the cage creating something like a Tesla coil to a Faraday Cage. Bolts arced from point to point, and subsequently across the Imperial's body. It was excruciating pain, but nothing like the feel of a blade passing between a rib or being immolated. It just coursed through from point to point, Placidus being the conduit.

Eren would experience something similar, as he was using the improvised spear and turned him into a lightning rod. Since he wasn't literally grappled with the Daedroth, though, it wasn't as detrimental. He would feel sluggish from the paralytic effect of the electricity. The secondary effect of striking the Clanfear with the weapon, though, would send a shock through Eren's arms, akin to hitting a concrete pillar with a metal pipe as hard as you could without padding.

The summoning of the replacement Atronach would be in vain, effectively, as the Clanfear convulsed from the constant coursing within its body and across its form. The heat and pressure of the voltage caused its eyes to rupture and blood vessels beneath its hide pop and would slump dead once the storm had passed.

Sylva had no real issue outpacing the patrolling Daedra and was able to sequester herself in another alcove. Within, there would be a stairwell that descends fifteen feet and looks as though it ends in another cell block. It would appear that this entire level is nothing but cell blocks within these alcoves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TallDarknBeastly
Eren felt the pain come in waves first from the electric blast then the shock in his arms. But still despite all that he suffered he was able to stand proudly that the monster was finally dead. He would climb on top of the Clanfear's body. He would raise up his hands as high as he could giving a victory roar. "I am Eren the Ice-Blade and I will not die here in this wretched place! With my last breath, even if all my limbs fail me I will return to Tamreil. And nothing not even this cursed thing Wil stop me! " he said this as he stomped on the creatures head in anger trying to crush its skull under his boot.

@lepidoptera
Eren turned to see Placidus laying there in pain. "You're right Placidus. It isn't our time yet. You have fought with honor and I will not forget you when this is over."
@SyntheticDovahkiin @irregular-neptune
"As for the two of you, your magic was very helpful in this battle. It is clear that Placidus and I are in no shape to lead. Tell me your names and I will follow you" as stoic as Eren wanted to be He was still in pain from the effects as it caused him to fall to his knees. Looking around he saw that the little girl escaped. It was probably for the best she was not hurt from the monsters. He hopes he would find her again. @Applo

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo

Her knees and hands were painfully sore and her heart was pounding like a war drum, but Sylva was now directly opposite the refuge of the alcove. Quickly she looked in the direction the daedra were coming from and breathed a sigh of relief when she didn't see them. Scampering across the balcony, Sylva all but threw herself down the stairs in the alcove as she hunted for a shadow to lurk in.

What she found made her heart sink. For a moment she thought she had made a mistake somehow and headed back towards the cell. The pain in her knees though told her that wasn't possible and quickly she realized that this was another collection of cells identical to the one she had woken up in. This revelation stopped Sylva in her tracks and caused her to slowly back up the stairs a little. There was nothing she could do for anyone in here, their pleas for help would only give her away. Besides if this place was the same as the place she had woken up, was there one of those creatures here too.

Stuck on the stairway with no where to go Sylva pressed herself against the wall. Maybe, hopefully those daedra were going to investigate the ruckus in her cell. They had to be. Sylva was small, but she didn't like her chances of not being spotted where she was.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
As the Clanfear fell, Maxim was left standing, one of the few of the small group who hadn't been particularly injured, suddenly drained of energy. Magic wasn't hard for him – but the steady stream of lightning emitting from him during the battle had taken out a lot, and the exhaustion hit him. He surveyed the other beings in the room with him and, though they seemed a little rough, nobody seemed deathly injured.

Maxim looked at the Nord as he spoke, falling to his knees. They weren't going to have an easy time with this trip, and the injuries seemed to be mostly caused by the electricity, something that Maxim didn't know how to heal very well. He nodded toward the Nord, "My name is Maxim, though I am no leader, and you are in no shape to follow anyone."

The wood elf surveyed the group once more and wondered where the young girl had gotten off to. She may be the luckiest of them all, and Maxim wished that he had ran when he had a chance. Then again, he could always still leave…. But then he looked down at the Nord and the Imperial laying wounded on the ground and he knew that if he were to leave them, they would be goners… as selfish as he was, their deaths would be on his conscience.

He knelt down next to the Nord and began trying to heal him with one of the few healing spells he knew, hoping that it would be enough to get him back on his feet.

Failing to find the girl, Denoran managed to catch the question asked by the Nord. As he walked back into the room he said "My name is Denoran Suraal, and I'm sorry if I caused you three any pain. I thought the plan clever at the time and didn't have the time to take you into regard. I know some healing spells that should help with the burns though." He then bent down and began to heal the Nord.

Denoran took into account the names. Eren for the Nord, Placidus for the Imperial, and Maxim for the Bosmer. He always did this, for he enjoyed documenting the races and their common names. One of his odd eccentricities.

Denoran studied a lot at the College. From Magics to tales of Madness, he gained all he could from that place. From this knowledge he was able to gain some recognition of where they were, but he hoped to the Divines he was wrong.

@SyntheticDovahkiin @irregular-neptune
Eren could consider himself lucky there was a magic adept in restoration magic. In his travels he never had to worry about using magic. With his trusty enchanted blade, a healing potion and a bottle of Nord mead he could endure anything. But without his weapon without his armor without any of supplies he was completely naked. All he had was his strength and his will power to move forward. He could see now was going to be enough you need to rely on the mage. "Much appreciated, Denoran. Tell you what if you can help get us out of here in one piece, that would be most helpful. We need weapons, armor potions. Anything useful." Eren said as he was still in the thought of survival. He stood Still letting Denoran and Maxim use their healing spells.

"That girl. The one that with us. She slipped away when we were fighting that monster. Does anyone know where she went?"

"She went down this corridor. I was planning on looking for her but I heard you ask the question as I lost her so I figured I would come to answer." Denoran said as he gestured towards the hallway he just approached from.

Denoran had encountered Nords very frequently in Skyrim. From what he has seen of Eren he seemed like a noble sort of adventurer. The surname Ice Blade did ring a bell, but he didn't know why.

Denoran was excited to finally have new people in his life. He had been stuck with the same sort at the college for years and the only other time was spent as a lone wanderer. It was good to have company, and he thought this company good.

Eren would be a liar if he said that the name Denoran Suraal didn't sound familiar to him. He knew the name by reputation. He must have been one of them the dark elves set studied at the College of Winterhold which made him a member Skyrim. Perhaps that would be a conversation for another time. But for now he grown feeling slight pain as his burns are healing.

The Dunmer seemed like a good wizard. He still wasn't too sure about the wood elf. And the imperial didn't look like he was going to make it. Maybe if we find they followed the corridor where that girl went they might find a way out of this dungeon. "Well I'd hate to leave her all alone in this place. We better follow her. Who knows, maybe that leads us out of her. What do you say" Eren aid to the elves.
@irregular-neptune @SyntheticDovahkiin

The World Reacts
Unbeknownst to the vast majority of the group, the patrolling group of Dremora neared their alcove. Whether their enemy knew of their escape from their cages, has yet to be determined.

Maxim and Denoran's restorative magic works well to offset the superficial damage of the burn wounds, easing much of the pain. In order to fully treat the damage of the Eren's burns and fractured hands, they would need to pour more magicka into the spell and lessen their reserves, and spend more time in doing so. If left as is, Eren would have sore and tender burn marks with residual deep-tissue damage. It would heal naturally with time but might have unwanted consequences. The healing would also have dulled the pain of Eren's hands, but would require similar expenses to resolve at this time.

As Sylvia was making her way back up the steps of the alcove she hid in, shying away from the cells within, something caused her to give pause. It was a gut feeling that something was amiss, or being missed for that matter.

Placidus' Reaction
The Imperial staggered back after the Clanfear fell to its death and leaned against the warm, wrought iron bars of the cage. He was exhausted and injured more than he cared to admit. He watched as the Dunmer tended to the wounds of the Nord and preempted any attempts at restoration.

"Save your energy for when it's needed most, my friend. I can continue on yet. I experienced worse on the battlefield, something I would be more than happy to regale you with once we are safe."

After taking a moment to catch his breath, he reached down to collect a twisted and sharpened length of metal to use as an improvised weapon.

"I'm ready when you are."

The first thing Elaynor did upon waking up was cast detect life. This was a mistake. A quick flash of gold struck her eyes before the world changed as though she was peering through amber tinted glass. The first thing she noticed was that she was no longer alone, and yet she was. Energy surrounded her, auras without bodies or shapes, tormented and pained. Every aura had something about it that made it distinct, but not these ones. they were all the same, changed by the realm and the torture they had endured. They fell over her and through her, pushing themselves upon her and crying, screaming out in anguish, anger, and despair. She allowed only a brief moment of fear from this. They were unable to harm her, and spirits, however vile or horrific, were things she became well acquainted with quickly.

"Here I thought Mundus was a bad place for necromancers..." She mumbled.

She took notice of the walls and floor, they had changed to a disgusting, moving dark crimson. The walls aura moved up and up, not even disturbed by the ceiling which took on the same qualities of the floor beneath which moved in one directionas though being pulled by something unseen. The realization took a moment to set in, and when it did, it was not so easily accepted. the architecture was alive, pulsing and beating, moving like the innards of a mortal: and she was in its belly. She forced herself not to be sick. As the spell wore off she took a moment to steady herself and hesitantly sat on the floor, doing her best not to let any of her skin make contact with it. As her magica regenerated she'd cast it again and again, every time she'd gain her strength back completely, shed cast in the hopes that her only company would not be the condemned meanwhile praying it was not something worse.

She could feel him there whenever she casted it, not just around her but in her, too. So angry, so desperate, so foul and versatile, yet so empowered. It was perhaps five or six casts before she noticed something new, something foreign to this world just as she was. It landed and hid just outside her cell in the shadows against the wall. Though she knew there was a body tied to this aura, and that it was walking (or running) on its own two feet, she could not actually hear the footsteps. It's aura reminded her slightly of home, the roots of Colovia in the souls of her... her? Yes, a woman, a girl! a thief! With Colovia in the souls of her feet and the empire's flower bud in her mind... a child...

Elaynor thrust herself to the edge of her cell, plunging her hands between the bars.
@Applo

"You there! Girl!" She whispered. "Free me, and we can escape this place together! I'll keep you safe, I promise!"

• Bucket of Rainbows

Head whipping round at the noise, Sylva stared at the outstretched arms reaching through the bars of one of the cells. How had they known she was here? Had she made that much noise? The fact they called her girl without having seen her as far as Sylva knew completely passed the street rat by. For a moment she was tempted to do nothing. To just hunker down on the stairs and wait. To hope for them to give up. But she knew they wouldn't. She wouldn't. If it was her in that cell Sylva knew she would shout, beg and plead for anyone on the other side to open it if that looked like the only way out. And if this person did what she would, all the attention she had been trying to avoid would crash down upon her.​
Sliding down the stairs, Sylva came to a stop in front but just out of reach of the arms. Brown eyes set in a Wood-elfs face stared back at her. Sylva had never had chance to meet many Bosmer and she found the stubs of horns at the edges of the woman's face more than a little unnerving. Still, at least they were the only eyes staring back at her. The elf seemed to be completely alone in her cell. In all the cells in this collection actually. Silently, Sylva held a finger to her lips in the universal sign for quiet before moving closer to the bars. Her other hand was buried in the back of her tunic and gripping the shiv in case this elf had ill intentions.​
"There are demons up stairs." Sylva hoped the elf wasn't like the prisoners she had woken up with. They had seemed boisterous. Without saying another word Sylva pulled the shiv out from its hiding place and, gripping it delicately between her fingers, used it to explore the cells lock. It wasn't an ideal tool for the job but experienced compensated and after a handful of moments Sylva thought she had an idea of how the lock was.​
"I… I think I could pick it but…" Sylva trailed off as she thought. When she had escaped the first cell, she had thought she was better off alone. Now though, now some company might be nice. She didn't have any picks though which was a problem. "You got a spoon or a belt or..." now Sylva perceived the how the elf's hair sat in a bun on the back of her head. "a hairpin?".
For a moment the elf was still and then with a quietly muttered "of course, of course" she reached behind her head and extracted the long, thin piece of metal. After that, things progressed rapidly. Even in her somewhat shaken state and with a shiv for a wrench and a hair pin for a pick Sylva found the lock easy enough to crack. Her hands worked as much by muscle memory as they did under instruction from her head. When the bolt slid open she quickly used a foot to push the door slightly ajar before stepping back and wondering if she had made the sensible decision. Two people would be easier to spot, but an ally gave her someone to watch her back.
@Red crow

"There are demons up stairs."

The Statement gave more to think about than she would like to admit. She knew there were daedra, she obviously knew she was imprisoned and that there were more than she had hoped, but the confirmation made her uneasy. She tried to remain focused on the girl in front of her, she was older than she had thought. Most people were still young by Elaynor's standards, but humans matured quickly enough. This girl had matured too quickly, though, far, far too quickly. Elaynor realized that the reason the bud she had seen in this girls aura had not yet bloomed was not because it had lacked the time to do so, but because it had not been cared for. Too trodden on, too rough, her naivete torn away by life: the girl spoke to Elaynor in a way that made her uncomfortable. Her clothes ragged, her hair and face dirty, and her eyes revealing of her nature: Elaynor saw a younger version of herself, back in the streets of cyrodil with unwanted talents and no home to turn to.

Elaynor's expression firmed up along with her posture as the door slid open. The girl was roughly the same height as her, yet Elaynor did her best to stretch and seem taller. Her long dirty blonde hair now falling down upon the back of her neck and her somewhat torn and tattered robes made her feel improper, but she did her best to come off with dignity. She did not smile at the girl, nor did her voice seem particularly elated, yet she spoke high praise to her.

"Impeccable job." She said quietly. "Truly remarkable, your talents must be of great use to you. Lockpicking aside, your stealth is superb, making you nearly undetectable. Though, in a place as foreign and panic inducing as this, you are likely to simply turn corner on a pack of daed- of demons. I have certain talents as well that may come in use, detect life will keep us from running into unwanted company, and certain summons will serve as proper distractions in case of unpreventable contact. My name is Elaynor." She gave a deep bow. "May I have your name as well?"
@Applo

• Bucket of Rainbows

"Ursi." The fictitious name dropped from Sylva's lips as naturally as her own. More naturally even. It also wasn't a complete lie. There were plenty of people in Anvil who associated that name with her face. "Ursi Hammerchild."

So this elf was a mage? That revelation stilled the questions and doubt that had been churning in the Sylva's mind. She prided herself on be able to move around undetected and Elaynor calling out to her had left her feeling shaken. Being detected by magicks that illuminated life, that Sylva could live with quite easily right now.

"Follow." Gently, Sylva began to ascend the stairs once more, her eyes fixed on the top as she watched for anything that might give her and Elaynor a moments warning of any incoming daedra. She had seen the elf's attempts to stand taller than her, and she had not minded. Sylva had spent too much of her life skulking in the shadows trying to avoid attention to try and compete. That being said, hopefully Elaynor would have stopped for now. It only made her, and by association, Sylva a bigger target.

"Ursi? A lov-" Elaynor began to say, coming up from her bow. She stopped short as she saw that the girl had already left the cellblock. With a bit of a frown, Elaynor chased after her. She climbed the stairs as quietly as she could, but her silence and speed paled in comparison to that of Ursi, who moved as lightly as a shadow. Elaynor bit her lip as she prepared to cast detect life, something made her nervous though she did not know why. She reassured herself that she had seen the worst of this realm and was quite acquainted with it. She was wrong. She cast it just as she caught up with Ursi. She thrust her arm out in front of the girl as soon as she cast, right before climbing the last steps and walking through a doorway into a massive chamber.

It was at least a hundred feet wide with massive ring around the outer walls that held her from the pit that extended far, far and lower than it was wide as well as shot up and up and up further than the eye could see. Two massive archways sat parallel to each other on each side of the ring, with many doorways just like the one she had wandered through. In the center of the chamber, reaching as far up and down the spire as she could see, there was column of light, overflowing, radiating, pulsing like a heart with his essence: Dagon's essence.

It all happened so quickly.

Drumming, like that of a heart filled her ears. The edge of her vision became darkened with the shadows of figures she could not make out as she could not look away from the spire of Dagon. His presence fell upon her like a wave, pressure in the chest, the arms and legs, and finally the whole body. Flashes of memories not her own struck her, screams, pleading, agony, acceptance, regret, pain. A hundred thousand deaths raced through her mind in less than a second, each one she swore she could personally feel. She fell to her hands and knees, sweating profusely as she felt the flames of the memories lick at her own flesh, their knives cut her skin, their teeth tear her muscle from bone. She struggled not to vomit before giving in and emptying her stomach. Then he spoke, so close to her, as though right behind her, in her ear.

"It is as you see: The deaths of Countless. Do not Worry, Young one. You, too, shall join the everlasting."

"...Im not afraid of you..." She tried to convince herself under her breath. "I'm not!" She spun around, fist first but found no one there. Her eyes looked back to the spire, auras: souls spiraled up around it towards the top, intertwining like a helix as they got higher, undulating and then snapping out, begging for a freedom forever denied. She thought for a moment that she could not hear the drumming, then realized it had simply aligned with her own heartbeat. The Spire sang to her rhythm and its voice said her name.

She shook it away, forced herself up and back down the stairs as she noted the presence of distant dremora. She did not turn to face Ursi, her face still drenched in sweat and vomit still likely at the corner of her mouth, she did not want to be seen so stirred.

"We musn't... we cannot go this way. There are guards." She whispered. "Let us find another way."
@Applo

• Bucket of Rainbows