3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, romance, slice of life, anti-hero stories, "you're our only hope", fandom non-canons, soft scifi, transhumanism, magical girls, horror, suspense / mystery, detective noir, fractured fairytales
echoes-banner.jpg

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Campaign Details
x

This roleplay campaign will be 100% homebrew, with recognizable elements found in the books. Your characters will travel to places never seen before, or maybe they will stumble into eerily familiar worlds that leave you with a sense of deja-vu.

The story seems to begin in the Forgotten Realms. There is a guild which can be found in nearly all cities worth a name on the map, where adventurers can go to in order to find work. Named
Steelsong Legacy
after its Bard forefather who earned the highest praises from a long-dead king, the guild members range from regular monster hunters to treasure gatherers, to artisans and merchants. Once you become a member, you cannot leave the guild - it is a lifetime contract. Members are called Steelsingers.

All player characters are members of this guild. Why they are, how it came to be, or what their goals are is entirely up to you.

While it appears to be an elite guild, it is in fact not that popular. Signing up for one's entire life is a tad dreadful for some folks, and there are public lists of the guild members. Your characters will perhaps not know each other personally, but they will all recognize each other to some degree as being Steelsingers - either with physical recognition or with name recognition.

Important Links
x

Interest Check - Ø
Compendium (Classes & Races) - Ø
Sign-Ups - Ø
In Character - STONE [ Ø ] - WOOD [ Ø ]
Discord Server - Ø

Reference Material
x

This roleplay will be sourcing lore and worldbuilding stuff from Dungeon & Dragons 5th edition books, published by Wizards of the Coast. All names and settings borrowed from the books do not belong to me or the players.

pls don't plagiarise.

Player's Handbook
, published August 2014

Extra material:
Elemental Evil: Player's Companion
, published March 2015
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
, published May 2018
Volo's Guide to Monsters
, published November 2016
Wayfinders Guide to Eberron
, published 2018
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
, published November 2017

Websites used:
Roll20
D&D Beyond
D&D 5e Wikia
D&D 5e Wikidot
5etools

Cover art: source
Thanks to @Jorick for his assistance in writing down things directly from the books, otherwise it would've taken me twice as long to get this done.

Table of Contents
x

Laws of the Realm - Ø
Character Creation, Weapons & Equipment, Pantheons & Deities - Ø
Character Sheet: Details - Ø

Classes

Barbarian - Ø
Bard - Ø
Cleric - Ø
Druid - Ø
Fighter - Ø
Monk - Ø
Paladin - Ø
Ranger - Ø
Rogue - Ø
Sorcerer - Ø
Warlock - Ø
Wizard - Ø

Races

Part 1: Aasimar, Changeling, Dragonborn - Ø
Part 2: Dwarf, Elf, Firbolg - Ø
Part 3: Genasi, Gnome, Goliath - Ø
Part 4: Half-Elf, Halfling, Half-Orc - Ø
Part 5: Human, Kenku, Lizardfolk - Ø
Part 6: Shifter, Tabaxi, Tiefling - Ø

Play-by-Post Mechanics
- Ø

more to be added as necessary

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Laws of the Multiverse
x

1-
Posting Expectations & Speed:
This roleplay will lend itself to rather short posts. However, quality is definitely a priority even if you just post a paragraph, give me and everyone something to work with. The posting speed will be extremely variable. Please try not to post back-and-forth with another player for more than a few posts, and make use of collaborative posts. While there isn't quite going to be a posting order, if you will be unavailable to post for an extended period of time, please let me know. It is crucial for all the party members to participate, and if someone disappeared or is simply not posting, it ruins the fun for everyone. I won't hesitate to kick someone out if they are frequently going MIA on posts.

2-
Credit what you use:
This means credit the artist of your character art and credit the source of the information you use (especially if you copy-paste blocks of text). There will be a note at the bottom of your character sheet saying "All text copied from any D&D 5e books belongs to Wizards of the Coast" and it must remain visible. Plagiarism is bad and if you have copy-pasted text in your character sheet that isn't credited, I will frown very deeply at you. If you are struggling to find the artist of the image you're using, I will be more than happy to help.

3-
Always show and don't tell:
One particularity about roleplaying D&D games is that we want vivid descriptions of what you're doing. Writing "My Warlock casts Eldritch Blast" is... B O R I N G. Actions, attacks, and spells will be explained a bit further. But if your character is casting a spell or attacking a foe, describe us what it is they do, what they say, how they say it. I strongly encourage flavouring your spells/actions/attacks with personal flair, so that it is indeed unique to your character.

4-
Pay attention to the Discord server:
Each group will have its own category of channels for OOC chatter, group dice rolls, and individual channels. Group A won't be seeing Group B's channels and vice versa, and the individual channels will be between me and the player only. Updates, posting information, and other important stuff will all be posted on Discord so make sure you don't mute the server. I will be tagging at a minimum to avoid constant pings, so every ping will be important.

5-
Do not post your character sheets:
Simply put, you are all strangers in a strange land. You don't know that the tiefling next to you is a wizard or warlock, or that the shady-looking dwarf is in fact a trickster rogue. No - more details on the character sheets will be posted below, so be sure not to post your sheet here until it's been approved. Any character sheets MUST be sent by Private Message to me (on Iwaku, no Discord DMs with character sheets)

6-
Two groups of max 6:
I've considered the insane amount of interest for this roleplay and have decided that I will be running
two separate games with the same premise
. This gives for a total of
12 players
. It's a lot, but I'm confident that dividing it in two will make this fun and enjoyable for everyone. There will only be 1 OOC thread, but 2 IC threads. You will be tagged in the assigned thread.

7-
Character submission deadline:
Since it will likely take me quite some time to review every single character, the deadline will be
September 30th
. HOWEVER, there will be a 5-days grace period for those who submit on the last day, so if you cannot have your character modified / adjusted / etc by October 5, you are automatically refused. As soon as I review your character and changes are made, you will be made aware that it's green-lighted. Final approvals will be posted
October 6-7
along with party assignments.

8-
Reading Every Player's Post:
Please, please, please read every single post. It doesn't matter if your character is not directly involved in that single moment, every post matters. If we were playing a live session, I highly doubt you'd block your ears while other players go for their turn. If I notice anything like this happening, you will get a warning, and a second-time offense will earn you a second warning. Third strike, though, you're out.

9-
No Meta-Gaming:
This should be obvious, but sometimes it's easy to forget that you're all strangers. Regardless of what another player might have told you about their character, unless you two have a pre-established relationship between your characters, do NOT use that information. Unless a character says something directly (i.e.: "I'm a Bard"), your character does not have any knowledge about other characters' abilities.

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Character Creation
x

1-
Characters start at LEVEL 3:
That way you aren't starting as noobs, and I can throw more monsters your way. Just like in regular D&D, encounters will give you XP, and whenever that happens I will tell you
in private
only. Once you obtain enough XP, you can level up your character. XP is obtained both through roleplaying and through fighting, so if you put some traits or whatever on your sheet (i.e. your character is a coward) and you DO roleplay them, you get XP. It's a little arbitrary, but trust me I'm your DM. Not everyone will level up at the same time. You can use this chart to see how much XP is needed to level up: CLICK ME.

2-
Point-Buy System:
You will be using this website to distribute your ability points: CLICK ME. Once you've selected your race, you will see that it automatically adds the racial bonuses. If your race is not listed, you select CUSTOM and manually add the bonus points. I trust everyone to do this without cheating the end result.

3-
Approved Races & Classes:
All approved races and classes can be found in the Compendium thread: CLICK ME. If a class, archetype, race, sub-race, etc is not listed there then it is not approved.

4-
Character Death:
This will be a very real thing. Once your character dies, they are dead. Unless someone has a reviving spell, of course - but otherwise they are not coming back. You will be out of the game. There might come a time where it will be possible to introduce a new character, and as we approach that moment I will let you know and give you a chance to join back in.

5-
Starting Equipment & Gold:
When you create your character, you can choose from the listed equipments for your chosen class. If you multi-class, you can grab the equipment from the second class without additional costs. The starting GOLD is
for everyone. This way, you can buy additional equipment for your character and completely disregard the equipment that initially came with your class. Please do NOT add in the gold from Backgrounds. Speaking of...

6-
Backgrounds:
You can choose a Background from the approved list of D&D books. Here is an easy link to view them: CLICK ME. You get the equipment, tools, and skills. You do NOT get the gold mentioned, as everyone will be starting with the 100 Gold. Backgrounds are also useful for figuring out your flaws, bonds, ideals, and personality traits.

Equipment & Weapons
x

There is a lot of different equipment your character can have with them, from weapons to trinkets. Since it would be near impossible to list them all, please visit those links to see what is available. Note that most of those listed items are from The Player's Handbook, so if there is something you want your character to have which isn't listed there, greenlight it with me first.

Weapons
Armor
Objects
Tools
Adventuring Gear (This is where you'll find the Equipment packs as well that you get from your Class / Background)

Mounts/vehicles and magic items are not permitted.

You can use the starting 100 G to buy any additional equipment. Remember that if you are not proficient in a certain weapon, you will not get the Proficiency bonus (attack bonus).

Pantheons & Deities
x

Just for fun, I will allow everything that can be found on that page: CLICK ME. I couldn't find a good table listed online, so if you refer to the Player's Handbook, Non-Human Deities (listed on page 296) are also allowed. Deities from Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron are NOT eligible.

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Character Sheet: Details
x

The character sheet template is very similar to the tabletop version, so it shouldn't be too challenging for those who are used to it. I will still go in a bit of detail here just to be sure we're all on the same page.

There are two sheets: the full character sheet with all the stats, and the Public Character Card. As mentioned in the rules, all Character Sheets must be sent to me by Private Message on Iwaku and they are NOT to be posted in this thread. Once your character is approved, you will be posting the Public Character Card (which can be found at the bottom of this post).

Basics

Name:
It can be whatever you want. Real names, fake names, nicknames, etc. Just try to keep it fantasy-ish, and if you're unsure you can always use name generators or pick from the examples available in the books.

All characters must be adults. Use the ages appropriate for your selected race.

Race:
Please see the posts with all the listed races and subraces. No custom races.

Height/Weight:
According to character race.

General Appearance:
I would love for everyone to include a character image. I realize that this is not always possible, but please try your best to find something! No anime or real-life pictures. Realistic art or a bit more "cartoony" art is fine. Always source your art references. In addition, add a brief description of your character's appearance. Everything that one might notice when first looking at your character.

Ability Scores:
See #2 in the Character Creation section. Fill in the little blanks in the template provided.
Example: Strength: 12 (+1)
The +1 is the modifier, which will affect your skills.

Saving Throws:
Those are listed in your Class proficiencies. It represents your character's ability to avoid or resist a threat. It is the modifier for that ability, and if you are proficient in that ability you also add your Proficiency Bonus.

Proficiency Bonus:
Listed in the tables for character classes, this applies everything your character is proficient in, so skills, attacks/spells, tools, etc.

Total Hit Points:
Basically, your health. Use the hit die provided for your class, combined with your Constitution modifier. You add a specific amount of HP as you gain levels, and they are all detailed in the info section for the Classes.

Current Experience Points:
Everyone starts at 900. Make sure to keep track of your XP as I attribute it to you throughout the game, either in your Discord channel or in the PM you will be sending me your sheet with.

Beyond the Surface

Class & Level:
Choose a class from the list made available in the Classes section. You can multi-class if you wish - but please do it because it makes sense for your character's story, and not to bloat up on skills and stuff. You will also be keeping track of your character's level in this section.

Alignment:
You can select an alignment from this list: CLICK ME. Remember to appropriately roleplay your alignment! Class & race can influence alignments, so choose wisely.

Armor Class:
Found in the table for armor (see the Equipment section), you also add your Dexterity modifier. Unarmored AC is 10 + Dexterity modifier. If you are proficient with shields, using a shield adds on top of your AC. If your class gives you special instructions on how to calculate AC, do follow those instructions instead.

Speed:
Most medium-size races are at 30 ft, while small-size races are at 25. Look it up! It's not super useful for this roleplay, but it might come in handy so might as well have it written down somewhere.

Languages:
Everyone knows Common. Other languages can come from your Background and your Race.

Tool Proficiencies:
Acquired through class, race, and background.

Special Racial Traits:
Listed in the races section. Please include all that apply.

Special Additional Class Traits or Feats:
Anything that is unique to your class or background, unrelated to your race.

Skills:
Skills are acquired through your class and background, and each skill is tied to an Ability (they are all noted in the Character Sheet Skeleton at the bottom of the post). Fill it like such:
Acrobatics: x (+2)
The "x" means you are proficient in it, and the +2 would be your ability score modifier. All skills get your Ability Modifier, but you add your Proficiency Bonus to the number if you are proficient in that skill.
If you have things like Expertise (like for the Bard), please indicate it with like such: "xx".

Digging Deeper

Equipment - Weapons:
Please use the link provided in the Equipment section. If you want to add any flair to your weapons, feel free to do so there! Enter the information in this format:
[Weapon] | [Attack Bonus] | [Damage Die + Ability Modifier] | [Damage Type]

Most weapons will use the STRENGTH Ability Modifier for the Attack Bonus, but weapons marked as Finesse can use the DEXTERITY Ability Modifier instead. In some cases, some classes will say that your Attack Bonus is always calculated using your DEX Ability Modifier, so follow those instructions instead. If you are proficient in a weapon, you also add your Proficiency Bonus on top of the DEX or STR Ability Modifier to find your final Attack Bonus for a weapon.

For the Attack Roll, which is a die you roll to see if your attack lands on your opponent, you roll a d20 and add your Attack Bonus to see if your attack lands on an opponent.

For a Damage Roll, which is when you roll for a successful attack to see how much damage you do, you'll roll the weapon's Damage Die and add only the STR or DEX Ability Modifier you used to calculate the Attack Bonus. You do NOT add your proficiency bonus to the damage roll.

Example: A Fighter with a +4 STR modifier and a +2 Proficiency Bonus makes an attack with his flail. His Attack Roll is a 14, and since he's proficient with the weapon his Attack Bonus total is +6, giving his Attack Roll a final value of 20. It hits the enemy, so he then rolls a 1d8 (the flail's Damage Die). That lands on a 3, so he adds +4 from his STR modifier for a total of 7 damage, crushing a poor goblin in one blow.

Other Equipment:
Once again using the links provided in the Equipment section, list everything your character owns here, from gold to trinkets to armor.

Spellcasters only

Spellcasting Class:
Your class. If you are multi-classing, make sure to note which spells are from which class.

Spellcasting Ability:
It can be found in the class abilities.

Spell Save DC:
The DC is equal to 8 + proficiency modifier + spellcasting ability modifier.

Spell Attack Bonus:
It is your spellcasting ability modifier + proficiency bonus.

Note on spells:
Not all spells deal damage, and some have lasting effects. Please include all the information of a spell's effect, and if it requires a saving throw (and of what kind). Some spells require material components; the components with a specific gold cost must be noted, while all the others can simply be included in your component pouch or spellcasting focus.

Cantrips:
Include here how many cantrips you have.
Enter the information in this format:
[Spell name] | [Range] | [Damage Die + Damage Type]

Spells Level 1:
Include here how many spell slots you have.

Spells Level 2:
Include here how many spell slots you have.

Depending on your class, spells are arranged in specific ways:

Cleric, Druid, Paladin:
Can have prepared spells from the available list of spells for their class. They can be swapped during long rests. I would suggest only noting here the spells that you want your character to use throughout the adventure, note which ones that are prepared, and you can change which spells are prepared whenever we have a long rest.

Bard, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock:
Simply list all the spells you know. You don't have to note which ones are prepared, since they are always readily available for your character.

Wizard:
Learns spells in a spellbook, and you must select which spells are prepared each day. All spells in your spellbook must be noted, and you must also note which ones are prepared for the day.

Spell Slots:
For each level of your Class, you will have spell slots. These are noted in the class level charts, easily found on any of the links in the Reference Material section. Once you use a spell slot, it is expended until you finish a long rest (unless it says otherwise in your Class info).

Background:
Simply add here which background you chose, and what it gave you in terms of Skills and Proficiencies.

Personality:
In this section, there are a few things I would like you to include. I want: personality traits, a flaw, an ideal, and a bond. You can find examples of those included with the available BACKGROUNDS, but you can pick some of your own that fit better.

Backstory:
I want to know why your character signed up with the Steelsong Legacy. For some, a lifetime is really long - while for some others, it's just a few decades. What made them want to basically sign their life off to a guild? As mentioned in the section Campaign Details, the Steelsong Legacy is a guild founded by a very particular Bard who'd earned the favour of a great king a very long time ago. The guild is famous for having some of the highest paying contracts and job postings, but the membership price is quite high. Tell me more about this, about your character's life story. It doesn't have to be very long, but do give me something to work with!

Public Character Card

Name:
Either your character's real name, or a name they would've signed up with for the Steelsong Legacy.

General Appearance:
At first look, what your character looks like.

Visible Equipment:
Once again, at first look - what does your character have with them that is visible to others. Weapons, armor, bags, etc.

Please include visual art of your character here outside the box.

Code:
[size=7][b][u]Basics[/u][/b][/size]

[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Race:[/b]

[b]Height/Weight:[/b]

[b]General appearance:[/b]

[div=width:300px;][fieldset=Ability Scores]
Strength: __ (_)
Dexterity: __ (_)
Constitution: __ (_)
Intelligence: __ (_)
Wisdom: __ (_)
Charisma: __ (_)
[/fieldset][/div]

[div=width:300px;][fieldset=Saving Throws]
Strength: __ (_)
Dexterity: __ (_)
Constitution: __ (_)
Intelligence: __ (_)
Wisdom: __ (_)
Charisma: __ (_)
[/fieldset][/div]

[du][b]Proficiency Bonus:[/b][/du]

[du][b]Total Hit Points:[/b][/du]

[du][b]Current Experience Points:[/b][/du]

[size=7][b][u]Beyond the Surface[/u][/b][/size]

[b]Class & Level:[/b]

[b]Alignment:[/b]

[b]Armor Class:[/b]

[b]Speed:[/b]

[b]Languages:[/b]

[b]Tool Proficiencies:[/b]

[b]Special Racial Traits or Feats:[/b]

[b]Special Additional Class Traits or Feats:[/b]

[div=width:300px;][fieldset=Skills]
Acrobatics (DEX): __ (_)
Animal Handling (WIS): __ (_)
Arcana (INT): __ (_)
Athletics (STR): __ (_)
Deception (CHA): __ (_)
History (INT): __ (_)
Insight (WIS): __ (_)
Intimidation (CHA): __ (_)
Investigation (INT): __ (_)
Medicine (WIS): __ (_)
Nature (INT): __ (_)
Perception (WIS): __ (_)
Performance (CHA): __ (_)
Persuasion (CHA): __ (_)
Religion (INT): __ (_)
Sleight of Hand (DEX): __ (_)
Stealth (DEX): __ (_)
Survival (WIS): __ (_)
[/fieldset][/div]

[size=7][b][u]Digging Deeper[/u][/b][/size]

[fieldset=Equipment: Weapons]
[Weapon] | [Attack Bonus] | [Damage Die + Damage Type]

[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Other Equipment]
Include everything that are NOT weapons: Armor, treasures, money, packs included with your background or class, etc.
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Spells]
[b]Spellcasting Class:[/b]

[b]Spellcasting Ability:[/b]

[b]Spell Save DC:[/b]

[b]Spell Attack Bonus:[/b]

[du][b]Cantrips[/b][/du]

[du][b]Spell Level 1[/b][/du]
[i]Slots:[/i]

[du][b]Spell Level 2[/b][/du]

[du][b]Spell Level 3[/b][/du]

[i]**Please remember to note if your spells are PREPARED, depending on your class.**[/i]
[/fieldset]

[b]Background:[/b] (Name the background and list what it included - Skills, proficiencies, equipment, etc)

[b]Personality:[/b] (Personality traits, Flaw, Ideal, Bond)

[b]Backstory:[/b] (Why they are a member of the Steelsong Legacy)

PUBLIC SHEET

[div=width:300px;][solid][b]Name:[/b]
[b]General Appearance:[/b]
[b]Visible Equipment:[/b]
[/solid][/div]
[i]Please include visual art of your character here outside the box.[/i]

All text copied from any D&D 5e books belongs to Wizards of the Coast.

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Play-by-Post Mechanics
x

Bringing a dice game to a play-by-post format is not an easy feat. I will be honest and say that I don't know what I'm doing and you're basically all my guinea pigs, and that I hope my visualization of scenes and posts is reflective of what will transpire in reality. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this or find something is not clear or plain out bad, please let me know in private message and we'll discuss it together. Thank you everyone for your patience and dedication!

For convenience, examples will be using the character Demo McSample, posted in the next post.

Priority content:

The main component I'm looking for here is roleplay. This should be obvious, but I feel the need to put yet more emphasis on it. Regardless of what your character's actions are, I don't want to read it and feel like it's a bunch of stats. Flavour it, make it unique to your character. It is your role to make it immersive!

Dice rolls:

For convenience, dice rolls will be done in the Discord server. You all have your private channels, and there is a group channel for group rolls.

-->When you decide you want to roll:

Sometimes it will happen that your character sees something, and you would normally ask the DM "I would like to roll to see if I can make the jump", or "I want to roll an attack for this weapon against that foe". Here is how you will do it:

Your in-character post here. Blablabla, fun things, stabby stabby.
Character Actions
Demo McSample stabs the Rat with his Dagger.
or
Demo McSample rolls for Athletics.
or
Demo McSample casts Eldritch Blast at the Rat.

Code:
[fieldset=Character Actions]
[Name] [action].
[/fieldset]

Looks pretty simple, I think! You do not have to include any additional information that might reveal too much about your character, and if you want to discreetly do something without the other players knowing, you can do so in your private Discord channel.

Once the roll is done, you save that information for your next post. If a GM post is on the way, I can have that result included for you instead.

For roll assists, it will be important to tag me on Discord so that I take it into account while making the player roll.

GM Posts:

To roll the story along, there will be frequent GM posts and players are strongly encouraged to post as frequently as they want. Ideally try to not post like five times in a row or do too much back-and-forth with another character. If need be, I can even create temporary Discord channels for quick collab posts, especially for dialogue-heavy situations.

Sometimes, I will tag you in your private channel or in the group OOC channel to know about your character's reactions. Some characters have special reaction abilities, so those will come into effect at that moment.

There will be some NPCs, without a doubt, but the first scene(s) will heavily rely on character interaction. So, be sure to get involved with your group and post things that others can reply to!

Movement abilities:

Unless we're in the middle of combat or you believe it is 100% relevant to the scene, movement speed isn't going to play a big role. It will honestly be a case-by-case situation, although I will aim for consistency to minimize the confusion for everyone.

Map visuals:

I will have combat maps on my side to properly orchestrate the scene, however if it becomes a necessity, I'll make maps for you guys so that it's easier to follow along. It's also why movement speed isn't quite that important except for who's walking faster toward a location. The magic of roleplaying is that we all have a little movie playing in our head as the scene moves on, but if it becomes confusing for any reason then this isn't something I want us to be worried about.

Dialogue:

For my convenience and my own preference, I ask that everyone has coloured dialogue. Please, please, please use the colour guide by @Holmishire found here. I realize I forgot to add this in the character sheet, so feel free to edit your public character profiles to include the hexcode.

Bungee Inline;Monda;

Erratum
x

There was a mistake in the section detailing the Attack & Damage Rolls, so it has been updated in the Character Sheet post.
Many thanks again to @Jorick for fixing this up for me.
You can also click here:
Please use the link provided in the Equipment section. If you want to add any flair to your weapons, feel free to do so there! Enter the information in this format:
[Weapon] | [Attack Bonus] | [Damage Die + Ability Modifier] | [Damage Type]

Most weapons will use the STRENGTH Ability Modifier for the Attack Bonus, but weapons marked as Finesse can use the DEXTERITY Ability Modifier instead. In some cases, some classes will say that your Attack Bonus is always calculated using your DEX Ability Modifier, so follow those instructions instead. If you are proficient in a weapon, you also add your Proficiency Bonus on top of the DEX or STR Ability Modifier to find your final Attack Bonus for a weapon.

For the Attack Roll, which is a die you roll to see if your attack lands on your opponent, you roll a d20 and add your Attack Bonus to see if your attack lands on an opponent.

For a Damage Roll, which is when you roll for a successful attack to see how much damage you do, you'll roll the weapon's Damage Die and add only the STR or DEX Ability Modifier you used to calculate the Attack Bonus. You do NOT add your proficiency bonus to the damage roll.

Example: A Fighter with a +4 STR modifier and a +2 Proficiency Bonus makes an attack with his flail. His Attack Roll is a 14, and since he's proficient with the weapon his Attack Bonus total is +6, giving his Attack Roll a final value of 20. It hits the enemy, so he then rolls a 1d8 (the flail's Damage Die). That lands on a 3, so he adds +4 from his STR modifier for a total of 7 damage, crushing a poor goblin in one blow.

Character Sheet: Example
x

Below you'll find an example of a character sheet, made by @Qwertronix . It was made with the idea in mind to help everyone see what I'm looking for, both in format and in how I would like the personality / backstory sections to be. You can always go in more detail, but this is the minimum I will accept. If your character is bland and boring... Well, I might pass you over even if you're very experienced in D&D.

Basics

Name:
Demo McSample

Race:
Changeling

Height/Weight:
6' (183cm) / 175lbs (79kg)

General appearance:
Demo generally looks like a tall, bearded human man in religious robes, with the colors and symbols of whichever religion appears most prevalent in the region. As a changeling, however, Demo can take on virtually any physical appearance and can make use of a disguise kit to complete any deceptive appearance.

Ability Scores
Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 17 (+3)

Saving Throws
Strength: +0
Dexterity: +2
Constitution: +1
Intelligence: +1
Wisdom: +2 (X)
Charisma: +5 (X)

Proficiency Bonus:
+2

Total Hit Points:

Current Experience Points:

Beyond the Surface

Class & Level:
Warlock 3

Alignment:
NE

Armor Class:

Speed:
30 ft

Languages:
Common, Infernal, Orc

Tool Proficiencies:
Alchemist's Supplies, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit

Special Racial Traits or Feats:

• Change Appearance
    As an action, you can transform your appearance or revert to your natural form. You can’t duplicate the appearance of a creature you’ve never seen, and you revert to your natural form if you die.

You decide what you look like, including your height, weight, facial features, the sound of your voice, coloration, hair length, sex, and any other distinguishing characteristics. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You also can’t appear as a creature of a different size than you, and your basic shape stays the same; if you’re bipedal, you can’t use this trait to become quadrupedal, for instance. Your clothing and other equipment don’t change in appearance, size, or shape to match your new form, requiring you to keep a few extra outfits on hand to make the most compelling disguise possible.

Even to the most astute observers, your ruse is usually indiscernible. If you rouse suspicion, or if a wary creature suspects something is amiss, you have advantage on any Charisma (Deception) check you make to avoid detection.
  • Unsettling Visage
    When a creature you can see makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the roll. You must use this feature before knowing whether the attack hits or misses.

Using this trait reveals your shapeshifting nature to any creature within 30 feet that can see you. Once you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
  • Divergent Persona (Alchemist's Supplies)
    You gain proficiency with one tool of your choice. Define a unique identity associated with that proficiency; establish the name, race, gender, age, and other details. While you are in the form of this persona, the related proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses that proficiency.

Special Additional Class Traits or Feats:

• Otherworldly Patron: The Great Old One
  • Awakened Mind
    Your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can telepathically speak to any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.
  • Eldritch Invocations
    • Eyes of the Rune Keeper
      You can read all writing.
    • Eldritch Sight
      You can cast detect magic at will, without expending a spell slot.
      Cast Time: 1 Action, Self/30ft V,S D: 10 Minutes
      For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.
      The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.
  • Pact Boon: Pact of the Blade
    As an action, you can create a pact weapon in your hand (you choose the form, you're proficient with it, and it counts as magical). You can also transform a magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual.
    You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see the Weapons section for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.
  • Feature: False Identity
    You have created a second identity that includes documentation, established acquaintances, and disguises that allow you to assume that persona. Additionally, you can forge documents including official papers and personal letters, as long as you have seen an example of the kind of document or the handwriting you are trying to copy.

Skills
Acrobatics (DEX): +2
Animal Handling (WIS): +0
Arcana (INT): +3 (X)
Athletics (STR): +0
Deception (CHA): +5 (X)
History (INT): +1
Insight (WIS): +2 (X)
Intimidation (CHA): +3
Investigation (INT): +1
Medicine (WIS): +0
Nature (INT): +1
Perception (WIS): +0
Performance (CHA): +3
Persuasion (CHA): +3
Religion (INT): +3 (X)
Sleight of Hand (DEX): +4 (X)
Stealth (DEX): +2
Survival (WIS): +2 (X)

Digging Deeper

Equipment: Weapons
Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+2 p | Simple, Ammunition, Loading, Range, Two-Handed, Range (80/320)
Dagger | +4 | 1d4+2 p | Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, Range (20/60)
Spear | +2 | 1d6 p (Versatile: 1d8 p) | Simple, Thrown, Versatile, Range (20/60)

Other Equipment
Backpack
Book
Robes
Fine Clothes
Crossbow Bolts
Spare Dagger
Disguise Kit
Ink (1oz bottle)
Ink Pen
Leather Armor
Little bag of sand
Parchment (one sheet)
Small Knife
Staff (Arcane Focus)
A signet ring of an imaginary Duke
Holy Symbol of Lathander

Spells
Spellcasting Class:
Warlock

Spellcasting Ability:
Charisma

Spell Save DC:

Spell Attack Bonus:
+5

Cantrips

Eldritch Blast | 120ft | 1d10 force | V/S
Prestidigitation | 10ft | * | D: 1h, V/S

Spell Level 1

Slots: 0

Charm Person | 30ft | * |
You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Unseen Servant | 60ft | * | D: 1h, V/S/M
This spell creates an invisible, mindless, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at your command until the spell ends. The servant springs into existence in an unoccupied space on the ground within range. It has AC 10, 1 hit point, and a Strength of 2, and it can't attack. If it drops to 0 hit points, the spell ends.

Once on each of your turns as a bonus action, you can mentally command the servant to move up to 15 feet and interact with an object. The servant can perform simple tasks that a human servant could do, such as fetching things, cleaning, mending, folding clothes, lighting fires, serving food, and pouring wine. Once you give the command, the servant performs the task to the best of its ability until it completes the task, then waits for your next command.

If you command the servant to perform a task that would move it more than 60 feet away from you, the spell ends.

Spell Level 2

Slots: 2

Detect Thoughts (C) | Self | * | D: 1m, V/S/M |
For the duration, you can read the thoughts of certain creatures. When you cast the spell and as your action on each turn until the spell ends, you can focus your mind on any one creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. If the creature you choose has an Intelligence of 3 or lower or doesn't speak any language, the creature is unaffected.

You initially learn the surface thoughts of the creature--what is most on its mind in that moment. As an action, you can either shift your attention to another creature's thoughts or attempt to probe deeper into the same creature's mind. If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails, you gain insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates). If it succeeds, the spell ends. Either way, the target knows that you are probing into its mind, and unless you shift your attention to another creature's thoughts, the creature can use its action on its turn to make an Intelligence check contested by your Intelligence check; if it succeeds, the spell ends.

Questions verbally directed at the target creature naturally shape the course of its thoughts, so this spell is particularly effective as part of an interrogation.

You can also use this spell to detect the presence of thinking creatures you can't see. When you cast the spell or as your action during the duration, you can search for thoughts within 30 feet of you. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 2 feet of rock, 2 inches of any metal other than lead, or a thin sheet of lead blocks you. You can't detect a creature with an Intelligence of 3 or lower or one that doesn't speak any language.

Once you detect the presence of a creature in this way, you can read its thoughts for the rest of the duration as described above, even if you can't see it, but it must still be within range.

Suggestion (C) | 30ft | * | D: 8h, V/M |
You suggest a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) and magically influence a creature you can see within range that can hear and understand you. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this effect. The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell.

The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it pursues the course of action you described to the best of its ability. The suggested course of action can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do.

You can also specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. For example, you might suggest that a knight give her warhorse to the first beggar she meets. If the condition isn't met before the spell expires, the activity isn't performed.

If you or any of your companions damage the target, the spell ends.

Background:
Charlatan (False Identity)

Personality:
Demo is affable, sociable, friendly, and utterly fanatical and single-minded towards achieving their goals of remaking the world. They will do anything, pretend to be anyone, without pride and with nothing too sacred, in order to achieve the widespread corruption necessary for the gods to begin the great Confrontation that the Old One requires to destroy a part of this plane and remake it.

Backstory:
Demo grew alone. Rejection was the norm. Until eventually they happened on a nice friend who-- no. That didn't happen. No one saved Demo from a dark, rough life. The world isn't fair. Demo decided to make their own world where they could enforce fairness. Though the world would darken due to the deals Demo would have to make, it would be a fair world, where every consequence matched the act.

It is with this mindset that Demo forged a pact with a Great Old One from beyond, which they had to seek in the forbidden tomes of an outcast Tiefling wizard, making a powerful enemy in the process.

Once the pact was sealed, Demo received wisdom from the Great Old One, and knew that corruption spreads easiest from the exemplary to the mundane. Infiltrating the Steelsong Legacy and slowly changing it from within to accept careful bargains with evil in exchange for safety and control would be one of the best ways to make this attitude popular among other individuals of note and renown, and this would help the ideas spread and make it much easier for the servants of the Old One to corrupt large numbers of intelligent humanoids and prepare for the great Confrontation.

PUBLIC SHEET

Name:
Demo McSample
General Appearance:
Demo is a well-built middle-aged man in flowing acolyte robes who looks slightly weathered by years of travel. He carries himself confidently and bears multiple symbols of the road and sun of Lathander.
Visible Equipment:
Decorated robes, sandals, holy symbol of lathander, book of scriptures, large traveling backpack, staff.

AJoqSTs.png

All text copied from any D&D 5e books belongs to Wizards of the Coast.

Name: Wrek't
General Appearance: A serious-looking, clean-shaven half-orc with orcish features more pronounced than with most of these half-breeds. He stands tall and large, with less visible muscle mass than one would normally expect of an armed and armored half-orc of this size. Generally, his posture and gait are straight and even, measured, and clearly disciplined.
Visible Equipment: Scale mail, soldiering uniform (unknown colors), insignia patch, backpack, purse, waterskin, warhammer, shield, long-bladed polearm, longbow, crossbow.

unknown.png

Name: Ilsas Meliamne
General Appearance: Standing at 5'11, Ilsas has a lean but strong figure and a slightly less than fair complexion. His eyes are a deep azure blue and his hair is a snowy white, long, straight and messily kept. More often than not, the bounty hunting elf can be seen wearing a dark brown leather armor over his civilian clothes, as he's usually up to something that will require it. Usually, he has some sort of small, superficial wound such as cuts or bruises on his hands and face.
Visible Equipment: His longsword hangs from his waist and his shield on his back, attached to his backpack.

8c81f55eb68d6f80c3b4960f757b55c0.jpg

Name: Kilgir
General Appearance: Short and Stout and obviously muscular, with black hair and a beard, sporting clothing in shades of brown and tan.
Visible Equipment: Quarterstaff

pRdh7xZ.png

PUBLIC SHEET
Name: Sylva
General Appearance: Sylva is a short, thin human woman with tangled shoulder length brown hair, blue-green eyes and a general coat of dirt and grime. Her leather armour is worn over dull coloured clothes and appears to be a size or two too large for her as all the straps have been pulled as tight as they can go.​

Visible Equipment: Leather Armour, A rapier, A hand crossbow, a backpack and a 50ft length of hemp rope.​

Art is a piece I commissioned and it was created by Luindis Design.​

Last edited:
Name: Mayavin Baenre. Goes by Maya.

General Appearance: Maya is a tall and slender Drow woman, with the characteristic dark skin and white hair of her kind. She's rarely seen without amusement or a smile on her face. Her outfit of choice for any outing is a mix of practical wear and costume: the sturdy trousers and boots are for practicality, but the low cut top with oversized sleeves, the corset, and the length of leather material that goes most of the way around her waist like an odd combination of a skirt and cloak are purely for the look and tend to draw eyes.

Visible Equipment: Maya always carries an instrument that is something of a hybrid between a lute and a lyre. She also has a rapier and a dagger hanging in sheathes on her belt. The leather components of her outfit are clearly made for a bit of protection rather than just show, though they only add a bit of protection beyond what normal clothing would afford.

cheerful_drow_by_anndr-darzxjc.jpg

Art by anndr in Deviantart. Also let's pretend that instrument is just a really fancy lyre/lute combo instead of... whatever it is.

Name: Rook

General Appearance:
Every inch of visible open skin seems to be made of volcanic rock, dark ember flecked with black woven in smooth pattern that ripples like molten stone. His features are hard and defined, dark gleaming eyes like beads of glass shadowed under prominent brows set before a smooth hairless stone skull. The outline of the symbol of Kelemvor is carved into his forehead, skeletal hand holding a perfectly balanced scale.

His shoulders are wide, his form bulky, and each time he moves there is the barest sound of rocks grinding together.

If one knows the world's lore and its many rumours, one could identify this form to be of an Earth Genasi, creatures of flesh and element bound together by the unlikely circumstances of their births.

Visible Equipment: Warhammer, Kelemvor's symbol as a pendant on his neck. Heavy plate armour.

Art by: Leechee Doodles
Name: Eloise Littlesleep

General Appearance: Fair skinned with large blue eyes and dark hair that reaches her lower back Eloise is often mistaken for a young child with her small and light frame. From that viewpoint Eloise doesn’t differ much from other halflings. What does make her stand out from the rest of her kind is the use and application of make-up. Though she stays true to her race by applying make-up lightly the halfling female makes her business by selling products that range from potions to powders and scents alike to whoever can afford it and wishes to dabble into their vanity.

Visible Equipment: Backpack with a 50 feet hempen rope tied to the side.
Hex: #C12

Last edited:
Name:
Cleo Wildflower

General Appearance:
Cleo is a tall and lean young human woman. Her hair shares the color of the moon and reaches her lower back, while her eyes are heterochromia (blue and yellow). Cleo's skin is pale giving away the fact that she has not spent many days out in the sun, along with her small delicate hands that are clearly not used to combat. She wears robes with the symbol of Selune (a set of eyes and seven stars) at all times, along with a white cloak and its hood over her head. Her leather armor is underneath her robes, though she never forgets to wear it despite it not being visible.

Visible Equipment:
Her robes, her cloak, a mace, a backpack, 50ft of hempen rope, a necklace with Selune's symbol and a light crossbow.

apMAZI6.jpg

Art by - Kai Fine Art

kurtlin.jpg

Art by Ready At Dawn Studios

Name: Kurtlin Barlowe
General Appearance: Hidden beneath a hood at almost all times, what can be seen of Kurtlin's faced is lined by age and scarred by experience. Stubble and an unkempt beard help to further hide his features. He wears the dark leather so popular amongst those of his profession, accentuating it with a few scarves and bandoliers to hold extra supplies in easy reach. His pack is light, tucked against his back in a sling that he can easily pull around to his front in order to reach it's contents.
Visible Equipment: A rapier hangs from Kurtlin's belt, and a crossbow is strapped to the back of his pack. The bandolier across his chest is filled with his thieves' tools.

Jorras.png
Name:
Jorras

General Appearance:
He is rather tall, fair-skinned, and handsome by most standards. His hair is black, and his eyes a light grey, perhaps with a slight blue tinge.
A short, trimmed beard adorns his face, with a few strands of hair showing grey rather than black.
His clothes are in dark colours and rather inconspicious. However, they're clean and nicely groomed, like the rest of his appearance.

Visible Equipment:
His staff / quarterstaff, the waterskin he keeps on his belt as well as a backpack with other belongings.

Dialog: #6699cc
“One does not simply walk into Hodor.”

Last edited:
Name: Gox
General Appearance: Gox is a lizardfolk with a flat angular head, carrying a crown of angular spines on the back of his head . His scales are a dark maroon in color, and he has reddish brown natural armor plates. His eyes are large and are a sunburst of orange and yellow with black slits for pupils.
Visible Equipment: Gox is usually wrapped in a cowl that was originally black, but now seems to be threadbare, dirty, and discolored. He doesn't seem to wear armor, but is always covered in dark neutral colored clothes. A long sleeved shirt under a sleeveless tabard, and long finger-less gloves. He never wears shoes, but he wears wraps around his clawed feet for the most basic protection.

Around his waist is his swordsman belt, a thick, black leather belt with another belt slung with it- carrying his beloved rapier at his hip, and his daggers across his lower back. His thieves' tools are in a roll-out pack on his right hip.

His pack on his back is worn, and usually covered by his cowl.

87gcoht.png

img source

Dialogue Hexcode #F37934

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Kasdeya
General Appearance: Kasdeya has a slim, lightweight build, standing at just above average height. Her skin is a golden brown with an unusual green tint, and it is covered in small scars and calluses. Her horns curve back around the top of her head, framing long, brown hair that falls in a curly mess around her shoulders. Her eyes are a bright green, bright enough to be slightly unnerving. She is wearing a set of well-used and well-cared-for hide armor.
Visible Equipment: Hide armor, sheathed sword at hip, backpack, wooden shield strapped to backpack, oak scepter tucked into belt

Hexcode: #880

Art above belongs to telthona.

Last edited: