☐ ℬeauty & the ℬeast

Nikolai could only stare and watch as his sister, Vera, gazed at Bea with a fierce look to her eye. She hadn't even noticed Charlie, but when she did, the words that came out of her mouth were enough to make Nikolai cover her mouth. Putting it nicely, she said something along the lines of 'what are you staring at, you crude man!?' Due to her dialect being quicker and heavier than Nikolai's, he sincerely prayed that Charlie wouldn't understand what she had just spoken.

Brushing off her brother with a flick of the hand, Vera began circling Bea like she was hunting prey. "A blond bombshell. Brother, I'm surprised." The woman shot Bea a deep glare and proceeded to grab her brother by his ear and drag him away for a heart to heart talk. From the room next to them, Bea and Charlie could easily hear frantic, wild arguments. Vera constantly accused Bea of being just like 'her' while Nikolai tried to explain that it was currently 'infatuation' and he didn't love her. Yet. The siblings quarreled for a good twenty minutes, leaving Bea and Charlie to nervously glance at each other for that entire time period.

Vera stormed out of the room before Nikolai, and went straight up to Bea without much of a warning. The Russian woman was a few inches shorter, but still managed to be more imitating than her brother. "I refuse to accept you here, you're just like all the others. But it's worse this time because you've got money and power to shit screw my brother if things don't end up like you want them too. You've even got a good family to love and care for you in heartbreak, but we don't, so if you dare try to twist him around your finger, I'll personally make sure that you won't ever step foot in Russia again." Throughout Vera's speech, there was a poisonous glare rigged to her face; a sure sign that she wasn't fucking around. Nikolai tried to calm his sister down, but to no avail. The one person who managed to be worse than all the women before was standing in his house threatening the one girl who Nikolai trusted more than the others.

Bea nodded understanding the few phrases here and there, getting the general gist of the sentence. Honestly, Bea wasn't a cruel woman. Just a picky one. After all, most of her past exes consisted of one statement. It was always those poisonous words 'sorry I love you but I think we can only be friends.' or 'you're wonderful but I just don't match up to you.' It was frustrating and upsetting. Her heartbreaks never actually hurt (of course no one dared dumping someone like Bea Fontaine) but they were rather sad and pitiful. Now that she found someone like her, she was ready to take on the challenge go through this relationship slowly, hopefully being able to see where things would go. The last thing she needed was to be disappointed.

For the rest of the day, Bea had managed to entertain the russian woman, who's name had been Vera. Charlie however, was of no help. It was clear that he tried on several occasions to flirt but failed miserably. So in the end he spent time making jokes instead. It was pleasant meeting her in all honesty. Bea had no idea that Nikolai had a sister. She was head strong but blunt to a point. Tough love. That was what it was. She hoped that she made a good impression on her.

By the time it was 9, everyone retreated to their bedrooms as Charlie himself declared to be bored of this dull Manor. So he himself left the mansion, off in search of a night club or somewhere to have fun. Bea shook her head with a grin, thank god the family's inheritance was going to James who happened to be much more responsible. In fact he was level headed and didn't even touch one drink in his whole entire life. After showering and drying herself off, she wore her comfortable night dress. Trying to sleep she found herself lying wide awake. Lonely at this hour, she decided to sneak off into Nikolais room again. Just for some company, not like she was going to do anything bad...

Finding him wide awake he seemed happy to see her. Sitting besides him on his bed she asked nervously.

"Do you think your sister likes me? Or at least approves..." A little hesitant in seeing what he would say. After all, at the rate the woman spoke, she couldn't understand everything precisely.

Nikolai wrapped an arms around Bea's shoulder, trying to comfort her insecurities. "It's not that she hates you Beatrice," he spoke her name with a much heavier accent then when he tried to speak English, "she's very cautious about who's around me for...reasons." He wasn't going to lie to her, because filling the woman with false hope wasn't going to make things better. Especially if everything crumbled in the end. "I don't think she approves yet, either, I think she's still hesitant. Don't worry though, you'll get some time to win her over."

The male leaned over and planted a loving kiss on her lips, attempting to ease her worries. It wasn't nearly as sweet as a few nights prior, but it was genuine.

Honestly, his sister was nicer than she appeared, but since their parent's death she constantly breathed down Nikolai's neck, warning him about how bad it was to make everyone around him happy while he felt like shit. She must have been smarter than she appeared too, because Vera had been absolutely correct about that as well.

The duo managed to fall asleep after some more talking about their lives and everything to do with it. It was around seven in the morning when Nikolai had awoken to a delicious smelling aroma. He figured it was his sister; she was probably making breakfast for them. He dragged his feet downstairs to prove himself right when he found her leaning over the stove making eggs. She popped her head up with an uncharacteristic smile and said a chipper 'good morning'. Nikolai was going to ask what was wrong with her, but he felt like taking advantage of her happy mood.

The two chatted about the news in Russian until Vera was done cooking. She drifted upstairs to wake up Bea and Charlie -who had gotten home around two in the morning. Nikolai hadn't realized she'd taken a small pearing knife with her, but a loud thump from upstairs signaled she'd scared the shit out of someone with the sharp object in her hands.

Turns out, it was Charlie who'd she'd given a heart attack, because moments later Vera's fail attempt at English could be heard coming from the area where his room was. Her stuttering English, however, was enough to make anyone smile."I make food, g-get up."

His sister trotted downstairs with a satisfied look. She took the breakfast off the stove and placed it on plates. Vera then set the plates on the dinning table and waited for everyone to get dressed and come down. Before anyone graced the sibling with their presence, Nikolai caught Vera off guard by asking her, straight out, if she likes Bea.

"I... I do not know if I can answer that yet," she looked as if she were going to say more to him, but Charlie and Bea entered the room with drowsy faces. Nikolai stood up and gave Bea a good morning kiss right then and there. Charlie opened his mouth to protest, but a sharp glance from Vera made him rethink his decision. The four of them were half-way through breakfast when Vera promptly announced that she would be staying at Nikolai's house to further 'analyze' Bea. Nikolai almost choked and died on his scrambled eggs. With his violent sister and Bea's troublemaker brother, it was safe to say he was never going to get anywhere in his relationship with Beatrice.

A week later, the four had all piled up into a van for a road trip. For eight hours straight, they sat in the car. Nikolai who had taken turns driving was constantly being entertained by Bea. She tried her best to keep him awake, cracking up a few jokes. On the other hand, Vera and Charlie were in the back seat cursing and swearing at each other. They acted like children rather than adults. Though at least they couldn't disturb Bea or Nikolai. Finally by 7 at night they arrived in the country side, the cold had faded away into a lighter, breezier temperature. Getting out of the car, Bea stretched, yawning.

Though there wasn't a hotel in site, there was a small cottage with an old man and eldery woman. They were friendly, known for their hospitality as both Nikolai and Vera stated. They seemed to be quite close and were invited inside. However there were only two rooms. Nikolai quietly sighed as Charlie grinned with knowingly looks. Bea shrugged sorrily and headed into hers and Vera's room. There was one large bed in the room and there was no choice but to share it. As the night grew darker and they were all fed, going to bed, Bea laid awake until her body groggily accepted the drowsiness. At five in the morning, Bea got up and was ready to get going.

As the rest of the household was asleep besides the elderly couple, she helped out with breakfast. Trying her best to follow Russian instructions, she attempted cooking. It resulted in something average, the woman praised her for trying. Bea thanked her modestly. By six in the morning, Vera had gotten up surprised that Bea prepared breakfast. She didn't say a word.

Deciding to wake up Charlie and Nikolai she opened the door finding the both of them still sound asleep. Charlie's foot was against Nikolais cheek while Nikolai himself had clearly hogged up all the pillows. Bea laughed as she woke them both up gently, a little less loudly compared to the previous works of Vera.

Being the first to get up and first to finish breakfast, Bea excused herself as she found herself sitting on the bench outside. From the distance she could see great mountains, a barn and the roof peaks of old styled buildings, a lake not too far away either. There seemed to be plenty of activities and maybe she could get some more alone time with Nikolai. After all, Charlie and Vera's own rivalry seemed to occupy both of their heads.

After eating breakfast and washing up, Nikolai decided to follow after Bea. He left Vera and Charlie alone, probably not a good idea, but he too wished for some alone time with his not-girlfriend. He found her outside, enjoying the scenery. Nikolai himself was less interested in that, but more in Bea. He'd lived in Russia for the past twenty-six years of his life, but this was the first time he'd been able to learn about a foreigner Or at least, she's the only one who stuck around the longest for him to learn about.

"Let's go on a walk," he whispered softly in her ear and clasped her hand within his own. Without much of a reply, Nikolai dragged her away into the garden. He led her past several beautiful areas, with only one main destination in mind. The duo walked in sync, their footsteps matching each other's stride. After several minutes of walking in silence the two came upon a fountain of an angel. Surrounding the fountain was flowers of various types and colors ranging from blue to red.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Nikolai held his hands at his side, gesturing to the area. It was like he was proud to show off this place, and he was. Often, Nikolai came here as a child. It was full of his nostalgic memories and happy thoughts. He shoot a cheeky smile at Bea and laced their fingers together once more.

He led her over to one of the three ruined stone benches surrounding the fountain. There were vines beginning to scale the side of the bench legs, but overall, the thing was still suitable to sit on. He sat Bea down and leaned in for a kiss, taking the advantage of the moment. It was a short, yet a powerful kiss-- full of dramatic passion but a soft & sweet aftertaste.

"So," Nikolai said cheekily, "what do you think of Russia?"

Bea stared in awe, there weren't things like this in England. Heck everywhere she went in England was so crowded or tiny. It was nice to get away from that now that she was in Russia where the plains rolled endlessly and freedom felt like sugar. It was pretty impressive, plus as a bonus, her Russian dialect was slowly developing, becoming more fluent and accurate in pronunciation and grammatical structure.

Mhmmm ... those where her thoughts when he kissed her. She loved every single one but by the looks of him, he had enough practice to last a lifetime. She wanted to know every deep secret he hid, everything below that surface. She wanted to make him speechless, to make him flustered. Staring up at him, she felt like she was living in a fairy tale. Where he was the prince, she was the princess and they would get their 'happily ever after' but it was too early to tell. Bea didn't want to raise her hopes up. She liked him, check. Did she love him? Blank.

"It's big, it's got a cozy warmth despite the cold... plus Russia introduced me to you so...Yeah it's wonderful." She said with a coy smile.

She ended up rambling on about her life back in England. The dreary weather, the constant rain. It wasn't bad, just quite gloomy. In England, everything was compacted together, making her feel like a caged bird. Under her father's careful watch, it was hard to get away with most things. She was lucky this time. At least he approved of her trip. Soon enough she began to open up to her past relationships, everyone ending with out much of a heart break. She couldn't explain it but ... her relationships just simply ended. There weren't many heartbreaks or tears. Only a few to that exception. Which she kept a secret. Pouring out her dreams and goals of becoming a psychologist. Her reasons for a job like that... well she liked to learn about people and understand their feelings and emotions.

Finally ending her rant, Bea had cupped his face with her small dainty hands, her lips softly against his. It lasted for so long, so sweet and intense. A mix of emotions hidden there.

The man merely smiled back at her as she pulled away from her sugary sweet kiss. Bea was really too cute for her own good. Nikolai had felt quite proud when the woman complimented Russia, even if it technically wasn't "his". It just made his heart flutter softly when she expressed her awe of the placed he'd grown up for the past twenty-six years of his life.

"So," he breathed out heavily, expressing his content mood. "I suppose we should go back and make sure our siblings haven't stabbed each other with cutlery." The man really would have liked to remain in the garden to make-out with Bea some more, but knowing Charlie and Vera, that was not a brilliant idea.

The male lead her by the hand once again, not failing to notice how small and fragile this Englishwoman appeared to be. It was extremely unfitting to her brash personality, but that's what made her quite the delight. Everything she did was something you would least expect. She was strong, unlike the other woman, and that was enough to make Nikolai trip over his emotions. He hoped that Bea would be the one to "break" his little curse: the inability to love. There was no promising that though. Every person Nikolai has loved screwed him over in the end, or he brought them great grief and depression. He would give up everything for he to be the one, though.

Nikolai snapped out of his swirling thoughts when he reached the hotel. Vera and Charlie had long since disappeared, as signaled by the empty chairs and clean table. He restrained himself from making some form of double-meaning sentence and instead, led Bea back up to their rooms. The duo were just about to flitter off into their rooms when Nikolai realized he really did not want to part with her yet.

"How about you hang out in my room for a bit?" He smiled down at Bea dumbly. For a moment, he felt like punching himself in the face at the way he worded that sentence. He didn't have any bad intentions, at least not yet (oh god). All he wanted was some extreme cuddling and talking like they usually did every night. The two hadn't spent the night with each other in quite a bit.

Figuring that she might as well listen to him she followed behind. She wasn't exactly the most excited to re-enter the world of bickering and fighting with her brother and his sister. They were both equally headstrong and often great at creating scenes. She sighed, wondering if they really mutually hated each other or if it was just a start of a blossoming relationship.

Just as he mentioned hanging out in his room she stared at him for a second until she ended up bursting in laughter. Just by his expression, she could tell that he regret the formation of his words. Of course, he felt guilty for implying another meaning. With a sing song voice she whispered maybe. Her eyes glittered with mischief and playfulness. As her stomach grumbled again, she found herself wandering back into the kitchen.

Eating the left over of the breakfast, she finally felt satisfied Like most dignified ladies would care about calories and weight, those were things that Bea never even bothered worrying about. All her life she had been fed with food almost 24/7 and yet still retained a fast metabolism. Apparently her own mother carried similar traits which allowed her to lose weight a bit quicker than the norm. Sighing with content and stretching for a bit. Bea found herself awakening to the loud voices of Charlie and Vera.

"You got the wrong bread!" Vera cried while smacking him with the shopping bags in her hand.

"I don't know breads from bread." Charlie replied with annoyance, ignoring his slap.

As Bea watched in secrecy, her mouth hung agape when Charlie of course, went and kissed Vera. Under his breath he muttered "now shut up woman and leave me alone to my manly things" while walking off without a care in the world. Vera on the other hand looked pissed, looking ready to smack Charlie. Bea couldn't help but chuckle to herself. Their relationship reminded the start of her own with Nikolai. However there were gradually less arguments and such. More indulgence.

The piece of toast Nikolai held between his teeth fell to the ground as he stared at the scene between his sister and Charlie. He became slowly, but surely, pissed at what Bea's brother had done to Vera; although, if he were to protest against the other man's actions... well, it would make him a hypocrite. Instead, he shamefully picked the dirtied bread from the floor and tried to nonchalantly throw it in the garbage.

His sister on the other hand, was not so casual about the whole ordeal. Plucking an egg from one of the cartons in the bag, the short woman drew back her hand and attempted to snipe it at the back of Charlie's head. She, of course, missed by a long shot. The egg exploded a few inches from the back his shoes. Some of the yolk did caress the rubber lining on his soles, but it was enough for Vera to place a look of triumph across her features. She settled a smirk onto her lips and crossed her arms as if to say: "that's what you get, jerk." One glare from Charlie was enough to momentarily paralyze her. Vera glanced pleadingly at Nikolai whom did nothing to help her situation. Taking the cheap way out, she turned around and ran for the bathroom.

Once the lovebird's siblings dispersed themselves from the room, Nikolai turned to face Bea who had secretly watched the whole thing from the corner of the room. "Anyways," he shifted his gaze to the side, "I've been invited to a ball, and I would be honored if you joined me as my date." He added a bow for more dramatization.

Usually, Nikolai would go to balls by himself. Girls -of all ages- tended to swarm him like bees to honey. All in all, those fancy dances always turned out dreadfully boring. He figured that if Bea went with him...then maybe it would turn out more fun than they had been in the past? He knew she might deny. After all, she despised anything remotely fancy and escaped here to get away from all of that. To sway her even more, Nikolai beamed a very puppy dog like smile down at her.

A ball. At first the straight up answer would have been a 'NO'. But considering the fact that she didn't want to be stuck in a house with the dangerous rivalry of the two lovers, she might as well escape. Plus his charming smile wooed her into agreeing. She was a bit hesitant but she said yes while he beamed with joy. Sure, most of the time they were stuffy and annoying. With 'proper manners' everywhere, she just found it to be like a headache, throbbing at her head as she pretended to smile among guests she didn't give a damn about.

Attempting to bond with Vera, as well as letting her get away from the trouble making brother of hers, she decided to go dress shopping. Though town wasn't the most modern place and such, they found a quaint boutique that actually supplied some label brands. Considering the fact that it was a ball, Bea needed something over the top. After trying on about twenty gowns within the hour, Bea was still unsatisfied. Most of the colors and styles looking mainstream and typical. That was until her eye caught onto something. It was perfect. Beautiful and great for showing off her curves. Bea had to admit, it was quite fun hanging around Vera without Charlie or Nikolai to hassle her. Though when she tried to bring up the topic of Charlie, Vera's cheeks turned pink while her eyes narrowed in anger. Bea simply nodded while smiling just a bit.

By night fall, Bea had spent about a hour pampering herself. She didn't like doing it most of the time. Usually she would just throw some makeup on and let her hair lay in it's natural curls. However, tonight she would be going with Nikolai and it would be beyond special. The gown she had bought and worn was in a light shade of white and rosy pink. It was strapless with a v neck plunge showing enough cleavage. The bottom part of the dress had embezzled silver sparkles cascading from the waste. The fabric layered together to look like a rose. It wasn't over the top but it made Bea look pure and sweet. On her ears were small tear drop pearls and her shoes were about two inches high, bright red.

Making her way down to the living room she smiled and murmured...

"Shall we go?"

Behind her she could hear her brother cursing about how inappropriate she looked. However with one glare from Bea, he shut his trap. Vera on the other stood faraway at the opposite end of the room, complimenting their appearances and avoiding her eyes from Charlie.

Nikolai's face held a little surprise at first, but dread soon filled his blood once he realize most men would be feasting their lusty eyes upon Bea. That pleasant thought did not settle in his stomach properly. The household shuffled into the limousine; Vera made sure to squish herself between Bea and Nikolai. She could of almost hugged Bea, as her dress acted as a perfect, pink barricade. Heh.

They arrived in style. There was no denying that everyone's breath hitched as they spotted the Romanavs and Fontaines. The men's eyes drifted hungrily over Vera in her little black dress and Bea in her breathtaking ball gown. The women, on the other hand, flipped their fans over their faces to keep Charlie and Nikolai from noticing their blushes. They whispered to one another, their eyes following the two men everywhere. Nikolai couldn't be more uninterested.

Good god, did she just have to make herself this beautiful? Nikolai was chatting with a few old "buddies", not failing to notice their gazes drifting skillfully unnoticeable upon Bea and her cleavage. He clenched his jaw slightly as he spoke, making sure of it that they knew that he knew they were trying to sneak a peak at his date. His eyes held a silent murderous glare that screamed at them to stop looking. Maybe Nikolai was being a little possessive, perhaps even jealous, but wouldn't anyone be in a situation such as this?

He wanted to kiss her, desperately in front of all these people. He wanted to show them that Bea was his, and his alone. But Nikolai restrained himself. He didn't want to deflower the gorgeous rose. Instead, he whisked her away to dance. Anyone who dared ask to cut in was sent away by Vera. She would strut over with a smoldering gaze to cover up her acutal dark glare. Nikolai's sister wasn't having any of these stupid men's shit. She finally accepted Beatrice and wouldn't let her escape now. (Not that Bea had to know she passed her test. With flying colors, too.)

"Did I tell you that you look beautiful tonight?" Nikolai asked Beatrice in a low whisper as the duo spun around the dance floor. They were in tune to the slow music, dancing lightly on their feet. Those two, of course, stole the spotlight with their graceful steps.

"And you're a charming prince..." She murmured with a soft smile.

There she danced, feeling like a princess. Everyone else just disappeared as she focused on Nikolai. He was a skillful dancer, equal in her own footsteps. The two figures graced across the floors like a perfect pair of a princess and prince. Bea could feel the gaze of others watching her but in the moment she shrugged it off. As the dance sadly ended she excused herself, not that she didn't want to dance... Her shoes just gave her pain and the more she danced the higher chances of blisters.

Wandering around the grand house, she found herself in one of the hallways gazing at every haunting portrait hanging onto the wall. The music trailed far away, a distant tune. Just as she thought she was all alone. She heard a familiar voice. Her stomach churned like a violent sea. Thomas Cromwell ... the guy who she dated for three years. The guy she knew since she was a childhood. The guy that had proposed to her. The guy that broke off their engagement within six months. And parted ways ... Oh how much she hated him.

"I didn't think I would see you here ..." Thomas said softly staring at her like a entranced bird.

"I'm simply here with my, my ... boyfriend." Bea said murmuring the words, tasting them. Strange, unique but flavorful.

Just as she was about to turn around and leave, he had gripped her wrist too quickly. Pulling her up to him.

"I just wanted to say, I was wrong about us. I was wrong. I know you're dating but don't you remember the times we spent together. After these two years I realized what I lost. Forget about the one who brought you. Will you try again for us?" He pleaded, his blue eyes staring at her with hidden force.

Anger boiled inside of her and she pushed him away. "Don't you ever dare touch me. I might have forgive you but I will never, trust you again."

"Beatrice Fontaine, don't you realize that every relationship you had ... you've ended up closing yourself off? You know I'll always wait for you Bea, no matter the time." He called after her as she fled.

Running until she found a dark corner, the music a bit louder but still faint. She sat down, her eyes watery but no tears fell. There was no reason to cry over his lies. But a part of her wondered ... Yet her conscious told her that she couldn't part away from Nikolai. She had him. Yet from the past few weeks she endured the woman who kept coming again and again. With memories of the past and these new stories written in the present, it could break or heal her relationship. And so there she remained, sitting in her finery but her face remained grim, like that of Cinderella's before her transformation. She was suppose to be by Nikolais side, happy and smiling. She was supposed to ...

He had followed her; a bad idea from the start. At first glance, the man would appear to be some creepy stalker in the corner. His intentions had been better than they appeared. He had noticed how she tripped over her feet when she walked and how the back of her soles were red. He had only wanted help and ease the pain in her feet by carrying her back to the limousine princess-style. Bit by bit, his fantasy shattered into a stormy rage.

Nikolai was pissed.

Instead of popping out of his hiding spot, Nikolai clenched the wine glass in his hands until his nails dug into his skin hard enough to draw blood. He didn't follow the bastard who dare to make his 'girlfriend' cry, nor did he follow after Bea to ease her mental state. The previously content mask on his face fell to pieces as a dark glare loomed on his face. Not only was it his expression that held a 'keep away' look, it was his entire posture. Arms crossed, head turned to the side-- signals of a terrible mood.

"Broder," Vera came over within a few minutes. She always knew when something was wrong. Always, without fail. "What's wrong?" He relayed her the information he had witnessed-- every single detail. His sister's face contorted into a look of disgust. At first, she had gotten the wrong idea about Beatrice. She assumed it was her whom was at fault, but after quick clarification, she soon realized it had been that horrendous man. "They seemed close," Nikolai glanced down at the watch on his wrist. 11:34 p.m. "Especially the ' I know you're dating but don't you remember the times we spent together.' part." He mocked the male's much higher pitched voice. Vera glanced up at her brother from underneath her eyelashes. A smirk was settled upon her face as she spoke, "perhaps you've fallen in love with Ms. Fontaine?"

"No," he snapped, glaring down at the impudent woman with a clenched jaw. After more brooding and deep thoughts, he apologized. "At least, not yet." Vera's face softened at the pain that lay underneath his cold expression. "If you hurt this bad, just imagine Beatrice's feelings. She too, was insulted." The woman attempted to hug her kin, but being a whole foot shorter made that difficult. "Now go, I refuse to let you mope while your princess is crying." She nudged him in the hips with her own.

Nikolai nodded, lightening up immensely. Cheekily, he said, "then why don't you save your prince from the beasts?" He flicked an index finger out to the direction of Charlie. He was surrounded by numerous women all giggling and blushing. Nikolai merely got a stiletto thrown at his head.

The Russian man shuffled off sheepishly with a 'thank you' directed at the flustered woman. His mind snapped back into the reality of this situation. He checked his watch once more: 11:41 p.m.

Nikolai returned to where he had witnessed the 'crime scene'. He looked in the direction Beatrice ran off, and followed the trail to a dark, depressing corner. As sobbing sounds and hiccups hit his eardrum, anger built up into the pit of this stomach, gnawing away at his gut. He wanted revenge so badly, but for Beatrice's sake, he wouldn't do anything too stupid. "Bea..." He breathed out her name, crouching down by her side. "I'm here for you."

He placed his large hand upon her small head, patting it like she was some lost puppy. After a few minutes of sitting there in an awkward silence, Nikolai stopped patting her and decided to hug her. He always had been terrible at comforting sobbing people. An idea floated into his head as he cradled the woman. The thought of this brilliant plan hit his emotions like a truck. "Mm, come with me." This wasn't a suggestion; it was a demand. Nikolai picked her up by the arm and dragged her back into the ballroom, ignoring her protests. As the clock drew near to 11:50 p.m.

Nikolai approached the band in front of the room. With one look and a crying girl hanging off his arm, they scattered.

"Excuse me," he spoke loudly into one of the microphones, drawing almost everyone's attention. One does not simply ignore the Nikolai Romanav. "You see this woman here? Well, yes, of course you do. Her name would be Beatrice Fontaine: my date." As he said the word 'date' he shot a nasty glare at all the men. Beatrice, on the other hand, was flustered and embarrassed at everyone staring at her while tears poured unattractively down her face. Nikolai still thought she was adorable.

"You see, my lovely date is crying. Not by me though. I would never do such a disgusting thing as to make a woman cry." At the moment, Nikolai pin-pointed the man whom he saw in the dark of that corridor. He presented the man with a sickening smile. "She was blindsided by an arrogant man who thinks he can steal her away from me. She was insulted by him, and he made her cry. That's a despicable thing to do, wouldn't you say?" Some members of the crowd nodded while others glanced in curiosity towards the man Nikolai seemed to speaking directly to.

He changed his gaze to Vera. She was smiling like a madman, her eyes glinting with a proudness that a dad held for a son. 'Get him.' Nikolai mouthed to his sister. She simply nodded and made her way through the crowds of bodies. Within a few moments, she was behind the man. He had long since paled and broke out into a cold sweat. Without much of a fight he was dragged up into the front of the room.

"This is the man, the man who dared to mentally harm a woman." Some boo-ed while one woman screamed out 'how was he supposed to win that Fontaine girl with those looks'?

Finally lashing out against his public shaming, the man retorted, "I will not be disgrac--!!"

"Shut up." Nikolai spoke with an intense glare. He handed the man his own microphone to the trembling 'man'. "Apologize to Beatrice." As the other male tried to protest, Vera shot him an ugly smile. "Now."

He stood in his shoes, humiliated and completely blown away. All of Russian nobility had witnessed this scene, and they probably would gossip about it for weeks. The clock ticked on. Everyone was impatiently waiting to hear those two words. He put up a good fight, but when you have famous, rich people boring their angered eyes into your body, you start to break down. "I-I'm sorry." He squeaked. Once the words had left his lips, the man ran away from the onlooking gazes. The room was silent for a long while. A good five minutes, at least. Suddenly, Nikolai's lips twitched into a dumb smile that melted the icy atmosphere.

"...You're my girlfriend, huh?" With a satisfied look, he leaned down and planted a sweet kiss onto her lips. 12:00 a.m. Somewhere else in the room, the band had started up again, playing a light, airy song that matched Nikolai's very own feelings. Vera smiled and clapped her hands while somewhere out in the crowd you could hear Charlie spewing his wine and yelling at Nikolai to "get off his sister, that damn wanker!"

Bea was surprised by the flashes of events that had occurred before her. Even though she felt bad for Thomas, he did deserve it. She remembered the date of their breaking engagement. That was right, it was a lovely day. She was going dress shopping with her mother and a few friends. They were all gushing over how excited they were. But then as they finished eating lunch and her phone rang, the news dropped onto her shoulders like dead weight. She spent a month refusing to come out of her room. Confused and heart broken. Her friends tried to encourage her but it failed. It was true, Bea kept herself confined in her room, ignoring her family members and friends. That was until she decided to stop putting herself in her own misery and live a life. Forget him and prove to him that he would regret it. And so tonight, she couldn't help but smile just a bit.

A bit embarrased but flattered with Nikolais statement she found herself being carried by him. In her own hands she held her red shoes, hating the soreness it brought upon her feet. They were outside and away from all the chaos. There they were sitting on the bench. She leaned into his shoulder. Staring out to the horizon. Looking down from the hill top she saw the little shops being lit up with lights. It glowed like a city but it remained quaint and romantic. Above the skyline the stars simply glowed like huge Christmas lights. The air was breezy and the temperature warm.

"Thank you for today... and yes I'll be yours so long as you'll have me." She said ignoring the cliche meaning.

Turning her head up up she could see the outline of his jaw perfectly. Pulling her arms around his neck more tightly and leaning forward, she kissed him. Unlike a few weeks ago, this time, it was out of willingness and desire. Despite the urge inside of her heart wanting, no craving, for more... her mind told her to logically wait. Remain in pure bliss and explore nothing more. In the back of her mind she threw out the feelings and emotions Thomas had caused her. It was time to seriously let go. But that one sentence stuck out like a sore thumb, refusing to budge. Beatrice Fontaine, don't you realize that every relationship you had ... you've ended up closing yourself off?

Telling herself to stop thinking, she indulged in that moment. Letting herself smile with happiness. Parting with his lips she suddenly heard an interruption of noise not too far off. Her eyes stared at the familiar petite figure of Vera and the giantess of Charlie. Plus the glittery black beads reflected in the light and Charlies glistening blond hair seemed to shine. She simply gawked in surprise. For they were sneaking around and looking as if they were up to something ... bad.

"Well, I saw this coming." She said with a bemused grin.

The two figures soon disappeared off into the building together. Charlie had managed to sneak in another kiss while Vera seemed happy to take it. Despite the curse that followed afterwords.

They'll learn eventually, no matter how many times they tried... they'll eventually get it perfect. Yeah, the confusing game of love. The words sinking in with deep meaning and logical truth.

Deciding to take up their opportunity Bea had returned to kissing him. Her hands cupping his face. Her hair falling loose upon her shoulders and brushing against his cheeks. She was falling deeper into a black hole - no - a red hole ... deeper feelings were beginning to string along the beats of her heart. Just being with him made her feel, strange. It was unusual but it made her feel beyond joyful. Maybe it was love ... maybe it was ...

He raised Bea's head so their gazes met. Irritation only struck his nerves when he realized that she was still looming over previous comments, or so he assumed. She may have been smiling but her eyes were clouded with thoughts. "Hey," he released her face with an almost saddened look, "don't worry about what he said okay? I don't have intentions of letting you go so easily." Nikolai smirked, leaning in for a kiss. All he wanted to do was make her happy, but it seemed like she was refusing to cooperate.

"Bea, I'm also honestly sorry for dragging you here, I know I shouldn't have. I knew how much you dislike things from your past life, and I certainly did not expect that guy to be attending either. Please forgive me?" He pulled away from her, and instead wrapped her into a warm hug.

Nikolai clung onto her for as long as he could without seeming weird. He then took Bea's hands into his own and led her back to the limousine. "Let's go home now," he spoke with a radiant look, "home-home, I mean." A nice long bath sounded nice, and so did sleeping in his own bed. Even the old creaky floorboards put a sense of homesickness in Nikolai's gut.

[Asdfghjkl, sorry it's short, Zee~]

So apparently he was serious. They were really going "home". And so as they arrived back at the old couples house they notified the two that they would be returning home. They simply asked the old couple to deliver the news to Charlie and Vera. And so Bea began packing her bags, putting away the evening gown. Looking at the soft pink fabric and the beautiful glittering details, she was going to keep this dress for sentimental value maybe. Dressing herself more warmly, she dragged her luggage to the front door. Their rented car sat at the pavement while a black car came to pick the two and drop them off at the airport. Since money wasn't a problem and driving another 6 hours back would kill their stamina, they were going to take a three hour flight.

On the private jet, Bea rested herself seeing that the time was already past three. She knew she would be in some form of jet lag but whatever. Patting down her curly hair and lounging on the comforter, she fell asleep with roaming dreams. At six in the morning she was woken up by the sound of the flight attendant. They had arrived back home and the sky was still dark. Drowsily, Bea found herself leaning onto Nikolai for balance. The familiar butler arrived with a cheery good morning while opening the car door for both. Still tired and being a night owl, Bea found her head resting on Nikolais shoulder as she went back to sleep yet again. Too sleepy to say a single word.

By the time they got home it was already eight. And Bea had woken up feeling much better. Rushing inside for the warmth of the familiar mansion, she found the dining table already decked out in breakfast meals. Eating tiny portions, Bea excused herself as she found her room again. Showering and rinsing, she finally felt more awake and refreshed. Wearing a black tank top and black - white polka dotted camisole, she matched it with a pair of red rain boots and a pair of faded skinny jeans. Her hair was let out loosely and she carefully applied some cream for skin moisture. She walked out of her room looking for Nikolai.

"Grandma, no, I am not getting married," Nikolai spoke in a hushed voice, attempting to shut his door in the face of an elderly woman. Unlike her outside appearance, this woman had the strength of about ten men twice her size. "No, grandma, you cannot come in." This time, Nikolai began speaking in rapid Russian while the figure outside the house pushed heavily on the door, causing the poor man to stumble and trip over the 'welcome' rug. His grandmother, seemingly glaring holes through the door, merely pushed harder on the heavy double doors, sending the Russian man flying to his doom.

"No, Grandma, go back to your car and leave!" He dearly attempted to regain his manhood. It would have been embarrassing for Nikolai to be caught by Bea, or anyone for that matter, so pushed down by an old woman.

The first thing to notice about her was the dress in her right hand. It was a pure white ballgown, with beading at the chest area that slowly dispersed the lower down it got to the waist. A big, soft ivory bow separated the top from the bottom, giving it an elegant design. The dress was simple, but that's how Nikolai's grandmother liked it. Not to mention it was her own dress at the time of her wedding. The dress was also worn by Nikolai's mother, as well. It had sentimental value, much the the necklace that paired with the dress. It was the Romanav heirloom passed through generations of woman who adorned the Romanav title after marrying into the family. The necklace had a silver chain, and one single pendant hanging down from it; a jewel encrusted locket that could only be unlocked with the key the husband held until death.

In the woman's other hand was a cat. A cat that stared through Nikolai with soulless green eyes. They were haunting, especially since the cat was pitch black.

The woman herself stood like Vera, cold and intimidating; however, unlike her granddaughter, this old woman was not to be reckoned with. She would not so easily be unfrozen by 'petty things such as emotion'. Nikolai swallowed the lump stuck in his throat. Of course, his grandmother would have eventually showed up, but he couldn't have guessed this early in his relationship with Beatrice. For fuck's sake, they just started dating officially!

Bea was just reading a book in the library while enjoying her peace. Charlie and Vera had apparently given the two of them the "who the hell cares if you ditch us, we're going to have fun" speech over the phone. Bea only smirked, wondering how long the two would last without tearing at each others throats. As one of the maids rushed up and beckoned her down the stairs, Bea set the book aside. Walking down wearing a black vest and shorts with black tights, you watched Nikolai being dominated by yet another female.

The old woman had whitish gray hair but she had the figure of a strong bull. She pushed Nikolai carelessly aside. Bea stared stunned by the dress she was holding her hand. It was a beautiful old fashioned wedding dress but Bea wasn't ready. She had just begun a relationship with Nikolai and it was no where near the fact that they would marry. But considering the fact that Nikolai didn't trust many girls and the ones that stayed didn't last too long, Bea could see why the old woman was in a rush.

Mustering courage and taking a deep breath, Bea greeted the old woman with her brightest smile. Speaking in slow and fluid russian, she introduced herself as she glanced over at Nikolai who seemed a bit flustered. The old woman smiled at her while patting her hands. Speaking something in quick slurred Russian Bea merely nodded her head having no idea what the old woman said. Later on she caught one word and it was "try, try", the old woman held out the dress as if it was a prized treasure.

Nodding with respect, Bea quickly left the two and decided to please the old women by dressing in the gown. It didn't feel right in that moment. Just simply strange. The fabric was soft against her skin and she shyly entered back again. The old woman smiled, her eyes glowing and her cheeks flushing with pride. "Beautiful" She kept repeating within the thick Russian accent.

"Thank you" Bea said modestly. Looking over at Nikolai for directions on what to do next.

Nikolai smiled apologetically towards Bea and mouthed, 'I'm sorry'. He glanced towards his grandmother, who was busy putting the necklace around Bea's neck. "You look beautiful, thought." If not beautiful to other eyes, they couldn't deny the word 'stunning' to being applied here. However, Bea could be the most gorgeous thing in the world but nothing would compare to how awkward her panic-stricken face looked.

He felt bad. Really, he did. But, Nikolai just couldn't help the laughter that spilled from his mouth. She look absolutely hilarious. He knew that anyone would have felt weird in a wedding dress while their lover was watching, but the way Bea's face contorted was too cute.

Nikolai excused himself as she changed back into casual wear. It only took her a few minutes to change, as his grandmother stepped out of the room moments later. Her face looked as if she had something to say, but if anything was on the old woman's mind, she didn't voice it. "Now, now for the cake." The elderly woman tapped her head. Bea appeared to be heavily distraught by what she just said.

The Russian male rubbed his temples in annoyance. His family was seriously going to be the death of him. He sat up properly and with a calm voice spoke, "Grandmother, don't you think it's a bit rude to be rushing into all of this without the 'couple's' consent. What if my dear, uhm, love wanted to arrange our marriage? Wouldn't that make you feel guilty for planning it?"

She glanced at him with a sharp look, and only replied with the word 'no'. Nikolai let out a heavy sigh, and put his head into his hands. There must've been a reason why this bat was trying so hard to marry Nikolai off. Probably something along the lines of her death drawing nearer, but that was no reason to prematurely rush your grandson into marriage.

Bea nervously smiled as she glared at Nikolai for a second. It wasn't that funny, it was simply weird. Plus wearing the wedding dress made her feel a bit uncomfortable. Nothing serious had happened and yet there she was, standing in a white dress like one of those mannequins. By the sound of things, his grandmother was attempting to rush things along with the two of them. Bea heard her mutter something about great grandchildren which brought a blush onto Bea's cheeks as her eye brows furrowed with confusion and shyness.

Grandma had taken something out yet again and it was an old veil with pearls adorned. It was long and flowly. She was surprised by the amount of stuff she had brought. Deciding to give into what grandma wanted, she stood there feeling a bit ridiculous. Though the doors swung open with Charlie and Vera. Charlie seemed slightly irritated while Vera ignored him, her head held high and the sunglasses on her face giving an air of coolness. Vera quickly appeared among them speaking to grandma separately as Charlie only looked with mixed bemusement and annoyance. As a few minutes passed by and grandma reappeared, she was ranting about something related to Vera's only personal life, like a relationship. The old woman complained about the fact that her most beloved two grandchildren were still single and unmarried. After all, she was old in age and had so long. She demanded for her great grandchildren. Charlie was about to say something until he froze. Judging by grandmas fearful look, he shut up.

Bea remained helpless in the heap of white. What the hell was she going to do. Marriage was too soon and her father would kill her. She would only be allowed to marry with his consent after all. It was tradition to get a blessing. Though looking at Nikolai for a second, well she didn't mind marrying him. However, their relationship still hung on a thin strand and nothing could be certain about the two at the point.

Excusing herself, Bea dragged Nikolai away.

"So what's your plan? Or are we really going to get married to satsify your grandmother." Bea said, her eyebrows arched and her arms crossed.