E3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, time for impressions on the rest.

Notes
  1. If I skip a title, it just means I couldn't find much to say about it, positively or negatively. It's just... there.
  2. Prior Iwaku Game thread experience tells me some people here get really emotional/offended/triggered when certain games get critiqued. Be warned I'm not nice to a number of games here, and I won't be acknowledging anyone I find is just trying to pick a fight with me for what my impressions of them are.
@Microsoft
  • This continued trend of no gameplay for Battlefield 1 has me worried. Especially considering how Hardline and Battlefront turned out.
  • Another Final Fantasy, that's nothing like the originals at all. They really need to just start a new franchise already (I know FF has the popular name brand, but so many people don't even look at FF anymore).
  • Recore might be decent, but I'm expecting a number of these bots to be very circumstantial and specific in use.
  • Inside... What the hell is this game about even? Like seriously, can't you tell us SOMETHNG?
  • We Happy Few looks interesting, I'll be following this one.
  • Company brags about being independent... Announces a Witcher Card Game. *Slow Clap* Really independent guys... >.<
  • So we finally got gameplay of Scalebound and not Pixar like animation. My impression of this game has suddenly shifted from "Don't give a shit" to "Might be good, will be following".
  • Sea of Thieves looks like Guns of Icarus in the Sea. Assuming this is a 20-30$ title I'd be up for trying this out.
  • State of Decay 2 looks like they might finally be adding a ton of features the first one seemed to nudge towards, but then never deliver on. Will need to follow this one to confirm.
  • Halo Wars 2... Normally I'd throw more shit at 343, but the original one was also Bungie's weakest so I can't give 343 much flak this time... Though the army colours suddenly make convincing looking armies look cartoonish. Seriously, I feel like people will always need to play this as "Covenant = Blue, UNSC = Green" to keep up a decent art style.
@PC Gamer
  • Oooooooh Shit! Mount and Blade 2! :D
  • Oh, and other titles I can't really remember anymore.
  • EDIT! Dawn of War 3, looks similar to the other two right now... But strategy games have enough going on that I'm going to need to see more than that to know if it's a buy or not.
@Ubisoft
  • Odd Dance number, though I'd rather of seen something about the game itself.
  • South Park seems to have it's clever writing as usual. :)
  • More Division DLC? Who wants to bet the actual DLC will look NOTHING like what they're showing?
  • Eagle Flight... Ok, you're birds, who fight over a dead rabbit. And you spit at each other? Is this a whole game? Please tell me this is just an Arcade Title.
  • Star Trek, I'd have been really skeptical of this one (still am a bit). But the fact they got Star Trek cast members to try it out who ended up really enjoying it? That gives it some credit at least. Will need to follow this one (even if I don't have VR).
  • Blood Dragon is... Playing as a kid playing with action figures to do... Stuff? I'm completely lost here, can someone try to explain what this game was meant to be about?
  • Watch Dogs 2? Same thing as Division, who wants to take bets it will look NOTHING like what they're showing?
  • And then there's Steep. I imagine EA is filled with jealousy now with how much of a sports boner they tend to have, but then it's Ubisoft who decided to take it to open world. XD I don't really see this game going far, at all... But I like the image of EA freaking out over something Ubisoft did. :P
@Sony
  • The Last Guardian. Same thing I said for Microsoft's Recore. Might be good, but I can for see a lot of limited use and railroading.
  • Finally got game footage of Horizon. I'm a bit skeptical on this one with it's gameplay seeming so similar to other not so great titles. But the concept seems awesome, will need to follow this one.
  • Detroit becomes human... Investigation and Negotiation game, THAT is a concept I would love to play. Though this style of game is also very hit and miss so I'll likely be waiting for others to test it out first. (Also, first negotiation on the trailer was... bad. "You Sir! You have a hostage and therefore the upper hand! I order you to give up! No don't kill the girl! Shit... Now how did that happen?".
  • Star Wars VR? This look really coo... Aaaand its Battlefront! >.<
  • Farpoint looks like it might be good... REALLY need more info on this one first though.
  • Lego Star Wars? Hey, don't they not talk? Maybe the games story will be better than the movies! :D Oh wait... Lego started talking in recent years, never mind! :(
  • Death Stranding... So we got naked Daryl... With a Baby, surrounded with dead fish and... oil? Is this an environmental game?

So, over all?
With the six conferences I'd have to rank them as the following (best to worst).
  1. Microsoft
  2. PC Gaming
  3. Sony
  4. Ubisoft
  5. Bethesda
  6. EA
I was expecting Bethesda to be higher, and Ubisoft to be fighting with EA over last or second last.
Buuut... Ubisoft did actually have a few potentially good titles in there. While Bethesda? It was more just DLC and Remaster advertising for them, not really anything new other than Dishonored 2.
EA unsurprisingly takes last though, they seemed to be the only one's where the concept of showing GAMEplay for their videoGAMES fell on deaf ears.
Sony had theirs? I must have missed it...I thought it was today. Did they show anything amazing? KH or more Horizon?

Sony had theirs? I must have missed it...I thought it was today. Did they show anything amazing? KH or more Horizon?
They started at 9PM EST, rather late.

Not sure what KH stands for, but nothing in Sony's line-up matches with that acronym.
You can check the list here though just in case.

As for Horizon? Yea, they showed some gameplay of it.
It was a lot of running around and shooting different types of arrows at machine animals, as well as aiming for certain weak points.
You loot metal parts off of their corpses, probably for a sort of crafting system.

They showed a bit of dialogue, they're going the usual dialogue wheel style.
And they also showed a 'Beast Taming' trick which is basically hacking the creatures... brain? Hard Drive? Motherboard? Something, and then it's friendly and lets you ride it (and do mounted archery).

Edit: Just dawned on me that KH likely means Kingdom Hearts. In which case no, nothing mentioned in that regard at all.

Not sure what KH stands for, but nothing in Sony's line-up matches with that acronym.

It was a lot of running around and shooting different types of arrows at machine animals, as well as aiming for certain weak points.
You loot metal parts off of their corpses, probably for a sort of crafting system.

And they also showed a 'Beast Taming' trick which is basically hacking the creatures... brain? Hard Drive? Motherboard? Something, and then it's friendly and lets you ride it (and do mounted archery).

Edit: Just dawned on me that KH likely means Kingdom Hearts. In which case no, nothing mentioned in that regard at all.

Oops, sorry. KH meaning Kingdom Hearts haha. Man, I'm kinda sad that Spider-Man game is PS4 Exclusive 3: but whatever, it's just cool that my beloved Web-Head is getting another game, and it actually LOOKS good! I say that because some of the others looked good but turned out not to be.

Horizon Dawn is the most interesting game for me on Sony's end, right next to The Last Guardian anyway. I was wondering what the heckles was the happs' with the game. I wanted to know more about the world it was set in and how the gameplay mechanics would be, and I'm glad they showed it to me finally. I might end up picking up a PS4 at this rate.

All I've learned is that Dishonored 2 is doing things (unenthused woo), Fallout 4 is doing DLC things (*Already got season pass* woo), God of War is back (not that I really care) and that the hype train is not something you wanna get on; it starts out going fast, but by the time it arrives, you realize it was headed towards Disappointment Station.

Oh yeah, and Watchdogs 2 is a thing, though I know that because of it's RAMPANT MARKETING on youtube and their shitty ads that put a link over the skip button or are the 30 second unskippable variety.

tl;dr E3 is a giant hypefest, hype is generally bad and Watchdogs 2 can suck it.

Fallout DLC....

cac.png

Reactions: Grothnor
I'm just going to hunker down over in the corner shouting Half Life! over and over while fist pumping in hopes my wishes will come true. In the mean time I will not be contributing to this thread other than taking up space in the form of a post.

Oh. Oh South Park the Fractured But Whole and more Fallout stuff of course.

DAT ZELDA DOE: DAT FUCKING ZELDA GAME. ITS LIKE THE ADORABLE; TWINKY COUSIN TO WITCHER.

Reactions: Dervish
Also, TotalBiscuit recently made an E3 video where he brought up a good point.

TL;DW
Sony and Microsoft took very different approaches this year. With Sony doing a "Here's a shit ton of Gameplay and minimal talking", meanwhile Microsoft was a lot more ranty, but offered new hardware which could take steps to change the landscape of consoles, including making it get along better with PC and giving console players more ability to customise. But as far as Sony is concerned for hardware stuff they're choosing to distance themselves from PC, evident from their own console exclusive VR.

• Love
Reactions: Waking Nights
Status
Not open for further replies.