CLOSED SIGNUPS e s o t e r i c a || DRY SEASON

PETER O'KEEFE || RIFLEMAN
Their meeting together was eerily reminiscent of last year's gathering. The boat's bar was akin to the Jade Elephant Lounge. The same shifty-eyed, vacant expressions on the others' faces. Much like Flannery, one of the newcomers was utterly seasick, though he lacked the same brazen spirit. Now it was Ana who served the role as drunkard in place of Roland, a fact that Peter noted with chagrin. Déjà vu, as they would say. It was bad luck already.

Peter registered Mr. Locke's identity as the anomaly that it was: a captain just as clueless as the rest of them. It would be the blind leading the blind. Peter's hands clasped and unclasped in his lap, before coming to tap restlessly on the bar counter, his nerves getting the better of him. He wondered why Mr. Green sought fit to hire a captain now, seeing as he'd so enjoyed touting his weight around the year before. And what possible purpose would Andrew serve? Where did Mr. Green fall in, now that this new lad was apparently taking the lead?

As Angelica deflected question after question, the rifleman began to knead his forehead, feeling his pressure rising already. Mr. Green and his young co-conspirator were in much kahoots as they were a year ago. Arrogance defined them; he had expected reckless ignorance to a degree, but the blatant disregard for any signs of otherworldly danger - to understate it greatly - annoyed him.

"Hazard pay...Lord help me. Who's collecting on it, our widows?" Peter said soon after the red-haired man had finished his piece. He cut his eyes at Angelica. "Just a bit of sickness and curses, eh? Just a bit of superstitious nonsense and the like in that book of yours? Is that why you carry it 'round like it's God's truth itself?"

He remembered oh-so distinctly the same young lady nearly knocking him over in her mad pursuit of the same "unimportant" work of fiction. It was not the first time Peter grew resentful of his own illiteracy, as he would have liked nothing more than to pry that book from Angelica's hands and read it himself. "Demons and witches and ghosts and ogres...Nothing worth mentioning, you say," He added derisively. "Now I've truly heard it all.

"It's after a year now. I was fool enough to come back, but I sure haven't feckin' lost all me wits. You two are full of secrets just as before, and if you think we're going to risk life and limb on some flimsy, fru-fru premise with no substance--why, why's now the first time you're telling us what's in that book? Afraid some fellow's gonna wisen up and ask for more money, like Mr. Locke here? Or quit altogether? Huh?

"A year's passed," Peter repeated, "And I'm more at a loss for what we're doing than I was before. You expect shootin' with no target, and I'm inclined to say no. No more withholding things until a bullet's gone through a lad's head. I want to know what your plan is. I want to know what to expect when we enter Siam's jungles. All of it. No bits and pieces neither."

Then it happened. That familiar squeezing in his chest, like pursestrings pulling closed his ribs around his heart. His face tightened, and he paused, taking a deep breath. In moments like these, it helped to drink something, and he downed his glass of rum, wincing.

Tatyana Volkov
Ulterior Ultimatum

"Moye spasibo," Ana muttered as Andrew assisted her to her feet. Damn head injuries: it wasn't heavy, but the small trickle of blood tracing a path down her lip was persistent. Forgoing any proffered handkerchief in favor of merely cleaning her face with the inside of her sleeve, she nodded vigorously are Peter's assertion.

"Details were specifically withheld, last, Mr. Greene. Details which, if they were made known, could have prevented that samoubiystvo!"

Once again, her head began to swim, thanks now in addition to the small blood-loss, which only exacerbated the effects of heat and vodka. The Australian man kept her steady, however, and with little trouble guided her back into her seat. Miraculously, the woman stayed put. Wiping her upper lip once more, paying the streak of blood on her blouse only the briefest glance, Ana turned a tired but exasperated eye from Charles to Angelica. This needed to be different this expedition; she didn't need another Roland on her conscience.

"Chronicler, you brought me on to be, both last and this. The knowledge I record and catalog and interconnect can prepare us for troubles, besides other things.

"But only if I am so provided all the knowledge gathered, written or otherwise. I cannot do this job underequipped."

She leaned against the bartop, her piece said. Her hand bumped a glass, and her gaze followed. Ah: water! Glorious water! The barman had been looking out for her better than he'd let on. Ana snatched the glass and began drinking it gratefully.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Doctor Jax and Kuno
THOMAS "TOM" O'REILLY|| NAVIGATOR

Somewhat reluctantly, Tom nodded at Aussie's response, crossing his arms tightly in front of himself. All of a sudden, a years old thought came to mind as he nodded in confirmation, finding the presented behavior rather awkward himself. Years ago, still a young lad, he had known a smart man. Known. Nowdays he had a hard time remembering even the name, but the image of the Specky four-eyes at the young age of seventy still lingered in his mind, as well as the man's profession. Alienists were a strange lot but never the less a tolerable part of snobbish culture he was enduring back in the days. One time, he was told that the way he crossed his arms served as a barrier to distance himself from whatever he is encountering. And perhaps it was somewhat on point as he now certainly did not feel comfortable about the suddenly cold and ominous tone set for the conversation, although unintentionally so. Curiosity killed the cat, but even so, it was in humanity's nature to test its luck by wanting to know regardless. He certainly had heard his fair share of assumptions and stories revolving around the previous failed expedition, but although a hot-head himself, Tom took it all in a reserved fashion. Every legend and seaman's story had a hint of truth in it however...

Tom opened his mouth to respond to the man with his own knowledge on the matter, but apparently Aussie's side of the story already gathered more attention than O'Reilly could dare to expect. In a matter of what seemed to be a mere moment, the man and the drunken woman standing nearby seemed to retaliate as if stung by a bee at Aussie's words. It quite frankly caught the Irish completely unprepared, and when the Irish man spoke up opposing what was said, Tom took a few moments to grab all the loose ends again and follow up. Fella soon took off on his whining over dead man's honor and the Aussie went on justifying himself like he killed the poor bastard himself and all of it easily tugged at O'Reilly's nerves. With the Irish man leaning in closer, Tom found it hard to keep his mouth shut and mind his own business.

"Quit acting the maggot, Holy Joe. You ain't lookin' holy yerself either", Thomas finally spoke up towards the Irish, moving next to the companion he previously talked with. "Back off ye? Didn't yer ma taught you eavesdroppin' is the devil's business? May pack you a clatter or two one of these days, ye?" And just as it seemed that the situation was about to escalate as men stared eachother down, the drunk Russian lost her balance and struck the ground rather violently, redirecting the attention of those present. That surely hurt, but even so, the woman was quick to seek for stability on her own two feet. Stubbornly enough. Respectable.

As many rushed to help the woman, Tom stepped back from the crowd and turned to walk away just as the door to the bar opened again and had him stop in his track as he faced the Yank from before. Their eyes met only briefly as the man looked over the room with an utmost disapproval, proceeding to passive-aggressively express his displeasure with the scene in front of him. Right after, however, he had the man behind the bar politely show still baffled people out of the bar, with some of them happy to up and leave even before he was finished with his overly-polite, robot-like courtesy. Tom took another look around the room right after, assuming those left were those that needed to be there, and they need to be there for the exact same reason he was. Observing a mess of random people left, including the brawl-prone Russian-Irish duo, Thomas swore heavily under his breath, realizing those were the people he had to endure for god knows how long, with no means to really completely exclude them. What in the name of all that was honest and holy did he got himself into?

"Coin better be bloody worth this shite", Tom mumbled to himself, now being directed to the area where they would all join the posh American, discussing business. They were yet to hit it off, and O'Reilly already had enough. Rugged Irish took his place at the table with a bit of an issue packing his physique comfortably in his chair, while not taking up space for those next to him. Squirming left and right few times, he finally settled for a rather relaxed position possible only after he pushed the chair away from the table a bit. With him being one of the last people present to finally settle, the American spoke up, officially starting the meeting, going straight to the point. Something Thomas highly appreciated as it caught his attention even before he managed to roll his eyes at least once at the waste of his patience and time. He quickly gave out a few brief directions before giving a word to a young woman that was quick to make her presence known and to be honest to god, she was justifying her name quite a bit and so O'Reilly once again found no issue keeping his attention on the young woman with a brief, content smirk. Her focus on the assignment was just as contagious.

As the woman explained their task further however, Thomas frowned lightly, pondering over the new information received. It was...something else. Unusual and curious. It was somewhat expected from the creme de la creme to have no better means to fill their dull free time, but to set out to chase after fairytales, but on the other hand, it seemed serious enough not to have him burst out laughing at it. Not even close. Perhaps it was the tone in which it was referred to as something that was not a joke of sorts to those organizing it. And at least they had a slight idea on what to look for and where to turn. Already too specific for a jest. His thought process was interrupted by the voice of the blonde man he encountered just before. He asked a simple, yet seemingly shocking question, and it was not much for the question, but for the reaction of both woman and the American that Tom perked up, systematically throwing subtle glared to all three, presuming who would be the first one to break the sudden uncomfortable silence, and hopefully prevent the American from permanently locking his jaw by the amount of pressure he seemed to be putting on it while he clenched his teeth in subtle frustration with Aussie's curiosity. From there, it developed into a rather amusing, tense discussion. All really good questions and all really shallow and unclear answers. Those rare ones that were given, that is.

Seemingly fed up with the two evading to truthfully respond his questions, the man Tom just before learned was named Andrew, turned to the rest of those present. He suggested more money. Kind of a suggestion Thomas O'Reilly certainly could stand behind. Since the very beginning, there was no doubt of the reasons he had to humor the man and report for duty, coin undoubtedly being the primary one. The rest of the group seemed to have the same idea as they proceeded to agree with Andrew, each in their own way, more or less sugarcoated, depending on the preference. And just like that eyes were turned to him, expecting him to speak next. He remained sitting comfortably, throwing one leg over the other, his arms still remaining firmly locked against his chest as he cleared his throat and scoffed before he spoke up clearing up his accent enough to be fully understood by the Yank, the way he used to back while he served on the ship.

"I understand that you see us as an expendable work force you are paying for to do the job, but I have to admit that I am a bit insulted by the way you believe such ridiculous explanation as 'ghost stories' will cut it. I do not know about the rest, but there are two things I certainly do not believe in", he narrowed his eyes at the man and then at the woman. "Ghost stories and pity. Therefore, I do not believe all of it is a load of bull. Your faces tell one hell of a story behind it. You ain't that subtle. I also do not believe anyone here should be feeling pity over your little excursion to potentially risk their lives to please you for anything less than worthy of the risk"

This time, he raised his hands in the air in conclusion to his claim, followed by a rather cocky chuckle as he looked around the room. "Anyone else here thinking their sanity and their lives are worth more than they are valued at? I sure as hell do." With it, he turned back to the duo and adjusted in his chair with a charming lopsided smirk. "You can certainly do better. I have my utmost faith in you", he jested coldly and his late comrade's laughter came to mind with image that was still vibrant and fresh in his mind that he could even still smell soil and iron.

"Ye and faith's like a capper tryna jerk off witha severed limb, lad. Bloody murder." And in a way, it never changed.

@Doctor Jax

(But really a bit of everyone :P)

Last edited:

As the American departed, Bertrum cursed his luck. What he really wanted right now was a quiet place to enjoy his pint. The antics of his fellow expedition members had proved quite wearisome already, and he was about to spend several months at least rambling around Siam with them. Peace and tranquility were evidently going to be in short supply and he had hoped to snatch a little piece of it now. Instead, he was going to have to head back to the bar and listen what would no doubt be a load of dreary waffle. It would be churlish not to. And yet, the stubborn part of Bertrum's mind raged at the idea of giving up what he wanted so easily. He hadn't gotten graduated from Cambridge by rolling over to every demand. As a compromise Bertrum decided to drink a little more than half his drink very quickly while leaning on the railings before heading back to the bar.

He stepped back through the doorway just as the overdressed Yankee who had ruined his plan for a quiet drink began to speak before handing the limelight to a rather younger looking woman. What she had to say intrigued Bertrum on both a professional and individual level. As a man of medicine, if they found the plant they were looking for and it was only a tenth as potent as what ever the documentation Angelica had read about it in suggest then it would turn the world of medicine on its head. From a personal perspective, the talk of ghosts, curses and itinerant locals was appealing in a way. When he had been a welp of a boy, his father had occasionally entertained him with stories of his great uncle who had been explored much of the African continent alongside Dr Livingston; There had also been plenty of stories about Drake and Franklin. To think he might be on an expedition that might in future years be as worthy a story to tell as the ones he had heard as a child made him feel better about his decision to join. He might make history rather than as he had thought skulk around in the depths of the far east just to avoid the situation he had left behind.

He was rather concerned when one by one, various members of his compatriots began objecting to the revelations and some asking for extra pay. He was particularly disappointed that the ginger-haired boy in a suit had joined in. Bertrum had thought they might be of a slight better class of person than the rest of the crew he had met so far. If this expedition tore itself apart before it had even begun there wasn't much he could do apart from to return to England which would create an even bigger mess than when he had left.

"I think we should all perhaps take a minute to collect ourselves." Bertrum didn't raise his voice, but rather seized on the silence left by a somewhat untidy looking chap with an Irish accent. "On the subject of pay, I rather feel the amount that you and I have all agreed with Mr Greene is quite sufficient. It is more than I would earn in a busy year by a long way. The way I see it, this expedition ends in one of three ways. One, we find this plant, in which case all of us will have the potential to earn obscene amounts of money. Two, we don't find the plant and we all go home with more money in our pockets then many earn in a decade. Finally, we all go mad or die, in which case, however much we earn we will have a bally hard time enjoying it."

After looking at each of the rooms occupants for a few seconds, Bertrum switched his gaze to Mr Greene and Miss Angelica. "As for details withheld, well considering what we are after that seems quite sensible. I am sure Mr Greene and Miss Angelica will fill us in on everything before the journey of ours begins in earnest.

DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

It was clear that this may be a losing battle already. As the crew laid out their grievances, their opinions on the matter of pay, the possibility that these stories may not be just stories, Charles quickly took stock and began to regroup. Angelica, on the other hand, looked increasingly discomfited by the growing dissent from the rest of the crew, Peter in particular. Her eyes tracked to him with dread, along with Ms. Tatyana, and a distinct feeling of unease passed over her. They had been there when Roland was shot, only mere moments after from what she had come to understand...

"With the exception of the limey over there," Andrew continued with a playful smirk over in Bertrum's direction, "It sounds like many of us are in agreement on the matter of pay, Mister Greene."

That Greene could not deny. He looked about to the group gathered, then to Angelica's pleading look. He bobbed his head in consideration, weighing the option there and then. A strange calm descended upon him, and he looked up at the group that surrounded them - rough men and women all, but they had his hopes strapped to their backs and in their hands and loaded into their gunmetal. This was bigger than even his own wants.

All of a sudden, he broke into a soft chuckle, looking to the ground and shaking his head. He shook a finger at Andrew, a bitter smile on his face.

"Damn you to hell, Andrew Locke."

"Already headin' there from the sounds of it," Andrew joked, gesturing to Peter and Ana in recollection of their accounts, the Australian confidently slung over his chair with drink in hand.

"Well, I will admit when I am firmly upbraided. We can discuss just how much extra to tack onto pay, I will grant that much. Understand my coffers are not necessarily bottomless, but circumstances given, perhaps extra is indeed owed to you fine men and women - and especially to Mister O'Keefe and Miss Volkov for rejoining us this trip," he said, acknowledging the two despite Peter's heated words. "Credit given where credit is due."

Angelica, on the other hand, seemed some what confused and even frustrated by the sudden turn of events, but she kept her mouth shut - a far cry difference from a year ago, when she had loudly and publicly let him and others know her misgivings.

"And while pay is always an increasingly popular topic of massive import I do not doubt..."

He put his hands up in defeat, before straightening his suspenders and fingering his prodigious mustache. The young financier soon regained his blustering countenance and showmanship, taking a wide stance full of confidence and vim.

"...It would be best to get on with the plan at hand. Here is what we should expect to do once are there in Ayutthaya..."

++++
"Once there, we shall arrive and disembark with a barge already loaded with necessary supplies, courtesy of Lung El and his family. There is a contact already in Thailand whom we will meet, and we shall float down to the first landing site. From there, we shall bushwhack our way inland as far as we can, with the two vehicles we have. O'Keefe, I would hope you know how to drive? No? Ah, well, Locke, it looks you'll be manning a wheel, and you, too, O'Reilly, if you can be bothered at all. Then we'll make camp at an old Thai ruin of a temple, and find the first landmark... a stele marking the start of a highway."

They encountered surprisingly little resistance by way of government officials, and with the waters so low, their trek to the river's shore was easy. Deep, deep into the verdant vegetation the camp sat well and away, after what seemed like days of walking through dense underbrush. Siam's humidity was unforgiving, and only the nearby tributary to the Chao Praya could offer succor in the form of multiple baths, frequent splashes, the odd dunk. Under Locke's management, things seemed to be running.... smoother. Far smoother.

"Is there anything else you need?" Angelica asked Lung El, the man having taken up the part of cook this time around. The previous one had taken off and not even bothered to get back in touch, and so the Thai guide was left to make enough food for the lot of them. Not so hard, with the right spices. The outdoor kitchen was oddly quaint, with a charcoal basin filled with flaming wood and a low wooden table full of different herbs, spices, and all else. Angelica had offered assistance, something the other man was greatly appreciative of.

"I am need the tha-krai -- lemon grass. Dingbat thing-thong Taumai forget to buy. There should be somewhere here. Oh - mushroom, maybe this big, look like mouse's ear -- ah, ah, you ask the redhead boy, he know what good to eat. Nong-Alex too," Lung El said, pointing to the lush overgrowth that surrounded the camp. A circle of tents outlined its confines, barely cleared enough to put down the white canvas that served to protect them. Trees tall as buildings blocked out the sun, letting only the basest ambiance drift to the rainforest floor, while things cackled and chattered and buzzed amidst the foliage with candor. It was more than evident that this was not Man's domain in its filling, green arms, and those who were about should tread lightly. The temple that served as their backdrop was proof enough of that, bricks swallowed by greenery so deep it almost seemed a hill instead.

"Of course, of course," Angelica professed in deference. "I guess bushwacking it is!"

"Attention, everyone, if you haven't already, please come get some gin and tonic!" a young voice called out, which Angelica ignored. Danford had already shoved his quinine down her throat despite her saying she had been taking it for days before even setting foot in the jungle. Distantly she could hear the crack of a gun, Taumai and Mawvan taking turns practicing their shooting. Curses went up as she passed by their "shooting range", little more than bottles on stumps at 40 paces, without a single broken bottle in sight.

"Going tramping through the greenery, are you?" Greene asked from his tent as she passed by, and she smiled sheepishly. "Ah - take someone with you, you know the rules. There's giant man-eating crabs in these woods, gal, remember?"

He patted her on the shoulder with a grin, and she groaned at the mention. He would never let her live that down...

"Now, if you don't mind, I have bushwhacking of my own to do - where's O'Reilly?"

"I've not a clue, Uncle."

"It would figure, the navigator's gone missing of all people. Probably neck deep in a bottle-"

"Uncle! That's horribly rude..."

So we are finally camped out! Some of you have options and some of you don't! Haha! @DayDreamer @Nemopedia you will be going with Angelica into the forest to look for lemongrass and rat's ear mushrooms for tonight's dinner... as well as possibly some snooping. @Ritual Lobotomy Greene wants to talk to you about some things regarding the trip. Everyone else, however, can sort of snoop around to your heart's content. There is a river to the side of camp, a looming temple in the background, which can also be dug into. The auxilliaries are practicing shooting, if that's more your speed. Also Danford is giving out quinine, so if you haven't taken it, definitely do. :))) Wouldn't want bonebreak fever would we? @RedThunder @Kuno @Applo

First time stepping into the dense jungle and inhaling the heavy humid air felt like suddenly finding yourself in a closed room of infinite size, squeezing with other people shoved in to fill every small area of it, and then someone took a piss somewhere in one of the infinite corners. Most likely even more than once. Enough for your nose to notice it everywhere in the air. It felt paradoxically claustrophobic for an area so large and so deserted as it was, save for their little expedition that Tom already grew to accept as a part of the scenery, at least for a foreseeable time in the future. The humidity and heat laid heavily on his lungs for a while, but as he did times before, the Irish kept the discomfort to himself, giving it no significance, until he no longer felt it either. After all, supplies and equipment wouldn't carry themselves, and among several heavy-lifters they had in the group, he was rightfully expected to pull his weight.

Now, the wheels given to them to take them to the destination were a true pain in the arse, but walking through the dense jungle with his feet tangling on the vines on almost every step, O'Reilly found himself feeling nostalgic about the vehicle. After a few set backs and several juicy swears that had those around him either chuckle in amusement or glare at him shocked by the amount of foul capable of coming out of the man's mouth, although many of them they clearly did not understand well enough, O'Reilly got the hang of it, keeping the even pace and saving his breath with the oxygen already seeming severely restricted. Getting his mind off potentially dying of asphyxiation, Tom turned to observing the passing vegetation and the consistency of the soil that gradually changed as they traveled deeper in, depending on the moisture in the area. At the very least his choice of shoewear was quite on point. Sturdy and relatively thick. Then again, a promise of a good time stomping over the moss and mud with the occasional thorn to the bottom of your foot really did not leave much choice in the first place.

By the time they've reached the camping site, the cargo did not seem as heavy anymore, and only when he finally dropped it to the ground, had he felt the coldness of sweat under his shirt and a slight fatigue on his shoulders. Stretching, he looked up to meet the dense treetops at the significant height above the site, only a couple of inches shy of eachother, creating a rather interesting pattern not far off the pattern left by a lightning strike or a free flow of a stream through the ground. Starting in one large line and then spreading out all around. Those small spaces in between allowed some light to reach all the way down, but it was merely here and there, and it already had shown that the Siam had no intention on cooperating, let alone making his job easier. With dense crowns like that, at least in that particular area, navigating with the help of a sun promised to be a perhaps overly tedious endeavor.

"Ah ye, yer a bloody gas already, ain't ya?" Thomas mumbled into the wild scenery surrounding him as he took it all in; the deep and dense vegetation, the ruins overtaken by nature, multiple different sounds and of course, the heavy, humid atmosphere. "One whale'o time, fella." Clapping his hands together with an audible exhale, O'Reilly turned his attention to the things he carried into the camp. Among the standard stuff one would expect in the packing for one such expedition, he chose a handy notebook with a pen, his trustworthy compass, the only thing of true materialistic worth he most likely ever possessed, and a smaller leather bag he packed all of it in, along with the flask that was filled and taken out for a test ride before the departure. Looking around the busy camp site, he quickly dropped the idea of inviting anyone to come along for a walk. Usually it would be a person at the very least somewhat familiarized with documenting the coordinates and measurements, but by the time any of them understood the way he preferred them being arranged, he could already be ways in the jungle, doing a job himself.

"If ya want it to be done as God intended, then ya gotta do it yourself!" Abram Bancroft, the man he owed his entire knowledge of even using a bloody compass, used to say it quite a bit. The irony of life was that he was careless enough not to prevent his own illness by handling his own meal, and only once in the entire time Thomas had known the man. It stuck with Thomas, even though he was anything but superstitious. Being slightly paranoid over things done for him instead of him was as close to it as he ever got.

Taking a generous sip form the flask, he packed it back in, and once more checked if the short-bladed machete was still safely attached to his hip, before he briefly consulted his compass and headed into the bushes right outside the camp. Away from the noise made by the camp dwellers, the silence was now overrun by birds, bugs and other noisy animals screaming at eachother in the cacophony of sounds that got lost on Thomas as he made his way through one plant after the other, his mouth moving soundlessly as he measured the distance. Every once in a while, he would stop in his track next to a piece of an environment interesting enough to use as a checkpoint after which he'd mark the new direction and new coordinates in his notebook, took a sip of drink and proceeded further.

It must have been some time he was wandering through the area, as the light moved quite a bit from the first measuring point, now throwing the shadow slightly off the first course, towards the west, and the first few pages of his notebook were already filled with pragmatically arranged calculations, coordinates and angles, as well as few quickly scribbled notes. Quite a fine start. Potential alternative routes leading from the camp, as well as few other interesting individual spots quickly caught his attention and it would be the first thing Thomas made an importance of to note. The Siam jungle did not favor lone adventurers and even more so, he was certain that Yank is already fuming out of his ears over his absence. On top of it all, half way to the camp, the flask emptied and was treated with a row of displeased mumbles as Tom swung it around rhythmically while cutting his way through with the machete in the other hand.

"Go on an adventure, they said. It'll be fun they said..."

Eventually, voices from the camp grew closer, and eventually the slash revealed a familiar clearance, although on the opposite side from where he started his venturing. To be exact, Thomas found himself only few steps away from the tent in front of which he had recognized the young woman from before. With unsheathed machete stained with pieces of green in one and an empty metal flask in the other hand, he made his way towards it, brushing of the remaining vegetation off of himself and his blade.

Catching the last part of the conversation between Angelica and mister Greene, he chuckled and stopped next to the young woman at the respectable distance, facing the American with a wide grin of a man with seemingly no worries in the world. "Now that is not really fair, mister Greene", he responded as he packed his machete back to its sheath once it was clean. "I barely dipped my toes in before it was cut short", Tom referred to the amount of alcohol he truly had, flipping an empty flask briefly, before tossing it into the bag. "I am not an unreasonable man", he smirked. It was not necessary for Greene to know that the only reason Thomas didn't drink more is because he didn't have more to begin with.

@Doctor Jax

High upon the gallows tree swung the noble-hearted three.
By the vengeful tyrant stricken in their bloom;
But they met him face to face, with the courage of their race,
And they went with souls undaunted to their doom.

A soft whistle drifted from the outskirts of camp.The old, patriotic tune came easily to Peter's tongue; he sat, half-humming, half-whistling, idly watching as Mawvan and Taumai practiced their shooting. He squinted as a ray of sunshine cut through the treetop canopy.

Somehow they'd made it there with little to no delays. Mr. Locke had proven to be much more efficient than Peter had realized. His respect had grown for the man, and he'd found little reason for dissent, not even when he'd been forced to board that beast of a machine Green dared call a vehicle. For his part, he had remained quiet. Deceivingly so. The choking heat did not seem to affect the Irishman one bit; one might even say he looked pleased to be there.

It was the letter he'd received that kept him in gay spirits.

It could be no one other than Delia. He'd worried incessantly over the days about her care, her well-being, and whether she'd be well enough to write him, only to receive a parcel with his name on it once they'd reached port in Ayutthaya. There hadn't been time to have it read. Too many boxes to carry, too many persons to keep stock of - not to mention his deliberate, constant mental blocking of what had been said in the boat meeting. His sense of foreboding was hardly dulled by the additional pay Green had promised him. He was forced to remind himself that far more than money was at stake if he quit. Besides that, he was neck deep in Siam now. There was no turning back.

Sweat beaded at his brow. He fumbled the envelope in his hands, his senses lost in the birds and the bees and whatever else was flitting about their camp. He was anxious to have it read but hesitated to ask any of their number to do so. True, there was Ana; he trusted her, to a degree. He just wasn't sure if he was ready to let her into his personal life. She was too damn curious by nature; questions would come, questions that he was sure he would not want to answer. And the young woman was too persistent by far. No; he'd think on her. Options aside from her were sketchy at best. Bertrum was well-read, but a high and mighty Englishman. Finley was a kind enough fellow and perhaps his best bet. O'Reilly too, not so much from his disposition but from their mutual understanding for the private nature of Irishmen. Green was out of the question. But his niece, perhaps…?

Peter glanced at Green's tent, where Angelica stood chatting with her uncle. He'd made no apology to the young miss for his strong words - nor did he ever plan to - but he wasn't one to nurse a grudge. Let bygones be bygones, as they said. Even so, he didn't trust her either. Peter scanned the faces and tents around him, noticing none of his prospective choices in sight. He sighed. By God, there had to be somebody--

The boom of a rifle snatched his attention back to the foreground. Not one glass lay broken yet, and he overheard the heated discussion between Mawvan and Taumai. Something about the guns not shooting right. Peter snorted at that, startling them.

"Broken...Pah! Pull the wool out your ears and hear it shoots just fine. That aim of yours needs fixing, so it does. Would help if you took the damn rifle butt from your ear 'fore you bust it clean through. I'm fair certain of it."

No small amount of rebuttals followed his words, to which Peter ignored. Stuffing the envelope into his front breast pocket, he stalked over to the other two men. Mawvan and Taumai appeared surprised when he unslung his own rifle from his shoulder.

"That's enough of that. Here. I'll show you."

Peter had yet to shoot anything in front of the others, nor did he have any desire to. Everyone including the auxiliaries under his charge knew this; they gawked at him as he took a position in front of the "shooting" range, gun in tow. Uncomfortable under their scrutiny, he focused solely on the bottles. The one in the farthest right corner caught his eye immediately. Lifting the rifle up, he pressed it firmly against his cheek, shoulders hunching over the gun as his fingers gripped the barrel. He moved in a deliberate fashion; when he pulled the trigger, the sound of shattering glass accompanied the blast of gunfire.

"Broken indeed," He grumbled over the receding noise. He relaxed, letting his rifle droop to the ground. "There. Now that's that. It's all in the form, sirs, no doubt about it. The form and the eye. We'll keep at it and fix it straightaways now."

Silence met him. Turning, he blinked at the impressed expressions on their faces.

"Good shot, Kuhn-Peter," Taumai murmured, Mawvan echoing the same statement shortly. Peter felt heat rise to his cheeks, unused to any praise.

"Yes, well. Thank you," He replied gruffly. Clearing his throat, he slung his rifle back over his shoulder, gesturing at the other two men's rifles with his head. "Alright, let's get at it. Back to shootin."

Land. If there was something that comes close to unconditional love it would be land for Finley. Oh, sweet land, precious vast grounds that didn't move and sway with every blow and step. Finley gladly would spend days walking, rolling even; if it meant that he didn't have to leave the earth again.

The moment they had reached land Finley instantly felt better, though it took him another moment before his nausea was gone completely. However, at the call of his expertise Finley quickly readied himself, excited to explore the flora surrounding him despite the humid heat, and the foreign air.

Safari hat with a net to protect his face, trousers pushed into his boots to avoid ants or other crawlies, a long button up to protect the pasty skin of his arms, and gloves to prevent irritation. Finley had changed himself into a full getup within a blink of an eye, pencil in hand along with a notebook to complete the look of the overexcited nerd. He was ready for his first expedition even if it was only to find some food. Any trace of the seasick weak man was gone, though pale he stayed forever with his red hair.

"Shall we?" the ginger said with a pep in his voice that hadn't been heard before. Eyes bright and twinkling the man was practically jumping at the thought of going out foraging.

bcf178839af0b59a600dd03c50ea4132.jpg
Alex had been right. There were a couple of them whiny rich kids, but thankfully the bulk of their forces was made up of seasoned or, at the very least, capable men and women.The leader of the expedition seemed to have everything under control and they had madegood progress before setting up their first camp. She wasn't surprised that the authorities gave them little trouble. Whoever could afford to pay their expedition team that much was more than capable of 'appeasing' the authorities.

However, as she moved around camp, the sound of gunshots attracted her to the training field. She had been quiet in approaching, something that people were beginning to notice about her. Stealth, unless she made her presence known, you were in for a jumpscare. So she was silently watching the rifflemen practising and a frown appeared on her face.

The men didn't have the best marksmanship and their eagerness to blame the riffles instead of themselves did concern her. She was about to step in, but their chief of sorts did it for her and she watched closely. Now that was a man who knew how to shoot. "You would think with all the money he is paying, he would have hired people who knew how to shoot already. Glad to see at least one of you gents know how to." She said with a calm smirk on her face as she left her hiding spot and approached the Irish.

"Wasting precious ammo like that is a shame. And makes my job even harder. While I do know my way around here and can avoid meeting hostile humans.... the beasts are out of my control." She added, eyeing the men one by one, judging and gaging their reactions, their strengths and weaknesses. If there was one thing that had helped Alex survive and thrive, was her ability to listen and to never underestimate or overestimate her enemies as well as her allies.

---------
OOC: You gotta find Alex to have her join Angelica. She didn't sign up to be a scavenger and she wants to know the crew so she is wandering about camp XD

Tatyana Volkov

the Temple of Doom

She had at the least learned from the last time. The thicker shirts and woollen skirts of Russia were foregone in favor of thinner cottons, and though the heat and humidity remained oppressive, it was easier to bear with the lighter material and the wisp of a breeze it allowed through. Unfortunately, the brilliant green canvas that surrounded and spread over their tent canvas retarded much of the wind, as well as blanketing in the oppressive, sticky heat. Even the stone on which she sat was a good deal warmer than what was necessarily comfortable.

Tatyana stared at the papers, spread out before her on a somewhat larger stone, brow furrowed in frustration. Her memory from a year ago had soured, shoved aside with the more pressing matters of noble but still as yet underdeveloped revolution in Russia. Comrades in arms, in glorious truth, had been hunted down and incarcerated. Many had been killed, certainly, though the Tsar would never admit to such mishandling of justice.

Father is certainly a martyr to the cause, she mused silently as she swallowed the disgust she felt at herself for trying to justify her own part in his death. Perhaps by being here, Ana could help people in a way more true to her father's opinion of 'help'.

Which brought her back to the damned papers. Notes from the last time, plus whatever small tidbits she'd managed to ascertain. Still a jumbled mess; after Roland, she didn't have the composure to devote to it. And the Khuman Tong-

Her focus shifted, and she clutched at the golden shape hanging beneath get blouse. Almost unwillingly, her eyes shifted to the temple, to its shadowed interior. What was in it? How had once been there, and what had they left behind?

Rationals sprang to her mind, justifications for entering the ruin. Wouldn't such a place hold some clue as to their entire purpose here? This damned plant? Yes; surely it must. Without really checking on anyone else, Ana stood from her seat, leaving her notes and papers spread out on the wayward stone fallen from the ruin, and stepped across its threshold.

• Love
Reactions: Kuno
Angelica was mortified to find that poor Thomas was listening in on them, having come up to them at the sound of his name. Oh, her uncle could be such a boor sometimes, saying what he ought not to have, but it seemed that their navigator had a sense of humor about it. Charles grinned broadly at him, clapping him on the shoulder.

"Ha - I'd bet you would be even more reasonable if you were ankle deep in it," Charles stated with good-nature. "Angelica, is there anything else you wanted to...?"

"No, no," Angelica professed, putting her hands up. "Have fun bushwacking."

As if summoned, Fin immediately appeared at her sighed, and she grinned at his enthusiasm. She did love how eager he was to go out into the jungle. She had always had a fondness for the thick undergrowth, finding something about it both alien and exciting. It always seemed to be teeming with all sorts of things, even if snakes and tigers were on that long list.

"Fantastic! We're looking for lemongrass. It's a very fragrant plant, grassy - well, you know what it is! You're the botanist!" she chuckled to herself, sheepish. "And a fungus that looks like a mouse ear... I'm not entirely sure what that is or where I would find it, though..."

She was already on her way towards Alex, having been looking around for her and spotting her near the riflemen. With a quick jog, easily aided by the fact she was wearing pants rather than a skirt, she skidded to a stop.

"Miss Alex! There you are! We have been given a mission!" she playfully stated. "We are on the hunt for lemongrass and some kind of fungus that looks like a rat's ear. I know the one, but not the other. Would you mind coming out with us?"

In the meantime, behind her, the two auxiliaries gave each other looks. Mawvan shrugged his shoulders, while Taumai pulled down an eyelid and stuck out his tongue briefly behind Alex's back. Mawvan elbowed Taumai hard enough to cause him to cought hard. Unbeknownst to them, Lung-El was walking towards them with a stricken expression.

@Nemopedia @Kuno @DayDreamer
--------

In the meantime, Charles watched Angelica leave. A twinge passed through him, only shown by a slight furrow of the eyebrows. It was... possibly going to get dark, given the late afternoon. He shook it off, realizing he had grown lost in thought. Turning to Thomas, he put his hands on his hips, and he stated, "I shall cut to the chase - we are on the hunt for a highway. Somewhere in that ruin -"

He pointed over Thomas' shoulder to the massive ruin covered in vines.

" - is more than likely the gateway to said highway, as far as Angelica has told me. We need to mark off due north, so that way we can start our search. Unfortunately, my abilities with a compass leave much to be desired," Charles admitted, shrugging his shoulders. "I know when to take my lumps. Now, if you've not anything to do at this point in time, I would greatly appreciate it. We may be searching for the next couple of days, and it would behoove us to work quickly."

The ruins seemed to have a strange, uncanny air to it. For every dart of the eyes, the form could be mistaken for rearranging on a whim. It was dark inside, incredibly so, encroached with vegetation.

@Red Thunder @Ritual Lobotomy

Tatyana Volkov
Ruin[d]

Ana shivered. And shivered again. The thin blouse was ideal for the oppressive humidity Outside, but within the ruins' confines, she may as well have been wearing nothing, for all the warmth it retained. There was a tang on the air, a staleness of atmosphere long undisturbed, heavy and oppressive and thick; she had to force her way forward.

Not that it was entirely safe to do so. Having followed her sudden desire, Ana had ventured in without a light source of any kind, with only the ambient light casting scattered, weak beams into the depths. Yet they, too, felt unnatural and strange, like their presence disturbed an absence of illumination that had long lain quietly. The darkness and the thick, stale air felt interconnected, as if driving back the one might banish the other. Yet who could do so? Pushing her way through a room filled with water while wearing stone shoes would be more easily accomplished, she mused.

The darkness, in fact, was like a wall, and seemed to desire that she go no further. Her mind panicked, eyes useless and ears feeling stopped up. Desperate for a touch of reality, of something solid on which to ground herself, Ana threw her hands up before her then swung them horizontally back, seeking a wall or pillar or blasted something that her fingers might brush against. Coarse grit tore at her left hand, not quite revealing blood. She hissed in fright and small pain, and retracted her hand immediately, cradling it. But it was superficial: her fingertips were only scraped. Carefully, right hand this time, Ana reasserted contact. It was a wall of stone, immovable and solid. Hesitant that she should sustain further harm yet eager to discover any detail, she blindly explored the barrier. Raised portions of the stone caused her hand to articulate. It was irregular, with a center point surrounded by branches.

Ana blinked, shaking her head. Slowly, her eyes had adjusted to the excessively dim light, and though details still eluded her, she could make out a basic shape: it was a figure, human shaped, with an exaggeratedly pointed head. A hat, perhaps. Curiously, the figure had six limbs, rather than the usual four. But without better light, better information couldn't be had.

Light! Ana turned, eyes seeking the entrance.

"Svet! Day mne chto-nibud'- Ah. Light! Immediately!" She yelled as loudly as she might. Unsure how deep she may have traveled, Ana wasn't sure she could find the spot again. And she absolutely couldn't lose it. "This ruin is a great interest! Give me light!"

The Khuman Tong had, for now, been forgotten, her attention entirely devoted to the temple itself.

• Nice Execution!
"Well! Is that so! Missy here's worried about beasties, are ya?"

Had Alex but been a man, and he would have torn her down where she stood.

Nothing irritated Peter more than people meddling with things that didn't concern them. Nothing irritated Peter more than people nagging about things that didn't concern them. Though the woman gave a bit of a fair point - something he begrudgingly acknowledged - it was rife with condescension, with a quick jab at the auxiliaries' ability to function. Fortunately, Alex's comments were not enough to sour his good mood entirely; there was still the promise of good news in his front breast pocket, and he looked not unkindly at the tan interloper.

"Well, dear, it's a mighty good thing we're practicing, eh? For a surety I'll mind the ammo supplies, and don't you worry a thing about it. Mr. Green's brought enough to fell an army, so he has."

Yet another thing that bothered him about the expedition: their ridiculous stock of ammunition. He half expected a boatload of soldiers to meet them halfway and turn the whole cursed venture into a military incursion. Just the thought of it was enough to--

Ah. There it was. His first frown of the day.

His expression grew no better with Angelica's appearance. He was already shaking his head at the mention of a "mission", and by the end of her invitation, he was stone-faced.

"Not without one of us you don't," Peter cut in immediately, brows furrowing together.

"Please. Take Mawvan or Taumai along just in case. I'll not fooster 'round with risks in these woods, not if I can help it. Shame on me if I didn't do me best to protect you."

Of course, the best option would have been to volunteer himself to go along on their little venture. But the envelope had begun to weigh in his pocket, and he felt it best he settle that matter straight-aways. Since Finley was apparently going with them and Ana was still - still? - out of sight, it seemed Andrew was his best bet. He'd spotted the man walking the perimeter some time ago, somewhere along the right outskirts of camp. He could only hope the man read as well as he talked.

@Doctor Jax @DayDreamer @Nemopedia

bcf178839af0b59a600dd03c50ea4132.jpg
Alex eyed the Irish with a straight and unamused expression on her face. "You would be too if you knew every part of this forest is tiger, leopard and bear territory. Not to mention elephant packs destroying anything in their path if they so wish." She shrugged at his dismissive tone. "Not my head on the line buddy. I spoke my mind." If the guy wanted to take her seriously so be it, if not? She knew how to survive in the jungle without a gun or a group. They didn't and that's why they needed her and the locals. She owed no allegiance to Greene, if she had to leave them to survive, she would leave them behind without a thought.

However she couldn't fully suppress a groan at being called a miss by what felt a hyper rich girl to her. Even more so when she saw how the ginger botanist was dressed up. "Alex is just fine. I am no miss." She waved her hand aside, trying to suppress a chuckle and just smirking as she insepcted Finley up and down. "Now that's an interesting prey for the cats. What happened? Can't take Siam's nature?" She questioned but didn't respond afterwards, seeing how O'Keefe had made an interesting assumption about her.

"Please. Take Mawvan or Taumai along just in case. I'll not fooster 'round with risks in these woods, not if I can help it. Shame on me if I didn't do me best to protect you."

"And risk being shot ourselves instead of the actual target?" She questioned and pulled a thin throwing knife from the flods of her sash, hidden until that very moment. "You said it yourself, it's a good thing that you are practising. I don't need practise." To emphasize, Alex threw her knife towards one of the targets, effortlessly.

The sound of shattering glass followed and the bottle next to his previous target was now gone as well. "I can babysit them just fine on my own."

---------
OOC: I have been meaning to show off her throwing skills for so long. XD

Tom responded to the man with an amused lopsided smirk that stretched into a grin when Charles once more commented on Thomas' love for a good bottle. "Aye, perhaps. I feel like we know eachother already", he responded somewhat smugly. The American, however, was more than eager to get on with whatever he required the Irish's presence for, and so he was quick to wrap the business with the young woman who's attention was quickly occupied by their wee lil' botanist, right after she wished them luck with their endeavors.

"Looking quite dashing, mister Ellis", Tom could not resist but to comment briefly on Finley's choice of clothing that heavily resembled one he had seen on the earliest illustrations of Huckleberry Finn with a grin. He'd go as far as to say that the resemblance was uncanny, save for the face net and some other small details. Not to mention, it surely made him look at the very least two thirds of his real age. As eager to get started as Charles, Angelica quickly occupied Finley, discussing the important... plant business.

As the two moved from the hearing range and continued to distance themselves further, Thomas turned to the American, waiting patiently to discuss their own business. The Yank seemed to be occupied by some other things, known only to him. So much so that the delay in the communication soon became slightly awkward. Uncertain how long the self-induced hypnosis would last for the man, Tom adjusted his stance awkwardly and cleared his throat audibly. Whether it was the sound of it, or just the simple fact that it ended up matching with the ending of Charles' daydreaming, it worked and the American snapped out of it.

"I shall cut to the chase", the man started and Tom nodded with a quick lift and drop of his eyebrows and a deep inhale quickly switching his train of thought to focus on the American. The word of so-called "highway" sparked his interest anew and now he readily followed to where the man was pointing at. The Irish had many questions, but he quickly suppressed them, patiently waiting for the man to finish his explanation. Tom merely nodded every once in a while to hint that he was still listening as he now turned fully to study the ruin with hands firmly on his hips and eyes locked on vegetation and moss-covered stones.

Yes, he had many questions, but the more he soaked in the stone apparition slowly disappearing in its own shadow as the light slowly dimmed towards the west, the more of them he'd dismissed as irrelevant or simply forgot.

"Aye. Piece of piss", Thomas responded somewhat absent-minded, still focused on the temple. If there was something he knew about wild areas like that one, it was that if something seemed too easy, it most certainly was anything but. At the very least though, he'd be lying like a dog if he said he was not darn curious to shove his head in and take a look. Curiosity usually triumphed over any uncertainly he had about such tasks and perhaps that was maybe the biggest reason, other than money, that he agreed to come in the first place.

"Whenever yer ready, mister Greene, we will make it happen", he concluded confidently as he once more checked the equipment in his bag. It was somewhat a noticeable obsessive habit of his. He would be checking if he had everything set at the very least five or six times before he'd even think of needing any of the items. "I am humbled by your faith in me, mister Greene", Thomas spoke up again, with everything but humbleness in the tone of his voice. "But do make sure you are ready to give me ay hand. Only compass will not guarantee you a safe passage on its own", he explained without a trace of his usual jest. Yes he enjoyed a good fun and he was too aware of his mortality to take life too seriously, but with other lives depending on him, he had no business slacking off or leaving anything to chance.

"We will need ay decently visible, reliable path markers. Hopefully in a form that cannot be easily removed. I will provide the rest. Ah, and we would need a decent source of..."

"Light!", the woman's voice boomed in a bossy manner making Thomas briefly squint in realization to whom it belonged to. Ana was absolutely hard to ignore with her tendency to be the loudest person he had ever met. Was it even necessary to be as loud? Perhaps. Never the less, her vocal abilities were as impressive as they were annoying. He observed her moving around entrance, rambling something in Russian. "Light! Immediately!", she shouted again and again, expressing high interest in the ruin herself.

As politely as he could, Tom sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose briefly, quickly gesturing towards the woman ahead of them, loudening his voice enough for woman to hear him and a slight disapproval in his voice for being so rudely interrupted.

"As I was SAYING", the Irish exclaimed back, turning his attention back to Charles. "We need a decent and reliable source of light". Quickly giving Ana another glance over his shoulder, he added conspiratiorially. "...and perhaps ay more reliable third wheel. The one that ain't gonna be bringing the entire shite down on our heads... with their war cries... Jesus, Mary'n'Joseph", he rolled his eyes in disbelief, comically crossing himself in conclusion. Other than the evident disapproval of the Russian however, Thomas was more than ready to head in head first.

@Doctor Jax
@Red Thunder
@Nemopedia

Last edited:
Fin had been wary of Angelica since the revelation on the boat, though her obvious excitement to go foraging made him momentarily forget about it as he perked up immediately. Not minding the way she tried to explain lemongrass the man forgot entirely about his pride as an academic and a botanist as he put a hand to his chin.

"Looks like a mouse ear…" he mumbled, mind racking a little to think of all the mushrooms that had a tendency to look like that and grew around these parts. "Rat ear fungus?" he tried, though the female seemed to be sheepish on the answer. They would have to make do with the description, it seemed.

In the meanwhile the conversation seemed to have shifted. Their gunner Peter and their guide seemed to clash heads with each other. Blinking Finley had entirely missed the remarks on his outfit as a struggle of power seemed to erupt. Alex insisted that she could protect everyone without needing help, snidely remarking that she didn't need to 'practice' as Peter had so kindly put it. To demonstrate her powers the female had thrown a knife at one of the glasses, causing the redhead to jump in a start as his eyes flitted between the couple.

"The la-- Alex makes a fine point. Though if it eases you why don't you head out with us?" the botanist proposed scraping his throat. Quite fairly he didn't see a reason not to trust the other two, but their guide did. Not wanting to cross the missus Finley decided that it was for the best to just go along and try to compromise, since it didn't seem like the rest was willing to.

"Besides, it is just a foraging expedition. We will be back before dinner," he jested with a timid voice.

• Bucket of Rainbows

The jungle was stifling. He had had a while to get used to it but still every now and then Bertrum found himself almost choking on the thick soupy air. Five minutes after having a wash, it was as if one hadn't bothered at all. It was just about bearable in the day time but at night it was utterly wretched and left oneself exhausted. Fortunately, on that front, there hadn't been much for Bertrum to do so far.

He had done his fair share when it had come to unloading the ship and then again when they had set up camp but since then there had been relatively little for Bertrum to do. Despite everyone's best efforts so far the only medical matters were a few minor scrapes and one lightly hammered thumb. Daneford had done a splendid job handling the expeditions consumption of quinine and more importantly seemed keen to do so. As a result Bertrum had spent the last couple of days finding the coolest spot in their little clearing and flicking through his medical journals.

He would have to leave most of them with the vehicles when the time came to press deeper into the jungle and so whenever he found something that might be useful later on, Bertum was carefully tearing out the pages and pressing them between the pages of a book his uncle had bought as a leaving present. It was quite a strange tome. About an expedition to heart of Africa, he had been hoping that he would be inspired by the novel but so far it seemed rather too grim. Bertrum couldn't help but feel that this Conrad chap's editor should have had a few quiet words the old boy. Still it was quite a useful place to keep bits of paper.

The other activity Bertrum had been filling his time with was people watching. There was something rather fascinating about watching all the other members of the expedition scuttle back and forth. It made him feel a little like a child watching a colony of ants and their infinite wanderings. Even in the last hour that O'keife fellow, or was it the other one, well one of the two Irish gentlemen had returned to camp and ventured out almost straight away again after a brief conversation with Mr Greene. Likewise, young Finley and Ms Angelica also seemed to be heading out with the local lass in tow. Dressed up in his equipment, Finley looked just a little silly, not that Bertrum would ever tell him so. Apart from being horribly impolite, it would be an act of monumental mental vandalism to dampen the lad's enthusiasm. Why everyone was off on these little adventures Bertrum had no idea, but he smiled and gave all of them a little wave nevertheless. The only person he couldn't remember seeing leave was Ms Anna but he was sure she would turn up at some point. He had probably just had his nose in a journal when she had slunk off.

Finishing the journal, he had spent the morning working his way through, Bertrum strolled over to the table where Danford had prepared the current round of G&T's. The junior doctor was sat in a chair behind it looking almost frightfully keen, rather like Finley it struck Bertrum. He put it down to excessive youthfulness in both cases.

"Dr Daneford, seeing as things are quiet and neither of us are busy would you join me in oooh…" Betrum flicked open his pocket watch. "lets say five minutes and we can have a go a double checking the medical supplies. It would be good for both of us to know what is at our disposal. You can talk me through what you think we will use each item for. Let's see if you can't put my mind at ease that if I get taken ill you'll know what you are doing."

• Love
Reactions: Kuno
SUPERSTITION
"And unto the Chao Phraya the congregation assembles/ at the stone gates to Nakhon Ratchasawan/ guards [unintelligible] dawn to dawn/ the Noon Star is their guide." -- Excerpt one of the Tala-patra

CHARLES GREENE

Charles was quick to find Thomas a rather astute fellow, understanding both the need for manpower and wisdom alike as he professed that a compass would not be the only thing necessary to ensure safe passage. He himself liked to be prepared, considering well that it was all too possible that equipment could fail and all you had about you was your men and your thoughts. The scrapes he had got into... Well, it didn't bear thinking about.

"True enough, man, you've my eyes and feet and whatever else isn't preoccupied," he joked as they headed towards the temple. The foliage was dense, but a path had been cut prior. Charles' let his fingertips linger over a cut branch, somewhat healed in the last year. This was the doing of the prior expedition, he remembered enough. Even if... really that was all he could truly remember... His mind snapped back as Thomas began to list the things he would need.

"...a decent source of--"

"Light!"

Sure enough, in the doorway of the temple, encroached by vines and strangling fig trees, overgrown by years of negligence, was their erstwhile chronicler, already a step ahead of the game. It did seem odd to him that she was first drawn here of all places, but it was an odd little landmark. The temple was tall, its top poking from the foliage in impressively complex ridges, domed as an exotic cathedral with images of birds, vines, motifs long faded by rain and wind.

"A foot ahead of the both of you," Charles stated as he pulled up a lantern he had procured earlier, lighting it smartly once they reached the darkened door. The kerosene caught, and he pulled down the wick so as not to blow fumes, despite the large space. Even with the light, however, the doorway seemed as a maw, chilled with damp and waiting for their entrance. A dejavu overcame Charles briefly as his thick eyebrows furrowed upon their ingress.

I have done this once before...

"I also have with me... flags, Mr. O'Reilly, to mark the interior should we find what we search for. Ms. Volkov, I have it on good knowledge that there should be a stele somewhere marking the beginning a highway which starts at this temple."

The light was thrown against the interior of the temple, and the hewn stone sailed over their heads. Inside, it had been saved from the vagrants of weather and wear, and so the walls, pillars, and ceiling were decorated in delicate friezes of strange images, some of them still worn nevertheless by eons. There were vicious ogres with large tusks wearing pointed hats, holding swords, while humanoids with angel wings stood holding the stems of plants. People in various states of worship were strewn across the walls, along with scenes of harvest. These were cast in deepened shadow, as thick as velvet. Most notable, however, were the pillars - trunklike, with branching buttresses that appeared to flow into the ceiling as if they formed a stone canopy. A forest, inside a temple, inside a forest.

But perhaps most disturbing was the fact that much of what was eye level and below had been chipped away at by an angry, furious hand, a mobbish cacophony of chiseled rock standing out from the delicate masonry. Someone had not wanted this to survive.

Greene looked about himself with soft awe, caught up for a moment in the architecture about them, but a minute more found his business prudent again.

"This temple was a sort of way station, a religious center for those wishing to make the pilgrimage for this soma, as it was of great importance to the Hindoos and the civilization before them which made these. They felt that due north was an important direction, so that is really what we should be looking for. We need to find a doorway headed by a large obelisk upon which there is a nine-headed snake 'guarding the way', something Angelica called a 'naga'."

@Ritual Lobotomy @Red Thunder

****​
ANGELICA WARREN & LUNG EL

It seemed a bit surreal to her that they were really about to have this argument, here and now, over finding a few plants. The irony of the situation did occur to her - all this was over plants - but nevertheless her frustration quickly arose at the sniping back and forth over who would go where. Before Angelica could speak further on this development, Lung El had already made it to the group at the impromptu firing range.

"Paw, paw lao nah. You stop, now," he reiterated, his normally placid voice sharp with retort. Mawvan and Taumai stared in confusion to each other, Angelica likewise as Lung El strode to the stumps containing the bottles, the broken glass. "This bad luck, very bad luck."

"Lung El, what is?"

"Break glass - it bring the ghosts."

Angelica's mouth opened in a slight 'oh', understanding immediately rushing to her. She crossed her arms and gave him a soft look, part chastisement and part concern. The Thai people were incredibly superstitious where ghosts were concerned, and any action that could incur bad luck was avoided at all costs, including cutting your hair on a Wednesday. It was just part of everyday life for those Thai folk who lived in the country.

"I don't really think we have to worry about ghosts. I'm more worried about the hill peoples and Decha," Angelica chuckled. Lung El gave her a sharp look, arms full of bottles, before looking to the rest of the 'sharpshooters' practicing.

"You shoot small tree, over that way, but not bottles. We not break the glass," he adamantly stated in a no-nonsense tone, giving Taumai especially a harsh look. The younger male hung his head and shrugged noncommittally, uncomfortable under the other man's gaze.

"Now, about who shall come with us... Perhaps it is best we have two, seeing as I know there are hill peoples who have lived here for generations, and they are... slightly territorial," Angelica reasoned. "They do speak Thai! ... A little. Anyways, they shouldn't be a problem here, but where it might get a bit dark, perhaps it's a good idea that we travel as a group. And besides, Miss, you might know what we are looking for!"

In the meantime, Lung El set up the bottles with undue care at his work station, his eyes flickering over to Angelica and the band sitting there. Silently, he said a prayer.

@Kuno @Nemopedia @DayDreamer

****​

ABRAHAM DANFORD
The young doctor sat staring at the little tumblers of drink in front of him, the doses for the night. Though some might find it overzealous, Danford had become quite a close associate to malaria. A shudder passed through his frame at the thought. Bone-breaking fever, night after night, for three nights, only to have a break, a false sense of security.... and then the madness to start again... He drank one of them himself, deciding to get it in early, wincing at the hard drink and the bitterness of quinine sliding down his throat.

He jumped in his seat slightly at Bertrum's entrance, putting a hand over his heart.

"Oh, my apologies for the start, just... I was off in my own little world," he professed. It was true - in the time that he had come to be here, he was a bit jumpy. After everything that had happened the previous year... Being the only doctor they had, he had been the soul tasked with determining cause and time of death for Roland, and such things left a mark. If what Peter and Ana had said were true, he was not fully dead upon their arrival, which was horrifying in and of itself. He hoped no such repeat would assail them.

"Y-yes, yes, of course, sir!" he stated. He was doubly glad for Bertrum's presence, for his experience as well as his responsibility. While he could be somewhat aloof, there was this air of gentility and confidence he possessed which greatly appealed to the young man. No longer was he alone in shouldering the burden of the team's health, robust as that seemed to be at the moment. "It would be especially prudent, sir, we, er, I had not the chance to restock while in Ayutthaya, sire, and so much had to be special ordered from the Americas -- I will meet you there as soon as I can, yes, thank you."

His eyes shone with near adoration, though there was a nervousness there. He was going to essentially test his knowledge... Oh, that was a somewhat nerve-chewing thought. He so wanted to make a good impression on the senior doctor, and he desperately hoped that he could manage it well enough....

@Applo

I don't have any special instructions for this one, though I do highly suggest collabs! This is a chance for characters to get some heavy interactions in - as well as ask questions. This was the site of the last expedition after all - aren't you at least a little curious? Feed it...

He did not like showboating. Peter watched, hands on his hips and brows furrowed, as Alex decided to show the rest of them what's what with a knife on her person. She seemed hellbent on proving just how capable she was, even if it was at the auxiliaries' expense. No; she purposely picked at their poor marksmanship. To what aim, he did not care to know. All he knew was that he needed to nip her crusade in the bud. He could endure all sorts of nagging, but the buck stopped shy of reckless behavior and bullheadedness. Just like that damned Ana.

God help him. Who knew there'd be two of them this time around?

Before he could issue a stern rebuke, Finley intervened. Peter stared at the redhead incredulously, only to bite back another reply at Lung El's approach. Just as well; the older man gave him a good opportunity to cool off. He paced a bit in the meantime, mulling over the current dilemma before him.

Delia had called him a proper nag once. He hadn't meant to wear on her nerves at the time, but he'd supposed she could only tolerate his hovering for so long. She'd told Peter that he would wear himself out carrying on the way he did with the rest of the crew, and he was inclined to agree. Perhaps he was overreacting a bit. Maybe...maybe so long as they didn't go too far, he needn't worry too much about it. His attention shifted back to Angelica as she weighed in on the current topic. Delia's advice echoed once more in his mind, and his expression gradually softened.

"Alright. You can go on with her, either," Peter finally replied, jerking his head at Alex. "You're of the minds to go, so go. I'm not nothing but your hired hand, miss. I won't gab on and on and delay you further."

Actually, to "gab on and on" was precisely what he wanted to do. He couldn't help himself. The same anxieties continued to plague him, and though he was certainly annoyed with Alex and her antics, that did not stop him from regarding the others with a measure of concern. It was drawing close to sunset. But he'd already said yes to them going without him. He sighed deeply, clearly dissatisfied.

"I'll give you til dark 'fore I come looking for you. Should you need a fair bit more than fancy throwing knives, just give a holler." His eyes darted between the lot of them before he gave a tight nod. "'Scuse me."

It was best he talk to Andrew then and there before he regretted his decision. Peter found the man some distance away by the riverbank near the edge of camp. Scouting the perimeter, by the looks of it. The Irishman cleared his throat as he approached, letter already out in his right hand.

"Mr. Locke, ehm…do you have a moment?"

The First Glimpse​

a collab between @Red Thunder, @Doctor Jax and @Ritual Lobotomy

Mr. Greene entered the temple's entryway, and illumination entered with him. Ana winced at the sudden brightness, eyes having acclimated as well as could be expected to the palpable blackness within the structure that only the constricted entryway could have facilitated. Through narrowed, blinking eyes, she watched as her benefactor entered, laden with flags for guidance back as their ventured into the temple's depths. His face took a decidedly wonder-filled form, his eyes roving. Her own curiosity reemerged, and she turned her gaze back to where her hand rested on the raised stone.

The frieze was monstrous and alien, a thing conceived of by poets and artisans in the throes of opium induced fog. Wide, her eyes traced the forms of the winged forms, and the term angel would not leave her mind. Beast-men, strange flora, and the stone-hewn trunks of trees within. All filled her mind with fear and awe, and for nearly a minute, the stood in mute bewilderment.

But Tatyana Volkov, the Hound, reasserted herself. There was a job needed doing, and notes needed taking, and none else of these fools were equipped or skilled to achieve it. Dashing to Mr. Greene, she yanked the lantern from his hand with a muttered Thank you, hurried back to the wall, and yanked out paper and charcoal pencil. In shorthand, she began making a rough description of the room by lantern light, oblivious to all else; her camera lay forgotten in the camp.

Thomas took his time before he stepped after the two, in its entire definition. The dark entrance to the temple did not seem that ominous or so narrow, until the small portion of light carried by Greene shined across rough walls arranged densely together, much to Irish man's dismay. Perhaps it was just him and the space between the walls at the entrance seemed perfectly fine to both Russian and the Yank. Quite frankly, it was almost always just him. As the duo entered further with almost no noticeable hesitation, and the light was slowly descending into the darkness, Thomas snapped out of it for a moment, swallowing a lump that formed in his throat that suddenly felt dry.

"Quit being a langer. Ya ape," he mumbled to himself scoldingly as he finally made a first more decisive step few moments after Tatyana, quickly catching up with the pen and notebook ready in his hands, seeking for other interesting things about the area, hoping to ignore the feeling of the stone cold walls closing in on him. Way to the north had already been marked on his page before, and now he quickly marked the entrance and the distance to the first decorated wall where others waited.

Acknowledging the decoration that seemed to have preoccupied the woman, so much so that she decided to hog the only source of light for herself right after, he took a look around and marked another point on his paper just before Tatyana moved along, referring to Mr. Greene as he did so. "The compass is as accurate as it can be. For now," he emphasized the latter, once again leaving the uncomfortable feeling of being stuck in a dark, tight space in the back of his mind, focusing on the task at hand. "Depending on what this lil' cozy place has to hide, it may not be the case for the entirety of the way". It wouldn't be the first time that the sudden changes in the reading caught him off guard, but it would be the first time he would not be able to think straight about their way out and so he left nothing to chance. "Perhaps for the best would be to secure a marker on our right on the eye level for each turn and every twenty strides after the last marker in the forward passageways". Only after he finished the sentence had it occur to him that he probably said all that too fast for the man to comprehend, and giving up on repeating himself before he was even asked to, he extended his hand towards Mr. Greene in expectation of receiving the markers. "While you admire the...artwork," he labelled it hesitantly, keeping one eye on the light that danced across the wall nearby, "I'll take care that we live to tell of it".

Greene - whose only recourse of rebuttal to Ana's theft being a grumble and a throwing of hands into the air - followed along with Thomas easily, handing him the flags. It did not, however, escape the American's notice that the man was decided to jumpy. They were in the dark, yes, but… he seemed a bit more than just uncomfortable.

"Of course, of course, it wouldn't do that we not make it out of here half-starved because we've no idea how to get out of the bloody place," Greene agreed wholeheartedly, his words swallowed by the cavernous surroundings. They were… narrow, that was for sure. "This place had apparently been built by the civilization well before the Thais arrived. They came from China along with some general in a bid to establish their own land, and by the time they got here, this society was in abject ruins. We met some remnants while trying to even find this place to start."

Greene made a face as his eyes traced what appeared to be men aboard a war elephant, spearing some hapless men to death, trampled beneath their feet, dragging them to something which had been chiseled off the wall.

"Messy business all around there."

Illuminated ahead - or rather distinctly dark despite the lantern - was an entryway, directly in front of Ana. Its maw stretched open, floral designs in intricate arrays deepset in shadow around it.

It as yet failed to draw her attention, being to the journalist yet another patch of black among a conglomeration of nondescript patches of black. She had one task in her mind, and it would be finished first.

Writing. Describing. Rubbing. Writing. Describing. Rubbing. Ad infinum.

Shorthand details of the friezes for later. Charcoal rubbings of as many forms and scenes as could be managed with her limited resources; Ana had to remind herself regularly that there would likely be other aspects of the temple about so m which she would need to take note. As it was, the small description and vague pictures she was gathering would be sufficient.

Well, it might have otherwise been. Satisfied with her latest charcoal rubbing, Tatyana paused to examine the wall. The stone at shoulder height and above had been where she'd found the pictures, and her focus had been thus applied. Now, the distinct and rather violent destruction wrought on the walls below shoulder height was astonishing. There was clearly history that some party or another wished forgotten.

Conveniently, her companions seemed to be discussing the very thing.

"This temple is pre-Siamese? The Siamese wanted the builders of it erased, I guess." Carefully, she brushed the tips of her free hand against the damage. "But stone: how is it scored like this?"

Keeping up close behind, Thomas secured the markers safely against his bag and made his way to the light source that the Russian now shined at the less admirable part of the carve or rather, impressive in a different way than the others encountered. Granted, it would serve only to unnerve anyone sane even further.

"With a whole lot of sweat and incredible effort. That's for certain," Tom responded to her question as he studied the ruined part of the stone carving himself. "They could not expect to make much damage to it, but they attempted to do it anyway. How doesn't concern me," the Irish mused as he stepped back. "'Why?' is what I want' know. You do not go through bother to destroy something in the middle of nowhere unless it is personal. Perhaps out of spite or fear…," he suggested, pacing around the are area before checking the compass once again. Everything seemed to be in order.

"Or perhaps," Thomas sighed, turning around on his heels, decisively marching towards the pitch black opening in the stone. "This...proved to be a bigger challenge than they had hoped for," he concluded, taking out a flag and securing it on his right, against the entrance. Not being able to help his curiosity, he once again got a glimpse of the stone carving and the conveniently censored figure that seemingly was the target of the destruction. Conveniently selective. At that very point, it told him nothing of significance he personally could use to progress the expedition. He'd leave the philosophy of 'why' and 'how' to those willing to cope. Closing his eyes briefly and relaxing his shoulders, the Irish leaned sideways against the stone, crossing his arms as he waited.

Greene himself was lost in staring at the friezes around them, one of them catching his eye - that of a group of what appeared to be dancers. Something about it jogged his lagging memory. Yes, he remembered being here indeed. It was a discomfiting thought, one he didn't linger on for long. In fact, this conversation was likewise familiar - a thing he remembered asking Henry, and his stomach knotted.

He realized the light was disappearing, and he hurried towards the pool of light Ana hogged.

"I would dare say our navigator is correct, there. Perhaps a rival civilization… Henry did tell me that there was the theory that these peoples were no longer around because of the mutual destruction of two warring states against each other," Greene said confidently, trying to shake the jitter from his bones as he caught up with Thomas.

"Yes, but who could have managed?"

Ana never paused her writing, save to conduct yet another rubbing on the stone figures. There was no analysis actively conducted at this point; journalistic instinct had taken over, and nothing else save threat of bodily harm might serve to distract her. If perhaps even that.

Yet, as her lower cognizance was otherwise occupied with recording, her higher thought would not wait. Having others of like curiosity with whom to discuss theories only encouraged it.

"Historian, I am not. Yet, I think of no early culture capable of this. I do wonder whether more evidence lies within."

Ana cast a hungry eye deeper into the darkness.

Greene took that moment to walk up behind her and take hold of the lantern from her hogging grasp. The American, without regard to the Russian's scribbling, gestured for Thomas to go further. He may not have the best sense of direction, but he had some idea that he had been here before. A pull, imperceptible to anything but the subconscious, drew him through that darkened doorway.

"I would bet it does, and we should press on, if that's the case."

He entered an atrium, narrow and rectangular, whereupon at the very end there stood a rectangular obelisk of some size, reaching nearly twenty feet tall. Upon it there were inscriptions in a dead language, alongside delicate, painfully elaborate designs and friezes. The image which captured most of the stone, as well drew the eye, was a massive tree, half-hacked apart by chisels and hammers so that only some of the upper branches and canopy were left. Hands were lifted up to it, of what could be seen amid the destruction. Behind it appeared to be what used to be an entryway - but was completely bricked in, letting in only a small amount of light from a hole in the top where the roots of the strangling figs had not yet wormed their way through.

"I don't know exactly where we are, but I have a… a strong feeling this is where we are supposed to be," Greene said in hushed tones, his voice seemingly muffled despite the vast confines of the room.