E.S.N.A (Eradicators of SuperNatural Affairs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping Victoria off the rafter; and back towards the maintenance staircases, and ladders Asura could not help feeling something was off about the scene below. He came to a common link between all the murders. 'Where were the spirits? There are always spirits at murder cases.' Most members of ESNA were far more in tune with the spiritual aspect of the world around them, then any common individual. As such what ate the at him the most was the lack their most reliable witnesses, the deceased themselves. Asura picked up speed upon this thought, so that he could be sure it was not only he who had realized this. Reaching the platform over the others he called to them. "Hey. By chance is there any evidence of spectral residue?"

Asking his question he quickly moved to the ladder, and slid down it's rails. Hitting the flood with a thud Asura turned to Lan, Nash, and Ayaka. "On the dagger? Around the mouths? Anything?" He hurried to Nash awaiting his answer. The look on his face could be likened unto an inquisitive child. Maybe it was enough to unearth some clues. Other then the dagger all they had from each scene so far was simply the knowledge that the killers always stabbed into the heart. In truth if magic had not been picked up at events they would have left it to the local authorities.

======================================================================

Victoria walked keeping quiet from embarrassment. She had made a fool out of herself, and had hoped to keep the dagger hidden. The last thing she wanted was to let the knowledge that her family was involved reach the organization. They would most likely imprison her, and send another team into remove the threat only to review her involvement afterwards. She looked up, and as Asura picked up his pace. His long strides easily putting distance between them. He was quickly out of sight leaving her to her thoughts. It only seemed like a few moments before his shout rang through the still air.

'Spectral residue? What would....' Victoria picked up her pace knowing full well he was onto something. There was always traces when a soul left it's shell. Once out of it's mortal anchor the soul often would linger for a time. Especially when the life was ended suddenly. The lack there of would mean it was either used for a powerful spell, or stored. 'Stored.' The word thundered in her head. Had there been any spells that had needed a soul evidence would have been visible at any one of the scenes. Reaching the platform above her subordinates Victoria awaited Nash's, and Ayaka's answer.

Nash tilted his head, unsure of why Asura was suddenly so worked up. He didn't know much about the inner workings of supernatural details like this. At least he'd learned how to focus on certain kinds of energy after a tip from a fellow low-ranking ESNA member shortly after joining. Better make yourself useful, the usually-violent werewolf had told him. Otherwise you'll never climb the ranks. Nash had initially dismissed the advice, thinking the humans heading the team would be happy to have his services without any additional training, but that quickly proved not to be the case.

He closed his eyes this time. Soul residue was a tricky thing to focus on; it had its own energy signature, but it tended to blend in with the waves given off by other magical lingerings. The somnus tried to hone in on the feeling that spectral residue gave him, a slight twinge as though it were fighting back against the probing senses of the still-living. And yet, he turned up empty.

Nash opened his eyes. "No," he said to Asura. "Why? Should there be something?"

Aya made her way to the elevator, disabled it and stepped inside, leaving the doors wide open. "Hey. By chance is there any evidence of spectral residue?" Asura called out. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, feeling the energy in the room. "I don't sense any at all. Hang on a second, I will come and see after I get the Wolvesbane out of here." She replied.

Aya looked around the tiny loft, deciding that the only place Wolvesbane could be hidden was in the ceiling. She sighed, Of course it would be where I can't easily reach. She pulled out her dagger from under her coat, and lifted it above her head. Aiming for a moveable ceiling tile, she jumped, using her dagger to push it out. It took a few tries but at last she succeeded. Now, to get up there. . . She noticed the handle bar that went around the elevator and got an idea. Taking a few steps backward, she ran towards the bar, jumping onto it for a split second before using her momentum to launch herself at the opening in the top of the elevator. Aya latched onto a side of the opening with her hands and pulled herself up.

The Wolvesbane wasn't hard to spot. Luckily, the amount was not very large, it was just enough to make the change happen. Reaching into her pack, She pulled out a red pouch that she had made in her spare time, just for something of this nature. The pouch was blessed so that things like Wolvesbane would become useless. Quickly, she stuffed the Wolvesbane into the red bag and tied it off before putting it back in the backpack.

Aya was getting ready to get down when something caught her eye. A good sized, wooden talisman sat to the right of her. She picked it up to examine it, noticing how much effort was put into creating it. Intricate drawings were all over it and there was some writing she didn't recognize. Without reason, the talisman began to shake violently in her grip, enough so that it made her lose her balance and fall out of the top of the elevator. She landed on her back with a resounding THUD. The air left her lungs and she coughed a few times then sat up to find the talisman. It laid in the corner of the loft, still shaking.

Without thinking, she made a seal with her hands, cursing under her breath when there was a sharp pain in them from the contact. She set her eyes on the talisman, "Naunman kuusan manda basaradan kan!" She chanted until finally the thing stopped moving. She looked down at her hands. Where the thing had touched her, small burns were left in its absence.

Asura flared a large smile towards Nash. Being a werewolf he could only see spirits, and was never able to fine tune such abilities. "Yes, there should be. I don't know much about such things, but any object used to slay a human always has spectral residue. Which would mean the soul has been used in some way..." He put a hand to his chin, and turned over his thoughts. Victoria had attempted to teach Lan, and Asura about such things some time before their latest members joined. Out of the corner of his eye he could see the small woman up above them. Watching just to see how much they could find out without her. The smile on her face revealed that he was on the right track. "Maybe stored into something?" Asura slowly looked around the room. Not even sure what it was he was looking for.

The loud thud drew his attention back to the elevator. Moving closer he could hear Ayaka chanting in a foreign tongue. Curiosity peaked, and Asura broke into a short jog while giving Nash a look of concern. Upon reaching the doors Asura was met with Ayaka laying on her back, and looking at her hands. "Everything okay?" Approaching her side, he offered his hand to help Ayaka to her feet. A wooden object in the corner drew his attention. "My my. What have you found?" Looking back to his friend he could tell she was in pain, and had what appeared to be burns on her hands.

=================================================================

Victoria was impressed at Nash's abilities. Spectral residue truly was a difficult energy to hone in on. Hearing the crashing in the elevator she could only assume Ayaka had been the source. "Nash, may I see you for a moment?" Victoria moved to the ladder, and made her way down as to be on a more respectable speaking level with him. "Impressive. I hadn't a clue you knew about such workings." She offered out her hand for the dagger, and motioned to the bodies. "Asura had a point. The souls would have to be stored within something, and if we can find that perhaps we can get the upper hand." In truth she wanted nothing more then to be done with this mission. Her team had been going none stop for the last six months. What ever the coven was doing by storing souls could not be allowed to pass. Even if it did involve her family.

"Hm?" Nash walked up to where the ladder met the floor, amazed at Victoria's sudden change of attitude. A significant amount of her fear had vanished into thin air at the mention of spectral residue, and she'd managed to climb down without difficulty or hesitation. Was it really that weird that the clock tower was clean of the stuff? "What if they've already used them?" Nash offered. Wild goose chases irritated him; he wanted to be sure this search would be worth their time. "Do witches ever eat souls, or do they just use them for spells?"

Aya got to her feet with Asura's aid, still examining her hands. Looking at the talisman, she spoke, "That talisman isn't here just by coincidence. Whoever committed these murders also left this here." She rubbed her slightly sore back with the backside of her hand, "Whatever you do, don't touch it bare-handed. I was being stupid, looking now I can almost taste how tainted it is." Aya pulled off her backpack, ignoring the stinging on her hands as she did so, and reached into it to find a small vile of Holy Water. Although her expertise lied in Buddhism, Taoism and Shintoism, she never failed to keep Holy Water on her person. It was sort of a go-to item, to use when all else failed.

She poured a small amount into her palm and proceeded to rub her hands together. She winced as the Holy Water steamed from her hands. "See? That talisman is expertly made. One touch and we have to cleanse with Holy water." Her hands still had light burns on them, but the pain was sufficiently less than what it had been. "What should we do with it? I am able to cleanse its taint, however I think that could be a little rash. We might be able to trace its Maker using it, but this is the first time I have seen a talisman like this so I don't know if that would actually work."

Victoria felt his questions were well placed. Taking a few steps back as to meet his gaze with a bit more ease. "Well Nash. Allow me to pass a bit of knowledge." She offered it with the utmost sincerity. Making a motion to the four dead she said, "It would have been difficult to clear the room of evidence had they set up any form of glyph. No, I would even go as far to say it would have been hard to remove themselves before the authorities arrived." Now making another motion to the dagger. "It takes time, and care to remove a soul from a body. Thus a dagger would not be necessary, nor would there be any reason to display the victims as such. I will admit I haven't been myself today, and as such made a few key mistakes. However the fact stands. With no residue, and no ritualistic aftermath the souls must have been stored into an object." Victoria slowly lost her smile as the thought that said object may no longer be in the tower.

Unaware of the findings in the elevator she shoved her hands into the coat pockets, and sighed. "I suppose we have everything we need. We should head back, and let the coroners do their job. I will be heading back to headquarters, and begin filing a report. Should you need me have Asura make the call." Victoria waited a moment, and eyed the blade in Nash's hand. 'If that is all the evidence we have it would be best to leave it with them.... If I send them about the city then maybe they could track them in some crude fashion.' Drawing her eyes from the blade she did a quick head count. Asura, and Ayaka were back towards the elevator. Nash being in front of her she had a feeling where she would find Lan. Moving to see past the somnus, little needed to be said of the irritation beginning to swell inside her. 'What a surprise here.'

Victoria Whipped herself towards the elevator, and shouted in an irritated tone. "It's time to go! Lan feel free to take your time, and take your findings to research when your done." She didn't bother to turn around, and let her foot steps become louder. It wasn't that she was angry with Lan herself, but more of her timid disposition that at times seemed to make her unable to focus. Victoria did not have the time for such things, and felt that this way Lan may be of use while letting her own emotions settle.

===========================================================

Asura eyed the wooden object, all the while moving closer. The detail in the piece was astounding. Hearing Ayaka's words of warning he stopped in his attempt to pick it up. If it had burnt her hands so, then it must hold some dark magic about it. Watching her dig around for holy water raised one question in his mind. 'What was it's purpose?' "What should we do with it? I am able to cleanse its taint, however I think that could be a little rash. We might be able to trace its Maker using it, but this is the first time I have seen a talisman like this so I don't know if that would actually work." Asura waited, and turned the notion in his head. "If we were to do that, we should inform Victoria first. I am unsure if it would even be possible." Digging around inside his coat for anything to indirectly lift the object with. He was able to find an old, multi purpose rag that he kept.

Laying the old rag down next to the charm, he was careful in the act of using his sleeve to knock it into a rolling motion. After a few attempts he was successful in his endeavor. Taking the sides of the cloth Asura lifted the talisman with care so not to loose it. "Are your hands alright?" His concern was short lived by the angry shout from their commander. Clearly something Lan did had upset her. Asura looked at Ayaka, and grimaced at the on coming foot steps. Wrapping the talisman up so to have better control over it he simply waited. "Looks like something set her off again." He hoped Victoria would have an answer regarding the talisman. If so maybe it wasn't too late to catch up with those responsible.

Nash considered what Victoria had told him. Although he'd certainly heard of it, he'd never seen a soul separate from its body before. He wondered what sort of object could contain something as wondrous and limitless as a human soul. How big would it have to be? Would it be okay to touch it once they'd found it? Would Nash be able to detect any panic or fear, or did things like that require a body to channel those emotions? The somnus was about to pose these questions to Victoria when she whirled around and started shouting for Lan. Poor thing. What had she been doing all this time? Nash hoped it was important to the case, for her sake.

"So, what will we be doing next?" Nash asked. He built his illusionary disguise back up, making him appear completely human once again, as he followed after Victoria towards the elevator.

Ayaka shuffled to the side, allowing more room for Nash and Victoria to enter. She leaned against the railing, doing her best to stay clear of her Commander's path. Aya had always had a deep respect for Victoria, but she knew that Victoria needed some space to calm herself down. "Oh yeah the elevator. . . " She murmured, squeezing between everyone and kneeling down in front of the elevators controls. Flicking the switch back on, she eased around Asura, careful to not bump the talisman, and stood next to Nash.

"Commander, I stumbled upon something interesting in here." Aya made a small motion toward the object. "I know it has to do with these murders, it is not something that someone would just casually leave somewhere. In the past, I used a talisman to trace its Maker, but it was quite different from this one so whether or not that would work is unknown." She shifted her feet, "What do you two think?" Aya cast glances at Nash and Victoria. "Also, whatever you do, do not touch it bare-handed." She remembered at the last minute, ignoring the small stinging on her hands.

Taking Nash's question into account Victoria, slowed down from her hurried pace. "I feel that between Aya, Asura, and yourself. We may be able to track them. I just need a moment please." She moved into the lift, and took her place. Asura had something in his hand that was wrapped in an old rag. Not bothering to bring it into question her thoughts began to stir. 'If I send them with the dagger it would hone in on possibly the leader of those who did this. However, if I were to go myself would I be able to simply leave afterwards?' Glacing back at Asura while Aya had gone to work the lift controls, she came into another question. 'If he feels something is wrong, I will never be able to lose him in the city.'

Victoria could see it now. Attempting to leave her squad to deal with this matter herself, while they were being lead by Asura via scent alone. She would use the dagger to guide her. Approaching their hide out, which she assumed may be her families mansion. Would be easy enough, she would find their leader,, as to allow matters to be dealt with by family. Her squad would make an attempt to gain entry. It would be a blood bath. One that would destroy any chance that she could ever have to go back to the organization. They would hunt her to the ends of the Earth till she was dead. All because Asura could never seem to go against one of his gut feelings.

Biting her lower lip she knew that a clear plan could never be made while her anger towards Lan flared as it did. Her concentration was broken as Aya brought a new finding to her attention. Fallowing the direction she was pointing, Victoria's vision was block by the old rag now inches from her face. Holding her hands out she took the item from Asura. Looking towards Nash bewildered, she turned with it letting him see while unwrapping the object. Once in the light she could practically letting off it's own dark force. A dark force she knew too well. This was the magic of a powerful witch, and clearly had something bound to it. As Ayaka said her warning Victoria came across a new plan.

"These carvings, I know them." She gave a solemn gaze back towards the bodies. "This is what they used to capture their souls. I fear our little case just got too big for us to handle alone...." She had not liked the idea of being the only squad in London at present, nor did she welcome the idea of having to call in another squad. A great deal was still missing from the overall picture events had made. If she waited too long, then by the time help arrived it would be too late. Calling them in too soon may result in disciplinary action for wasting resources. Regardless it would take most likely twenty four hours before back up came in. Needing more information she decided that the game of cat, and mouse was over.

Forcing the talisman into Nash's long, hands. Victoria began digging for a knife. "This will not last long. You three will be tracking the creator of this device. I will take the dagger, and put in a request for assistance. They will want more information, so be quick." She found a small blade inside the coat. Taking off the trench coat in a hurried fashion, she knew doing this would hurt far more then it might help. The enchanted leather sleeves that the organization made Victoria wear severely limited her natural abilities. Taking the knife she began to cut the latches off from one of the arms.

The sleeve fell to the ground, and let off a faint light, before degrading into dust. Allowing time for her magic to begin flowing into the arm Victoria mentally prepared for the next step. "Victoria, surely there is another way?" Meeting Asura's eyes she could tell he was concerned. She felt he was referring to the dependency her kind had with their power. "We haven't the time, nor the luxury. Now stand back, and let me have my space." Not checking to see how the cold words affected him, she quickly slid the blade across her hand. Saying focused knowing that the spell would fail other wise, Victoria began to chant while holding her bleeding hand over the talisman. "Sanguis sanguinem. Tuus venio ad te. Quem quaeritis, sinite ad iter. Per Dominum. Per viam terrae. Ego præcipio tibi."

As blood rushed from her hand the crimson fluid began to turn a inky, thick, Black. Grapsing the talisman firmly with the cut hand, she brought it close to her face will turning to Ayaka. "Mauris auctor huic periisse. Et afflues, adventu tuo. Donec iterum non cesses te faciente. Vade cum pulmones aere, et vita. Ego præcipio tibi, ut faciam voluntatem meam." With the spell complete Victoria blew into her hand, and the talisman began to pulse with energy. Holding it towards Ayaka, she motioned for her to take it. "It is now bound to you. It will lead you to it's maker. The harder it beats the closer you are, now please hurry. The spell will not hold for long, and we need all the information we can get."

Her arm dropped limp, and the flow of blood seemed to stop. Extending the sleeved arm towards Nash she motioned to the dagger. "Give it to me. You three go, and if there is any trouble run. I want to see you all by sun down."

Nash's curious gaze went from Ayaka's face down to the cloth-wrapped object in her hands. He noticed that her hands were burnt in places, and suddenly whatever was in that cloth seemed much more dangerous. If Nash's delicate fingers were injured to that extent, it could spell disaster. He took a nervous step back as Victoria unwrapped the thing Ayaka had found, unsure of what to expect from something that posed such a threat.

It was a decent-sized wooden circle, inscribed with magical symbols that Nash didn't recognize. He was about to ask what the symbols were for, but Victoria beat him to the punch, explaining that Ayaka had seemingly found the one thing they were looking for. That thing held human souls? Nash had been expecting something clear; the fact that he couldn't see the talisman's contents was somewhat disappointing.

Nash reeled back slightly as Victoria shoved the talisman into his hands, the witch's fingers brushing against the seemingly empty space where Nash's spindly digits were cloaked by illusion. Even though he was clearly protected by the cloth, just holding the thing was making him very nervous. Thankfully Victoria took it back just as quickly. Hearing that it had been bound to Ayaka and not him relieved him further, letting him focus on the task at hand.

"Alright," he said, nodding to Victoria and handing her the intricate dagger. He almost forgot he'd been holding it. "Please be careful," he added, seeing how tense she was. He didn't need her getting hurt unnecessarily.

Aya tried to keep her hands from trembling when she took the talisman from Victoria's hands. It wasn't that she didn't trust Victoria's spell, more of a reflex. She could still sense the strong energy from it, the stench making her a little nauseous. Clearing her throat she spoke, "With all due respect Commander, will using your power be okay?" Worry was clear on her delicate features.

The elevator reached the bottom floor and with a soft Ding! the doors opened up widely. Although she should have been expecting it, she nearly dropped the talisman when it beat in her hands. This thing is so eerie. She couldn't help but think. When it beat again as she stepped out of the elevator, Aya felt much more at ease, realizing she could feel Victoria's magic.

Aya took a deep breath and turned to them all with a determined face, "Let's go." Looking her Commander in the eyes she added, "Please be careful, and when this is all over we can eat together, yeah?" She warmly at her team. Ayaka always invited them to food upon completing a mission, this time she did so early because she felt like everything would work out well if she did.

Asura knew full well that Victoria was making a mistake. There were far better means of tracking the makers of the talisman. Such as going to the head quarters. The fact that now she was free to use her powers at a whim worried him even more. Having known her for almost thirty years he could say that when it came to her gifts, Victoria had little restraint. The fact she felt this was the best coarse of action hurt him deeply, as with anyone who came into his make shift family became a dear person to whom he would protect with his life. However she had requested space, and he wanted little to do with the tainted energy that was Blood magic.

As the elevator began it's decent he watched her practically forcing the talisman towards Nash. Who's discomfort was written through out his body language. Asura shared the feeling with him. He had seen the corrupting influence of this type of magic before. It had lead to the mass extermination of the larger coven houses. The call to power often became too strong, and those with the blood to magic often sought out demons. Asura could not bare to see such a thing happen to Victoria. Surely she would simply return to their base, and get a new sleeve made up. Surely she would not to anything rash.

The air changed once the elevator doors opened. With the young Ayaka being in charge of the talisman Asura felt a bit more at ease. The fact Victoria didn't seem to regard Ayaka's statements did not worry him. 'Simply follow order Asura. She needs time to clear her emotions.' He moved off the lift after Aya. Maybe this time they could get some answers.
================================================================

Less then five miles away. A gentleman entered into a small cafe. It had been marked with one of the ESNA symbols as being open to those not bound by mortal limitations. Taking off his hat, the man had a worried look on his young, boyish face. Ruffling his dark hair, and taking a moment to catch his breath he looked around the room. 'No trench coats..... Good. I wish they would pick something that stood out more.' The young man sighed with great relief. After this morning he had been extra jumpy, and just the sight of someone in a trench coat had been enough to unnerve him. '' Who even wears those coats at this time of year?'

Moving towards an empty table he pulled out a chair, and took his place in the mostly vacant cafe. Getting off the street was enough to settle his nerve, and he could not return to the mansion yet. It was too risky. The boy looked around the room again. The person he was suppose to meet had not seemed to have shown yet. "If you continue to act as such it will draw attention." From behind him another man moved along the right side of the table. Looking at him through darkened sun glasses the man looked more like one of those action heroes you would see in movies. "Please, don't sneak up on me. My nerves can not take it right now."

The two men sat at the table for a moment in silence making eye contact only briefly before the young boy glanced downwards. "I do hope you have not called he here to simply waste my time." Clearly the man had little time to talk. Dealing with an old family of vampires was always about quick to the point conversation. "N...no I just wasn't sure how to start." The young man attempted to give a disarming smile, and a lighthearted laugh. Both of which received a raised eye brow from the other. "My mistress requests an audience with your patriarch. She sent me here, as she is unable to meet in person at the moment." "What does this meeting regard?"

The quickness at which the man replied caught the boy off guard. "Um... The.. expansion of your family, and the restoration of your status. She would simply like to extend an invitation." Playing a game of which thumb was stronger under the table out of sight, The boy watched as the man pulled out a phone, and began to write a text message. After an awkward minute of avoiding the man's emotionless face the phone vibrated. "Tell your mistress to be at Regent's Park a midnight. If she makes Him wait there will not be another meeting." The vampire got up, and headed for the door. The whole meeting had been unnerving to the young boy, but it had gone well. 'While I'm here I guess I should get something to eat. I can always just text Mistress Sepelio. Then at least we don't have to meet up.... Hopefully I hid the talisman well enough too.'

Reactions: Moogle-Girl
Closer to Dusk:

Ruby walked down the road with regret. She, and Miles, had fought shortly after the group entered the clock tower. Mostly over the fact that Ruby often got lost in her work. Her short sightedness had caused her to become hard to deal with, and had lead to a heated discussion. 'Maybe I should call him....' She pulled out her phone, and pulled up his number. Looking at her phone for a long moment, Ruby just wanted to apologize. 'What should I say? I don't want him angry at me, but how should I go about this?' Keeping her phone from going dim she looked up, and pretended a near by fence post was Miles. "Hi! I didn't except you to answer. Look, I'm sorry I attacked you over your parents, and called you useless." Ruby tilted her head, and gave the fence post an innocent smile. "This is stupid....."

Deciding the best coarse of action was to write a text she began typing one out. Miles, I'm sorry. I lost my head, and had no right to say such things to you. Could we meet up? I'm at Regent-. The text was sent when she was rudely shouldered by two men walking past her. "H.. Hey watch where your going jerk!" Ruby put her phone in her pocket, and glared ahead at the two men. "Geez, you would think your parents raised you in a barn." "I would say more of a ruined house hold miss." Spinning about there was another man standing behind her. He was tall, and had broad shoulders. His hair being combed back, and clearly had not shaved within the past few days. What had caught her the most were his eyes, as they were an unnatural, Red color. "My friends did not mean to be rude. If you will allow me to ask for your forgiveness on their part it would be most pleasant." The man did a slight bow, never breaking eye contact with her.

Ruby did not understand what was wrong with her. She seemed awestruck by the man, but her body refused to move. 'What's going on? My legs wont move. He's too close! Why can't I move?' Frozen in place the man gave her a gentle smile, and softly took her hand. Pulling it so that Ruby moved a few steps closer to him the man gave the back of it a light kiss, all the while never breaking eye contact. "Allow me to introduce myself." Letting her hand fall to her side the man stood up right, and kept his gentle smile on his face. "I am Tomas, and it is a pleasure to meet such a beauty such as you Ruby." Ruby could feel her face growing heart, and began to breath quicker. 'WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? I don't want this. Somebody... please... help.'

Tomas took her hand, and began to walk her down the road. Keeping his eyes soley on hers. "Come with me dear. I promise you it will be a night that you'll never forget." Unable to keep her legs from moving forward, Ruby felt her body begin to relax. In doing so the camera that was on her shoulder fell to the ground with a sound of breaking glass. 'I don't want to.... Where is everyone one? Why is this happening? Please someone.... help me..' The group of four walked down the street as the Sun finally gave it's last rays up to the creeping darkness of night. Ruby began to have a look of infatuation, and Tomas responded to it in kind. "Let me give you a taste of the rest of your life my dear." With that he pulled her close, and let his lips find her neck. Moments later she could feel something warm running down her neck, and the world slowly grew darker, and darker.

To research...

The words stuck to her like leeches and drained the will from her. Lan's knees buckled, momentarily and her entire form shook with a dry, silent sob. Her eyes remained dry, but the sensation of despair could not be displayed in such a way by one burdened with her affliction. Jiangshi did not cry, nor had she ever seen another vampire shed tears that were not crimson and full of rage. Instead, Lan's mouth turned down at the edges and she withdrew into herself; sliding the pieces of plastic into her pocket.

I took too long, again. I wish Commander Victoria would understand that I'm just checking facts. That I'm trying to help.

She had been using her phone, oblivious to the machinations and movements of the rest of the team; leaving her rooted in solitude as she had taken her search to the ethereal, infinite corridors of the internet. She had learned the name of the missing member of the family and had begun to compile her postulations into a sensible presentation. Her mind had raced, leaving her body as an empty shell for a moment. Her fingers slid into the pockets of her long coat, sliding over the smooth edges of the small epitaphs that remained for the Ashworth family. Aside from the lingering smell of blood and magic, she knew she was mostly alone; only the Commander lagging behind the rest of the group.

Deacon, Camilla, Marcel, Nora...and Lucilotte.

That was her name. The missing girl. Lucilotte. Her body was nowhere to be found amidst the drying blood and discarded cadavers. Lan tensed her fingers, retrieving the naked rectangle that housed her cigarettes and lighter. She opened it and slowly took a cigarette, tapping the bottom of the pack with her palm to force the lighter out and into her waiting hand. She closed her eyes, enjoying the mock darkness that came with shutting everything out. Lan struck the lighter, filling the quiet umbrage with a slight click and the quivering, faint orange of the dancing flame.

Research...

She exhaled, feeling the acrid air pass over her tongue and through her tightly pressed teeth. Lan let her eyes slip open, lowering the cigarette to her side and shifting on the balls of her feet; too anxious to contain herself. Victoria had been angry at her and the others had disappeared. She felt more like a ghost than a corporeal undead; and, perhaps, she silently wished that she were. Her feet moved sluggishly, one silent step after another from the rigor-stricken faces of the murdered sacrifices.

"Commander Victoria," Lan queried into the empty air, skirting around a corner and finding herself before the elevator she'd entered the scene through, "are you around here, somewhere?" Her tone was timid and muted, words punctuated by long, hissing breaths, air whistling around the side of the cigarette as she drew the tiny ember closer to her lips. "I..."

I what? What do I have to say...she's already made her decision. It's not my place to question my Commander. It's not my place, this...here...this job, this life. Damnit...

"One of the Ashworth family is missing, their youngest daughter, Lucilotte. It could be that, um," the echoes of her voice drifted back to her, if Victoria was around, she'd certainly hear her, "...they took the girl."

Of course they took her...that much is obvious. Why am I doing this to myself?

She clenched her hands in frustration, taking a few more steps.

"What I meant to say is that they've taken the girl and...she's alive."

Lan didn't know that as a certainty, but it would make sense given the general rules that Witches tended to follow. She cocked an eyebrow, looking around, turning to check behind her. The taste of magic, blood magic, kissed the air and drove her to hopping in place; fighting back the sinister whisper in the back of her mind. Though she didn't feed on blood, specifically, there was something alluring about the scent that made her extremeties cold and her core warm; almost like her heart had begun to beat again, albeit with poor circulation.

Suddenly, she was water, leaning against the wall beside the elevator as she struggled to maintain a grip on what she was going to say. The feeling rose and fell in waves, finally dispersing into a complete numbness throughout her being. Lan traced her fingers on the wall, quietly giggling to herself, pushing against it to stand upright.

"Commander...?"

She could've sworn she felt the woman, nearby...though it may have been the phantasmic imprint left by her magic.

Her magic...

Lan turned her head, staring down the hallway; back and forth. Victoria hadn't used magic in quite some time...the Jiangshi knew that the situation was serious and time was of the essence and, with realizing that, wished she could kick herself in the teeth without breaking her leg. The prodigious weight of her ineptitude fell on her shoulders, forcing her down to the ground; again, her long coat pooling around her small form as she drew her knees close and fixed her eyes on a spot near the bottom of the wall. There was no reason to hurry. If everyone had left...what reason was there to run.

She pulled the small stack of IDs from her pocket and looked them over, one by one. Looking at each detail of the Ashworth family's faces. Lan tried to envision the missing girl, combining their features into a pretty, porcelain thing that grinned in her mind before the image disappeared. It was her responsibility to save her. The team's, but more importantly; Lan's.

I've already failed everyone else. If I fail her...I'll quit. I'll let them burn me. I'll let them forget I ever existed.

"I promise, Lucilotte Ashworth, if you aren't already dead...I...we'll find you."

The Jiangshi stood and smacked the down button with her palm, covering the polished metal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He spat, cocking his head to the side and letting the indignation fly with fervor. The sun was setting on the horizon, casting the city streets in a pinkish glower that set electricity coursing through him.

I can't believe that bitch! Are you kidding me?! Useless? Me? After all the times I've fucking carted around equipment and spent my time with her hiding in bushes and stalking people! She's lucky I l-...whoa. Ok, chill, Miles! You need to chill. Bad, my man.

Miles ran his hands through his hair, tossing his hood back and letting the night air kiss his crown as he cocked an eyebrow at a passerby that glanced in his direction. They paid him no mind and he simply shrugged, taking long strides down the street; fully intent on going back home and drinking himself to sleep. Hell, that was his intent from the beginning; before Ruby had called.

Ruby...goddamnit.

As if by some act of providence, his phone buzzed violently in his pocket; rattling against his chest, demanding his attention. He retrieved it and flipped it open, lazily, an incredulous expression on his face as he saw who it was from.

Miles, I'm sorry. I lost my head, and had no right to say such things to you. Could we meet up? I'm at Regent-.

Weird. It struck him as insanely weird. Ruby rarely sent half finished texts and when she did the follow up was nearly immediate. He grimaced, stopping in the middle of the walkway; allowing the sparse other shuffling beings to pass him by as he pondered over it. His finger struck the key to reply, but, on instinct...and perhaps out of pride, he snapped the phone shut and changed directions.

Regent...Regent Park is about the only place she could get to so quickly. If she's not there, well, fuck, I'll just reply and apologize back. Maybe I shoulda done that anyway? Eh, whatever. It'll be alright.

Miles smiled his crooked half-smile and let himself let go of the tension that'd been with him since Ruby had barked insults at him and his parents. That was just the way things were between him and Ruby...they were friends, friends that enjoyed tearing out each other's throats every once in a while.

It'll pass, it always does.

He felt unreasonably smug as he strolled into Regent Park, moving by a few slackers near the gate and then by a few business people power-walking toward the entrance.

Probably afraid they'll be murdered or something. Paranoia always takes a deep root when a scene like this goes down. At least it's not some Jack the Ripper wannabe, picking off and dismembering hookers...

Combing the park was quick work, he and Ruby had met around here a few times. He checked the usual spots and started calling out for her, cupping his hands around his mouth, shouting; drawing glances from strangers as he did. He ignored them, suddenly jogging.

When he saw it, his heart froze and his arms dropped. It her was her camera, that old, clunky thing she loved so much; the lens shattered against the ground. Miles stooped to pick it up and brought it close to his face. There was blood on it, a small drop that rolled away as he watched.

What...

He was dumbfounded and stricken by the horror of it. She was gone. Someone had taken her. His fingers went to his phone and he dialed her number. If she didn't answer, he had work to do.

Goddamnit Ruby...answer!

The rings stretched for an eternity, finally interrupted by the sound of her voicemail. Miles shoved his phone into his pocket and turned away, holding the camera close, bolting off towards his apartment. Dread chased him, nipping at his heels and spurring him to move faster than he had in some time. His eyes watered against the wind, or so he wanted to tell himself, as he made his way from Regent Park and down the street; the sound of his footfalls echoing into the coming night.

Victoria slumped against the wall just outside of the lift after the group left. Magic in a sense could be likened unto a drug. The more one does it the less one feels the back lash, until withdraw sets in. Her head was hazy, and the arm she had freed was numb. A numbness that began to creep in an overtaking fashion. Victoria fought the sensation, and focused as best she could. 'This one will not have to be as strong... I just need it to last long enough to trail the owner.' Forcing her right arm upwards till her palm was close to her chest. Victoria took the crested blade, and reopened the last wound magic had shut. Bathing the dagger in blood she attempted to cast another spell. Forcing her mind to stay clear, and fending off the numbness that now threatened to over take her upper body.

"Revertere in deserto. Revertere in manum domini. Obsecro per sanguinem meum, et sanguinem meum postulat. Tolle tempus dono mihi. Exaudiet vocem meam, et per sacrificium. Duc me est semper. Praebeo vita mediante. Donec iterum lucetis faciam voluntatem meam." The blood on the blade began to emit a faint glowing light. Moving it from side to side in front of her, Victoria could tell this one would work on proximity, and would offer no direction in which to start her quest. "Well I did ask for time." Putting more of her weight on the wall she could hear the elevator heading down. For a moment she could not place who it could have been. 'Lan. It has to be Lan. I..... I will need her help.' Forcing herself to stand, Victoria held the dagger by her side, and shakily moved towards the door.

The cool night air had chased away the hot, summer day in London. The hustle, and bustle of the city had given way to the vibrant lights, and serene sounds of life in all forms, from human to insect. Vehicles found their places of rest, and the night crowd had decreased of late, mostly as the murders still had no culprits. Some however felt they were safe enough to travel the streets as they grew dark. Street lights illuminated the veins of the city, and with the spark of life the city held at night once again became became a vision of beauty. Above the clear skies allowed the moon to pour it's borrowed light over the city.

On Primrose Hill all was quiet. Life had moved on, and left behind the empty park. One could feel the calm in the area. The air through the trees, The distant sounds of the city, and the native insects of the night. A single man could be found breaking through the still summer air. Panic, and exhaustion had taken his expressions from him. He slowed his speed, and slumped into a nearby tree. Chest heaving it was all the man could do to take in air. Long had his run been, and longer still must he go before he could rest.

'I have to keep going. I have to find a place to hide. If they catch me it's all over.' The young man had been found earlier in a cafe during his lunch. He had managed to evade those who pursued him time, and time again. However by some means he could not grasp they would find him again. This chase had taken it's toll, and the young man did not have much left to give. 'If I can just make it to my Mistress they will regret their folly.' Pushing himself up he started once more on his run. Not much further now, and all his worries would be far away from his mind. As his foot struck the ground a thunderclap over took the silence all around him. His thigh all but exploded outward, and drove him to the cold ground. The pain he felt was so great that no sound could escape his lips. Confusion over took him, fallowed closely by clarity. A gun shot. Fired by one of his pursuers, and it had taken the only tool he had left.

Asura had grown tired of their game with this man. For someone a good foot shorter then himself, he had speed above all else. Having seen the man fall left Asura feeling relived, while disappointing him. It had been far too long that a hunt such as this had happened, and he had hoped to end it without the use of the fire arm which had done it's own fare share of damage to his sensitive ears. Exhaling he returned said arm to it's holster. The hallow point ammunition the weapon fired would insure the victim would not being fleeing yet another time. The shot however would attract unwanted attention.

==================================================================

Asura looked around him. Unsure of if his allies had been able to keep pace with him while moving through the city streets. Picking their forms out moving into the area through the trees set his mind at ease. Rising to his feet he began to move towards the man a top the hill a good Eighty yards away. ''Now you better have been worth the chase for your sake my friend.' Asura closed in on the young man quickly. Standing over top of his prey, and grabbing him by the shirt Asura spun him into the tree close by. The man let out a harsh gasp when his body jarred from the force. "I'm going to make this easy for you friend. Tell me who you are, and what is going on. If you do I promise I will not lay another hand on you." After the day long game he would much rather just leave the wounded man to die, but that would be such a waste.

"As....." The young man winced in pain, and found a weak voice. "As if I would tell.... you, or your scum friends anything." Asura reached down, and forced his right hand into the mans open leg. Keeping his other hand over the man's mouth so not to let his screams travel too far. "I don't have time for games friend. I believe you have wasted enough of our time." Removing his hands from the man, and letting him drop to the ground, Asura looked to see how far off his friends were. 'I still have time.' Taking his right leg, Asura began to give powerful stomps to the man's shattered leg. Effectively flattening the meat that was left, and splintering what little remained of the bone.

=================================================================

The pain was unbearable. With each stomp his consciousness was refreshed, and the promise of slipping into shock was taken. Using his body as a make shift shield he took the next kick square on the back. "Please!.... Stop... Just stop." A few short moments passed before the cool touch of metal touched the back of his neck. "I swear to you. I have no problem pulling this trigger." There was few options left to him. Lacking the focus to cast spells, and lacking the ability to hold out against the pain he already had he broke. "I.... Their meeting in Regent's Park at midnight." A hand was clasped around his throat before he could say more. Back pressed firmly to the tree behind him, the man could hardly make out the other two figures coming into view from the gun that was between his eyes.

===================================================================

Victoria had let Lan know little. Other then the fact she was fallowing an enchanted dagger Victoria felt that the Jiangshi needed to know little else. Lan however had been greatly helpful in the fact she seemed to be able to hone in on where said dagger was leading them. "A park? What part of town is this?" For the most part Victoria's head was clearing up from the spells cast earlier in the day. Which had up until now left her mostly vacant to the world around them. 'What did I hope to solve with this? What possible good would I be in a fight as I am now?'

The blade was glowing a bright green, and putting off enough light as to make little need for any artificial light. Deciding it best to hide the light source Victoria dismissed the enchantment. They had come close enough to their goal to no longer need the device. "Lan, I don't know what to expect here. Keep an eye out as it may be best to flee if anything happens." Entering into the large open, peaceful are a sound broke through the still air. One that could not be mistaken for much else then that of a gun shot. Though distant, it was still unsettling.

================================================================

Sepi had grown tired of wondering around Regent's Park. 'I'm not to keep him waiting? I'm offering his shamed creature a chance to revive his family, and this is how I am repaid.' Looking back to the young girl, who Sepi had kept with her for simple amusement she let a smile cross her lovely face. "Lucilotte, would you not like a place to sit? After all you are my dearest guest. Shall we find a bench?" She drew close to the girl, and touched her nose to Luciotte's. Sepi had cast a binding upon her shortly before allowing her to once again have free thought. If the girl tried to leave she would surely regret it as a sensation of a great fire would over take the young girl.

"You don't have to look at me with such hatred. I'm only assisting you as well my dear." Sepi gave an amused giggle, as she took a few short steps backwards before gracefully transitioning into back bend, rolling from her hands back to her feet. She paid great attention to the needs of Lucilotte, and had gone out of her way to simply give her everything she needed. "Luci.. I'm going to call you Luci from now on. Oh my." Stopping, and turning towards her in a quick fashion Sepi looked her in the eyes. "I never introduced myself. How rude of me. My name is Sepelio, but you may call me Sepi."

Last edited by a moderator:
Breathing hard, Aya caught up to Asura and the man they had been chasing. She had heard the gun shot and knew that Asura had grown tired of running after this guy. She saw them at a tree, the man's leg looked bad. It was obvious that Asura used some force other than the gunshot. "I.... Their meeting in Regent's Park at midnight." Aya heard the man gasp out, his face contorted in pain.

As she approached them, she slid off her backpack and pulled out bandages as she inspected the man's wound. Stop the bleeding. . . She thought, her gentle hands beginning to wrap the wound. He began to squirm while she worked and she met his eyes with her own, "I am trying to save your life. You will bleed out at this rate, please be calm I know it hurts." Her voice and expression were both very soft.

This kind of thing was in her nature, trying to save people that probably didn't deserve to be saved. She didn't know what his punishment would be, but it would most likely be severe. At last, the bleeding began to stop, blood clotting around the wound. "Sorry Asura. . . " She mumbled, standing. She couldn't help it, the sight of blood made her think of that night. The night she joined ESNA. . . . She pulled herself back to the task at hand.

"My name is Edgar... I just want you to know that for your report." Closing his eyes Edgar wondered what being shot in the head would feel like. 'Will it hurt? Will I even have time to feel it? Why is he waiting?' Edgar opened his eyes to see that the man with the gun had lowered it, and was looking at the one who had bandaged his leg with a difficult to read expression. 'Asura.... Asura?..... Asura! I know him.' Despite his pain Edgar found he had the ability to smile. Though it was far more diabolical then happy. "You... You're Asura?..." Asura had turned to look the man dead in the eyes with nothing less then murderous intent.

Edgar's smile grew bigger; as he look at Ayaka, and Nash before returning his gaze to meet Asura's. "Now I see. It all makes perfect sense now." Raising his left arm, and laying across his attacker's Edgar pointed squarely at the werewolf. "You didn't think your crimes would be forgotten, did you? Should I tell them what tends to happen to those who come to trust you?" The grip on his throat tightened, and caused him to wheeze. Even if he had to die here, Edgar knew that the events to fallow would all have been put into motion by this one man. The thought of London burning, and that the bane of everything supernatural would be crushed under foot almost made his life ending worth it.

Fighting Asura's grip would be pointless, but if he showed fear it would only serve to satisfy his killer. In truth he didn't want to die. In truth he wanted to plea, and find away out of his situation. Keeping his eye fixed on the werewolf, and holding his diabolical smile was all Edgar had left. The anger it was causing the man, he felt was the last victory that could be had in life. 'My mistress has plans for you. I don't want to die! You, and your friends will never stop what is coming. I don't want to die! Your friends will have you to thank for their slow departures from this world Asura. I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!!'

Breaking down Edgar moved both of his hands to his throat. Clasping at Asura's own he clawed with what little strength he had left. Only to find that his was freed from the death grip, and that air could return to his body. As he was freed Edgar fell to the side, and began coughing violently. His wind pipe had almost been crushed, and every breath his body forced him to take felt of razors. Barely having the ability to breath stirred more apprehension in him. However not near the amount as hearing what was said next. "Better idea. Nash, are you hungry?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nash had an easy time keeping up with the others. Though the illusion around his body made him appear to run like any human, his thin, flexible legs meant he could keep pace without difficulty. He chose to stay back with Aya and Victoria, though, to keep from seeming suspicious as long as possible.

He watched from the back as Asura confronted Edgar, threatening him, wounding him. The darkness made it difficult for him to see, but without the light distracting him, every scent and sound reached his senses in crystal clarity. The stench of blood repulsed him, keeping him back, letting him idly absorb Edgar's fear and draw as much sustenance as he could from the magical creature's panic. But one thing made his ears perk up in excitement: the opportunity to go all out.

It had been a long time since Nash was able to unleash the full extent of his powers. He already knew that Edgar wasn't human, at least not entirely, so the fear he could draw wouldn't be particularly filling. But it would be fun, and he was always hoping for an opportunity for fun. "Always," he said in his whispy voice, putting on his best sinister grin. He let his disguise fall and shrugged off his trench coat, letting it fall to the floor, now looking down at Edgar with a mouth full of needle-sharp teeth.

Edgar probably thought that Nash intended to eat him, but that was far from the case. Nash always kept his victims alive; the dead were of no use to him. He stepped up to the poor unsuspecting man and stooped down to meet him at eye level. His long, pointed ears twitched at the sound of Edgar's pained breath, and his three nostrils flared at the scent of his fear. Slowly, Nash reached out a skeletal, clear-skinned hand and touched one finger to Edgar's forehead. For the briefest of moments, Edgar's overwhelming fear of death was his own, and he almost recoiled. But he was expecting that. Fear of death was too easy to prey upon; Nash chose to ignore it and delve deeper.

Running water. Loss of his Mistress. Being attacked by his vampire teammates. Was he a vampire too? It seemed that way at first glance, but something seemed a bit off. At any rate, Nash had stumbled across a few vampires in his hunts before joining ESNA, having mistaken them for vulnerable humans traveling alone, but he'd never had the chance to play with one. He blinked his pinprick eyes, and to the senses of Edgar and Nash, but no one else, their surroundings melted into the bottom of a river, the rush of currents filling their ears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.