October Knight

Hi-def
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
E- Readers

View attachment 2004

You've seen them, Devices such as the Kindle and the Sony reader. I find these completely pointless and a waste of money. Why would I buy a device that preforms an action my laptop, phone, or even mp3 player can do? It seems to me that people are getting so detached from the old school way of doing things that they need electronic devices for everything, just my opinion. Maybe I don't travel enough? Maybe I don't read enough? Maybe, for whatever reason, I just don't get it?

Anyways....

Whatever the reason, I see little to no point to these "E Readers"

What about you?

Do you own or use an E reader device?

While I can see the benefit to having one (saving shelf space, easy to carry around many books), I much prefer having a physical copy of a book in my hands. And the reason is simple: the smell of a good book can't be replicated by a device.

SCREW E-READERS. I'M GOING TO REMAIN AN OLD GEEZER AND KEEP MY BOOKS, BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHEN ALL THIS TECH REBELS AGAINST US, I'LL HAVE GOOD OLD BOOKS THAT WON'T DIE IF SHIT HITS THE FAN, MAN.

It's all about the Nook from Barnes and Noble, you can put pictures, .mp3s, and audio books on it, it has a library capability of over 17,000 books with the micro SD card (sold separately), you can get magazine and newspaper subscriptions set on your nook, and most books only cost $9.99 USD, when paperback bestsellers can go for up to $25.00 USD

/salespitch

Zypher worked for Barnes just as it was released so I know too much about it :/ But I really do like it!

The only reason that I'd get one is the battery lasts a month on a single charge. (Kindle)

Interesting. Anyone else have an opinion on these devices>?

Seems to me, the sudden influx of e-readers and associated e-books is a case of "mine is cooler than yours" regarding something that is literally useless to the bulk of people whose lives revolve around a computer. I must stress, this is only my opinion.

I hate the e-reader "phenomenon", because it makes the tactile "interface" of fingers on a page far from a reader's mind. Why is it that someone would be so lazy as to not either go get the book at a library, or buy it, then read it? This type of device, in my opinion, is a lazy way to read a book. Not to mention that the text is pretty unreadable on the things, in my opinion.