Duty to the Kingdom

Narit smiled, then turned and fell slightly back until he was in step with the man who had dismounted. "Maids? Not at The Quail's Egg, no. Just me 'n my aunt. I wouldn't mind a maid. Cleaning, and cooking, and fixing with just the two of us is too much." But he knew that would be impossible. The inn made enough money to feed the two of them and to keep the place clean and in repair, but feeding more mouths would be a hardship let alone finding the coin to pay hired hands. The original plan had been for his sister and brother to arrive at the inn after him, since he had the quickest feet, but he had sent a message home as soon as he had gotten to The Quail's Egg. Two was enough, for now, and the inn wasn't seeing so much business that it needed so many hands. Tonight might be such a night, but they would manage.

They'd take it! A group of four, no five! It had been a while since they had that many customers. He whistled, then, as he led them along, but it wasn't a familiar tune. His song carried a message that would reach his aunt. I'm bringing back five, the tune would say, They plan to stay for dinner and the night. Oh, he had forgotten just one thing, though. "You can pay, aye?" He perhaps should have checked sooner, but better late than never. If they couldn't, he wasn't quite sure what he'd say. He could live off stories, but his aunt would have his ears if he tried to feed five and their horses without getting any gold for it.

As they headed further into town, Narit saw again the tavern owner whom he had seen eyeing the group. The look Narit received was that of a competitor's face who was not gracious in defeat. What he had learned so far, though, from being in this town was that everyone respected that the customers were yours once you earned them. On the other hand, once the customer picked, they were yours for better or for worse. No one would try to take yours, but they also wouldn't help you if you had taken more than you could handle. Oh, but there was the fact that the tavern did have maids... It was probably better not to mention.

"Well, here it is." Finally, they came upon The Quail's Egg. It wasn't much to look at -- a simple two-story building. The sign was elaborate with fancy wording and a carved quail and nest of eggs. The stables were behind the building. Inside were just a couple of long tables. There was a counter on the left just as one entered to take names (and money), and on the right was a fireplace. In the back was a staircase that led up to the rooms on the second story. Beside the staircase was another door that led to the kitchen.

It was then that his aunt appeared in the front door. "Oh," she said, a little surprised. He grinned back at her in response. "I thought you were joking again, Narit. Did you get everything I sent you out for?" He ducked his head at that question, and didn't respond.

Instead, he turned toward the group, and said, "I'll take your horses."

His aunt, not wanting to appear an ungracious host, opened the door. "Well then, do come inside. My name is Amerwit Sraker. Welcome to The Quail's Egg."

"Well, I could dream," Ace muttered. But he knew the feeling of wishing he had a maid. Cleaning was the pits.

He and the others followed the boy to a two -floored inn. It didn't look like much but it was good enough for Ace. The palace was too gaudy for his tastes, so this side of home was something he could deal with.

After walking inside, they were met with a lady who came out to greet them

"Oh," she said, seeming surprised. "I thought you were joking again, Narit."

She knew of them? Ace raised a disconcerted brow. But how?

"Did you get everything I sent you out for?"

At that question, the young boy ducked his head, making Ace grin.

The boy turned around. "I'll take your horses," he murmured. It was clear that he wanted to escape, so Ace took pity and gave him an out. "But my horse likes to eat hair, for some reason," he groused mildly. "So watch out or you'll lose all of yours at a young age."

"Well then," the boy's aunt stated. "Do come inside. My name is Amerwit Sraker. Welcome to the Quall's Egg."

Ace took the lady's hand gracefully and bowed, placing a kiss to the back of her palm. "A pleasure, milady." Straightening, he motioned to himself and his companions. "I go by the name Ace, and these are..."

Holy crap, he never did learn their names... "Well we met together on the road and figured names were not important for the moment. And I would love to hang around and let them tell their stories, but they're rather tired. It's my duty to see to it that they get some rest and something in their bellies."

God, he sounded like a father. He grimaced slightly as he reached into his pocket. Well, a pocket that not many would ever think to look at. He pulled out a small satchel and rest it on the counter to his left. "I'm sure that should do..."

After speaking, Aliya nearly passed back out, but managed to cling to consciousness as the horse continued on. She still had no idea who was holding her in place, but she heard a male voice say 'Flower'. That was her name now, wasn't it? Her alias? Was she supposed to respond? She didn't know and couldn't think, and the thought soon faded away. Exhausted, pained, traumatized and hungry, there really wasn't much she could offer right now anyway if somebody needed help. She felt almost pessimistic for the first time in her life, and if felt terrible. Where was the sunshine in her thoughts?

She heard an unfamiliar voice that said something about Chadon. Wait, wasn't that the name of a town? She could almost pinpoint it. Pondering, she ignored most of the rest of what the boy said other than the word 'healer'. Oh, she could really use a healer right now! She wondered if her hands could even be healed to how they used to be, or if they would never be the same again. The sound of a whistled tune cut through her thoughts and her dimmed blue eyes slid to the side, eying the back outline of the boy responsible for the noise. Interesting.

Somebody set her on the ground - she assumed it was whomever had been holding her so that they could pass off the horse to the boy. She stood, wobbling a bit as she struggled to get her bearings. It was more difficult than it should have been. She felt dizzy and everything looked hazy, but she remained upright. It was a good thing that the blanket was wrapped tightly around her naked body since she wouldn't have been able to hold it shut, but on the downside, she couldn't walk even if she wanted to.

"A p-pleasure to meet you, m-ma'am," she stuttered out softly to the woman that she assumed was the innkeeper. That was all she got out before she collapsed, unconscious again.

"This is my fault."

This sentence,
The line,
It is all I can say to myself.

I make myself witness
The Branding and the Rape.
It is a good punishment.
A worthy punishment for my senseless compassion.
It is that which has gotten one of our own killed.

I cannot heal.

I realize this as we escape on our horses.
My heart is heavy,
My conscience is heavy.
Even my body is filled with stones.

I say nothing as my comrades
Ask for a healer.
I needn't tell them I have no power.
They know.

So I duck my head,
Keep my lips sealed and do as they do.
I hang in the back of the group
Like our lost Shadow.

Narit looked askance at the hair-eating horse, but gingerly took the reins. Surely he could outspeed the horse even if he couldn't outwit it. Once he had all the horses, he went out to the stable and gave them each their own stall and filled each trough with a bucket of water. This he did with unnatural speed. He still had to get the healer. While his aunt was accustomed to his flighty messages, Narit had found through experience that most did not take calmly to hearing words on the wind. He would rub down the horses and feed them properly later. Where later would have to be after he fetched the healer and returned to his probably thoroughly picked-through basket.

"Ace," Amerwit repeated, and then looked over the group as a whole, and then Flower fell unconscious again. "Oh dear. We'd best get her inside and set her on a bench. I'll grab a pillow to prop up her head." Amerwit held the door open for them and then went behind the counter to retrieve a pillow. Ace approached her then with a satchel of coins. It clinked heavily on the counter, or heavier than she had ever heard. What a crew! Between the unconscious girl and the coin, Amerwit had a feeling this group meant trouble. It would just be like Narit to find trouble she couldn't turn down. "Yes, I-I think this may be too much." She selected out a couple of the coins and slipped them into her pocket before pushing the satchel back across the counter. Following the satchel, Amerwit pushed across a pillow she grabbed from under the counter. "For the Lady," she said. "And I'll get some soup for the rest of you." She disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a tray with spoons and several bowls of soup. She handed a bowl to each of the still standing guests.

It wasn't long before Narit's next arrive. This time, he had a healer in tow. It was the sort of time only a purple would make when in need of utmost haste. True, Narit didn't know the severity of the group's situation, but he couldn't help feel pride that he could bring them help. "I brought Healer Venrish," he announced. The healer immediately went to tend Flower, but when Narit didn't leave immediately to retrieve his basket or further tend to the horses, his aunt dragged him aside.

"We need more food," she told him in a rushed whisper, "And we need to prep more beds."

"I just want to see if they're all right," he said, as concerned and unexcited as he possibly could. He would make due haste, soon, and perhaps he was relying on magic more than he absolutely had to, but who wouldn't? Nothing ever happened in Chadon, and now there was an authentic group of travelers staying at their inn!

Ace lifted Flower and carried her to one of the prepared rooms, leaving her to the healer's devices. He wasn't too worried if the healer's motives were unjust. The doctor would have to get through the rest of them before attempting to escape. Trekking back into the foyer of the inn, he undid his cloak and slung it over his shoulder before picking up the satchel. Everyone else unloaded, a few of them going into the room with Flower.

Walking over to Amerit, he rest a hand on her shoulder. "Excuse me. Miss?" After all, even if he was a bit crass in attitude and something of a lout on a good day, he couldn't exactly be idle while this good woman worked herself to the bone. He could at least tend to the horses and feed them, and brush their coats. "Do you mind pointing me in the direction to the nearest granary?"