Dunno where a thread like this would go.

P

Paorou-sama

Original poster
Basically this thread is about me making a collectible card game that you can play in a forum setting or real life without much need for programs or stuff like that. Since I'm still in development stages, I am opening this thread to work as an idea board for everyone to comment on what I've got so far.

WORKING TITLE: CHAMPIONS OF IWAKU - THE GOLDEN AGE -

Starting the game
To play this game offline: 2 players only. Each player needs a champion card and 9 skill cards.
To play this game in a forum setting: 2 players and one arbiter. Each player needs one champion card, and 9 skill cards.

- Players declare their repertoire. The repertoire is all the cards each player will use for the game. (Champion, and 9 skill cards)
- Players may exchange their repertoire (their total cards for the game) for scrutiny by the opposing player.
- If there are no problems with the repertoire choice of each player, they may place their champion on the field.
- The champion represents the character each player is playing. It determines what sorts of skill cards you can use in play and what style of play you will lean towards.
- Each player holds their 9 skill cards. This is their hand, and they do not reveal their hand unless a game effect directs them to do so.
- Start the first turn.

The turn

1. Initiative Phase - The players may flip a coin to decide which player has the initiative. The alternative is that a player may volunteer to have one of his faced down cards revealed so that he may have the initiative. The opponent may choose which card (first, second, third, fourth,or fifth) is revealed.

2. Planning Phase - Each player may put up to 5 skill cards from their hand face down on the field. The person with initiative, IRONICALLY goes second. (this is because the person with initiative can see if the opponent has any empty rounds or other such things, and react to them.)
- The order of the cards is important, so each player must mark them as first, second, third, fourth and fifth. (In the case of online play, they each tell the arbiter these cards.)
- The player with initiative reveals the card chosen by his opponent. (only if the alternative option is chosen)
- If a player puts down less than 5 cards, he must choose to mark the empty space as third round, fourth, or fifth, etc. -

3. Face-off Phase - The pairs are then segregated according to their mark, starting with the first. They are now called rounds.
- The current round moves through the phases until the resolution phase, then loops back to this phase, moving on to the next pair/round.
- Putting down no card means that this round is unpaired, and that 'winning' the round at resolution phase is forfeit.
- Certain abilities only work during this phase.

4. Revelation Phase - The players reveal the current paired off cards. They compare the power values of each cards, and take note of the abilities that modify these values. The winner is the revealed card with the higher power value after all abilities resolve.
- In the case of rounds with unpaired cards, the winner is automatically the player who put down a card.
- Unless explicitly stated, abilities written on the card only go into effect at revelation. -

5. Resolution Phase - The winner of the revelation phase gets to decide what sort of bonus he gets for winning.
Choose from the following:
- He gives the opponent a damage counter.
- He disables the beaten skill card. (it goes into the disabled pile.)
If the opponent has more damage counters than his champion's life value, he loses the game.
If the opponent runs out of skill cards, he loses the game.

= If this is not yet the resolution of the fifth round, move to the next round and go back to step three : face off phase. Otherwise, move to the sixth phase.=

6. End Phase - Each player collects all skill cards not moved into the disabled pile and puts them back into his hand. Move back to step one and start a new turn. Certain abilities may come into effect at this phase.

I need some ideas for card layout and types of spells/etc. If you're interested in designing, here's the needed info:

Champion Card
Name: The card's name. Example : Furrow Insayne
Will: The Player's Life points. Example : 6
Style: A declaration of your repertoire's limitations. If it cannot be met, it usually means you've lost he game. Example : Must play a Reality Bending Skill at least once every turn, or play no skill at all.
Abilities: The positive effects of using this champion. Example : If you win a resolution, you may reveal a card of your choice during the face-off phase of the next round. It's effects immediately come into play.
Quote: More for flavor than anything, it is mainly used to give a description of the champion that mechanics can't seem to convey.Example : "I'd tell everyone what I do for a living, but that'd make the 'secret taskforce under the mad king' part of my job description pointless."

Skill Card
Name: The card's name. Example : Golden Perception
Power: The potency of the skill. Example : 3
Type: The skill's type. Important for style and many effects that affect other skills.Example : Reality Bending, Light, Anomaly
Effect: The ability's other effects other than destroying things, if any. Example : Upon revelation, its controller gets +1 Power this round.
Quote: More for flavor than anything, it is mainly used to give a description of the champion that mechanics can't seem to convey.Example : "The Mad King's signature ability. It's something he seems to share with a select few of his followers, though."

Skill Card
Name: Fearsome Aura
Power: 3
Type: Reality Bending
Effect: All cards revealed with starting power 1 or less have their effects nullified
Quote: Through sheer intimidation, silly stall tactics cease to be a viable option.

AH A CONTRIBUTOR!

I guess it's my fault for not showing the cards yet, but that card you presented is a bit overpowered in that the general rule is lower-valued cards have more powerful effects outside beating the opposing card.

At 3, you just nullified a lot of technical players, and assured that you can beat out power 2 cards with this card.

Maybe if the condition is slightly changed to 'activated upon winning the round', or 'nullify the effects of the opposing card if it has power less than fearsome aura.' or if it is unpaired - then we'll have a proper fearsome aura card.

Well, the key to making something like this is having already made classes, so I know what types of cards I can effect, as well as how it works exactly. Do all the rounds happen simultaneously, as to where they can affect each other? or are they each separate and unable to influence one another?

I believe there is much potential behind all of it. And perhaps entering in other things to make the game even more tactful such as elemental champions/abilities. Creating a card zone for either field effects (which could enhance elemental power and such or change something about the battle phase) or enchantments that basically would do the same thing.

And, even though I'm still not sure, have allies as well. But they only get something like a vertical/horizonta/four corners dealie with with their powers and they have to take out their assigned ally before attacking the champion. I'd have to see the power of the created cards thus far to gauge what is powerful and what isn't to generate suggestions. But that's all my two cents for now.