Dungeons and Dragons

What was your experience playing D&D online?

• I haven't ever played D&D, online or otherwise.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I've only played in person.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I have played online and I liked it.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have played online and I did not like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

s p o o k

the dead boy
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Transgender
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Smut, M/s in particular. Apocalyptic. Romance. Open to lots as long as there is some significant relationship planned between the characters.
A game I'm sure we all know and love~

I'm in a campaign right now that hasn't had a session in a few months, which sucks!!! Big sad. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of other players near me and I'm not the social butterfly capable of running out to the local game store to find a new group... so naturally, I'm thinking about online games.

Have you played an online campaign? Did it work out? What were some of the pros and cons?

I really miss playing. I have a friend who plays with people who've moved all over to they now skype their game, which seems like a fun way to play if everyone can get together at the same time. Been a long time for me, but I really miss it.

I started with the original game and the HUGE faerun maps. Took forever lot level up but it was fun. The versions now are so open. There were a lot more rules back then and restrictions, but I think the game played better that way.

Pretty much all my D&D takes place online. I play in two campaigns and run another one over discord. I also run one for some IRL friends but that mostly happens over facebook video chat due to geographical and time constraints. I think it works well. You perhaps need to be a little loosey gooesy in combat and not worry to much about exact distances, although one of my GMs recently introduced me to a website you can use for live action maps which can help. All in all, 10/10 would D&D online again.

So far I've only had like, 3 games of dnd with 3 different groups, thanks to highly mobile life.

The first one went on rather quick and basically one of the members screwed up big time, leading to us all getting slaughtered. The second one I accidentally midmaxed somehow and my character was basically Guts. Really fun time, and we finished this one.

These were offline.

The third one was in text form on discord, which ended before it really began because everyone got busy or bored.

Personally I prefer offline because people seem to tend to think on the fly and you can see motions and all that, which makes things kind of nice. But I can imagine online wouldn't be too bad either through some voice app or something. Text isn't bad but it takes a bit longer to play (from my one time experience.)

Reactions: s p o o k
So far I've only had like, 3 games of dnd with 3 different groups, thanks to highly mobile life.

The first one went on rather quick and basically one of the members screwed up big time, leading to us all getting slaughtered. The second one I accidentally midmaxed somehow and my character was basically Guts. Really fun time, and we finished this one.

These were offline.

The third one was in text form on discord, which ended before it really began because everyone got busy or bored.

Personally I prefer offline because people seem to tend to think on the fly and you can see motions and all that, which makes things kind of nice. But I can imagine online wouldn't be too bad either through some voice app or something. Text isn't bad but it takes a bit longer to play (from my one time experience.)
There's a website called roll20, I think, that gives a lot of tools for doing online campaigns. I've had some luck in using that in combination with like, skype or some other voice/video chat system.

Reactions: Ser K+
Roll20 for the actual (virtual) tabletop and Discord for voice chat/OOC bullshit is a handy combo, in my experience. Though Roll20 does have in-built VoIP.

I started to play last summer, I believe? It is fun and I always look forward to playing again!

So far I have only played dnd on Discord, with which the only con would be internet stability and microphones (guilty). Otherwise the internet has a bunch of tools that can help you set up a decent game. Time is always a problem no matter the set up because you're trying to get people together.

• Haha
Reactions: s p o o k and Applo
I love playing D&D. My group plays 5e and we've been going through dragon heist. But that DM has been busy so we've been playing Pathfinder (1st ed). We had a total party wipe last session and started writing new characters. I stuck with the same class because I had the best chances of living. But now I have a bit more fun built into the character. I can't wait for next session!