Dungeons and Dragons 5E (Homebrew world)

L

lostfaith

Original poster
I've been itching to DM a campaign for a while, and I was curious to see if there was anyone on Iwaku who'd be interested in a Discord based campaign (I might learn a little roll20, but only to do miniatures and maps). I run a homebrew setting called Empire's War. Most of the adventures I've written for it take place on a continent called Eletos centering around a theocracy and a magical autocracy at war with each other, but I've been developing the northern continent, Tenebra, and was thinking of a campaign where war refugees from Eletos flee northward to Lywin, a coastal Luskan-esque city-state on Tenebra. I have an overarching plot in mind involving the legend of a ghost called the Pale King, but the first few levels would find the players caught up in a racial gang war in Lywin between opposing street factions of orcs, elves, kobolds, etc, sort of like Shadowrun's Ancients or Sons of Sauron, if Shadowrun took place in a medieval fantasy world instead of a cyberpunk fantasy world.

I use some minor house rules (such as making ability score improvements based on character level and not class level), but nothing earth-shattering. My DMing style is focused on description and world-building; I love to write characters and settings. As far as combat, I pride myself in designing strategic encounters that require thought to defeat instead of brute force. Some examples of "boss fights" I've run in previous campaigns":
A fiendish Abominable Yeti with several Yeti minions supported by unkillable ice tornadoes that tried to freeze players, then ignored the PCs as the battle waned down in favour of healing the boss for his final stand.
A yochlol wielding a minor artifact called the Obsidian Rod that allowed her to create a demiplane of several floating islands where she had control of gravity, allowing her to skip freely between platforms while hindering the players.
A wind-sorcerer/warlock fought in a room with permanent gust of wind spells pointed toward the PCs, cutting their movement toward him while unaffecting his horizontal movement; he also had special actions to fly around on the wind (this one was fun because the players had a summoned air elemental that ended up getting a poetic kill on the boss).

The other most important thing to know about me as a DM is that I love to write character options. I'm in the process of writing an elemental spell expansion pack to fill in the gaps in the 5E spell list (for example, do you know that acid has only two spells? Yep, Melf's Acid Arrow Vitriolic Sphere. My pack adds quite a few more, such as Acid Mites to summon animated blobs of acid that attack things, Deadly Fountains which summons acid geysers at multiple points on the ground, and Water to Acid to do exactly what it says on the tin). Besides spells, I've written a lot of subclasses to tie into cultures in my world. Some examples include Fey Domain for clerics (uses charms and illusions), Giant Slayer for barbarians (gnomish technique that focuses on fighting larger creatures), College of Spirits for bards (tradition of harnessing dead spirits for magic from a culture of ancestor worship), and Shinobi for rogue (elite order of spies from a northern nation of mystics that uses magical techniques of stealth and illusion). If I do run a campaign, I'll post full lore and gameplay descriptions for all my subclasses and spells, but if all the new stuff overwhelms you, don't worry--none of it is necessary to know to play in Tenebra, and there's nothing wrong with just using vanilla spells and subclasses.

So yeah, this post ended up being way longer than I intended, but in short, anybody interested in a D&D 5E homebrew campaign? I'm cool with starting at any level from 1 to 5 depending on what the players want to do.

Hmm, so where would we get the sheets for this campaign and how often would you DM for this story (basically, what's the planned schedule for it)? And what supplies do we need for this campaign?

Reactions: Valentyne
I'm fine with any character generator you want to use; specifically, I prefer the fillable PDF sheets from WotC, though.

Every other week is my tentative plan, but I'm flexible on schedule. Friday and saturday are the best days for me, but sunday is the only day I can't do.

I have and use all the books currently published, but you could get away with just a pdf of the player's handbook. Dice are nice, but online rollers exist too, including roll20, so physical dice aren't necessary.

• Thank You
Reactions: junebug
I'm in.

I'm also in, and posting here just so I don't get left out of a head count because we talked outside of here.

Alright, I'll start getting stuff together to start this; shouldn't be terribly long.

Another major house rule I forgot to mention is this:

I use an ability score system called Heroic Standard Array. Instead of rolling for starting scores, everyone starts with a set of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, and 8, before racial modifiers.

• Useful
Reactions: Joan
Heads up I won't be able to participate. Thanks for answering my previous questions, but I've got too much on my plate right now.

Hi there, somebody poked me about this, and it looks very interesting! My primary concern is whether I'll be able to be around during the sessions. ^^

Apart from that, I've not actually played an actual game of D&D, any edition, before. Are you looking for players with some playing experience already?

Reactions: Joan
I'm so sorry I missed this post yesterday D: I must have not scrolled down enough.

I'm cool with new players, so long as you're willing to learn. The first thing to do is to glance over the Player's Handbook and get at least some idea of the mechanics. Besides that, I can teach you stuff as it becomes relevant while we play, and if you still feel confused later, I can sit down with you and answer questions.

Here's a pdf of the PHB:
http://www.elterritorio.org/resources/PH.pdf

So, I'm currently in the process of typing up all my handwritten work (mostly character options), but I wanted to get some info out there, and there's some stuff we need to decide as a group, so I made the Discord server.

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Jump on whenever you get the chance and I can start explaining more of the campaign world and premise, and when everything is typed up, I'll post an actual iwaku thread with all the info in one place.

I'm so sorry I missed this post yesterday D: I must have not scrolled down enough.

I'm cool with new players, so long as you're willing to learn. The first thing to do is to glance over the Player's Handbook and get at least some idea of the mechanics. Besides that, I can teach you stuff as it becomes relevant while we play, and if you still feel confused later, I can sit down with you and answer questions.

Here's a pdf of the PHB:
http://www.elterritorio.org/resources/PH.pdf

So, I'm currently in the process of typing up all my handwritten work (mostly character options), but I wanted to get some info out there, and there's some stuff we need to decide as a group, so I made the Discord server.

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Jump on whenever you get the chance and I can start explaining more of the campaign world and premise, and when everything is typed up, I'll post an actual iwaku thread with all the info in one place.
Okay! Thank you so much for your patience, and I am indeed willing to do what I can to learn.

Unfortunately, your Discord invite link seems to have expired already... :/

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-13_22-33-13.png
    upload_2017-6-13_22-33-13.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 4
I was wondering if there was some room for one more? Though I am an incredibly nervous and shy person, I've been in the mood to play some D&D but all my friends have been to busy to do so. :/ So I am doing my best to overcome my crushing anxiety to try and reach out to others, for once.

Anyways, let me know! As I do have a few questions about the game and what is and isn't allowed. :)

I was wondering if there was some room for one more? Though I am an incredibly nervous and shy person, I've been in the mood to play some D&D but all my friends have been to busy to do so. :/ So I am doing my best to overcome my crushing anxiety to try and reach out to others, for once.

Anyways, let me know! As I do have a few questions about the game and what is and isn't allowed. :)

Of course! You would actually make four, which is my ideal player size (not to discourage anyone else who might want to join, more is fine). You can hop onto the discord server; the link above should still be working.

Reactions: Takeshi Kage
Awesome! I will hop on when I get home in a couple hours. Sadly I am at work. :P

This setting sounds interesting!
I'd like to believe I have a strong grasp on 5e rules (I hope so: I've DMed and am currently DMing a couple of campaigns!), but I don't usually get to be a player. I'd really enjoy seeing how other DMs run their games, if you will have me. Of course, I'm fine with just being a spectator if you allow me - a 4-person party is the best number for D&D.

A few questions between fellow DMs:
What's the pacing of the story? Will we be constantly moving, pushed onward by limited time and urgency, or will this setting allow more chances to rest and catch our breath? More to the point, how often will we experience downtime and long rests?

What's the pacing of leveling? On the mechanics side, will we be number crunching with XP or will we have milestones for level ups?

Will we have a Session Zero? I do enjoy these sessions, though one of my groups is skeptical of their value. In other words, will us players work on our characters together to make a close group with a reason to stick together, or will we be a rag-tag team that the DM brings together?

What books are allowed? Will it be just the Player's Handbook and your own homebrew, or will the other companions be available for players?

I may have a few more, but they'll probably be answered when the thread pops up~

This setting sounds interesting!
I'd like to believe I have a strong grasp on 5e rules (I hope so: I've DMed and am currently DMing a couple of campaigns!), but I don't usually get to be a player. I'd really enjoy seeing how other DMs run their games, if you will have me. Of course, I'm fine with just being a spectator if you allow me - a 4-person party is the best number for D&D.

A few questions between fellow DMs:
What's the pacing of the story? Will we be constantly moving, pushed onward by limited time and urgency, or will this setting allow more chances to rest and catch our breath? More to the point, how often will we experience downtime and long rests?

What's the pacing of leveling? On the mechanics side, will we be number crunching with XP or will we have milestones for level ups?

Will we have a Session Zero? I do enjoy these sessions, though one of my groups is skeptical of their value. In other words, will us players work on our characters together to make a close group with a reason to stick together, or will we be a rag-tag team that the DM brings together?

What books are allowed? Will it be just the Player's Handbook and your own homebrew, or will the other companions be available for players?

I may have a few more, but they'll probably be answered when the thread pops up~

Pacing: I vary a little in different stages of the story, but my usual two systems are either giving the players an overarching goal in an area that they accomplish at their own pace (within a reasonable time limit), or giving the players another short term goal every few days of in game time and letting them pursue side quests and rest in between.

Leveling: I use a complete milestone system; no exp at all. Generally I prefer to level characters relatively fast because I think the dynamic of increasing power is an important one to provide variety in a player's option, but we won't be going at breakneck speed.

Session Zero: Probably not really; we can take some time to discuss if any of the other characters know each other and stuff like that, but I know how the campaign starts, and it will be a coincidence if anyone knows anyone else.

Books: Everything, up to and including UA.

Hi, I kind of have a nitpicky question here so here goes. How the session will work, are we going to have a live session where everyone is there to write or something else? If it is a live session, what exact time are you mostly available in and please include the timezone as well, difference in timezone kind of hinders me on joining these DnD campaigns with live sessions.

Forgive me for suddenly disappearing. It turns out I have less time than I expected, so I must woefully admit that longterm roleplays (especially forum roleplays) are still too much for my schedule. I wanted to join this because I thought my schedule was lightening up, but unfortunately that was shortsighted on my part.

I do wish you all the best of games and to create many enjoyable encounters in this, but I'm afraid I won't be enjoying Iwaku for some time to come. Thank you for answering my questions, though~ Hopefully they'll be of some use to other, more free people!

Hi, I kind of have a nitpicky question here so here goes. How the session will work, are we going to have a live session where everyone is there to write or something else? If it is a live session, what exact time are you mostly available in and please include the timezone as well, difference in timezone kind of hinders me on joining these DnD campaigns with live sessions.

It will be live, on discord, through text (if anyone wants to use a microphone they can but it's not an option for me personally).

My time-zone is central (GMT -6 I think?), and I'm most available from 20:00 to 23:00.

Oh my, that's more than 12 hours gap from my time. Given that time I guess I'm only available on Friday-Saturday on your time. Oh and one last question, how is the frequency of the sessions? Am I going to expect a session every single week or more/less frequent than that?