Dream Dive Nightmare

Amenia waited patiently for the return of Lain. She made herself some coffee, and got a blueberry muffin. She sat down at the kitchen table and began to eat. What the heck was taking Lain so long? Of course, she wouldn't be lucky to get a responsible Familiar. As she finished, she heard a scream from outside. She bolted up and ran outside to find Lain sitting there "Pommie- I mean Lain, you were supposed to bring me a paper, right? What don't you get? You aren't in a Dream Dive- you are caught in Nightmare, and there is no getting out! You belong to me, so you better start doing what I tell you to." Amenia exploded.

Carnival of the Dammed

Ruviet was snapped instantly from her daze once the master's voice caught her ears. She dashed from her hiding place to stand about a foot or so behind him. It was a little embarrassing running back to him seeing as she had left him so suddenly to chase the Newcomer, but she had very little pride. She stood waiting for his reply to Kate's reply. Despite what the master thought, she was very interested in the girl. In the end it would be his final word that sent her away or spared her to live among the Freaks. Ruviet hoped, almost desperately, that he would be merciful this once.

~Steam City~

"That seems like a big quest for a beginner," the confused pom-boy stated, tapping a finger on his chin, tail wiggling back and forth, "What kind of miss—" He had started to say when his Partner bolted from the door demanding for the paper. The next words that came from her month had him at a loss. Was his first mission to please her? And what was this Nightmare talk? He pointed a thumb in the girl's direction and titled his head, curiously looking to Hiru, "Do you have any idea of what she's talking about?"

A loud scream filled with smoke hit the air as one of the early morning trains began to take off. Lain had to hold his head, cupping his ears—it was so loud it was excruciating! He squeezed both eyes shut, and once the call of the train faded, he opened one eye wide. The ground shook beneath them. It was common in Steam City, that the high powered steam engines shake the vast metropolis.

~The Sea~

Seeing as the girl was already on the run, Sydius didn't have much time, however, a poorly executed plan would be following her directly, as she would then be made aware she had a stalker. Her appearance was more than unique, in such a way the pirate could actually use it as a tool. The village on the Sea was always crowded, and someone would have to see her running and in which direction. Taking his time, he finished his beer, tabbed out and walked past the panicking masses. The screams of anyone running from the pub were muddled and drowned out by the bustle of the stone streets.

The rumble and roar of thunder had him taken aback and he glanced to the sky—blue skies littered with clouds stretched into the ocean as far as the eye could see. So what the bloody heck was that powerful shaking? His light eyes then saw it: a contraption made of metal and steam was headed their way. What was someone from Steam City doing here? And transporting by robot, no less. The pirate had never been much of a fan of the robotics—especially not of the Inventors who built them.

~Carnival of the Dammed~

After the accident, Sanguine had completely vanished and she couldn't help but fear he might be getting himself into more trouble. 'Beasts have a way of doing that,' She smirked at her thought. The Carnivale had already endured enough violence for one day, and the Beast being left to his own devices would encourage perhaps even more excitement—and not in the way the Master would appreciate it.

"Master Cenota," Nexus said, turning from Ruviet and the Newcomer, Kate, "I fear Sanguine might not be back in his cage. I think I best check on him before leave for the City; who knows what kinds of trouble he could be brewing." He bowed deep and long before leaving Cenota's side in search of the wild creature. Her extra limbs squirmed and curled beneath the velvet skirt. She couldn't imagine him tolerating all the laughter and screams and talking that filled up their Carnivale, so she started exploring the outskirts. "Oh, Sanguine… where did you run off to?"

Carnival Of The Dammed

"Anything else you would like to know?" She crossed her arms loosely in front of her. They knew her now, so there where no worries. At least not so far.

The Sea: Flying Mirage

It seemed a century that Sydius' had gone and though peace and quiet was nice every now and then, she did appreciate having him around, for some very strange reason. He was extremely rough around the edges but, he had his moments, sometimes, and she was protected as long as she kept him happy and did his bidding. Though, today, for no particular reason, it felt different and she woke up with a sense of uneasiness and panic. Perhaps it was still a small case of PTSD and memories of her last beloved crew ship or maybe it was just her own paranoia but, she eventually got over it.

Myra began to rise from the chair she had been sitting at and pick up around Sydius' private quarters so that . She loved being able to clean around his room because of all the little nick-knacks he had collected over the years and she would often find herself just looking as she put his items away, careful not to leave many finger prints on anything precious.

The room was now sparkling so Myra had time to waste. She pillaged through her bag of goodies and found a fruit to munch on whilst primping and making herself presentable for Sydius and whomever he would have her greet that day because even though she was a slave, she took pride and careful dedication to making sure her looks and beauty were kept up in a dignified and lady-like manner. She would have no business acting like any regular wench picked up from a whore dwelling port at any chosen pub and Sydius' knew this.

As soon as she had finished with her primping, she dressed in her fine linen and silks, draping over every curve and soft feature and she stood near the doorway, waiting for Sydius' return.

"Nexus..." The man grumbled, not lifting his head from under the fold of his arms. He sat still as the stony crags marking up the landscape, a mass of curled up flesh and muscle. Nothing took the Beast by surprise. Not here. He knew Nexus by the drag of her boneless extra limbs. She hid them underneath her skirts, sure, but that masked only the sight of the things, not the sound. It was not that he was unhappy to see her. Sanguine was simply cranky. Which was normal. Except that the tinges of nostalgia and sorrow mixed into the feeling, creating a volatile brew of emotions that were hard to mask, especially when they caused his skin to fall off.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm going," He said without moving. His greatest treasure was buried about ten feet left from his position, but he was not worried. He doubted many could lift the boulder he'd sat on top of the mound. Finally, he lifted his head. He wasn't sure that Nexus had heard him, and he didn't want her to get lost. He spotted her among the rocks and picked himself up, dragging his bare feet as he made his way over. "Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I haven't killed any of our guests." He meant it as a joke, but the scowl accompanying the statement might have ruined the effect a little.

~Carnival of the Dammed~

Cenota watched Nexus leave out of the corner of his eye, wondering if she was also being driven to her wits end by the girl. Then again, perhaps she had already been driven far past that line. His snakes focused on the halfling again giving her the dirty looks Cenota felt she deserved. The fact that she was defying him so openly, despite him having asked her multiple times to leave, was enough to annoy him. The fact she refused to even answer him and kept going off about herself was driving him into a fury.

In a motion swifter than the average eye could catch Cenota closed the distance between them, taking the time to turn his head upwards as if he could see her. Despite the temptation he kept his snakes from sinking their teeth into her delicate flesh, he would hate to have to dispose with yet another body. He willed them to remain still, focusing intently on the girl as their hisses blended together.

"I don't know how much clearer I have to be with you. You have insulted me and attempted to mock my authority in front of my underlings. If you don't get out of this Carnival by midnight then the consequences will be severe. In simpler terms you will be murdered, you have already shown you are incompetent at understanding all but the most simple of statements or those that aren't flattering you."

Kate shrugged. "Okay, I would, but question, where should I go, and where is leaving?" She gave Cenota a small 'duh' look, then continued without an answer. "Oh, trust me, I'll be out of here. You won't have to worry about my 'Incompetent understanding.'" She shook her head before flashing a sarcastic smile and starting to turn around, looking for a path away, or at least an area without so many lights.

Once again utilizing his unnatural speed he slapped her. He had been hoping to hit her square in the face yet she had started to turn her head. Instead his slap was awkward, hitting only her nose and a part of her cheek yet he couldn't say he was all too disappointed. The satisfaction he felt at finally having lashed out at this obnoxious girl couldn't possibly be spoiled. He held his hand up, had the sound not have been so sharp one might have not realized what he had done.

It was rare that his carnival was quiet but now was one of those times. All other things faded away, the echo of his attack still lingered faintly. His snakes could hear it and he savored the sound. His lips turned up into a grin, a grin that showed all too well how much he enjoyed the pain he had inflicted. He stayed that way, crouched and grinning madly before he slowly straightened himself up. The remnants of his grin not having fully faded from his face.

"If you want to survive I recommend you not speak to your superiors in such a tone Kate. You're lucky I didn't snap that twig of a neck, the idea is rather tempting my dear. You should get your suicidal tendencies under check my darling, others aren't nearly as forgiving as I when it comes to such rudeness. Go to the Sea, you can find it by following that path through to it's end. Perhaps those slavers can put you to use, at the very least they can use you as a target dummy." Cenota said, pointing down an unlit and untended path, his business like tone returning as his sadistically gleeful one faded.

"Yes sir." She shook her head slightly, letting the pain ease off before starting down the path. Her form changing back and she picked up a rock, turning it to ashes before disappearing into the shadows.

Ruviet had watched the events unfold before her eyes with strained interest. It was painful watching the things that transpired do so from such a seemingly far away position. Her vision had started to fade as her mind tried to deny the spectacle of the master lashing out at the one he had grown to favor. She had grown so curious toward the girl she had managed to wish something that could never happen into existence and even worse, wished differently of the master. How could she? He was the one who had taken her in when she was tired of the world and it's natural bias, she had come to him for reassurance and protection. The Carnival. To wish him to become anything other than what he already was...

Ruviet closed her eyes tightly as she watched Kate walk away. It was over now and there was no following the Newcomer any longer. Her curiosity would have to die there. Just as the master has commanded her leave, he had commanded Ruviet's curiosity from her. She took in a deep, quivering breath and tried to calm herself. Her hands felt hot and she could feel the pulse under her skin. She had no true right to be angry. Who would she claim this anger to be for anyhow? Surely not the master! Ruviet squeezed her fists tight until the skin broke under her nails and warm liquid came from the wounds. I am not angry. I am not upset. Master Cenota is the head, I am the servant. The Newcomer girl is gone and there is nothing that can be done! ​She slowly opened her eyes to rest on the master once again and inclined her head respectfully.

"A robot, reading and writing like an accomplished scholar?"

A voice erupted from behind Alexis, with a tone dense in surprise and confusion. His voice echoed wildly in the silent library, for the people -- who silently worked so diligently -- made it seem like there was no one else with them. She slowly paced to turn, tilting her head to the side as she stared at the being ever so placidly -- studying him with her eyes. "John Adams. The newcomer. Accomplished 225 steps -- last location was at the pub right across this library... Your spawning point. Welcome to Nightmare." she adressed him with such familiarity, that the person bearing the title stared at her -- more than astonished.

John Adams stifled a short, speechless gasp as his eyes widened -- bewieldered by her extensive knowledge about him, and everything about him. "Silence, you mechanical creature! How do you know these things? What are you? Why do you know about me?!" He exclaimed, making everyone turn towards his way -- supervising him with their equally placid stare. He looked around, with panic throbbing and roaring inside his chest that made him fall flat on his back -- desperate to lean on something for support. It felt like a nightmare... This place... And the horror has not even started yet.

Alexis continued to glaze her gaze at him, examining his reactions ever so fascinatingly. John was quite a thin man -- the unusual kind of thin, like a teenage boy in a baggy corduroy sweater. Though his physique may be deceiving, his age was told in his face. The broad and sharp features etched on his ivory skin told anyone that he was already a man, and it was weird to see how such a face possessed such physique! Interesting indeed! But the most fascinating thing of all, were the colour of his eyes -- dark, opaque, mysterious. It told an unknown story that was yet to be told. "Is there something wrong, Mr. Adams?"

"You... How do you know all of this?!"

As his question was prompted, Alexis fell into a pause of silence. It was a question she didn't know how to respond to, for she didn't know the answer! It was simply a mystery how she knew all of these things, yet she knew them -- and they were true, proven from the situations such as the one present as of the moment. "I... Don't know."

"Blasphemy! You are a phantom! You... You..."

~The Sea~

Lisani ran as hard as she could ignoring the crowds around her, she couldn't even bump into them so what was the point in paying them any attention. She only slowed down when she was along the street that was full of people preparing to leave on the boats by the dock.

Cursing under her breath she realised she was even closer to the sea then the tavern had been. Why she felt such a connection to the water when all it did was cause her to thirst for blood was beyond her.

Looking around she noticed one man with a knife aimed at another and approached them, if she could feed again then the next time she touched water she wouldn't need to, not until tomorrow.

"You owe me." The younger man said, the one with the knife. He was wearing clothes that were about two sizes too big and they hung off him making is thin frame seem even thinner.

The other man was too scared to even speak, his lip was quivering and he looked like he was about to cry. He looked like he had the money though; a nice white shirt that looked like it cost a pretty penny and nice dark trousers.

It seemed that one man simply hadn't paid his debts to a desperate man, neither deserved death.

Darn it.
Lisani thought, she didn't need some poor idiot who was desperate she needed someone actually evil, or at least mean. She amended, she needed to find a target before a strong breeze carrying enough dampness to change her came.

Lisani heard a rumbling and looked around shocked, the sky was clear. What was that sound? She thought she could see something closer to the tavern and squinted her eyes, it would have been nice right about then if she could have gotten wet, her senses were a bit better then, but then she would be distracted by all the people around her and how good they would taste.

It looked like something she had never seen before, made of metal and flying. She blinked a few times and bit her lip, something from Steam City was coming here, quickly by the looks of it. She wondered why and wondered briefly if it had anything to do with her but brushed that thought aside quickly, she was grasping at straws now, ones that didn't even make any sense.

She needed to find out what these marks on her arms meant before she went insane from wondering about it.

Sighing tiredly she headed into the crowded streets towards the book store, maybe if she sat and read for a bit she would get some sort of clue. Anything would do at this point.

Steam City: Honest John's Tavern

Siderious heard the telltale hissing of an upcoming spawn and looked toward its source. With a slight *pop* the hissing ended and there stood a man, suddenly ten feet above one of the tables in the serving area. Thankfully this one was empty, as the man, shocked by his sudden appearance mid-air, obviously had no control of his fall. He hit the table hard and rolled to the ground, deciding to slowly stand up and brush himself off. As was typical of Honest John's, once the man was observed, he was largely ignored. Very few people who frequented the tavern has use for newcomers.

The man staggered toward the door and out of the building, launching straight into the heavy foot and cart traffic of the street, moving with relative determination towards the library across the street. Not wanting the man to get himself killed right away, Sid stood up from his now empty plate, and went to follow the man. Jumping from cart to cart to keep himself from getting hit, Sid kept a good ten feet behind the man, who ended up pushed to and fro by the traffic until he finally fell in through the front doors of the library.

Well, at least he's not going to get himself killed quite just yet.

It took Sid another few moments to make it across the street, keeping an eye out in case anyone else was following the man. By the time he entered, he saw the man shouting questions at one of the more notable automatons that frequented the library, and incredibly intelligent female-type known simply as Alexis. When the man seemed to be reaching his high point, screaming with religious fanaticism, Siderious walked up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him.

"Blasphemy! You are a phantom! You... You..."

"How about we calm down a little sir," Sid interjected, firm but quiet. "We are in a Library, there's no reason to shout." He pushed down on the man's shoulder, forcing him into a nearby seat, breathing heavy and near tears. Having little patience for hysterics he used the butt of one of his stilettos to knock the man unconscious, intending to take him somewhere later to get him on his feet, as it were.

Looking around, Sid noticed that most of the Library's patrons had barely even taken notice of the exchange. Figuring the man to be safe in his chair for the time being, Siderious stepped over to the desk at which the robot sat. He hadn't interacted with Alexis much, though he knew she tended to have information on newcomers. Moreover, she appeared anxious, and Sid wondered if this might be the break he needed for the day.

"Are you all right, Ma'am? It's Alexis, isn't it?"

After flitting around in the shadows for a small amount of time, she turned to see behind her, floating in the darkness just above the ground. She watched, seeing what might happen. She had picked up a few rocks, turning them in her hand and melting them to a putty, rolling them, forming them as she watched.

~The Sea~

He could not stand idly by as the robotic abomination hurdled towards the village on the Sea. There was much to be done, and with most of the Flying Mirage's crew ill or working on the ship, he'd lost valuable time and daylight, both great tools for scoping out prey. The bloodsucker he had seen earlier was at the top of list for capture: she had been a wild, fervent beast and would earn him a pretty penny. Only trouble was, he was for all purposes on his own. His boots echoed a hollow thud on the rotted docks as he ascending the ramp to the Flying Mirage. The Seas had been a cruel mistress, rendering most of the crew violently ill if not killing them. They had lost many good men that season. Sydius glanced around the other docked ships, most were small and had been wise to rope up far from the Flying Mirage. It was Captain Tanahii's call to hire new crew, but they were in desperate need and he pondered scouting not only for slaves, but those gifted with the cruelty and knowledge they'd need. Hiring was always hard, as most of the pirates of the Flying Mirage had earned their placed aboard the vast ship.

He descended the cabin stairs, boots clapping against the much more solid wood, "Attention men," He shouted, knocking that hook of his against every door, "I have us a prey." He would need man power, and last he saw, Larcei wasn't ill, bent over the wall of the ship losing her supper. Next he rounded the corner and entered his room, the breeze of sulfur and fresh followed him in, "Myra, love, good to see you're prepared." That twisted grin of his was on bright and eager as he began readying a bag with weapons of all sorts, from knives to poisons to narcotics, "I'm going to need all the help I can get."

~Carnival of the Dammed~

The Beast had been curled up tight, like a child hiding in the dark, however, with Sanguine, that was not the case. He was unusual, a creature of vibrant, unpredictable emotions, which most often led to erratic actions. He was one of the few Nexus understood, well, as best she could. There was much to learn about this wolf-like monster. It would have been nice to have him join them to Steam City, but his unpredictable tensions would surely lead to trouble. Not that the she-creature had a problem with that, but whatever Master Cenota had planned the venture for was definitely important. She'd heard plenty times of his hate for the smoggy, bleak city.

Suddenly, a creeping sensation crawled up the squid's spine, a feeling the two were no longer alone. She glanced over her shoulder, but there was nothing in sight. Perhaps they were alone? She was so accustomed to the constant crowds it was strange being in the quiet like this.

She laughed deep and hearty at Sanguine's statement. The chainmail top jingled against her smooth, jello skin, "Believe me, my friend, some guests deserve death."

Noticing one of them look her direction, she shook her shadow head. Standing back up, she dropped the melted rocks, continue down the path slowly, looking aroun for anything. "Goodbye, but I'm sure we'll meet again." She whispered into the air as the lights started to fade.

As Myra stood in the doorway, she stepped back whilst bowing her head slightly once Sydius walked in.

"What has come up, Sir? I've not seen you this thrilled in a while."

She had loved when he arrived in a happy mood because it meant that she would have a relatively easy day either by administering something, becoming a distraction, or just standing and looking pretty. However, he had mentioned that they would be needing all the help he could get so, perhaps she would be included in this new brilliant gust of excitement headed towards them.

"What will you have me do, Sir? Will we be needing anything special for this ehm..." She spoke very well but still had not gotten a firm grasp on the way these people talked sometimes. "...mission?" In truth, she was rather excited, keeping herself composed on the outside, she felt like a child on the inside today and stood by Sydius' side, holding open bags and assisting anyway she could while she awaited orders.

Alexis stayed on her spot, blinking twice before glancing at the person who stopped the man from his attempted assault. He was quite well-dressed for such a man living in such a gloomy environment like Nightmare. His suit looked almost as if he stole it somewhere beyond this land, somewhere prestige and elegant. In the background, John Smith was found scurrying away from the scene -- crawling limply towards the door while looking at everyone with disbelief and shock. Amusingly, the crowd did not seem shaken at his trauma, rather, they just plainly stared at him as he left. This was not an unusual situation in Nightmare. Newcomers always seem so shocked till they get used to it.

Then after they do -- they were changed.

She turned, shoulders relaxed, facing the him more directly as her mind started processing his entirety. "Siderious." she spoke softly as her eyes squinted in analysation, "Also known as Brent Smith. Resident. Escaped. Age... Or do you want that detail intact?" She took a step closer towards his way -- eating the space that made them too far from each other to converse properly. "Yes, that is correct. My name is Alexis. Was this something of a coincidental guess, or is my notoriety of knowing certain things has become popular enough to be recognised?"

It was something Alexis knew that was bound to happen soon enough. She looked like a robot, and she knew something that robots around these parts don't. In fact, she knew too much of things -- even things she didn't want to know. How? That was she did not know, however, it was a question that always haunted her.

Siderious smiled. So my source was right, she knows everyone... maybe...

"Information is necessary in my job. You're not that well known, just... enough."

Stepping closer, he sat down at the table next to her seat, and made a gesture as if to invite her to sit. When she just continued to stare, he merely leaned back.

"I'm looking for a job, as it were. I'm trying to find out if there's anyone that needs to be removed from nightmare... the permanent way. Preferably with a few financial assets I could inherit for the service offered. Any ideas?"