Dream Dive Nightmare

~Steam City~

What the heck was Nightmare? For a guide, she wasn't very friendly. Did people really pay money to play this game? Next thing Lain knew was the girl was giving him orders, but before he could respond, something far beyond his expectations happened—Amenia began to undress right before his very eyes! His milky face flushed as red as blood and he turned just as she was pulling her hair back and slapping goggles onto her head. What was she thinking?! Maybe she was just an NPC? Did Dream Dive have NPCs? He placed a shaky hand over his thudding heart and grabbed the handle on the door. 'I just better get this over with'.
Outside, the world around the small apartment, was stretched far beyond his wildest imaginations. The vast city was filled with intricacies Lain never thought he'd dreamed of. It was like straight out of that movie "Steam Boy", in a way, yet so much more developed. The tall buildings poured steam, not smoke or gas, into the air above the passerby's—people of all kinds, not just human. Even robots walked those cobble stone streets. It was incredible, stole his breath away, but in spite of all that, there was something cold and dark about this magnificent place.

His ears perked at the sound of something, and the feeling made him shudder. It was so odd, like an extra limb wiggling on his head. At his feet, gently rustling from the slight gusts of wind, was the paper that girl wanted. He picked it up and tilted his head, eyes squinting at the headline: Mobsters Escape with Robot. 'What?'

The strong scent of pancakes and a fish market—not fresh fish either—wafted past the heavy steam. He realized he harnessed extra sensory, but that what unnerved him was that was never something he thought about. None of this was for that matter. Did he have to earn his Dream? Get to a certain level? Staring out at the lively city, he forgot all about going back inside and giving Amenia her paper.

~The Sea~

It was just as the pirate was finding a seat at the bar when a woman ran in with a gust of wind. The elements were picking up out there. Things were always bound to become interesting when the world grew mad. Sydius could hear the wind scream past the windows, rattling them, making the participants in the pub howl with surprise or laughter. Talk of the pirates bringing in the bad wind caught his ear and he glanced over his shoulder with those narrowed eyes, the light blue of them barely visible.

Before the rumbling wind had come to pass, Sydius had heard rumor of other things: there was an alchemist in town with a Familiar and an escaped Freak and speak of a mysterious girl adorned with Runes. All of which were significantly entertaining, and could get the pirates of the Flying Mirage some serious gold. With Captain Tanahii busy, he had to call the shots and most of the crew was busy or ill with the flu—even his personal slave was too ill to leave the brig. Working alone could be dangerous, but it had its advantages.

With his right hand, his only hand, Sydius grabbed a sturdy hold of his beer and took a swig. He glanced towards the woman again; she was blond and wearing white, beautiful combo, but more than that, the look was without fail a best seller. He had a talent for watching people without them noticing, and that was exactly what he was going to do, a plan forming deep in his thoughts.

~Carnival of the Dammed~

Blinking past the turn of events, the she-creature bowed to Cenota, stating he had to hydrate herself and that she would shortly return. The drizzling rain had been of some help, but her sprint from earlier had dried her out some. Once she drank some water, she would be ready to accompany her Master. Ruviet traveling beside them would prove interesting; it was also quite an honor for the girl. Woman. Lady? The bottled water in Nexus' tent was Sea water, thick with salt. She hated fresh or distilled water as it had a way of actually making her ill. She poured the water into a flask and sipped it, cooing a sigh as she twisted the cap back on. The salt burned through her nasal cavities ever so sweetly.
Finding the group through the bustling crowd wasn't easy, mostly because she had to shuffle through without getting a tentacle crushed under a shoe. Her extra limbs coiled, happy now that water was in her system.

However, before joining Cenota, she decided to take a detour and round the tent the Newcomer had fled behind. In a sea of tentacles she approached the girl, "Now, now, now, that is no way to behave here." She reached forward and grabbed hold of the Kate's wrist. Her crimson eyes showed she took great pleasure from seeing the girl like this. She jerked her hard, tentacle helped by wrapped around the Newcomer's wrists and ankles as well, before lifting her into the musky air. She walked out from beyond the tent, exposing the Kate and her transformation to the Carnivale. The poor Newcomer was held in a sea of writhing, wet, sticky tentacles. The she-creature had a laugh that could the skin crawl on any man or beast. Despite the roughness, the assertive control, this was friendly for Nexus.

Kate froze. She knew struggling was useless, but she just relaxed, feeling her mind search for fire. Without any near, her hands started to heat. A sly grin crept over her face as she started to speak, her transformed form making her voice sound like a thousand voices where screaming. "Now you see me, but then what? You know me not, and I know you not." Then, moved her wrist so her fingers touched the tentacle on her wrist, leaving a singing sound. "And remember, water and fire don't mix. Now, if you let me go, I'll explain, and I won't run. Promise." She held her fingers up to show they weren't crossed, and they where now back to regular temperature.

Ruviet froze after seeing Kate dash, her eyes stinging from a sudden changing reality. Something had happened to her but she wasn't quite sure what. A smile crept over her otherwise emotionless face. "Please excuse me master," she said as she bowed then sprinted away in the opposite direction. The Newcomer was becoming a very interesting find indeed. She had strange powers, not completely unbelievable powers considering her residence, but it was intriguing none the less. She made her way through the carnival's guests and activities, searching for the girl.
I now wish for the master to allow her to stay with us if only for a short time. She is no longer a burden as I see it but Master has deemed her no good to the carnival. Nexus may be able to convince him otherwise, however.
She stopped by a vendor's tent to search her surroundings. The crowd was too dense to see through so she walked the premises. Surely she couldn't have gone far. Her tail twitched like a cat's in pursuit of prey. When she went around a small tent advertising souvenirs, she caught a glimpse of a tentacle wrapped hand. Nexus no doubt found her. She moved in to follow them and make sure no harm came to the Newcomer.

She sighed, realizing release wasn't probably and option. I wriggled a little, then squinted my eyes. My hands where warming up again, turning red. 'Maybe I could burn them....No, I can't do that!' I let out a small laugh at the thought. I looked around, my face going neutral.

Ruviet followed from a safe distance though there was no telling whether or not Nexus was aware of her presence. She calmed her breathing and watched Kate give up her struggle. It was kind of sad. Wait...sad? There is no sadness here, that is in the past. What I meant was pathetic. How pathetic the little Newcomer looked so captured by Nexus' tentacles. No, there is no sadness here any longer. She shook the thoughts from her head and continued her pursuit in silence.

After a little bit, I realized my hands were still hot. I tried to relax, but not being able to feel the ground made it almost impossible. I let out a small breath, little wisps of smoke and fire escaping. I spoke again "Please let me down, I personally kinda don't want to hurt you. You have no use for me!" I then let out a deeper breath, and a small flame shot up into the sky, burning out into nothing.

The tavern was loud and full of people, Lisani tried to find someone with a greedy smile or a blood stain somewhere. Anything that would suggest someone the world would be well to be rid of.

She blinked and realized she couldn't see anything but the blood around her, pumping deliciously through veins that crept through everyone. She spotted the biggest blood bag in the room and charged without thinking it through.

She landed on top of him and knocked him over onto the floor before sinking her fangs into his pudgy neck and sucking as hard as she could. She had been waiting for this for so long and it tasted so good going down her dry throat that she groaned before she could stop herself.

*Hiru had been sitting in the inn for a few hours now but because he drifted into his own world, it almost felt like 6 - 8 hours had actually gone pass. whenever he was in a conversation with Nosfentor, he almost felt like he was being forced out of the hellish world and appearing in a scenario of sitting with Nosfentor himself, talking about what they will do next and reliving past memories. When he had snapped back to reality, he felt in the mood to read a book or newspaper but there wasn't any decent books in the inn to the best of his knowledge. Hiru then looked outside the window that was right next to him to see whether ,there was anything interesting outside to check out.*

*As he looked outside he noticed that there was a sign directing towards a library, something that he had never expected to see in such a irritating town. He thought that the robots would tell us the knowledge we requested instead but it didn't matter. This made Hiru in a better mood as he always liked borrowing a few books to study in, or just to simply copy a few schematics for his robots advantage and tinker them slightly to be better. He picked up his suitcase and left to go towards the library direction.*

*As Hiru left the comforts of the inn, he noticed the steam coming from the buildings and nodded sideways in disgust as, the thought of what chemicals was coming out of it was always something that irritated him because, he never liked that idea of want potentially damaging chemicals could be in the steam and entering his system.He then started to walk down the pathway towards the sign that he saw to find the library. He would stop at the sign and check whether he needed to go to his house before going there and lucky for him, he had lots of time still and didn't necessarily needed to go home.*

*As he stopped to plan where to go, he turned his head every so often to notice that there was more than humans in the city. He knew that there was robots but never expected other creatures aswell. He also noticed that there was a new person on the same pathway that he would take to go to the library, curious as to whether he was new to steam city or not as, Hiru had not seen him around before. He then started making his way to the library, making sure that he didn't bump into anyone*

~Carnival of the Dammed~

Her laughter was echoed the roar of the ocean, cutting through the noisy circus air. The tentacles loosened and the girl was dropped; she wasn't far enough off the ground for the fall to hurt her. The slippery limbs retreated back under the velvet skirt. The Newcomer thought she could hurt Nexus? It was that comment that had her laughing all the more. The girl may have been something Nexus had never seen before, but the she-creature wasn't so easily harmed, or threatened.

"Worry not of harm, here, Newcomer." She patted down her dress, hiding the swarm of limbs, "Pain is not unwelcome here." If Cenota had no wish in keeping the girl, Nexus lacked reason to force her. Palms up, the squid-woman spread her arms wide, "Why not try to enjoy your being here, hmm? We are indeed a friendly bunch—our bites are ones of love." She dropped one arm, the other still in the air, pointing towards the tourist area, "As the Master said, backstage is only for family." There was gleam of aggression in her crimson eyes; she was holding back. Nexus was a creature of violent pleasure, but wanted to get the trip to Steam City over and done with. There would be plenty of clumsy robots and wheeled contraptions just eager to run over her precious tentacles.

~The Sea~
The sudden whirl of movement had involuntarily brought him to his feet and hand on his gun. His fingers traced the astounding intricate carved wood of the pistol, and that eased him as his eyes fought the bustling, panicked crowd. Finally, he caught sight of the cause for the madness: the woman who had just entered tackled one of the fatter patrons. Many theories are through his mind in that split second: Had she come here for that man? Had he wronged her? And then he heard the slurping sound; it was thick and eager. One of the barmaids screamed shrill as he she ran past him, fleeing from the bar.

Sydius was left the only one standing in the bar aside from the woman and her prey. She was a unique one, without a doubt, but how to capture something like her. He could surely get a pretty penny for something like her; especially with the kind of men who love taming the beast within. It was going to be hard to do alone, after all, he was merely human. He turned fully, leaning against the bar, one leg bent and resting the edge of his stool. He toyed with his pocket watch, watching the scene, sipping on his ale.

~Steam City~

The tiny pointed ears flicked, catching sound of footsteps. They rang hollow and sharp against the metal and cobblestone ground. His tail wagged in a whirl of fluff. The reaction was instinctual and expressed he was either eager or nervous. Why a Pomeranian?! It was so embarrassing! At least in human form he was still tall—but he felt a wolf would have been much more suiting.

His attention returned the approaching dude and he lifted up the paper, guessing the man to be an NPC or maybe higher level player. Was there leveling up here?
"Hey, do I have to catch this mobster who stole a robot?" Lain had no idea how loony he sounded, as he was unaware the person he was talking to was a real person. He neared the raven-haired man, "Or do I use my guide?" Dream Dive really wasn't anything like he'd thought. What was the point in selling it as a Dream if you had no control over anything? The ground shook beneath them as a robot passed by, cracking the cobblestone as it trekked along.
He screamed, almost as shrill as a woman, "That thing almost turned me into a pancake!"

John Adams enters Dream Dive...

Identification verified, John Adams. Father of two. In a coma.

Placement in Dream Dive: Used by his family to communicate with him. Connections established via transmitter.

John Adams, covering 25 pixels per second.

John Adams...

Her supposedly time to read and work in the library, was interrupted by a sudden log of John Adams. Weird, really. The thought popped into her head before she could do anything on her own -- and next she knew, she began writing about this man on her logbook. This wasn't the first time that this happened, actually it has happened too many times. People, and records of people would plague her head. Day by day -- second by second. She doesn't write them all down of course, rather the instances such as things like these. She didn't know how she knows all of this, yet it seems to be too true to be a fabrication of her mind.

Her name was Alexis.

She didn't know how she got here, or where she came from. She felt like she has been here all this time, for she knew everyone -- and everything about them. The little things they did, their past and conflicts. It startled even her, how such knowledge has passed down through her brain. It always came down like these instances -- flowing into her mind multiples amounts at a time. She though she would go insane by now, from all the information she had to process as she received them every second -- but she didn't. She was sane, she was living.

Her eyes lingered on the scribbled page for a moment, examining the entry carefully with her metallic fingers touching it's slightly rough surface delicately. Most of her entries were written this way, it was almost like a general template. It wasn't her preference though, but it always turned out this way. "Hmm..." she let out, as her interest peaked. Her voice sounded like an electronic surrogate of the true female voicebox, drained through a filter, and echoed multiple times -- making it give out multiple tones at once. Alexis looked and sounded like a robot, but she didn't feel like one -- she felt different, yet she also felt for the robots that lingered around the city. Her sole identity was confusing -- and even she was lost herself.

Lisani straightened after every sip of that delicious crimson was gone and wiped the back of her hand against her mouth. She still wasn't full but at least now she could restrain herself from attacking the nearest person.
The water on her face dried and she felt herself coming back to normal, she stumbled against the table the fat man was sitting at and then fell right through it as she became aware of where she was; a dusty room filled with screaming people.
Scrambling off the floor she found the door and started towards it as fast as she could.

Kate rolled back into the shadow as she was let go. "This place is more than pain." transforming back, she stepped lightly out of the dark, her snow white hair mostly pulled back with a small fringe hanging into her left eye. "I guess, now that you've seen both sides, I should explain?"

The air was stolen from her lungs when she saw Kate reappear from the shadows. The newcomer was intriguing beyond what Ruviet had even initially imagined. Her hair was white as snow almost to the point of falsifying silver. Ruviet looked on, mesmerized by the shimmering curtain of hair. She was astounded even more so by how Nexus seemed immune to the power radiating from the girl. It was true that they were on different levels for many reasons and she was once again reminded why in that moment. Amongst madness and chaos- instances that would drive the most sane being into insanity- Nexus remained unfazed. This was indeed a testament to the water creature's great perseverance.

Kate sat on the ground, crossed legged. "No questions?"

"There is no need for questions Kate. I already know exactly what I need to know." Cenota said, turning the corner from behind her. "Your abilities, while extraordinary, are dulled by your personality. This Carnival was created to be an escape for people, an escape from the people and things they want to leave behind them. I know for a fact quite a few are trying to escape bratty children, much like yourself." He said, nodding his head towards her as he walked past.
"Your abilities are pyrokinesis, although not every day common not uncommon either. We have quite a few more talented members here. Your alternative form isn't deformed enough to put on display, your shadow abilities would make that difficult anyway. Now tell me Kate, is there some sparkle of potential I have missed while I overlooked you? Any good reason why I shouldn't drag you by your hair and throw you outside my Carnival?" Cenota asked, taking his place beside Eclipse yet not turning to face the girl he was addressing.

"Well, I can control water now, and fire before. I can melt into shadows....almost. Still working on that." She paused before standing back up. "I think that's it." She swept her gaze across the group, noticing the differences between all of them.

A small-figured girl was squished uncomfortably in the nasty grimey hull filled with mud-riddled people of all sizes, each sobbing into their dirtied white robe, the ones that refrained from crying were already emotionally broken and settled into the horrible realization that they were slaves. And they would die as slaves.

All the sudden the little girl was dragging wooden crates, the ropes she was using tore at her small delicate hands, leaving them scarred, like the rest of her body she was bruised and cut all over, her black hair was sticky and tangled all held together messily by dirt and grime that developed on the months she was enslaved there.

Now it was dark, the ship ached and swayed, in the pitch black the girl could only feel the poor divers huddled against her in the steaming hull. She could feel the roughened skin that was exposed through now tattered clothes they wore. Then light broke through as the door at the very end of the hall opened. People reared back as the captain strode in. He announced to them that they would began fighting. Pit fighting. Moans and sobs echoed throughout the night, after the captain left them in utter-most darkness.

The girl, however sat there the whole night. Trying to recall different sword techniques she somehow remembered after her dive. When the morning sun had finally risen everyone was dragged to the deck. Willing or not. They called for volunteers and the only girl was the first. She stepped onto the red circle that was drawn at the center.

A younger man was thrown in after her, they were handed them swords. Her legs tensed, she felt the holster then she pounced, the wind ripped at her as she cut the distance between them, the boy hadn't even raised the blade as the bitter blood splattered across her but then everything stopped and the girl awoke again. This time she was older, her body had developed more and her body was cleaned, despite the fact that sweat drenched her body.

"Damned nightmares.." The girl muttered to herself. She slipped out of the old creaky bed, the room was darkness. And that shadowy ink wrapped around her body. She felt the wooden walls of her small room as she did her best to recollect her mind. Ever since the dive she had problems remembering things so she had often to remind herself.

"You..I am..Larcei. I am Larcei, a pirate aboard the..the, Flying Mirage." Larcei spoke, breaking the quietness in the dim room.

The still form seemed completely lifeless in his dormant state. Slowly, his eyes opened, taking in the look of his dingy apartment. Abigail, his favorite rapier, stood in the special rack he had made for her next to his sleeping cot. The two side walls of the room were adorned with small racks holding over a dozen rapiers, and many more stiletto daggers that he'd gathered over the last five years, most from his targets. Against the back wall stood his cot, and a small wardrobe, holding three "daytime" suites, and his fighting attire, a black and red suit fitted with belts and sheaths for two rapiers and three stilettos.

Rousing himself, Siderious turned and strapped on Abigail without even bothering to put a shirt on. First, he had to plan out his day, sort of.

"Abigail, wake up." The rapier's guard shimmered slightly in it's sheath, as if to reply. "It's been, what, three days since I've fed. I'll have to take care of that today." He took a coin-pouch out of the wardrobe and tested the weight. "Today's pay-off day down at Honest John's, so most of this will be gone as well. Looks like I need to find someone who's willing to pay for assistance again. Fun. Well Abigail, let's be off, I'm sure Honest John will have the info we need."

With that he deftly removed Abigail's belt from his waist, and went to the wardrobe. Grabbing his fighting attire, he quickly dressed, strapped Abigail in her accustomed position on his back, strapped another rapier and three stilettos to his waist, and grabbed a wide brimmed hat from the door. He knew the hat was cliche, but with the wind having been rough the last few days, it was better so protect himself from the meager sunlight that fought it's way through the ever present fog of Steam City.

Rather than take the stairs, Sid merely climbed out of his window and walked down the side of the tall apartment complex, walking vertically as easily as most men walk horizontally. This whole vampire thing does come in handy from time to time. At the bottom of the complex and across the street was a large and well frequented tavern named "Honest John's" for the owner, John Ashmore. Whether or not he was truly honest remained to be seen, but for Sid, he represented an excellent source of information, as well as the basic necessities for his life here in Nightmare. Leaping from the third story of the building, he landed lightly in front of the tavern door, and walked in.

The atmosphere was not one that normally would attract those dressed as Sid did, but with the services provided here, many young gentleman would show up from time to time, making Sid no more conspicuous than any regular patron. Stepping up to the bar, Sid placed the majority of his coin-pouch's contents on the bar, and whistled shrilly. The Barmaid, a nice looking girl if not for the scar that marred her right eye and ear, glared over at him.

"What do you want, dainty?"

"Just tell John I'm here to pay my tab, and want a word with him." Sid replied.

She left without a word, and soon John stood before him. Grabbing the coins off the counter, he said "Nice doing business with yah, now what do you want?"

"Abigail's a little thirsty, and so is my bank account, if you catch my meaning. Any rumors that might handle both problems effectively?"

John stroked his chin, thoughtfully. "I heard about some pirates by the sea, but that's not likely to help your money issues unless you want to steal it off their corpses... Nope, that's all I've got. Maybe check by the carnival, or better yet, just hunt at night like most of your kind do." Looking at the coins in his hand, he said, "Ah, well, you want breakfast? I think you overpaid a little this week, so it's on the house."

"Might as well," Sid replied, settling into his seat. "The usual, I suppose." As he ate, he pondered how to find a scumbag worth killing, or someone who might pay him to do it.

*Hiru stopped as he heard the boy speak to him, thinking of what the hell he could be talking about with 'guide' and mobster. After looking at him to see what he was talking about, Hiru instantly understood the mobster part but, was still confused by what he meant by guide* What would you mean by Guide dear sir? *Hiru stated before noticing that some robots was coming his way. He walked to the side and looked back to the person again, chuckling to the response that the figure expressed* Lucky you didn't then. I would assume that if it says it on that paper you are holding, I can only guess that is what you would have to do so.*He said as he looked around the area, retracing where he was going and where the quickest route would be to the library*

Artimus dashed through the streets of Steam city his pursuers hot on his trail, easily noticeable by the angered shouts and heavy footfalls echoing behind him. As he dashed through the streets he pushed his way past people yelling "Pardon me, excuse me, Oops! Sorry! Watch out!" His oddly joyful shouts barely bought him enough time to slip past those in his way as he made his way towards the tallest building in the city. His escape rout. He didn't have enough energy at the time to teleport and with his pursuers hot on his trail he couldn't afford to wait. Instead he would simply commandeer a vehicle.

A contact of his in the building had informed him of a prototype plane, which ran on steam and combustion, that multiple of the brightest minds in the city had been working on for the past two month's. It was nearly finished and still a prototype but it might get him to the sea, and quite hopefully the Flying Mirage. As his pursuers began to get closer Artimus lept off of his feet, a wide grin on his face as he spun around launching a volley of fire bolts from his fingertips in the direction of his pursuers. As his feet hit the ground again he continued running as he heard the agonized screams of one of his targets being lit ablaze by one of his shots.

The chase seemed to last forever and Artimus was more then a little relieved to see the buildings front doors as he got near. Getting to the front doors he pulled his scythe from his back and with one swipe, the blade extended out and slashed open the doors sending wood, metal, and bits of glass bouncing across the ground. Running inside he bolted for the stairs and making his way there he stopped in the center of the stairwell kneeling down low and Putting as much strength as he could muster he pushed off the ground and hurled himself up the center of the stairwell about 16 meters up.

He continued this process until he finally made it to the top he stopped and flopped down onto the ground panting heavily. He had time to rest. He had gotten a hefty lead over his pursuers. He didn't stay down for long though and within a minute he was on is feet and Cutting the lock pads off of the plane. It was obviously a prototype wires and pipes were exposed and there was no plating to it whatsoever, no computer systems yet either, all hand coordinated. This would be interesting. Climbing inside the cockpit Artimus cracked his neck and smirked as a green fire washed over him, and as it faded his entire bod was then covered in an almost demonic armor covered in inscribed etchings.

Artimus quickly booted up the systems and within a minute the engine was hot and the steam was going. Just as his persuers burst through the door he slammed his foot down on the ignition and scalding hot steam and fire shot from the exhaust burning them to a crisp as the plane lurched off of the roof into a dead drop. Artimus gritted his teeth under his face mask and quickly pulled up on the joystick and screamed out "You mother fucker you better not crash!" as the plane got closer and closer to the ground it began to arc and just as he was about to breach the skyline the plane lurched into an arch and barely missed the roof of a building as he took off towards the sea screaming "WOOO HOOO! Yeah Baby!" Now he just had to hope this clunky piece of shit could get him home. In the meantime he could meditate on the answers he'd gotten. There was so much to think about he needed the time.