Dragonspawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her face palm startled him, as did her question. He shifted uncomfortably, this was unfamiliar territory, both literally and figuratively. He was unsure why she was nervous, he had absolutely no idea. It was times like this that he wished he could read minds. However she did have a point, it was getting dark. The forrest at night is a dangerous place for anyone.

"Well, i suppose so, if your really offering, and this isn't a trick." It was the only reason he could find for why she would offer. He sighed, life would be so much easier if he was a fish.

A trick?
She was baffled as to why he'd think that, then again she did threaten and stalk him so it was at least a little bit understandable. 'Follow me?' She said it more as a question then an offer, not sure whether he wanted to or not.

The moon had risen, lighting up most of the forest as they walked together. Echoes of wolves howling in the distance gave the darkness an eery feeling.

'Why do you live?' She asked him. Even she thought it was a strange question to ask but she wanted to know, if not to see humanity fall then what?

The question startled him. Such an odd and personal question on his already frayed nerves was definitely not good for his health. He contemplated the answer while waiting for his heart to slow down. Why did he live?

"I guess, just because. I live to live. For the adventure, the hard times and the good times. What other reason do i need?" He looked at her with honest sincerity on his face.

After seeing his startled face she decided to keep quiet. She hadn't been around people in a long time, making her a bit awkward. She wasn't expecting him to reply but hung of his every word as she contemplated it.
His is completely different to me. Have i been wasting my life hating humans...?
Shaking her head gently she dismissed the thought as they approached her den. It went deep into a hill, twisting and turning until the narrow dirt walls opened up into a cave. It was quite a large space for one person to live in, although there were nicknacks strewn throughout that she had 'borrowed' over time.

Kanja stared in awe at her home. He looked around the large cave taking in all the tuff laying around. Treasures, he thought, she has treasures. He tried to hold it in but in the end he threw his head back and laughed, it surprised him since he hadn't laughed in a while.

"You're like a real dragon, cave, treasure, everything!" He tried hard not to collapse in a puddle of helpless giggles. After he calmed down he realized that he might have come across as rude. Mentally slapping himself he turned to look at her, hoping not to see anger there.

His laughter hurt her a little. She was designed to have more dragon in her then human therefore she couldn't help her dragon instincts. She frowned at him as he regained himself. 'It is just instinct.'

He was obviously designed with more human in him.
Maybe that's why he shows compassion towards them?

She noticed his embarrassed expression and immediately felt bad for frowning at him. 'I'm sorry.' Smiling she walked to a corner of her den and began rummaging through a pile of silver and gold items. Pendants, goblets, chains, armour, it was all there.

'What is your element?' She asked him, not looking up as she threw things around.

He was confused, why had she apologized. Maybe this was some weird ritual that people had? Instinct? maybe that was some characteristic she had, she did have a lot of physical ones, mental ones weren't far fetched. He vaguely wondered if his wanderlust was dragon. Dismissing it, he looked at her wondering what she was searching for. Jolting out of his thinking he remembered her question.

"Water." he answered.

She finally found what she was looking for as she threw a few more of her possessions behind her, some alomost hitting Kanja. Holding it up fondly she walked over to him. 'This is for you.' She told him, smiling as she did so. Quickly realising her silence she continued, blushing a little bit. 'This here is a magic talisman. It is supposed to enhance your elemental powers.' She held it up in front of his face so he could see it better in the dimmness of her den. It was crafter out of silver, waves etched into the metal and blue gems scattered throughout it. 'I have one two.' She proclaimed, holding hers up. It was similar in appearence though her one had swirls etched into it with black gems. Both hung off a twisted leather strand that was quite long, long enough to be hidden out of view.

It was beautiful, reminding Kanja of the ocean he longed to see again. He shook his head, now was not the time for reminiscing. Now was the perfect time to express his confusion.

"Why are you giving this to me, it seem valuable." he looked at her, still not quite sure what she was up to.

'I cannot use it, it is your element. Trust me i've tried...' She briefly held her hand over her chest as she remembered the stabbing pains. She stared up at him as her hand dropped again, her other hand still holding up the talisman for him. 'Do you want it or not?' She asked impatiently as her arm began to grow tired.

He took it silently. His mind was a bundle of confusion, he did not understand this girl. Why was she so strange, hostile one moment and then nice the next. He wondered if she new how to make up her mind. Also why would she try to use it? it was obviously not her element, no water element was ever so odd. He stared at her, briefly wondering if it was him who was unusual, he shook his head at the thought, no he was fin every one else was not.

"Thank you." still it was no reason for him to be rude.

She tilted her head to the side as the boy took it and shook his head yet again.
Maybe he has lice and doesn't want to scratch his head?
She giggled at the thought of that and quickly dismissed it as he thanked her. She bowed slightly and smiled. 'You are welcome. How about we get something to eat?' She offered, walking over to a cauldron that had been boiling away under a small fire. She dipped a golden goblet she had sitting on the ground into the stew. 'Here.' She lifted it up to him as she sat down on the ground, holding her empty silver goblet, waiting for him to take his share.

Goblets? he took it uncertainly, it was an odd thing to use for stew. Maybe she had no bowls? But they were terribly easy to make. He sipped the stew, it was simple but edible. Although he still wondered about her choice of utensils, such as no spoons. He stared at her, unsure if he should say anything. He had been alone for a while and was unaccustomed to proper supper manners.

She dipped her goblet in the stew and drank greedily from it as she chewed on the various chunks of meats and vetetables she had aquired from the human village. 'What do you plan on doing now?' She questioned the boy who was looking a bit uneasy. She was hoping he didn't say he'd leave once the sun has risen but she wasn't sure she could stop him if he chose to do so. As she finished her serving, much faster then him, she wiped her mouth on her arm and yawned. She went over to a wooden cuboard and pulled out some blankets and pillows for him, placing yhem next to him. 'I assume because you are more human you'd probably enjoy the comfort of these.'

He considered her question and wondered if he should be insulted by her statement. She was right, sort of, he did enjoy blankets, well, really only if they where silk. the silk felt so good on his skin almost as good as running water. He shook his head to clear it of his daydreaming, he really had a bad habit of getting lost in his thought. But why would she think he was more human than dragon? Not that he really cared much. Okay it bothered him, he spent a lot of time cultivating his ability to blend in but now it appeared that it caused him to stand out among his own kind.

"I don't know. But what do you mean more human than dragon." He gazed at her questioningly.

She turned her head to stare at him as if she did not understand the question. 'I didn't mean to offend you.' She began as she turned around completely. 'I just don't see at much... Dragon on you.' She didn't know how else to put it. Her dragon was obvious due to her marvellous tail but him, she couldn't see dragon. 'You should get some sleep now.' She wanted to avoid any more questions and turned around quickly, digging in a small pile of gold before lying on top of it, curling her tail in front of her to cover her face.
---
This was a strange dream, maybe the strangest she had ever experienced. She was engulfed in her own darkness, although it wasn't welcoming. It cut at her skin, making her blank blood ooze from her veins.
You are the one.
The voice was deep and it sent chills up her spine, causing her darkness to cut into her again. Wincing at the growing pain she finally spoke. 'What do you mean?' Her voice was weak and laced with fear.
You are the one.
The voice repeated itself though she didn't understand what it meant.
---
A loud BOOM jerked her mind back to reality as she sat up, sweat beads rolled down her cheeks and her breath rapid. 'I sense something... Familiar.' She whispered not sure whether her companion was awake or not, her eyes fixated on the tunnel leading to the surface. Her legs had never moved so fast as she sprinted aboveground. Screams and fire filled her ears as she reached the entrance and gazed at roaring flames dancing over the trees. 'The city... It burns?' She mumbled to herself.

Kanja stared at her sleeping form a little worried. He had offended her, or... something. He wasn't all to sure, she was an odd one. He tried to sleep in the coverings she had given him but it was no use. It was to dry for him to sleep. It was a cave yes, but it didn't have enough water for him to sleep. Being a water elemental made him need it more than most beings. A lot more. It also affected other areas, like why she though he was more human that dragon. Water dragons had no wings, so he couldn't have something that stood out like her tail. In fact the most important feature to a water dragon were the scales, witch he did have. They where even water proof and kept him warm in cold temperatures. He didn't have the treasure hoarding like most dragons but he did have the solitary nature of water dragons, though he was a little warmer than most. Even though it didn't seem like it was an elemental thing, it was. Water was cold naturally, and didn't care about anything standing in its way, it just eroded and corroded until it's path was made. Such was the nature of all water dragons, they where often cold, solitary, and did what it wanted regardless of anyone else.

He heard an explosion as he was contemplating personalities. He ran out of the cave and stood as he watched the city burn. He barely registered as he heard his strange companion come out and start mumbling. He broke out in a sweat, it was such a large fire, and you could feel the heat from where they were. It scared him.

She pulled her eyes away from the fire to see Kanja next to her, startling her for a moment. She hadn't noticed him until now. 'What do you think happe...' Her words were cut off as a large, black shadow flew low over the trees, its call, deep and dangerous as were the flames that spewed from its mouth.
It's a dragon...?
'It's a dragon!' She repeated so her companion knew what she was thinking. She hid behind him as a small hiss escaped her lips.
Did i see it right?
She began to doubt herslef.
Am i still dreaming?
She bit her arm, her canines piercing her flesh as her blood oozed out.
Not dreaming... Real dragon!
Her body wouldn't respond to her urge to run back into her den and hide, all she could do was stand, horrified by the beast that destroyed the human city before retreating back to wherever it had emerged from.

He was terrified, barely hearing her say it was a dragon. He swayed a little bit at her sudden change in position, but otherwise he stood rooted to the spot. The dragon held fear for him but it was the flames that it was spreading that controlled him. He was hypnotized by the dancing red, orange, and yellow colors, they called to him seductive and dangerous.

Water dragons and dragonspawn avoided fire as a general rule but not because it could easily kill then and turn all their power to steam. But because, if harnessed right or wrong, it could give them an enormous power boost. Where do you think hot water geysers came from? It could more likely kill them but if it didn't the effects of it on the mind where astonishing and terrifying.

But back to the giant fire breathing lizard. "What is a dragon doing here?" He asked freezing his Inner Ocean, something he usually kept just below lukewarm, witch was higher than another he had met of his kind.

She was amazed at how the flames danced in front of her eyes, spreading gracefully through the woods, consuming anything in its path.
Consuming... Darkness...
She shook her head as the memory of her dream creeped into her mind. 'Dragons are powerful creatures that we were born from. We cannot easily kill it. The humans...' She peeked around Kanja's shoulder to stare at him. 'Do you want to save them?' She asked him curiously. The sound and smell of death filled her senses and she hid back behind him as the dragons fire grew larger, moving closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.