Dragon Riders Anyone?

Are you wanting to start it off with them in hiding? I have a few pointers for that since that is also how I started off The Dragon Wardens. It's a tricky thing, but it can be done!
I thought about this and I'm stuck between bringing them out of hiding or having a whole new era of riders. Starting off as people that discover their magical ability forced into hiding and then joining a group that takes them to the last remaining dragon riders where they form a pact with dragons themselves.

I thought about this and I'm stuck between bringing them out of hiding or having a whole new era of riders. Starting off as people that discover their magical ability forced into hiding and then joining a group that takes them to the last remaining dragon riders where they form a pact with dragons themselves.
I think both could work well in making a player feel like their character is important. With the idea that the roleplay starts off with people discovering their magic and being forced into hiding, and then joining a group of already established dragon riders can allow for you as the GM to sort of herd your players into a new world, having your players grow to understand the lore and the magic mechanics as things ICly move along.

Bringing pre-established dragon riders out of hiding can also be just as rewarding for your players as they'll have the tension of their PCs needing to be covert, how they feel about their circumstance, and your players get to explore characters more adept with magic.

Just don't do what I did and start them all off in different locations around the map! It takes too long for them to get together when you do that, and it's a lot of timing work as a GM. Instead, have them all know of a location they could head to, like a sort of sanctuary for dragon riders in hiding or those on the run. It makes your intros a lot easier to work with!

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
I like the growth of magic and so I'm leaning more towards spellcasters turned dragon riders. I'm really wanting to try and find a way for the dragons minds to align with their rider though. I considered hatching the dragons but I feel like people would become disinterested quickly in baby dragons. I don't want it to just be like "oh hey I'm your rider now don't like it too bad" or "oh this dragon is pretty I want this one" and then form a pact just because. I want an authentic connection but I'm not sure how to develop that.

I like the growth of magic and so I'm leaning more towards spellcasters turned dragon riders. I'm really wanting to try and find a way for the dragons minds to align with their rider though. I considered hatching the dragons but I feel like people would become disinterested quickly in baby dragons. I don't want it to just be like "oh hey I'm your rider now don't like it too bad" or "oh this dragon is pretty I want this one" and then form a pact just because. I want an authentic connection but I'm not sure how to develop that.
It could be that the dragon is drawn to the rider like a natural instinct as soon as they become riders. So maybe it's the dragon finds the rider? Or maybe the rider has to prove themselves to the dragon through a sacred ritual of sorts. I found it worked best to have the dragon and the rider just sort of be like soul mates, not romantically, but they just click, so there's no tension or butting heads. Makes it easier on the player to write, too, as it works similarly to that friend you just click with and can talk for hours to. Make the connection between the dragon and the rider something your players can relate to in concept so that it's natural in writing and easy to understand.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
@Effervescent I've decided to begin world building! If I have any questions can I message you? :rotfl: