Should we split into two groups? Or should we reduce the character limit to one?

• 17 characters, 2 groups.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 11 characters, 1 group.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
*is 9000% interested in joining this*

I just have an odd quandary. I have a character made up in my mind, or, at least a pair of siblings. I don't know which one I want to play, though.

The male/female ratio looks pretty good so far. So, this should be based on personality. Maybe.

The male character is older, snarky, and sometimes patronly (mostly always drunk.)
The female character is younger, cunning, rude, but pretty clever in a pinch (and less drunk.)

The drinking thing comes more from the event that happens, more than the character.

Hm.
And I don't do multiples. It is not because I'm not inspired because I am... obviously. I love DA and I love good ole original stories based in the world. The lack of multiple characters is just due to not having enough time to fully spend on them. Wah-waah.

So, any thoughts on which way I should go?
If not, I'll eenie-meanie-miny-moe it until I pick one.

Reactions: Periwinkle
*is 9000% interested in joining this*

I just have an odd quandary. I have a character made up in my mind, or, at least a pair of siblings. I don't know which one I want to play, though.

The male/female ratio looks pretty good so far. So, this should be based on personality. Maybe.

The male character is older, snarky, and sometimes patronly (mostly always drunk.)
The female character is younger, cunning, rude, but pretty clever in a pinch (and less drunk.)

The drinking thing comes more from the event that happens, more than the character.

Hm.
And I don't do multiples. It is not because I'm not inspired because I am... obviously. I love DA and I love good ole original stories based in the world. The lack of multiple characters is just due to not having enough time to fully spend on them. Wah-waah.

So, any thoughts on which way I should go?
If not, I'll eenie-meanie-miny-moe it until I pick one.
Interesting, I'd say the male character. I dunno, feels like he can offer more.

Others are welcome to share their opinion however!

• Thank You
Reactions: Tyrannosaurus Rekt
Hmm yeah, they are definitely way to young! Change the 1 in their ages to 2 and they'll make more sense, but that's kinda just the start. Despite it's fantasy elements, Dragon Age also has a fair share of medieval realism and a 13 year old in armor would never survive against just a single darkspawn or even say, a 21 year old in armor. Also as the expedition's mission is fairly important, the people who join need to be fairly competent and experienced from a combat perspective, which due to Allan's relative inexperience and Elwyn's weak magical power - make them illegible outright.

Note that Tevinter has an extremely different outlook on magic than the rest of the continent. They prize magic and do not mind the use of blood magic so long as it's done discreetly. Their Circle is more of a privilege to attend whereas everywhere else it's more akin to a prison. The Vints aren't known for making Tranquil.

It's a lot of information to take into account when making a character, I know. But unfortunately they really aren't on par. :c

Weird's Ur'gari is an exception to some the above rules however because both he and his age are tied to the plot.
Oh, that explains the 10 year old I saw. Hm, I'll try to come up with something else.

Ghremen 'Ghrem' Kardo
Male | Thirty-Something |Dwarf

Origin: Orzammar | Casteless | Carta

Appearance: (Click here for a larger picture of Ghrem) Ghrem has the fortunate luck of not being as square and squat as his other dwarven brethren. Though, let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still short, and he's still muscular. You could point him out as a dwarf miles away. His features are sharper, though, probably a product of casteless breeding. A bright red casteless mark is printed over his brow, shadowing his bright blue eyes. He lacks the traditional dwarven beard, if only because it interferes with his bow skills. He does wear a well-kept one, and it is as black as his short, unruly hair. Ghrem is as tanned as someone who spent the first half of their life underground can be, and he has an assortment of scars that take turns zig-zagging across his body. Usually, though, he's wearing a mixture of dark leathers and darkened steel, and so one doesn't get to see the masterpiece of his suffering. His expressions are always a wildcard. He's not one to look somber or stoic. Usually, he whistles. Sometimes he smiles. Though, most of the time he looks lost in his own thought. Of course, if you think you can get the jump on him, he always reacts quicker than expected. It's fair to say he's always paying attention.

Biography: Growing up casteless in Orzammar was like having the entire dwarven population ram their foot up your ass in one fell swoop. He meant nothing. He was nothing. It had been instilled in his head since birth that he was an un-person. It was no surprise that he sunk into joining the Carta when he was able to do something beyond drool and defecate in his underwear. At a young age, he had a bow thrust into his hands and was taught all about thievery, smuggling, and the grace of the spoken word. When he was older, he invited his sister, Khiren, to join as well. It was a rough life, but it was a life. They could eat, drink, and not live in squalor.

Ghrem served as a negotiator for the Carta, and when negotiations fell through he disappeared only to reappear after putting an arrow between their eyes. Most of his deals happened in Orzammar's slums. It wasn't until he was an adult, that he was invited to take part in the Carta's larger and more extensive networks on the surface. He brought his sister with him, and they abandoned their lives in Dust Town.

To no one's surprise, Ghrem rose quickly in the rank of the Carta. He always managed to get things done, and if it wasn't perfect, he'd make sure all the loose ends were tied--with arrows. By the time most men were just finding their foothold in Thedas, he was leading a branch of the Carta. Of course, like all good things, it had to come to an end. Khiren was one of the leaders of the several groups he had control over. He heard of an easy lyrium score not too far from the beaten path. Ghrem, being the ever cautious, double checked the resource he received it from. Nothing came up curious. So, he sent Khiren and her men to take care of it.

It was a trap. Khiren tried to fight, hoping to flee and alert her brother that they'd been infiltrated. She never made it back. When the soldiers arrived at the small fort that the Carta ran the business out of, they were quickly overcome. Ghrem was lucky that he was far from the outer walls, and that his preparedness had led him to have a secret way out. He told no one as he abandoned the fort.

He'd managed to escape unscathed, and the local garrison didn't have a decent enough description of him to follow. So, using his newly acquired anonymity, he slipped town. Unable to find his sister, and realizing he was to blame for her disappearance and possible death, Ghrem knew he had to atone. He didn't believe in the Divine Gods, and he was quite skeptical of the ancestors. Still, he believed that the evil he'd committed wasn't through punishing him for it.

It was by fate or chance, he heard of an expedition to find the Grey Wardens. Maybe it was time that he lived up to his dwarven heritage of dealing with the darkspawn.

Class and Specialization: Rogue Archer -> Shadow

Defining Strength:
A Carta Fixer: Ghrem has an unparalleled talent for sealing the deal, with words or with an arrow. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that can procure what you want with as little problem as he does.

Other Strengths:
Archery: While dwarves are known for their martial and melee skills, that doesn't mean that they can't do well with a bow. Ghrem is quite good at piercing armor or slicing off entire fingers and parts of hands. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in the strength behind the arrow.

Quick Witted: Most people thinking poorly of him due to his heritage, but they find him well spoken and a fast thinker. Snow will fall in Orzammar before someone gets something by Ghrem.

Greatest Weakness:
Smuggler at Heart: Sure, Ghrem is trying to get on the path to self-discovery. Unfortunately, no matter his good intentions, he puts himself first and foremost. It's a habit that he's tried to break, but he's been incapable of.

Other Weaknesses:
Excessive Drinker: Ghrem's charisma might come from the fact that he's always at least a little drunk. While he's always been a bit abuser of alcohol, things only became worse once he lost his sister. Unfortunately, if danger catches him during a bender, his arrows might not be true.

Casteless: Despite his bravado and intelligence, Ghrem grew up not learning how to read or write. Sure, he's picked up a handful of things here and there, but he's never received a formal education. He'll feign that he is too bored to read something or too busy to write something down when he actually can't do it.

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt , does Ghrem use a longbow or a crossbow? I'd think that with the casteless background, a crossbow might be more appropriate, given that they require much less training to wield effectively.

, does Ghrem use a longbow or a crossbow? I'd think that with the casteless background, a crossbow might be more appropriate, given that they require much less training to wield effectively.
Good question. In my mind, Ghrem uses a shortbow (compound, in the present, since it suits his fighting style the best) since he's not the sniping type. He'll hide in some bushes, sure. Maybe a tree. Maybe. And my reasoning behind that is that shortbows are easier to make/repair in case something goes wrong with them. Crossbows have a lot of tiny parts, and he was painfully poor when he first started learning how to shoot. And who wants to give something with intricate parts to a kid? Then again, who wants to give a weapon to a kid?

That's my reasoning, anyway.
I'm game to hear your thoughts about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am as interested as the series is amazing!

I was also wondering, however, if I needed permission to make a Grey Warden character? I would have him be a mentor like Duncan, while preferably not dying off immediately. Unlike Duncan, he needn't necessarily be a Warden-Commander. If he is to be of any rank, it would be Senior Warden or Warden-Constable in order to be able to perform the Joining.

Last edited:
Good question. In my mind, Ghrem uses a shortbow (compound, in the present, since it suits his fighting style the best) since he's not the sniping type. He'll hide in some bushes, sure. Maybe a tree. Maybe. And my reasoning behind that is that shortbows are easier to make/repair in case something goes wrong with them. Crossbows have a lot of tiny parts, and he was painfully poor when he first started learning how to shoot. And who wants to give something with intricate parts to a kid? Then again, who wants to give a weapon to a kid?

That's my reasoning, anyway.
I'm game to hear your thoughts about it.
That's actually a good compromise, I think. If he's not the type to have the mechanical know-how to fix and maintain a crossbow, then a shortbow would be a good stopgap measure between the mechanical complexity of a crossbow and the technical skill of a longbow. Plus, if he's not a sniper, he could get the same results as a longbow at a closer range.
I am as interested as the series is amazing!

I was also wondering, however, if I needed permission to make a Grey Warden character? I would have him be a mentor like Duncan, while preferably not dying off immediately. Unlike Duncan, he needn't necessarily be a Warden-Commander.
Maybe make a Blackwall type character, someone who's for all intents and purposes a grey warden, but hasn't done the joining yet.

That's actually a good compromise, I think. If he's not the type to have the mechanical know-how to fix and maintain a crossbow, then a shortbow would be a good stopgap measure between the mechanical complexity of a crossbow and the technical skill of a longbow. Plus, if he's not a sniper, he could get the same results as a longbow at a closer range.

Maybe make a Blackwall type character, someone who's for all intents and purposes a grey warden, but hasn't done the joining yet.
While I do agree with the idea, I would intend the purpose for him to be one who can prepare the others truly for the Blight, although he himself may not be wholly prepared. Not necessarily one close to the Calling, but one who is new in leadership and must do what he can for Thedas. He could not have much formal training, however, and could have informal training like the Hero of Ferelden- thus making things even more interesting.

Last edited:
Still accepting applications for this RP? Me and a buddy are pretty interested and are wondering if there is still space.

Name: Arrahel the White, Warden-Commander of Ferelden
Sex: Male
Race: Elf
Origin: The Circle of Magi (Ferelden), later the Grey Wardens

Appearance:

main-qimg-0017b7b039706a26ad04799aeba8155c.jpg
As a mage, Arrahel has a satchel wherein he carries ingredients for herbalism as well as vials of lyrium for rituals and magic. He also has his trusted staff, which was designed for his personal use. His combat magic mainly focuses on lightning-based attacks, as well as some healing spells.
UC3014.png
As a Warden, Arrahel carries his trusty targe carrying the Wardens' sigil in addition to his trusty longsword. He also wears his Warden's Oath pendant at all times, a reminder of his Warden brethren. More importantly, Arrahel carries the equipment needed to perform the Joining and turn others into Wardens. Otherwise, he carries what little correspondence he has received from other Wardens as well as a record of his personal observations. But perhaps most importantly of all, he has a copy of the Grey Warden's treaties.

Biography:

Arrahel's parentage is unknown. All he ever had of his parents was a small Chantry talisman that was used as a prayer stone, from which he speculates his birth mother may have been a Chantry lay-sister.

Regardless, he was brought to Fereldan's Circle of Magi as an infant and was raised by a married elvish healer and human elementalist who could not conceive. They are the one who named him "Arrahel," after a famous mage who made great strides in researching the Fade relative to his time, and Arrahel still considers them to be his true parents. As a child in their care, the young mage showed a large innate aptitude for magic of the magic of his father, favoring lightning magic. He also showed potential in the field of his mother, and did some training in that as well. However, did not come to specialize in either form.

It was about the time when his training began that he was tormented by some of more despicable Templars of his Circle, especially because he was raised by both a human and an elf. It was also about this time he took up "the White" as the suffix to his name, due to the fact the other young mages marveled at his unusual white hair.

When he came to be seventeen and deemed ready, the elf passed his Harrowing with flying colors, being made a full member of the Circle. It would be two years later that the Warden-Commander before him came to the Circle and recruited Arrahel to the Wardens.

Arrahel then joined the Warden-Commander, two Senior Wardens, and eight other Warden-Recruits on the path to the Joining, after which Arrahel and two other of the recruits became apprentice Wardens. It was during this period of apprentice-hood that he rediscovered the lost teachings of the Arcane Warriors and committed to their study, which included learning far more written Elvish than he had in the Circle.

By the time he was twenty-three, Arrahel became one the Senior Wardens in Ferelden after one of the two before him perished. Likewise, by the time he was twenty-five, there were only three Wardens remaining in Fereldan, the other Senior Warden and the previous Warden-Commander. It was during this time that the other Senior Warden became sick with the Calling, leaving for the Deep Roads. From there, the Warden-Commander and Arrahel divided so as to search for recruits and conscripts.

During their time apart, Arrahel came across a Dalish clan that was beset by Darkspawn. Upon request from their Keeper, Arrahel tracked and killed the group of Darkspawn that was pursuing them, specifically near the ruins of Ostagar. It was here that Arrahel fell to an ill curse upon the land, perhaps one that had been resting since the last Blight. Irregardless, the Warden fell into a comatose state and was kept safe by the Dalish until he awoke three years later.

By the time he awoke, the world was in chaos.

As such, he learned everything that he could from the Dalish up to the point that there had no longer been any Wardens seen in Fereldan, Orlais, or even the Anderfels. As such, an internally frightened Arrahel was forced to take up the mantle of Warden-Commander of Fereldan. With supplies from the Dalish, along with a promise of aid, Arrahel turned to pursue news of an expedition set to find the remaining Grey Wardens. Though he likely would not meet the initial group, he would meet up with them.

Perhaps, he thought, they could be the first to bring hope back to Thedas.

Class and Specialization: Mage ---> Arcane Warrior

Defining Strength:

Natural Leader

Some would say that Arrahel was born to lead. Though he isn't exactly the most charismatic individual, many find him trustworthy and knowledgeable enough to wait for his direction.

Other Strengths:

Arcane Warrior- Arrahel rediscovered the lost teachings of the Arcane Warriors during his time as an apprentice Warden. Committing to the study of the extinct Order, Arrahel undertook the teaching of combat with blade and shield. In time, Arrahel achieved a mastery in the ways of the Arcane Warrior to the point he can even instruct others.

Grey Warden Knowledge- Arrahel is one of the few remaining Wardens, and is therefore one of the few remaining individuals with knowledge of the Order and how to combat the Darkspawn and slay an Archdemon. Arrahel himself knows well enough how to perform the Joining, and has the equipment necessary.

Greatest Weakness:

Self-Doubt

Arrahel was one of the most constantly demonized mages in his Circle by the Templars given his desire to research further into some of the elder magics. On one occasion he was almost sentenced to be made Tranquil by some of the Templars, but the First Enchanter knew otherwise. Somewhat traumatized from this bullying, Arrahel rarely has full confidence and finds himself needing the support of others.

Other Weaknesses:

Inexperience- Arrahel does not have formal experience as a leader among Wardens, especially in the fight against the Darkspawn.

Overthinker- In part due to his inexperience and lack of confidence, Arrahel has a tendency to overthink and overplan his actions. Sometimes this can get to such an extent that he needs to be reigned in by his companions.

Random Fact:

Arrahel is ambidextrous!​

Last edited:
@BearEnthusiast

Changed up some things for my characters, is there anything else that needs fixing?
Elwyn is accepted. For Allan, eighteen is still slightly too young imo, bump it up to twenty and he will be fine! But I feel like since he wants to be a knight, it'd make more sense if he came from either Orlais (where their chevaliers are like the shit) or Ferelden. Antiva is more known for it's assassins than anything else. Also if he were from Ferelden, it'd be easier to get a mentor relationship going on between him and Fergus (a renowned prince and knight) you know? Regardless, it is your choice. (Also slightly unimportant, but I'm going to try and find pictures that match their descriptions so I can put something in the current cast section. I'll run the pictures by you beforehand though, granted I find any at all :p)

ALSO @Tyrannosaurus Rekt, Ghrem is wonderful. Accepted.

@AceSorcerer Any active grey wardens have disappeared over the course of a century and nobody knows why. If it still suits the character your thinking of however, you may have either an inactive but high ranked warden or something more like Blackwall as Gateman suggested. If you have some other creative ideas as to why Arrahel's an exception, I'd be glad to have him on the expedition.

@UltimaCircuit It's a yes, but its likely you'll be the last two to join.

I'll be changing the tag to Closed Signups in a second here. If I did my math right if everyone who's expressed interest so far finishes their sheet it will bring us to a eleven writers right of the bat. Normally, I wouldn't prefer a number that high just because personal preferences but due to the nature of the DA universe it will work. When I get the IC up and running however it will be likely our cast will be separated into two different groups at first.

@BearEnthusiast

Bumped Allen's age up. And I went with Antiva because I imagined him in a merchant family, and those appear prominently there so...But I can see where you're going with the places you recommended. Even if Antiva is known for their assassins, I still feel like there would be some that would take up the role of a knight in that area.

@BearEnthusiast Inactive but high ranking it will be. I'll adjust Arrahel accordingly.

@BearEnthusiast

Bumped Allen's age up. And I went with Antiva because I imagined him in a merchant family, and those appear prominently there so...But I can see where you're going with the places you recommended. Even if Antiva is known for their assassins, I still feel like there would be some that would take up the role of a knight in that area.
Alright then. Fergus will be interested to test a knight from Antiva, as their exploits are generally unheard of compared to their various assassins's guilds. It'll be interesting. (:

Glad to hear it, I look forward to the final product. @AceSorcerer

Okay as a lot of things are happening going to do a quick little summary/round up post.

As of right now we have a total of 6 accepted writers.
@BearEnthusiast
@weird.
@Kitti
@Gateman
@chaosheart13
@Tyrannosaurus Rekt

We have 6 other people who've expressed interest, but may back out at any time before submitting their C.Sheet.
@Lysander
@DustBunny
@SoulGamer92
@Wolfsin
@UltimaCircuit + 1

Out of the accepted characters there are currently 3 Humans, 2 Elves, 1 Dwarf, 1 Qunari and 2 Qunari-Elf Halfbloods.

Out of the accepted characters there are currently 3 Warriors, 3 Rogues, 3 Mages.

Before I forget, would all the character here be willing to do the Joining (keeping in mind what the public knows of it)? I feel that we could use this for a good early plot point.

I'm gonna make an elf mage and I'll get it up tonight! I haven't had access to a computer, so I'm doing this from my phone ^^;

• Thank You
Before I forget, would all the character here be willing to do the Joining (keeping in mind what the public knows of it)? I feel that we could use this for a good early plot point.
Hmm. I can't answer for everyone but I know that Fergus would because both his parents were and they taught him to respect the Wardens and their sacrifices. Valora on the other hand would be unsure, she believes in the order but the risks are high and she's always wanted a family.

• Thank You
Reactions: AceSorcerer
Status
Not open for further replies.