Dragon Age: Inquisition

Except there's a difference between a character acting independently and the protagonist having zero impact. Wrex shooting a guy was acting independently. He told you exactly what he was going to do, and he did just that. You had the choice of not bringing him with you. Later on in the game you can kill him, even, meaning you still have some impact on the world.
Anders tells you he's going to literally kill everyone.
You have no choice to stop him.
See why this is kinda really bad? You're just told things. You can't do anything except reply in a snarky fashion to everyone going completely insane until the game lets you kill more red shirts. On the bright side, I do love the snark button. That button got me through the whole game, even the absurd anime ending.

God, I love the snark button. So much. No matter how many times I tell myself, I'm going to be nice Hawke or mean Hawke, I'm snarky Hawke.

But we're still going to have to agree to disagree - I didn't mind being told things. Because honestly, I think there would have been even more shit thrown should the game have let you try to stop Anders and have you fail. Nor do I think it would have been a better story if you had been able to make Anders stop. I don't think it should be done in all games, but for me, it worked for DA2.

@Windsong - I think what you said was taken slightly out of context of his statement. I'm sure there's plenty of weirdo requests for people who really do only care about the awkward sex scenes. I don't necessarily agree with the guy, but he said that female dwarves tend to look like they're 14 not "anyone who wants dwarf romance is a pedophile." You also pointedly ignored my question about if it was an issue with gay/bi/straight options for the characters rather than "ugly" women comment. This is seemingly yet another situation where I fail to get a satisfactory answer from anyone who cries foul that the gaming industry is pandering to a vocal minority.

A question wasn't ignored ,just overlooked while I came up with a viable response on my phone while at work.

It might be less of an issue regarding the lbgt community in regards to ugly characters. Though I am aware that many people did complain about a character looking to good and as some kind anon once wrote "alienating" ugly people. That had me laughing for a good while.

Maybe I'm getting my idiots of the gaming industry confused. It's so hard to remember them all nowadays with so many filling the ranks.

Au contraire, I think it would have worked to the game's credit if it gave me the option of trying to stop him only for him to use magic and then start this chase sequence where I end up seeing him blow up the church anyway. While it'd still be an illusion of choice, at least it'd have given me the option of saying "fuck you and your plan" rather than a meek "well please don't be a genocidal lunatic. That wouldn't be nice."

I dunno about all of gaming pandering to a vocal minority, I thought we were talking about Dragon Age? I'm also not sure if that's a case of pandering so much as it is just being inclusive of different kinds of people who have differing sexuality from one another.

Still. I think I've said my piece. I'm off to find something shiny to steal.

giphy.gif

FOR MY PEOPLE!

All of gaming isn't pandering just yet, but it is common practice for companies to cave in to the vocal minorities wishes and demands at the detriment to a core audience.

The hatred comes from the bastardization of a mediocre but promising series, the same thing happened with Mass Effect.
And the pandering. Oh the pandering to such tiny but noisy communities.
Heeeey now.

I loved all 3 Mass Effect games. Other than the lead writer running off part way through 3 to work on The Old Republic and ultimately dooming the trilogy to the Killer Kool-Aid ending, they're all pretty stellar. Hell, I've beaten each game at least 3 times a piece.

All of gaming isn't pandering just yet, but it is common practice for companies to cave in to the vocal minorities wishes and demands at the detriment to a core audience.

How is lgbt content to detriment of anything

Uh oh. I see where this is going.

KCE9a.gif

• Love
Reactions: Windsong
Most of the people bitching about it are probably the same people flooding your Facebook feed with silly slogans like, "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" like they're super clever.

That or they're just upset that the set of pixels they want to rub their e-genitals against don't want their D or V like it's a personal insult.

I am curious exactly how big your gif folder is at this point. :P
Huge and full of ferrets.

giphy.gif

That one is one of my favourites.

As I already said, when its pandering to such a small audience that it ends up alienating its core audience. It's also an issue when it becomes one. Do I care if my character is gay? No. I do care if he's a flamboyant faggot who can't keep a cock out of his mouth to save his life by breathing air.

Sexuality as a defining character trait in anything is just garbage.

As I already said, when its pandering to such a small audience that it ends up alienating its core audience.

R u fr srs.

Isn't that only a problem if the core audience actually feels alienated around LGBT scenarios? I mean unless you're a homophobe or some equivalently grumpy individual, you shouldn't feel alienated. The presence of lgbt scenarios doesn't negate heterosexual ones.

Hm. Well, so much for this thread being light hearted and fun.

R u fr srs.

Isn't that only a problem if the core audience actually feels alienated around LGBT scenarios? I mean unless you're a homophobe or some equivalently grumpy individual, you shouldn't feel alienated. The presence of lgbt scenarios doesn't negate heterosexual ones.
It can be alienating to some when it's forced in for the sake of it. Some are fine. Some don't care either way.

To some it does feel forced. Look at Dorien from the game. He's flaunted as the first fully gay bioware character. As if that should matter if he's well written and likable as a party member and story arc. No one from Obsidian went around touting Arcade or Veronica as that.

It's nothing to do with homophobia and more to do with pushing an agenda in people's faces that they don't care for.

Except plenty of people apparently do care about it. You are, after all, claiming it's pandering to an audience. That must inherently mean there's people out there who want to see this agenda. And if you're not one of those people who pushed for it, then why give a shit? It's not directed at you, you don't have to care about it. Being on the internet gives you the distinct advantage of mulling over what you want to, when you want. If some article proclaimed a character the "first gay character" in that companies series of games, then ignore it. You have no obligation to stare at and read it until your eyes water.

If a game came out in which LGBT additions were mentioned and/or, I could care less. Such things are so natural to me in my environment that mentions of LGBT impact me with about as much force as the rays emitted from a fucking household light bulb. Their additions do not affect me. They do not affect the game. They shouldn't bother you.

It isn't pandering to a small audience anyways, considering the immensity of the LGBT community.