Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I know its not really technically a dragon type, but could I have a charizard? I plan to join and can get a CS up and ready, but I'm thinking about drawing the appearance, so I thought II best ask before I sketch in a Pokémon I can't have!

Charizard is one of the available pokemon partners, so yes of course ^^
The list of acceptable partners is in the overview, if you want to double check ;)

Charizard is one of the available pokemon partners, so yes of course ^^
The list of acceptable partners is in the overview, if you want to double check ;)
Ahh, I never noticed that! Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Actually, I can't find anything that explains what Team Aether is; is this something akin to Team Rocket?

I noticed a few problems. If everyone is a dragon tamer, then the economy will collapse. We need more characters, that way. We can't rely on only NPC's for everything, really. Also, JUST DIVERSIFY! Don't go straight for the coolest one! Try experimenting outside of you comfort zone!

Also, @rusty4297, match your picture to the job. That picture is quite obviously an alchemist/inventor. NOT a tamer. You wouldn't have someone in a baker's uniform with deep-sea diving as their profession. So don't make an inventor, who would spend most of their time dealing with electronics, not creatures, train a dragon. The picture is more suited to a blacksmith (SOMEONE WHO MAKES THINGS). By all means, keep the picture, but give it more thought in the future. The coolest doesn't mean the most suited. And also, if you can give me a valid reason that I cannot reasonably argue against, I will accept it. So, if you want, try me. o3o

Now that my quick rant is over, I'm going to focus more on making characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a few problems. If everyone is a dragon tamer, then the economy will collapse. We need more characters, that way.
<------ Blacksmith/teacher yet, I don't know for sure. That being said, the plot seems to revolve around these dragon tamers...Ideally, it would be better to make the dragon tamer role redundant; in very much the same way HTTYD had everyone get up in arms whenever they saw a dragon, the townsfolk should so the same. I imagine it's a fairly small community since everyone's allowed an egg age 10, consequently there wouldn't be enough manpower for a separate guarding unit specifically for rogue dragon Pokémon.

A better idea would be to have it as a part-time role; AKA people have a main profession but are called out to perform guard duty on various shifts. Perhaps a group of people is organised by the captain to take down the rogue Pokémon. Then you can have the best of both worlds; all your badass dragon tamers AND a stable economy.

<------ Blacksmith/teacher yet, I don't know for sure. That being said, the plot seems to revolve around these dragon tamers...Ideally, it would be better to make the dragon tamer role redundant; in very much the same way HTTYD had everyone get up in arms whenever they saw a dragon, the townsfolk should so the same. I imagine it's a fairly small community since everyone's allowed an egg age 10, consequently there wouldn't be enough manpower for a separate guarding unit specifically for rogue dragon Pokémon.

A better idea would be to have it as a part-time role; AKA people have a main profession but are called out to perform guard duty on various shifts. Perhaps a group of people is organised by the captain to take down the rogue Pokémon. Then you can have the best of both worlds; all your badass dragon tamers AND a stable economy.
OhMyGodThankYou! This is smart! Using logic to figure out how the town would best make sense and suggesting a way to make it better. I fully agree with this. I believe that if the initial roleplays had gone much further, this would have been a problem. You have areas open for different jobs, but unless the character is a dragon tamer, they'd get left in the dust of the roleplay. The biggest role there is is the dragon tamer and you'd have to accommodate to that.

• Love
Reactions: Ythania
I do understand what you mean with the whole town coming to action, however I must add that once there were actual dragon riders, the other townsmen did nothing in the case of a dragon attack, which is mostly what I based it on.

I implemented the tamers function to keep it at least a bit organized. Keeping the roles clear keeps us from all jumping into action in the case of a dragon attack.

I do like the idea of having the part-time task force kind of thing. I'll look into that when I get to my pc.

• Love
I do understand what you mean with the whole town coming to action, however I must add that once there were actual dragon riders, the other townsmen did nothing in the case of a dragon attack, which is mostly what I based it on.
Ah, but I'm putting it with the scale of the RP. In the second movie, the whole place is teeming with life, judging by the opening montage. Like I said earlier, this community is undoubtedly smaller than that of the one in HTTYD2; which means that if there was a dragon attack it would be a scramble to protect yourself and your property. I suppose it depends on which way you want to make your community look - if it's a large, thriving community then yes, a separate caste would be necessary to look after that number of people.

Consequently, you're only going to get RP from the dragon rider side of life; nobody will want to play a part in the nameless masses, which will make the RP seem false, the goals less pronounced. After all, why care about the hundreds of nameless citizens if a few buildings get torched in a big attack? The same technique is used in video games; you tend to grow more fond and more attached with certain characters in your fighting party instead of bob the baker.

Removing an organised guard (something I believe you can see I'm in favour of) will give your community a more rugged, self-sufficient look to it; something akin to Viking society. Everyone can fight, but nobody has the title of warrior. They're all doing their part to keep their town safe. And because you're RPing with bob who made you the food rations for you and your dragonite, and you've also met with sue who made the armour for you, AND you fight alongside them both and bob's house gets burnt down...see how it appears to be more gripping, more important, to keep things safe?

Ironically, by removing an ORGANISED guard OR changing it into a sub-role/a common ground whilst highlighting the importance of the civilians, you end up finding that the characters (and the players!) are more inclined to keep everything safe.
I implemented the tamers function to keep it at least a bit organized. Keeping the roles clear keeps us from all jumping into action in the case of a dragon attack.
Surely, though, your dragon-rider captain would be responsible for this? Perhaps her job is to ensure everyone is battle-ready, train the weak, keep an eye on the strong and on the mention of an emergency or a hunt, call out the people she sees fit. As the GM, you'd be able to keep the distinction between the fighting and the feeding. By doing this, you can actively switch the RP from all-military (which is what it's looking like right now) to all-civilian activities in a heartbeat. All the captain needs to do is yell out some orders or dismiss people.

I do like the idea of having the part-time task force kind of thing. I'll look into that when I get to my pc.

Yeah, I'm pushing towards this as well. Strikes a good middle ground between the full on dragon-rider and full on civilian RP. Take what Genesis said into account, too; at the moment the civilian roles are unnecessary, superfluous, in comparison with the dragon rider roles. Nobody will WANT to make one because it'll leave them out of the action. Allow every player to be part of the action regardless of role and you'll get a more diverse cast list.

I see your point, it does sound like a good idea.

Ah, but I'm putting it with the scale of the RP. In the second movie, the whole place is teeming with life, judging by the opening montage. Like I said earlier, this community is undoubtedly smaller than that of the one in HTTYD2; which means that if there was a dragon attack it would be a scramble to protect yourself and your property. I suppose it depends on which way you want to make your community look - if it's a large, thriving community then yes, a separate caste would be necessary to look after that number of people.

Consequently, you're only going to get RP from the dragon rider side of life; nobody will want to play a part in the nameless masses, which will make the RP seem false, the goals less pronounced. After all, why care about the hundreds of nameless citizens if a few buildings get torched in a big attack? The same technique is used in video games; you tend to grow more fond and more attached with certain characters in your fighting party instead of bob the baker.

Removing an organised guard (something I believe you can see I'm in favour of) will give your community a more rugged, self-sufficient look to it; something akin to Viking society. Everyone can fight, but nobody has the title of warrior. They're all doing their part to keep their town safe. And because you're RPing with bob who made you the food rations for you and your dragonite, and you've also met with sue who made the armour for you, AND you fight alongside them both and bob's house gets burnt down...see how it appears to be more gripping, more important, to keep things safe?

Ironically, by removing an ORGANISED guard OR changing it into a sub-role/a common ground whilst highlighting the importance of the civilians, you end up finding that the characters (and the players!) are more inclined to keep everything safe.

Surely, though, your dragon-rider captain would be responsible for this? Perhaps her job is to ensure everyone is battle-ready, train the weak, keep an eye on the strong and on the mention of an emergency or a hunt, call out the people she sees fit. As the GM, you'd be able to keep the distinction between the fighting and the feeding. By doing this, you can actively switch the RP from all-military (which is what it's looking like right now) to all-civilian activities in a heartbeat. All the captain needs to do is yell out some orders or dismiss people.

Yeah, I'm pushing towards this as well. Strikes a good middle ground between the full on dragon-rider and full on civilian RP. Take what Genesis said into account, too; at the moment the civilian roles are unnecessary, superfluous, in comparison with the dragon rider roles. Nobody will WANT to make one because it'll leave them out of the action. Allow every player to be part of the action regardless of role and you'll get a more diverse cast list.
Back seat GM detected..

Don't worry, if its the riders you're concerned about, I'll spice things up. You've already seen my first post.

Expect Minami to scold you for that by the way xD I was thinking your char could be a bit of a rebel and does stuff without telling Minami x3

@Stryder

Expect Minami to scold you for that by the way xD I was thinking your char could be a bit of a rebel and does stuff without telling Minami x3

@Stryder
He is that kind of guy hun. He might even use extreme force against the Tyranitar

Omg xD Then my expectations were well placed xD

sigfrid_by_ythania-d9djthv.jpg

Name: Sigfrid

Personality:

A rugged, gruff woman who has been buffeted by the cold winds with a warm heart. She regards everything with a hint of scepticism and wariness, brought upon by age and experience. Her mind doesn't register authority as a concept when given out to people freely; she instead respects those who 'prove themselves' to her through their actions. Unafraid to say what's on her mind, quick to scold people regardless of their age and occupation.

Contrastingly, she's very good with kids, the aura of self-assured confidence working to assert her own authority.
A strong believer in hard work gaining positive results, Sigfrid also maintains an strict training regime. Lover of teamwork and the ultimate helping hand, she has practically no quarrels with people joining her in whatever she is doing, her jolly demeanour usually breaking through around friends as she's quick to amuse with her sarcastic wit and (if you're very lucky) a couple of genuine compliments.

When she's angry, she tends to become a very physically aggressive person as she runs out of things to say and turns to her fists instead. Property damage tends to crop up if you incur her wrath; especially if you're stupid enough to tick off her Charizard as well.

Pokemon partner: Charizard (Odin)
Pokemon appearance:

Some hulking behemoth of a Charizard and a small wonder that Sigfrid managed to tame him, Odin is around 2 feet taller than his brethren, his wingspan larger than most too. His scales are thick and a burnt copper hue, whilst the thick leathery wings are a vibrant shade of turquoise. Whilst a Charizard is primarily bipedal in nature, the freaskish size of Odin forces the beast to sometimes awkwardly flop onto all fours to crawl through spaces or simply to just plod about, making for quite the sight.

His belly is rotund, but the rest of his body is laden with thick packs of muscle. The flame on the tip of this Charizard's tail is bright and vibrant, but a curious apparatus has been fashioned to avoid accidental house fires; an iron cage wrapped around the tip of Odin's tail to make it seem more like a huge oil lamp has been fitted. Odin doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, the leather straps close-fitting and sturdy.

History:

You would simply have to be a fool to have not heard the tales of Sigfrid around the village; whether she's telling them herself or you've heard it from word of mouth, this woman has a mixture of pride and regret about her past and feels like her story is one to learn from; the effects of overconfidence in the face of insurmountable odds.

Her childhood began as smoothly as any other upon the isle; the daughter of a builder in the island's community, Sigfrid matured into a rowdy and rambunctious child with pride for her apprenticeship as a builder and foolishness in her feverent dreams to become the best dragon-rider of the village. There was a time, of course, when people could believe her; she stands a good head taller than most with a thickened build, which gives her the physical advantage over a handful of her fellow playmates. Her rough playfighting was the cause of many scolds and even more black eyes.

Despite this dream of becoming the best, Sigfrid slacked off in school and did not pay enough attention during lessons, daydreaming of the day she receives a dragon Pokémon herself. When she was 10 she picked the biggest egg she could find and couldn't begin to mask her disappointment when it hatched into a treecko, having expected something...bigger and with wings. She treated her Pokémon with indifference, not even bothering to give him a name but focusing on training treecko to a point where he would be able to assist Sigfrid in taming something far more beastly.

By the time she was in her late teens, a mixture of teasing from her classmates (who assumed she was to receive a massive dragon) and her own impatient nature caused the silly idea to spring into mind that she should go forth and find a 'proper' dragon Pokémon on her own, confident that if she had some large beast by her side, treecko may be able to learn a thing or two and evolve into something similar. The horrendous consequences were not very evident to Sigfrid at the time, and on one snowy evening, she left the house in search of bigger and better prey.

Climbing the windswept wastes of Sevii, Sigfrid went delving into an abandoned cave, certain that the beast she searches for will be within. To her luck, she found a large, brutish Charizard - and sent in the grass pokemon, treecko, to attack it and subdue it.

The results were easy enough to predict. Treecko was slaughtered in seconds and Sigfrid - with a mixture of shock at her first witnessed death, despair that she did not better look after her Pokémon and rage at the fact she will be (most likely) unable to obtain another Pokémon ever again - launched herself at the beast, trying to subdue it through fist, tooth and nail. That didn't take too long to run its natural course either; she received a horrid burn across the side of her face and was tossed unceremoniously off the Charizard's back, cracking against the stone upon impact. Heavily wounded, burnt, bleeding and unable to move her legs, Sigfrid awaited the blow that would kill her.

If she had known that the Charizard was fairly complacent in nature, she most likely wouldn't have attacked in the first place; the beast realised that Sigfrid would be of no more bother to him and curled up on his side of the cave to go to sleep. But the nights in Sevii are cold and harsh, especially for a wounded young girl on her own in some abandoned cave nobody would be able to find in time. She passed out with pain on the slabs of granite that made up the mountain cave.

Sigfrid was missing for two weeks. Her father refused to give up hope, despite the overwhelming evidence that her arrogance brought her downfall. She refuses to tell what happened next in the story; perhaps due to painful memories, but more likely dramatic effect. Sigfrid returned to Ajagara 19 days later on the back of the very Charizard that tried to kill her - flopped over the side like a sack of potatoes. She remained bedbound for months, and during that time, the Charizard refused to leave her side.

Humbled and, more importantly, utterly ashamed at her actions, Sigfrid came back a changed woman. For a while she didn't even begin to think about dragon-taming anymore, adamantly explaining that the Charizard is not hers, that it's merely looking out for her until she gets better. She focused more on her building apprenticeship and shied away from people for a while until the usual confidence started to trickle back. Realising that her Charizard wouldn't leave her side anymore, she gave him the name Odin, considering him to be her protector and saviour.

Around 10 years ago Sigfrid returned to her usual habits of dragon-riding, this time on the back of Odin. His massive wingspan and her brute strength made for a scarily efficient combination, the attacks ruthless and precise - the only thing that the pair of them refuse to do is kill the beast they are attacking, instead hoping to beat it into submission and allow it a chance at life.

She now has her fathers' house to herself as he moved onto bigger shores, away from the island of Sevii, a few years after Sigfrid took up the mantle of dragon-rider. Her construction skills reflect her personality; stocky but practical houses, flameproof and warm, large enough for the Pokémon and tamer alike. She holds less gut-wrenching shame over her actions and instead uses her past as a cautionary tale to the cocky young upstarts. There's rumours that the slab of granite jutting up in the middle of her garden is actually a gravestone for the unnamed treecko, who died at the hands of her brazen actions.

Special features:
- Odin's Size: That comes as a feature in and of itself. The Charizard is bloody huge, the advantages of this are obvious. Counteracted by his sluggishness in agility and speed.

-Bone Horns: Usually, the spike-like protrusions on the second joint of the wing and the head are covered in thick, leathery skin. This Charizard has grinded away the flesh in some horrid wear-and-fear wounds, leaving sharp protrusions of bone instead of fleshy nubs. Just makes him that little bit more dangerous, but if they break, the pain would be unimaginable.

-"Quadruped": Odin's legs are short and stumpy, so he sometimes reverts to plodding around on all fours when he's inside of buildings or around the village to avoid losing balance and falling into something. This makes it easy to climb onto his back and ride him; something Sigfrid makes good use of. Whether or not he'll approve of you trying is another matter.

Pets: None. Sigfrid says she's worried Odin will eat her pets if she tried.
Extra info: ROTDP

Last edited:
I think I'm going to take up that idea.

Also, does nobody else need to post right now? Otherwise I'm going to post again

• Thank You
I think I'm going to take up that idea.

Also, does nobody else need to post right now? Otherwise I'm going to post again
I'm glad you're considering it, but now I'm confused; can I change my CS accordingly, or stick with what I have right now?

I noticed a few problems. If everyone is a dragon tamer, then the economy will collapse. We need more characters, that way. We can't rely on only NPC's for everything, really. Also, JUST DIVERSIFY! Don't go straight for the coolest one! Try experimenting outside of you comfort zone!

Also, @rusty4297, match your picture to the job. That picture is quite obviously an alchemist/inventor. NOT a tamer. You wouldn't have someone in a baker's uniform with deep-sea diving as their profession. So don't make an inventor, who would spend most of their time dealing with electronics, not creatures, train a dragon. The picture is more suited to a blacksmith (SOMEONE WHO MAKES THINGS). By all means, keep the picture, but give it more thought in the future. The coolest doesn't mean the most suited. And also, if you can give me a valid reason that I cannot reasonably argue against, I will accept it. So, if you want, try me. o3o

Now that my quick rant is over, I'm going to focus more on making characters.
1. People don't all RP for the realism, as evidenced by the fact that this very RP is based around a small town where people and pokemon (primarily dragon pokemon) coexist. RPing lets the creativity flow, and yes, I agree that if a town were made up of those we've put into the RP so far, it wouldn't last longer than a month or two at most, but that's not to say that we should be required to actually diversify. Also, not everyone chooses certain roles for the "coolest" bit that you seem to think. Sometimes, people who've been in the previous RPs return, and know that the overall story is centered around the dragontamers/dragonfighters and know exactly where to put their characters to get the chance to join in a majority of the fun (hint: that's me)

2. Yes... Yes the picture IS an inventor, but that doesn't mean that I have to follow the picture. I'm the one creating the character, not the artist. I chose the picture because it emphasizes the personality and appearance of the character, not because of the gear around him. The idea was that the inventions and such would let you visualize him as a scientific mind more easily, not to take entirely from the source. I'm not sure if you've noticed or not, but one of the first things my character's done is do an experiment to see if he could successfully do something. Also, perhaps you should try "suspension of disbelief" in which you look at something that doesn't fully make sense, but accept it because it's not the real world. In this case, I outright said below the picture that you should try to visualize it without all of the equipment, although that may not have been fully clear. If we were restricted to using pictures of characters that are obviously already part of the job that they're taking up in the RP, or at least, not part of a different job, many pictures would go unused despite the talent that the artist has provided, simply because it doesn't fit the scenario PERFECTLY.

I didn't choose solely because the picture was the coolest, the background, while not perfectly fitting the actual character, provided a means of causing those looking at the picture to see him as a scientist, even if he doesn't actually have that job. The picture seems like he makes things, yes, but if you read the entirety, I say that he doesn't have any of that equipment. The background and equipment simply helps one to feel like the character loves testing things, thinking them through, and executing plans to see them play out.

I would like to say, as well, that I DID put thought into it, which I may or may not have successfully displayed above, but know this, telling someone that they're wrong in front of others before even asking them they're reasoning, perhaps via PM, seems more like an attempted insult than a suggestion, that feeling being enhanced by the "try me" at the end of the paragraph. You might think you're simply trying to help, but as far as I can see, it seems more like you're simply trying to have everything your way so that others can't have the freedom that RPing allows. I see that you and Rainy seem to be doubling up while telling Minami how she's wrong, and though, maybe the suggestion's got good reason behind it, it does, yet again, seem as an unintentional stab at another's choice/opinion. Perhaps Minami intended for the RP to center around the dragontamers with people making background characters for the sake of additional fun to go along with it? Maybe that's not the case, and even if it were, I know, it could be more well-established for others to understand before making their characters, but the fact is that this RP is Minami's creation. Yes, you can have your say and suggest things to her about it, and yes, it will probably improve greatly if enough of us suggest features that we all enjoy, however, simply from the tone of the writing you've put out so far with your suggestion, it seems very much like you're trying to take over and steer the RP in the direction you'd prefer it go and give less room for creative control to the one who has, herself, made the RP that you've chosen to join. If you didn't intend to seem that way, I apologize for misunderstanding, as text makes emotion difficult to interpret, however... For now, I will hope that I haven't been too rude in my response, and would like to request that you accept my apology if I, in any way, have offended you.

Status
Not open for further replies.