Downloading PMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cosmic Castaway

Original poster
Just like the title suggests, I would LOVE to be able to download my PMs. Main reason being, that's where I do all of my roleplaying, and I would really like to have them in file form without the chore of copy/paste. My gf and I have been on iWaku for three years and we really like the format, color schemes, and other features. We RP together, every single day. Right now, I have three pages of PMs/roleplays, many with over a thousand replies. So... yeah... copy/paste is not ideal. I can't keep up!

Should something happen to this website in five, ten, thirty years down the road - I'd be pretty upset to lose everything we haven't already saved. These roleplays are something I really cherish and like to reread. And this site is basically a huge part of our life and we love it! :)

If this is something that can happen, I would absolutely be willing to help fund.

Thanks for any time and attention thrown this way! Cheers.

You could always just save the pages as a pdf? It depends on your browser... But most have the option :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Cosmic Castaway
You could always just save the pages as a pdf? It depends on your browser... But most have the option :)
Doing it by page would certainly be faster than by post. Not quite what I would like (as we're talking about anywhere from 20 to 70+ pages for the RPs I can't live without) but it's better than nothing. Thank you for the reply. :)

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
I don't think it's possible unfortunately! This option DOES exist for THREADS though. Best of luck!

• Thank You
Yeah, I know it's possible for threads, just not keen on putting our RPs out there I like that. :/ We were a part of Roleplayer Guild before coming here and you could download PMs there. At least, back in the day you could. No idea what it's like now.

Sorry, I'm so hard to please!

We've tried roleplaying in Google docs, etc. but nothing is as pretty and functional as iWaku!

There may be an addon that allows this but the admins would be more likely to know.

There are also tools that let you automate downloading multiple pages off a site but they are more complicated. I have seen browser extensions and dedicated programs both. If you use them please limit download rate to one page per second. If you need help with a 'pattern' or 'regex' to give that software please let me know.

And since some people do have concerns, there are plans in place to keep things running in the event something happens to either Diana or myself. In the event of a catastrophic server failure backups are made every hour and stored offsite for an extended period of time. In the event of a natural disaster or attack the backups are stored around 800 miles away and for the time being are actually on a separate division of the power grid than the main server. Nothing is ever a sure thing, but we do take keeping the site around quite seriously.

Well, it's certainly comforting to know so many precautions have been taken to keep our roleplays alive. (And while I have the attention of some big-wigs, I'd like to say that I really do appreciate iWaku and all the work you guys do. Even though I'm pretty much just a ghost user, I'm here everyday, and this site helps brings me a lot of fulfillment. So... thanks!)

If I go the route of needing patterns for page downloads, I'll hit you up. Thank you.

@Cosmic Castaway If you come up for something in the meantime, mind contacting me about it?
I've got a range of RPs that I'd love to save as well, and I've been neglecting saving the posts. (Because me and my partner are so active, so remembering to copy anywhere from five to thirty posts a day per pm with them is kind of hard >.>;; )

If there's some easy way to convert the PMs to a text-only format, similar to the export thread setup, then I'd absolutely LOVE to know the best way of going about it, lol.

Considering the pms are set up a lot like the threads in most aspects, you'd think that whatever setting is for the export thread bit would also be available for the pm system. Doesn't mean it is, but you would think that there is somewhere, lol.

Reactions: LunaValentine
@Navuso Unfortunately, I haven't really come up with a solution I particularly like. Copy/paste is still my preferred method because it looks the cleanest and still gives me the ability to edit out typos. Downloading the pages as PDFs downloads the entire page. All the buttons, pics, everything. If you don't mind that stuff, I'd recommend doing it through Chrome. I can link you to the 'how to' page I used if you like, but it's pretty simple.

I totally feel you, though. I have SO many RPs waiting to be archived, I almost need to hire someone part time to do it for me! Ha.

Anyway, good luck and good roleplaying!

Reactions: Navuso
@Navuso Unfortunately, I haven't really come up with a solution I particularly like. Copy/paste is still my preferred method because it looks the cleanest and still gives me the ability to edit out typos. Downloading the pages as PDFs downloads the entire page. All the buttons, pics, everything. If you don't mind that stuff, I'd recommend doing it through Chrome. I can link you to the 'how to' page I used if you like, but it's pretty simple.

I totally feel you, though. I have SO many RPs waiting to be archived, I almost need to hire someone part time to do it for me! Ha.

Anyway, good luck and good roleplaying!

I may look into making a stylish skin to remove most of the formatting and stuff of the pms to make the copy/paste option more viable. If I can do that, then find a way to export each page, then I'll be sure to post here.

The hard part will be the copying of every single page in each rp. If I can find a way to automate that, then I'll post that as well, lol.

I will dig more into this when I am at my computer. (I am piling up a lot to do tomorrow, lol)

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.