Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Post-apocalyptic, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Real Life, Comedy, Mistery and Horror
Cut.jpgLocation: Hogwarts Castle Grounds
Time of day: Friday; Late night hours
Interactions: Argus Filch - NPC
Adelaide Rosier - @Nemopedia

The flutter of heavy black wings sliced through the air just over Hagrid's Cottage. Crows and some jackdaws quickly emerged out of the Pumpin Patch and disappeared into the forest. Once their displeased gawks vanished among the trees, the grounds fell silent. Save for rhythmic snores coming out of the half-giant's home, barely audible in the heights.

Crossing the distance across the grassy plain, he landed at the beginning of the old wooden bridge and shook off the remainings of the dew from the back. With hours away from the dawn, he enjoyed some peace and quiet, crimson eyes vigilantly scanning the visible grounds.

He looked away only when a pair of slow footsteps approached, squinted face studying him for a moment before speaking up.

"Thought it'd be you," concluded Argus Filch, the man that somehow always knew how to sniff the right people out when he needed them. The raven observed the man for a moment, and then Mrs. Norris, cozily placed into his arms, eyes fixated.

Making peace with the fact that his venturing has been moved aside for whatever Filch needed him for, the raven landed onto the bridge and morphed. Black feathers were quickly replaced with clothes, and the long tail elongated and thinned out, creating a river of dark locks. Neither the man nor the cat flinched. Instead, they both seemed unimpressed.

"Good evening, mister Filch. Having a calm night, I hope," Virgil greeted in the usual polite manner, adjusting the herb pouch on his side.

"I haven't had a calm night since I was born. I ain't planning to start now," came out as grumpily as expected from Argus Filch and treating him with an elusive chuckle from the professor.

"I see. Well. Who am I to tell you otherwise?" Virgil responded light-heartedly, and it seemed that it was of Filch's liking as he wasted no time to nod in agreement. Virgil was aware of the man's eyes still resting on him even while he was busy charming his hair into a neat bunch and rolling his sleeves down per his own professional code. Even so, he allowed the man to speak first.

"You're in a good mood, professor," the man pointed out, stroking Mrs. Norris in the process. "Good hunt?" It seemed that the thought of it alone managed to amuse Filch as he finally cracked a smug smirk, expecting the answer that he would approve of. Virgil hesitated, but it did nothing to deter the man from the topic.

"It was quite alright. Thank you for asking," he worked his way around the initial mental setback. "I have picked up a few lovely herbal specimens on my way back as well." Argus always knew, on schedule, when the resident vampire would leave and then come back and what he would be doing in the process. With years it became less unnerving, and Virgil never blamed the man for his curiosity, as morbid as it was. However, the feeling of being an impostor would always find its way back with every confirmation of his habits. As expected, the man was visibly pleased with the answer, but the unfortunate thing was that it further opened up the topic.

"What was it this time, eh? A deer? Muntjac? Bugbear?" The latter was added with a dose of conspiracy. The plain peculiarity of a suggestion snapped Virgil out of his initial confusion, and he resumed with a smirk. "Ah, if I told you, you'd likely be disappointed. I'd like to leave that to the imagination. If you don't mind." Naturally, the smug smirk disappeared quickly after, but even so, Filch was content. He squinted once more inquisitorially before dropping the subject altogether with a simple "Aye. Suit yourself."

Happy to move further from the discussion at hand, Virgil used the pause to keep the words flowing with another. "But I am sure you did not come all the way here to discuss my venture," he noted. "How may I be of service?"

Filch's eyes darted towards his cat once he remembered the initial reason for finding professor Hildegard. "Right. Aye. Mrs. Norris is slowing down again, professor," he answered solemnly. "As it is now, she can hardly walk a few steps before giving up." The tone of Argus's voice became notably coated with concern. "She needs that mixture of yours. It is the only thing that helps."

It is the only thing that keeps her alive, actually...

But Argus Filch was certainly not there for a harsh reality of cats not being meant to live as long as their masters; he was there to make sure it happened. And while otherwise a rejectable request, Virgil initially agreed to humor the man in the light of two very compelling arguments: The cat - although ancient - was otherwise healthy, and Argus - otherwise a resident grouch - was otherwise lonely. It seemed like a justified generosity, and he was yet to find a solid argument for denying such generosity to the old grump.

Taking a brief look at the cat, Virgil nodded and gestured to Filch to follow along.

"Dosage will be per usual, and I will make sure I have a few more doses prepared and available." Acknowledging the directions, Filch grabbed the vial impatiently, but not without remembering his manners, even though they were mumbled out along the way. "Yes. Yes, thank you, professor." It was rare to receive a pleasantry from the old man, and Virgil felt no need to nitpick.

"You are very welcome, mister Filch. I am happy to help," Virgil responded politely, offering the caretaker to pass first towards the door, which Filch was quick to accept. Once outside, the man was briefly set back because he no longer found himself in the dungeons but on the third floor's corridor, freshly out of a broom closet. Having a widely recognized negative opinion on all kinds of shenanigans except for those he grew accustomed to, Argus once again frowned at Virgil. On the other hand, Virgil expected it and responded as soon as he stepped through the door himself. "I assure you it is only a light commodity. A shortcut, if you will."

"It's always about commodities and shortcuts with you lot," Argus grumbled once again as he walked away. When the man was at a distance, professor Hildegard reached towards the closet door, having every intention to retreat for the night until his ear twitched in the direction of muffed sounds coming from down the hall.

They indeed wasted no time. Classes were yet to start, and some youngsters clearly already had half a mind to drive the old caretaker insane. Well. It was better him than Filch walking into that classroom in any way.

The Charms classroom door was partially opened. Notable footsteps paraded around, stopping and moving again every once in a while. His own steps were quiet as he approached the door and stepped in, looking for the jester. Instead, he found a familiar face moving between the benches. Except, she no longer had anything else to learn in them.

"Remind me, miss Rosier," professor Hildegard spoke up after letting her have a moment of solitude, "How long was the Charms Club of your interest again? A month, was it," he jested. Discussing her on-an-off relationship with extracurricular activities and clubs became almost an everyday thing once he became the Head of Ravenclaw. A significant amount of times, he would have been stopped in a hallway by students requesting miss Rosier to rejoin. Although there were plenty of things he could do, persuading miss Rosier always presented a challenge.

"Nothing much has changed, I'm afraid," Virgil proceeded as he walked in, referring to the classroom that possibly looked precisely the same as it did years ago. "Wizards' need for predictability is both admirable and disappointing at the same time."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nemopedia
Euphoria Script; IM Fell Great Primer; Fjord One;
x
Adelaide Rosier
Hogwarts at night felt like a different domain. One forbidden and shrouded in mystery and history. The empty halls that usually tittered in gossip and groans, the air warmed with the despair and excitement of the students themselves. As a student Adelaide never got the chance to explore the place at night, for reasons obvious, but now even mr. Filch couldn't tell her 'no' anymore when they met. It was a dreary thought, for somewhere Adelaide did dream of being naughty for once. Though she had been quite so already by leaving the banquet early. That, if the former Ravenclaw held any of her taught manners in regard.

She never had much need for sleep, less so now after graduating. Work kept her busy and distracted from any feeling of fatigue and then there was the long forced bedrest she had only escaped now. But that wasn't what kept her awake now, or what had woken her from her early rest. It were thoughts of the past, recent and more faded; a history she couldn't return to or fix, out of her hands. Of a girl long gone and the woman she was now who had experienced a loss she didn't know she had in the first place.

"Charms are a lady's first and foremost art," she could hear her mother repeat the pleonasm snootily. There were more, but this one stood out for the dimmed classroom in which she stood, a hand placed on the desk she had spent so much time at, scribbled and scratched on like only teens could do. Her own marks, if she had left any besides from the occasional inkstain, had long since faded. The memory of her, gone and yet Adelaide could see herself sit in the seat by which she stood so vividly. It was strange how memories carried on. Stranger even to see how time moved without her in it, and how it would move without the rest.

Would she be remembered? Adelaide wondered that and the how. Thoughts that ran next to the memories of nostalgia she indulged herself within these peaceful hours of the night until a presence alarmed her, shoulders straightening and posture ready.

"A month and a fortnight," the female responded fondly to the figure entering, "late night, professor Hildegard," she followed up, her words more of a statement than a question, though she did want to ask. Adelaide was curious if the night to her former professor was as contemplative as it was to her, more so than the day when all could see one's face and read one's expressions. She wanted to know if it was the darkness that made her want to mull over the emotions of her memories and her very being, and if a candle light would break that mood. Most of all, Adelaide wanted to ask what she should call the man, now that they were colleagues. For in her eyes the man in front of her was still her professor, the role model she had looked up to for so long and took as example after graduation even still. Were they equals? And in what way, or only in name?

Questions she didn't ask as she turned her head down, back to the table blade to which her fingers still traced the familiar print of the wood, smooth and rough at the same time, old and a little damp because of age and humidity, but sturdy, still.

"My ink stains have disappeared at least," she pointed out, "but you haven't," she followed in thought, glad for it, but at the same time in envy and in regret. She had changed. In age, in appearance, perhaps even in character. Adelaide noted that she was the complete opposite of what the head of the house was, whose time seemed to stand still and who never seemed to change, and was always the one left to remember.

"I rejoined the following year, when they begged me so that they could join the competition."

Forcing her mind to dig up another memory Adelaide ran a hand through her loose strands, a chuckle escaping her when she recalled the face of the head of the club. It had been quite a debacle as well for Adelaide had just promised to join another club as well, to help out with their competition. "Should have said no," she breathed in jest, but the two of them knew the story. She had survived, they had managed and thanked her and left to her own devices again, to deal with her own exhaustion of being Adelaide.

Text colour: #B4AAB6

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
Interactions: Adelaide Rosier - @Nemopedia

Cut.jpg"Ah, yes," Virgil responded, amused by the recollection of the events. "I remember it fondly. It certainly was the most stressful time of my career," he recalled, proceeding further around the room at an even pace. "I did not believe until then that teenagers with requirements can be so anxiety-inducing." Granted, during that period, he only recently got a good grasp of all of the obligations that came with being the Head of the House, and he only did the best he could.

Should have said no," Adelaide jested, and it lured out a pondering "Hm," out of Virgil. Once again, he paid full attention to her, his expression relaxed but otherwise ineligible. "Perhaps," he proceeded. "But Adelaide Rosier never relied on the comfort that comes with a 'no', did she? It was admirable even for a Ravenclaw. Albeit unnecessary." It wouldn't have been the first time he had pointed out the pressure she could have avoided, and he firmly believed it would not have been the last. But Adelaide did what Adelaide wanted to do, even if it meant going against Adelaide in the first place.

"And for that reason," Virgil added, leaning comfortably against the professor's desk, "I believe Hogwarts could not have possibly forgotten about you. So, I would say that 'disappeared' is an inappropriate choice of words. 'Soaked in' sounds more fitting," he concluded with a brief smirk. "All that you did here strengthens the sole foundations of this school along with other bright minds throughout centuries. It doesn't forget. It incorporates."

There was no doubt that Hogwarts created many strong and intelligent witches and wizards in its long history, and assigning such features to a person was something he did not take lightly. But for miss Rosier, he had no doubts, even years after. "To be honest, I am honored to have the opportunity to work with you. I am confident you will be a valuable addition to Hogwarts, miss Rosier. So accept my warmest welcome," he offered with a respectful bow of his head.

Things evidently changed. From the youth she used to be, she grew up in a young witch still mindful of her manners and wit, although more careful. It was the wisdom that came with age, and it firmly separated this brand new Adelaide from the student he had known. As surreal as it was to comprehend, it was fascinating. Thanks to Caia, he was able to make peace with the fact that Wilbur was part of the same process. Thanks to Wilbur, he had accepted the fact that Shiori, as lovely and as innocent as she was, will soon follow. And thanks to all of them, it was much easier to accept that miss Rosier evolved as well.

On the other hand, there was something very positive about it all. They would finally see the anxiety as well as the excitement of being a professor. The thought of it left him feeling only slightly boastful.

"How does it feel, professor Rosier? Being assigned to the opposite side of the desk?" A slightly mischievous smirk escaped him, and he humbly lowered his head and cleared his throat to conceal the fact that he was, in fact, very amused. "If you wish for some guidance on how to handle a pile of teenagers and keep your wit, I am happy to offer guidance. Granted, I am still learning myself," he jested. The truth was, no matter the weight, he wouldn't change anything. With all other disasters of the world, teenagers were still the least taxing ones.

• Love
x
Adelaide Rosier
She felt… naked. Not in a literal sense, for despite the casual attire she was dressed quite soberly for bedtime. A long white dress, a chamberrobe over it and her hair loose. A casual dress that she would never allow herself in the daytime hours, but which was fine now. It was in a mental way, in a way that only professor Hildegard seemed to understand her without needing Adelaide to say it.

Hogwarts hadn't forgotten her. So he claimed and the female had to laugh at that, wondering why the analogy of being 'soaked in' felt so at its place, feeling undeserving of the high praise she was receiving. She was, after all, just another one of the many students Hogwarts had carried and her accomplishments hadn't been that great. Just there. Just herself.

"I can only hope I will live up to my reputation," she smiles, knowing that teaching and studying were two different things. She knew she could study. Her grades knew, her teachers knew, but teaching was something she had yet to try. Her only experience so far being the tutoring lessons she gave to her less equipped classmates. More memories of long ago. "But," she added fondly, "I will take you up on that offer." And that intent she had indeed, for the man had never stopped being a professor in her eyes.

Leaving the table the female strode over to the Head, offering an arm with a curt bow of her knees and a smile, "care for a little walk, professor Hildegard?" she asks of the man, feeling nostalgic in the late hours and wanting to explore the rest of the classrooms, but not wanting to cut the conversation short either.

She hadn't reacted to the last compliments given by the man on purpose, her mind still mulling over what sort of addition she was to make with her presence here. "I only wish the opportunity had been given to me under different circumstances," Adelaide sighs, alluding to the little detail that headmaster Pyre had divulged. A story not his to share, but the least important detail to the many 'why's' surrounding her sudden position here at Hogwarts. "the Headmaster certainly surprised me when he appeared in St. Mungos," she admitted, finding that professor Hildegard's statement earlier rang true indeed. She hasn't disappeared. Not yet, at least.

• Love

Cut.jpgIt was frankly the answer worthy of a single raise of an eyebrow, erased in a blink of an eye. It caught him off guard to realize that she accepted the idea of his help without thinking twice or fighting him over it. He acknowledged it with a nod that played well with the relaxed yet solemn atmosphere, but his mind was dissecting each part of their conversation, word by word.

Life happened. Years very much so. But there was a noticeable difference between maturing with them and maturing before them. While the rest of her peers matured with age, Adelaide just so happened to feel out of place from her base. She felt dimmer. It came to him how nothing was known about her until then and how the headmaster skipped the usual flare when he introduced her back. He noticed, but he sat it out patiently. As much as she did change unexpectedly, Virgil still firmly believed she would come to him for advice. The same way she used to all those years ago.

It quickly occurred to him that he was overanalyzing - as always. Perhaps it was the adrenaline of a good hunt and senses satisfied with blood that changed his perception. For a brief moment, Virgilius Hildegard felt self-conscious about seeking logic and resolution to the problem in everything instead of just listening - about the need to turn everything into numbers and patterns to avoid involvement. But perhaps that ship had sailed and sunk the very moment when other beings became his obligation. It's just that nobody had told him yet.

Sometimes, empathy got the upper hand with the right people, regardless of the good fight he put up. The sincerity of Adelaide's request undoubtedly rubbed off. Without much more effort invested into keeping a straight face, Virgil smiled at the gesture. "I would be delighted," he responded shortly after, separating himself from the table.

"If you will have me," he jested, accepting the leading arm. It was quite an unusual arrangement, given how Adelaide was significantly shorter and more petite, but Virgil did not mind. On the contrary, he vastly enjoyed playing along. "Lead the way," he cued, cutting off the rest of the sentence.

And there was the conundrum. It was a thing that was implied, but he should have expected that it would not resonate with Adelaide the same way it did with others. After they exited the classroom, Virgil decided that mentioning it openly was the only way the young woman would register it. "Just to clarify," sounded the careful selection of words, "I never insist on it, but 'Virgil' is perfectly acceptable within the circle," he smirked, referring to her habit of calling him by his title. "Other than that, use whatever you feel the most comfortable with. I do believe, however, that a fresh start is an excellent opportunity to stretch out your zone of comfort." It would have seemed like an insignificant change, but knowing Adelaide, it felt like a decent challenge.

As much as he subconsciously expected the tone in which her response was delivered, it still managed to intrigue him. Yes, he preferred labeling it 'intriguing' rather than 'worrying.' It made all the difference between helpful and absolutely useless. He listened on patiently, adjusting his steps with hers.

The matter of fact was that the behavior described indeed seemed like something Pyre would do - altogether skip on mentioning something so essential and handle it alone, on his own terms. A well-calculated mental inhibition was up and running once more, and Virgil's annoyance was kept within. A single notification of the situation would have been greatly appreciated. He would care to check on her. They all would. But perhaps preventing that was the entire point. As bad as his executions seemed, Virgil knew the man long enough to trust that Pyre knew why he did what he did.

Even though he trusted the headmaster while not necessarily agreeing with his choices, Virgil couldn't help but feel disappointed this time around. He exhaled. He was hardly aware that he instinctively held his breath as he was soothing his thoughts. Suddenly, Caia's perplexed face came to mind when he asked her to leave it for the time being. She was disappointed, and she did not hesitate to tell him so, as soon as the room was empty.

"Don't you want to know? Do you not care to know?!"

Certainly, but he firmly stood behind his decision to delay it until the right moment, and he knew that Caia understood. After all, it was enough that they both knew that something did not sit right. He also knew that Caia was aware that he would never throw her a bone either if he ever got a piece of information, and for that, she was evidently upset. But as much as Pyre had no right to speak for Adelaide, neither did he. Caia was on her own, but he knew that she was very much aware of it and capable of handling it herself. If anything, Caia always did things her own way.

Because of that knowledge, it did not feel like a betrayal of trust when he took the conversation in an expected direction, as quickly and as painlessly as he could.

"What happened?" Virgil asked calmly, his stare drifting briefly towards distant corners of corridors. It sounded and felt more like an option to respond to rather than an obligation, and, in all honesty, he had no intention of pressing her. Be that as it may, he felt the need to know strongly enough to put it into words while fully expecting his request to be denied.

"I would appreciate it," he added sincerely, lowering his gaze towards her. She would know exactly what he would have appreciated. He never needed to use many words with Adelaide for her to guess it - a simple hint or even less, so he would be able to understand.

Last edited:
  • Ah Seen It
x
Adelaide Rosier
Those swirling digging eyes that Adelaide was too familiar with, the tendency to live within the mind rather than the outside. She recognised them, within the man, with herself, shared by the both. Questions popping up but never asked and Adelaide was partly grateful for the lack of voice given to them. Partly, for another part wondered what it would be like if they shared. Would she be tempted to answer them?

'Virgil', he had allowed her to call him. Somewhere in the back of her mind Adelaide could recall her former professors do the same. It had seemed natural for her teachers to call everyone but the students by their first name. Yet, to Adelaide it felt unnatural, strange, the thought unbecoming as she felt resistance within her to even repeat it now at night, or even in mind.

"Addy," she said instead, "in that case Addy is fine for me," she smiled, but she didn't repeat 'Virgil' or dared to say it even within her mind. She would have to find a solution for it some other time, perhaps a compromise of sorts even. Virgillius? Hildegard? She tried them all mentally, but tried not to show it on her face.

But the conversation moved and there they were again standing at the edge of everything. Even the metaphorical cool wind blowing joined them on this September night where the summer heat was chilling.

"It happens to the best of us," she repeated the words of the head of her department. "Aurors aren't certain of their own lives, after all," Addy sighed, her arm unconsciously clenching her hold around professor Hildegard's. Though she had healed, Addy still ached, the pain of loss and failure still raw.

"I don't know how headmaster Pyre found out," she continued, and this was only partly a truth, for she had a suspicion, but she wasn't about to share that, "but I asked him to keep quiet about it. It doesn't do to carry a mission so long," and here Adelaide felt herself turning a little colder and distant. For by turning it into just a 'mission' that happened to have consequences it felt further away than the 'death of a colleague'.

Finding the mood heavy for a lovely late summer night Addy patted professor Hildegard on the arm with her other hand, another smile crossing her lips, though it didn't reach the eyes.

"I'm quite alright now, Hogwarts will be good," and with that she led the two of them into yet another classroom filled with memories. This time it was the DADA classroom that also functioned as the duelling club room. Her classroom.

Sucking in a deep breath she let go of professor Hildegard's arm as she stepped further into the room, examining the place as Pyre had redesigned it to adjust to her curriculum plan. The tables and seats were gone. Even the long table on which Harry Potter had his infamous first duel was gone. It only left a large room and a blackboard, no stage, no distractions. None visible, at least.

"I already received several letters of dissent from parents and board alike, but Headmaster Pyre gave his approval all the same," she spoke, in a way satisfied, in another way ponderous, as she was still unsure of the right and the wrong. Though, most of the letters of dissent had come from pureblood families like her own, as these letters of complaints tended to be. Only the rich, the old and the powerful seemed to care more, or too much. Just as the address had been more personal rather than questioning the method itself, which was why Headmaster Pyre pushed forward. For the Headmaster never did anything in compliance to personal grudges.

"I would at least like to try," she exclaimed into the empty room, knowing that Professor Hildegard had probably been informed of her plans as the Head of the House. And even if he hadn't Adelaide wanted to run by him anyway, wanting to hear his opinion.

• Spicy
Cut.jpgLocation: Hogwarts Castle Grounds > DADA Classroom

The reality of how little of good souls among Aurors they had left came back to him. This time, it hit harder and closer than simply discussing it over a cup of coffee with an acquaintance. Suffering and risking for the safety of others was a noble but ungrateful act. But the most upsetting thing of all was that they were bright people wired to believe their lives are expendable for reasons less than deserving.

He remained silent until the subtle constriction around his arm got his attention back to the current state of things. And he understood. He wouldn't be getting any more information on which he could ponder, analyze and conclude, but it was quite alright. Priorities of the situation laid in a different sort of reassurance, and opting for it, Virgil reached for and wrapped his slender hand reassuringly around her lower arm.

"Regardless," he responded calmly. "It is alright not to accept it as such all at once. You learn to handle it." Sometimes, he could have used a reminder of his own advice given.

"Nothing escapes the old man," Virgil reckoned. "Pyre's way is only really known to Pyre." And it was primarily inconvenient more than anything, but its genuine inconvenience tended to show only when serious things were in question. Curiosity was a significant portion of Virgil, but so was learning to accept its limits - at the very least until some other, more convenient time. If such a concept even existed when the topis was so difficult to simply slip into everyday dialogue. For the time being, it felt unfair to pry on when he was the person just as secretive and distant.

"But I understand," Virgil nodded, perhaps reassuring himself more than her. "Just know that I am willing to listen if you ever need to be heard out," he smirked as a response to her partial, insecure smile. Well. It was a start. Hogwarts would undoubtedly be an improvement. It was fascinating how it seemed to be less of a school and more of a safe haven from the outside's problems. At least for a while.

Moving further, he still allowed Adelaide to lead, and gradually, she was attracted to her own assigned classroom. DADA seemed to have the biggest misfortune out of all the subjects regarding professors' longevity. This time, he was confident that Adelaide is there to hold the fortress better than any. Leaving his side, she proceeded further in, soaking in the empty room.

"I love what you did with the place," Virgil jested, considering the room was completely emptied. "It suits you very well. I feel you will handle this wonderfully," he referred to the entire ordeal of being a professor. Better yet, a DADA professor. Admittedly, those were a category for themselves. An amused scoff escaped him with her mention of all the complaints and Pyre's lack of care for them.

"Now, come on. You should be familiar with the fact that Pyre couldn't give less than Kneasle's whisker about what everyone, including parents, thinks about his decisions," he chuckled. It was a terrifying thought for someone just a few hours away from officially being acknowledged as a parent. That is, it would be had he not known Pyre for so many years. "And I was very much in the same position years back when wizards were even less of a crowd to appreciate the change," he recalled, roaming around. "Perhaps it will not be easy for you to make peace with some of the things that will be thrown your way. The reality is, I never entirely made peace with some of mine. But mark my words, you will be too busy to pay attention, and after a while, it all becomes nothing but meaningless noise. Aggravating, certainly. But harmless."

From the beginning on, he had appreciated the level on which Pyre held Hogwarts. Bit by bit, his awkward nature pushed out all of those unwilling to cope with it. And if one was able to tolerate Pyre's personality, then they certainly had no problems with a vampire or a former Auror, as long as, at the end of the day, they were all on the same side, agreeing that Pyre is just a child trapped in the old man's body. He, for one, had no doubt that she would not only manage but thrive as well.

"It is a lot to take in. Realizing that you are in charge of molding so many minds," he admitted. "But I have seen the DADA curriculum for this year, and I am looking forward to students having an opportunity to participate in those projects." There was genuine interest from him for the class points chosen long before he knew the name. He yearned for something new to be considered, just like the Ravenclaw house yearned for more challenges and more opportunities to thrive.

"So I would like to express my support for your plan as the Head of Ravenclaw. I would very much love seeing some of it personally if an occasional peek would be allowed, of course," he smiled slightly more carefreely than he expected, quickly toning it down as habit entailed. "It is a curiosity of mine rather than assessing. I have assessed what I had years ago. Perhaps now, I could learn something as well."

• Ah Seen It
x
Adelaide Rosier
To hear her out. Adelaide let those words sink in, once more patting Hildegard's arm in absentminded regard as she heaved a sigh to herself. She didn't want to be heard out much more than that she wished to ask questions. There were so many, but none appropriate, or suitable, or even right. It wouldn't do, to start the year so muddled, to allow this year with only dark clouds on the horizon and igniting a storm. Peace was needed and Adelaide needed to focus, not interrogate the innocent.

"Do you mean to say that my character is as empty as this space?" the female cracked a joke, her fingers lacing together at her back. The stretch of her arms reminded her of the bandages she still had wrapped around, though they held no physical wounds anymore. Healing magic was a great innovation after all, though it hadn't managed to heal the wounds suffered to the mind and heart.

But the emptiness she had jested about gave some comfort and the thought that professor Hildegard stood behind her didn't churn her stomach or squeeze her heart in fear. She felt at peace and somewhere Adelaide wondered if perhaps she was indeed like this empty room, void of much and waiting to fill it in with all the things that comforted her.

"The parents," she spoke slowly after a short pause, "I wish they had protested against my curriculum, but it was to me instead," Adelaide spoke and this time she allowed a little bitterness to show through. She was familiar with Hildegard's story, her parents had been vocal about his appointment after all. And when the time came to choose the new Head of her house Adelaide was nearly transferred when it came out that she had not only voted for the vampire, but that he had actually won.

The memory earned a chuckle from her side coming in combination with his own proud claim as the Head of Ravenclaw. She could care less about the opinions in regards to her. But school boards were never meant to analyse the quality of education, she had found. "Headmaster Pyre loves his gossip too much," Adelaide concluded in slight disdain. Which was true, but only because he loved it even more to meddle. Hence why the man had rushed to her side even faster than her parents had as soon as she opened her eyes in St. Mungos.

"You're always welcome, professor," Adelaide spoke, her head lifting a bit as she eyed the man who had not aged over the years. It was unsettling, for as a teen she had found an adult in his appearance, but now as an adult herself she found a peer. One that by conventional standards would have been considered a handsome one, which was a description very few wanted to give to their teachers.

Returning to Hildegard's side in a stride the female smiled inwardly, nostalgia written all over her face as she eyed every crevice of the room. She hadn't been at Hogwarts since her graduation and had only been able to leave instructions to the design of the room. To see all of her wishes so complied to pleased her, but also left a hint of regret as the former Ravenclaw would have loved to catch one last glimpse of it.

"If you do decide to drop by, however," the female spoke as she once more offered an arm to the man, signalling that they were to continue their late-night walk, "do forgive me for slipping back into a student's disposition, it is after all very nerve-wracking to have a teacher look over your shoulder. Former or not," Adelaide continued, as she mentally included that this double so went for him as her most cherished educator.

• Love

Professor.

No. It did not escape him. Moreso, he had expected himself to be more disappointed that she had insisted, but instead, there was a different feeling involved altogether.

A relief, perhaps?

"Very well," echoed the response: direct towards Adelaide's reply while universal towards both problematics in Virgil's mind. As mixed as his feelings were towards her choice of reference, it certainly helped him understand miss Rosier's lines without prying inappropriately. Plenty could have been said by the addressing alone, and he was grateful she gave him a direction to go in. Some time needed to pass to know this version of her, and it felt like that simple distinction bought him enough time to do so comfortably.

It was suddenly apparent to Virgil how little regard he gave to the paired etiquette, and for that, he was ashamed. Being aware of her attention now meant acting according to her limits. As seamlessly as possible, Virgil's posture recovered its authority, albeit without the intention of distancing. It was humorous how his ability to observe and emulate has been defined as an affability. Had they known that simply removing the two meant the young vampire had no sense of socialization - as rare as it already was - it would have seemed neither exciting nor impressive.

He returned her gaze with a polite smirk. There was still that recognizable spark of a well-known curiosity in her eyes, behind all of the measured out mannerism. It was tempting. If only he could know what was going on in that busy head of hers. If only, not because he couldn't attempt it, but because he wouldn't, regardless of his interest. His respect towards her was paramount.

Therefore, when she offered her arm, Virgil obliged once again, following along. The brief chuckle, as he did so, was somewhere between amusement and a dare. "I wish I could say I understand, miss Rosier. But I wouldn't know what nervousness feels like. It all came so naturally to me since the very first step into the classroom. I would expect you to follow suit."

Ah, of course. Those days of approaching the class with anxiety and feeling inadequate teach anyone helpful anything and be a healthy example. Then, there were all those nights of pondering whether to quit because children were perhaps struggling. And, above all else, all those times Slughorn called him a dunce, with all the good intentions. Good times...

And when was the exact moment he became the schoolwork bogart from all of that? He couldn't recall.

Virgil's claim was nothing but a dry jest that he was sure Adelaide would pick up on. A witty smile emerged briefly as he resorted to reassurance. "For the life of me, I am unable to wrap my mind around a single reason why would you need to be nervous about what I think, miss Rosier. After all, it would not be the first time you dominate the board and pass with flying colors. Your students, however... I cannot offer any guarantees," he proceeded candidly. "A difficult bunch to entertain. I reckon that taking a step back and wearing their shoes could be beneficial. That being said, there are quite a few eager to prove themselves."

It often seemed counter-intuitive to do so, but Virgil firmly believed that allowing reparable mistakes was an excellent way to teach students more than just emulating the things read from the book. Granted, hardly anything would have made Potions any more interesting if one hated brewing, to begin with. But at the very least, once a pair or two of donkey ears sprouted from a simple Pimple Vanisher, it was guaranteed to keep them occupied.

"If I know you at all, then all of this will be second nature to you. You've impressed me before. What's a bunch of adolescents in comparison?" It was an obvious answer.

An unmesurable challenge.

"The question is, miss Rosier. What kind of professor are you?" Virgil asked casually with a played-out lack of interest when he had plenty. It was a necessary question worth a million galleons. Always easier given than received.

• According to Plan
x
Adelaide Rosier
"Ah, yes. Professor Hildegard, flustered? No, he has an answer for all and everything and that is what flusters me."

Adelaide's response was light and true, matching the sarcasm within her former teacher's voice. It was true that she felt flustered at the thought of having to meet Hildegard in wit, but only because she had never won that battle with him, and if Adelaide hadn't learnt something it was to accept defeat.

But it continued and they moved on, conversing about students instead as Adelaide reckoned herself to have been long enough in the shoes of the students to know. There hadn't been that much time past after all, and once more Adelaide leaned in conspiratorially. "I shall be sure to remember your employs to keep us under control," she whispered back to the professor with a cheeky grimace, one that was rather demure to be truly called cheeky, but that spoke volumes of the humour that graced her since young.

After all, she hadn't forgotten the time that she got tricked into writing two sets of homework, to stop her classmates from copying. It had kept them all busy, and many from passing.

But the last question and his praise, those stilled the female as the newly appointed professor fought off the rather shy smile that was threatening to warm her ears. The same old giddiness she had felt as a young girl whenever she received praise from adults had never quite left, it seemed.

"Can I say professor Hildegard? I would like to be him," came Adelaide's airy answer, a chuckle following. Though, once again she meant every word she said. It was the truth, she wanted to be a professor like Hildegard had been to her. Inspiring and challenging. An enduring role model even after graduation.

"Do you think I will fit his shoes, or do I need a polyjuice potion?" Adelaide threw after in jest, not wanting to seem too awkward. After all, to admire a person for so long felt rather silly, but to admire them in their presence?

But Adelaide had been bold the whole night, so why not persist a little longer now that the hallways were still dark?

• Spicy

Against his conscious judgment, Adelaide's response made the vampire scoff with a grin, if only for the moment before self-consciousness over his feral features halted it. No matter how much more knowledge and confidence he gained through the years, some things were more acceptable for him than others. But there was no doubt that her words resonated with his pride in all the right places. To know that a former student of such caliber still held him in such high regard felt like a significant accomplishment. A reward.

"You may," he nodded. "Not quite the answer I was expecting, miss Rosier, but it is the one that feeds my ego, I admit. Whether it is a good or a bad thing, well, remains to be seen, I suppose." It wouldn't get into his head. It was not in his nature to feed his confidence with the praises of others. However, the glories by some were harder to resist.

She jested further, maintaining the light note to the conversation. A welcome, unexpected refreshment. It perhaps sounded slightly swayed by the insecurity over whether the tone of their discussion was appropriate. Aware of these things as something that plagued his own attempts of simply enjoying the conversation without overthinking, Virgil responded in a way that was just as informal yet respectful.

"Merlin's beard. You could go miles beyond. I would not restrict myself to professor Hildegard's shoes if I were you." Regardless of how overly humble it may have sound, it was an honest answer. "It was far beyond jest when I said that he could truly learn from you himself."

Like everything else he did, the challenges and hardship he used to put her through served their purpose. "For one," he proceeded, recalling her intellectual growth fondly, "you were quite the challenge for him," Virgil smirked, playing along. "Plenty of things you did successfully were given to you so you would fail. But one way or the other, you always found a way to throw it right back at him."

Perhaps more than others, he was fascinated with her wit. Pushing her a step further showed just how much the young witch had to offer. A finding he was proud of but only partially claimed responsibility for. It was all her own doing. All he did was set and reset the bar accordingly.

"So if you ask me, be better. What that entails is only on you to decide. Assistance will not fall through, however. If you ever need any."

He liked to think he knew her well enough to answer that dilemma on his own. She never will. Not because Adelaide was an all-mighty creature, but because she would never ask for any. She was capable of handling the issue independently, and she was perfectly capable of complicating her life by setting goals for herself that others would not dare to consider. Adelaide Rosier never willingly accepted a helping hand. Oh no. On the contrary, every such offer pushed her further into the persistence of resolving the issue on her own. Little Addy took assistance as a challenge, and he would imagine that she has only gotten progressively more stubborn in that sense throughout the years.

Virgil came to understand that faster than others because, in the eyes of a young Ravenclaw, he saw himself and his own need to push headfirst through the issues that would arguably be easier shared. For that reason, Virgil never offered assistance. He simply gave it when and if the time seemed right. Even if it meant waiting for a while and letting her fight it alone. It wasn't as cruel as the eyes of others saw it. It was him believing that she deserved to rely on herself because she had every reason to. None other could lend a hand because none other reached as far.

"I hope the desire for an intellectual adventure did not leave you, miss Rosier. I've been quite lonely in that regard for quite some time, and I am looking forward to sharing."

Last edited:
  • Love
x
Adelaide Rosier
To elicit a grin from Hildegard was something that Adelaide didn't know to be an aim, but to see it form gave her a satisfaction reminiscent to the satisfaction she held in her student times; when she craved for praises and compliments. However, to see it muffled away, hidden and quietened came with a dissatisfaction and a promise from her side that one day he wouldn't feel the need to hide his smile so.

"It is a good thing you've never been known as haughty to me," she responded, her eyes now more trained upon her former lecturer rather than the path they were taking. "Wilful, yes. Reserved, naturally. But never haughty, or arrogant, or overly confident," Adelaide continued, remembering the day that she so confidently and boldly had declared her vote for the new Head of the House and the uproar and reaction it had caused, most of all the reaction that had come from the man himself. It all supported her idea that he could use more confidence, but who didn't in this day and age, other than the fool?

"I hope I may remain a challenge," Adelaide's answer came next, chipper and amused, "I certainly mean to challenge my students now that it is my turn to do so. There was little that inspired me more than your unconventional ways of teaching." The double meaning was entirely lost on her as the female spoke in excitement, her voice growing more hopeful as her eyes were now turned upwards fully to meet that of Hildegard's, that old familiar spark in them whenever she stumbled on yet another interest that she had to delve into. The signs of a true Ravenclaw they said, but to anyone else it was simply; passion.

But the next words that escaped her were probably the most outrageous ones she had spoken so far that night in the hallways; "Let us be best mates in our never ending pursuit of knowledge!" The words came so casually from her side before realising the suggestion she had made as she stilled herself, realising the many boundaries that had been crossed. In all of her own excitement and loneliness in the absence of a kindred soul Adelaide had let herself go, perhaps even disrespecting her most respected role model in the gravest manner of all.

Calming herself down Adelaide felt herself heating up from her neck upwards, her eyes cast down and away as she tried to will herself into focussing on where they were. A chuckle escaped her as she let go of a short breath, "if you will have me for a companion, that is," she added in a quieter tone.

• Love

Miss Rosier's brief assessment of his character was an exciting insight to receive. Towards the figure of authority, even the most vocal students remained reserved in their praise or critics. Knowing her view years after made no difference. It was still as valued and as essential. He liked to think it was mutual respect and understanding that pushed Ravenclaws to show him trust rather than lack of choice.

At that very moment, they were what he needed to hear. Her words still felt encouraging. If there was a single person that Virgil could have trusted to tell him the truth, it was Adelaide. A simple way of knowing that she genuinely spoke of what she meant was her unyielding glare, seeking to imprint every word in her conversational partners. More than once, he had found that many did not appreciate it as much. For him, to be able to hold one's gaze for more than a second while having such conversation felt like a relief. There was no need to assume what hid behind the words mumbled into the floor. It was honest and open. It was comfortable.

Briefly, Virgil lifted his eyebrow, analyzing her words. "Oh, I am sure you will find the way, miss Rosier," he jested. Even though predictable in her unpredictableness, discovering a new ability in a rich opus of Adelaide Rosier never grew old. Even now, the freely expressed enthusiasm that emerged so majestically managed to spark Virgil's curiosity. "Thread carefully, professor," he smirked at her praise of his academic ways. "I will be forced to direct dissatisfied students your way if this praise hits my head. And I can't responsibly claim it will not. It came from you, after all."

He could not hide nor lie about the fact that it felt wonderful. And, perhaps, she felt the same. If her tentative eyes were anything to go by.

For possibly the first time since she had arrived, he was able to see the old Adelaide in a new light. As a youngster, her interests and her drive were admirable and praiseworthy. The interests and drive of Adelaide that looked back at him now were entirely captivating.

"There is something on your mind, professor Rosier," Virgil claimed, studying the woman's bright freckled face. "Worth sharing, I imagine. If your history is anything to go by."

Once more, he was left positively confused by a peculiar request that came from the woman on a whim. Maybe it was a subtle frown of perplexion that snapped her out of her initial excitement as she quickly seemed to be regretting the way it sounded. Or perhaps regretting saying it at all.

Even after his mind successfully processed her words, Virgil remained silent, allowing his colleague to retrieve her composure. He understood her discomfort as much as he disagreed with it. A chuckle he offered in return showed how little he minded.

"Well," he interrupted the brief silence. "If the two of us being the best mates in a never-ending pursuit of knowledge is something that will always bring you such glee, I would be more than happy to indulge you. It is very charming," he concluded.

"A bright young witch offering to share her knowledge with such enthusiasm isn't something to be taken lightly. You could say I am fortunate." The words came out warm and truthful. "I will gladly join you as a companion, miss Rosier."

It was his turn to offer her a reassuring gaze and a metaphorical tap on the back. The least he could do. His promise that she could come to him and ask him anything, even after leaving Hogwarts behind for the first time, remained valid.

"Any tasks on your mind, to begin with, companion?" After a moment of hesitation, the new title was added simply to be tested out on the tongue. Right after, it provoked another soft, light-hearted chuckled out of now very amused professor Hildegard.

• Ah Seen It
x
Adelaide Rosier
Professor Rosier. The title startled her just as much as her outrageous behaviour. And then followed with a repeat of her offer, a tease. It all startled the female as her head shot upwards, meeting the eyes of Hildegard and something of a realisation settled in. She wasn't a student anymore, she didn't stand below him; they were equals. And this time the thought drove home as she felt it hit the air out of her lungs.

'You're a tease,' she wanted to say, her arm slipping away from Hildegard as she tried to process her thoughts and regain her voice. But another thought slipped in and asked her if he really was, or if he was simply going along with what she had set up for herself. After all, she was still that little student he used to have in class. Why should he feel the need to tease her other than for her naivety, which she had displayed plenty of.

The thought of having Hildegard graduate from teacher to friend, or companion as they had named it was a strange one. Hearing it out loud from his lips even more so, but that chuckle and the honest delight that she saw within him, and the way it charmed her as well just as it warmed her.

Once more Adelaide felt a little bold, wondering how much farther she could tread before she would hit a wall with Hildegard. A soft breath escaped through her nose, the chilly night air surrounding them still, but she felt warm as a smile curled up her features.

"Then, as companions," she carefully started, "let's start with Addy, or Adelaide, whichever suits you more," the woman challenged, though she knew that perhaps the biggest hurdle would have to come from herself.

Last edited:
  • Spicy
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

"Adelaide," he repeated, testing the sound against the soft echo bouncing off the castle walls.

"Addy," followed up a bit quieter. It wasn't so out of inconvenience, but because of a realization that things have changed, if only slightly.

'Adelaide' was on already established grounds. Virgil never referred to her directly in such a way, but it was tested out in front of other professors with an informative character. 'Addy' was his comfort zone stretching, but knowing the woman's nature, her comfort zone surely had it worse, and so he didn't dare dwelling on it further.

"I could get used to both," Virgil finally nodded in agreement to her suggestion. "But only if 'Virgil' is comfortable enough for you, Adelaide." Good. It sounded correct, against all of his mental inhibitions. It was the proper way to address her. "I have to admit," he proceeded after a brief pause. "I did not expect you to be as open to such change. You are yet to fail to prove me wrong." He should have known better. If she did not push herself further than what she had already handled, then it was a valid reason for concern. At least it was so in Virgil's book.

"My surprise with your actions should have stopped when you arrived." It creeped out of Virgil's chest along with a sigh of unintentional disappointment. "That. That was the one. The genuinely unexpected." And the genuinely worrying. A worry he kept to himself as he resumed his polite confidence. "But I do have to admit. I am glad you did."

Virgil's experience and stance on the practices of the Ministry of Magic and its sectors, including Aurors, was widely known. He hardly made any effort to hide his disdain other than keeping it within the approved limits of politeness. And it was precisely the same with Adelaide telling him of her ambitions. The feeling of need to prevent it as well as letting it go. And he did. Let it go and, under the pressure of every other task, managed to forget. That is until she came back to remind him.

If it wasn't an absurd thing to come back to, he would have been able to understand the feeling that plagued him for the longest time. A long time ago, a young Ravenclaw broke his heart. Naturally, every other professor whose subject was far away from the calling of Auror could say they felt the same with such an omnicompetent student slipping through their fingers. But for Virgilius, it was different. Personal.

Yes, he was disappointed, but not with her, but with the fact that she quit and went straight back into Hogwarts' protective embrace. It was disappointing to know that not even Adelaide Rosier managed to make a change. It always ended that way, and the only real victims were those leaving their rank scarred. She did not want to talk about them, and maybe she never will. But she didn't have to. He knew well enough.

"Nevertheless, I believe you made a healthy decision to join us." Virgil was a rarely direct person in places where his opinion was not asked for or where his honest opinion wasn't merited, and so he settled for a cryptic expression crowned with a warm smile. It was enough. Everything else he had told her then, years ago. "Perhaps now, I can rekindle your interest in brewing. Let's say... a nice batch of Draught of Peace?" he jested. As the professor of Potions and a wizard so passionate about his chemical craft, he was the first one to admit the obvious: the results were exquisite, but the process could be tedious and, beyond all, incredibly dull.

"If you intend to roam the halls like this every night, perhaps a steady supply of it would ease your daily stress and fatigue. Which I highly recommend."

• Spicy
x
Adelaide Rosier
Old habits are hard to beat, all the more when these habits had become part of an automatic routine in which she had been stuck for over a decade, the memories of Hogwarts forever frozen in mind and never-changing. Professor, or Professor Hildegard, when one needed to be more precise in their address. That was what she had always called the man next to her, and for some reason Adelaide had never thought of the possibility that it might change. Miss, or Miss Rosier for her, with some sneaky make-believes in which she imagined being called something different when she was all grown and professional.

Now she was grown and professional, but the sound of 'Adelaide' followed with a taste of 'Addy' in a quiet whisper startled her. Not in a heart-racing way, or a mind numbing way, neither in a manner that she disliked or despised. It was merely surprising to hear it from Virgilius Hildegard, the one she had looked up to for so long and the one she had never considered to be able to match with. The casual address meant that she had reached that point that she had dreamt of before as a student, the point where she was an adult and professional and, above all, equal.

"V-irgil," Adelaide said, rather resolutely, as if wanting the name to pass her lips already and get it done and over with. The pause that had preceded it had been seconds that dragged on too long, her mind short-circuiting a little as she realised that this was not a dream and she did indeed have this permission to address the man as if they were peers. The realisation that they were sent a warm pride through her chest as she felt herself grow a little shy at the realisation of it all, the young Adelaide that she had been at Hogwarts briefly returning as there was a giddiness bubbling up that was so characteristic for teens.

But if Adelaide believed that her freezing moments would stop there she was dead-wrong, for this was only the start of a slippery slope down her innermost wishes and feelings when 'Virgil' continued to speak, as if the exchange of permission had been the key to a tightly locked box that was jumping to open up already.

"Surprise?" she repeated after him, suddenly feeling a little short of breath as she wondered what it was she anticipated. Adelaide knew she had disappointed a great many with her first career, the laments of her professors clear, that of her parents even starker, and then the reaction of her friends and their worries. It was an absolute standing fact that there had been no single soul who supported her in the decision, even those who stood by her nonetheless.

"I suppose," and here she paused once more, unsure if she was getting ahead of herself, or if these were true words being spoken. They were true enough to her, but that hardly meant anything at all to the reality of another. "I surprised myself as well," she admitted as she threw her eyes up to 'Virgil', her eyes blinking away a few stray emotions that threatened to spill themselves out now that the both of them were suddenly so naked in their thoughts.

But that soon was replaced by a wave of guilt as she realised a fact. A simple fact that to her stood as clear as the fact that the sun will rise. A fact that headmaster Pyre was keeping for her out of his own professionalism. It was the fact that she hadn't shared with anyone in faculty yet, for fear of interference and any possible obstruction to the reality of her presence here.

It was at that moment that Adelaide realised that she was letting herself go too much. She was on the job, at her job even, and the little dalliance she had allowed herself had already broken the one rule she had set for herself before arriving.

"I suppose only time can tell," Adelaide responded, suddenly breathless for another reason as she felt herself erect all of the walls she had let down in their short conversation. "I will have to decline the sleeping potion, but if there is anything else I would gladly assist." The smile that she threw into Hildegard's direction was the plastered smile that every adult learnt to throw around when they meant to keep their distance in a friendly manner. The type that didn't reach the eyes, even if they did crook their eyes, for it lacked that friendly sparkle. An empty type that said nothing as Adelaide stepped away from Hildegard, the air suddenly a lot cooler as the distance increased.

"I shouldn't keep you up for much longer either, goodnight Hildegard." The hasty goodnight wish sounded hollow to her ears, her heart shattering just that tiny bit for cutting short a good and friendly meeting in such an abrupt fashion, but the distance was needed along with good rest. A good rest to clear that head of hers that somehow had been moved by her heart.

• Nice Execution!
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

Cut.jpg

Hildegard nodded. The atmosphere between them changed noticeably, and he did not miss the cue.

"As you wish. My offer is always on the table. If you change your mind." Carefully polished politeness had returned and, with it, his comfort zone. He did not mean to insult, but Adelaide Rosier was familiar to him enough to know that that wasn't the reason she suddenly decided to no longer trust the casual notes in their conversation. Perhaps he had wrongly assessed the situation?

He was pushed back on the safe distance, and he had no place insisting. Instead, he returned Adelaide's meek smirk with his own and drowned it just as quickly. While his expression remained neutral, Virgil could not help but feel somewhat responsible for her sudden desire to run and hide. Even so, he maintained his calm gaze on the young woman's face, studying it for any further signs of struggle, seeing many, but finding an immediate solution to none. Reaching into the interesting mind of miss Rosier was as challenging as ever, but he was no less fascinated and willing to offer a hand may it be needed.

"Very well," Virgil responded, allowing their farewell to flow as distant as she wished it to be. "I bid you goodnight, miss Rosier," he greeted her, waiting for the distance between them to be large enough to move. Conversations between the people always seemed a bit like a dance to him. Some led, and others followed. Learning to recognize the roles, granted, was challenging but helpful. Evidently, Adelaide was the one dictating the tempo and guiding him as far as she saw fit. Because of it, she got to walk away first.

It was a shame. 'Adelaide' sounded better. 'Adelaide' was the one he quickly related to a hint of a bubbly personality she was willing to show him. For a moment, she was genuinely happy, and Virgilius was delighted to see it. 'Miss Rosier' seemed to maintain a construct of rules and regulations that prevented her whole world from potentially caving in by allowing herself to relax. Yes. He quickly and shamelessly came to prefer 'Adelaide' when 'Miss Rosier' was what she really meant. Even with her approval laid bare in front of him just moments ago, he was just as stubborn about sticking to his own conditions - a title for a title.

Clearing his throat, Virgil relaxed his shoulders and placed hands in the pockets of his trousers. It was a peculiar way to catch up, but he got an opportunity to do so, and it made a slight awkwardness of it not at all important. If anything, he genuinely enjoyed the young woman's company.

She'll be fine, he thought as he walked down the empty hallway in silence. She was home.