Dont_Blink and Hikaruchan717

"Father, may I use this time to view the journal for myself before the guests come in?" Eve/Elin asked her father. It bothered her that her voice was different. Elin's voice was always too high for her liking. "I do not like crowds."
Nodding knowingly, Joseph Sophrina, prime minister, said, "Of course dear, but know you only have 8 minutes until these doors open. We are running out of brioche, and the guests are getting anxious. Those androids are too slow..."

Not planning on sticking around, Evangeline entered the 7-digit code for access into the gallery. It was quite big considering that the only thing in the room was the journal. Eve thought it a shame.

Preservists managed to keep the journal intact and in spectacular condition, and it looked almost exactly as it did 300 years ago when she first saw it. Taking out her Ten-Times Pocket Traveling Watch, Eve then placed it on the glass casing surrounding the journal. Security was considerably higher, but the lasers protecting the journal were turned off 10 minutes prior to public viewing. That was in case some malfunctions happened and the lasers wouldn't turn off in time...that infamous Augustine Incident was quite unforgettable. Security cameras were required to get turned off too since when one part of security gets shut down, the whole system goes with it.

Setting the time on the watch to 30 minutes in the future and the location, inside her dual dimension cube, Eve watched as the whole stand was enveloped in a green, hazy light and zapped to her home. In a matter of seconds, the display case came back empty, leaving both the journal and Ten-Times Pocket Traveling Watch at home. Smiling to herself, Eve-Elin placed the copied journal inside the case. Sure it looked exactly the same (DaVinci gave her this in hopes she'd stop stealing his), but the contents were missing some entries. Nobody would know, of course. No one was allowed to touch it or turn its pages.

Evangeline was sure that Gray would managed to steal the journal. But...he didn't have to steal the real one. She would never tell him that he stole the fake...until Eve returned the real journal to the museum curator. She'll still be in Elin form so that her identity isn't exposed, but the face that Dakota'll wear will be priceless. Eve was practically jumping out of anticipation for that day to come.

Turning on her heels, Eve walked out of the gallery with a little skip in her step, failing to notice the slight whirring sound coming from the corner of the room.

Dakota slipped in and out of conversations, each time making himself a few steps closer to the gallery doors. As he approached, he spotted a short and blond young women, sneaking back into the foyer from his destination. He smiled. The prime minister's youngest daughter, well to some she was his only daughter, making her way through the refined drunken guests.
"Elin? Well, I didn't expect to see you here tonight." he smiled at her. If he could charm the girl, it meant easy access into the gallery.
The girl was silent for a moment before she spoke,"Dakota, how nice to see you. Yes, I was just admiring the journal..."
He took a short stride towards her, that grin still on his face, though now it was for a different reason entirely. "I hadn't realized you took such an interest in DaVinci...?"
The Elin he had met countless occasions hadn't much interest in anything older than this century.
"He is perhaps one of the greatest one of the greatest thinkers in history, no?"
Dakota chuckled, he had her there, didn't he. He leaned in, speaking a whisper to her ear, "My dear Evangeline, when one is making an impersonation, however misguiding the disguise, they should really do your research. Elin is quite a bit more flirtatious."

Elin-Eve frowned a bit. She had forgotten to get in character with her sister, but she always had a way out of it. Their father never called Evangeline "Evangeline." It was always "Eve" or "Evelyn," their past mother's name. Joseph always saw a great likeness between his departed wife and his eldest daughter, so he would call her Evelyn in a vain attempt to hang onto her memory. It both saddened and disgusted Eve.

"Ev...Evangeline?" Eve said in that obnoxious high voice, perfectly imitating her sister. "Who in the world is that? And do not say that I am flirtations Mr. Gray. I have been betrothed to a fine man, and do not take any sort of...interest...in you...now?"

She trailed off the last part, sounding like a confused girl, trying to pick out which man she desired more. It was true, Elin Sophrina had been recently set up with the son of the curator, James Aime, whom she was childhood friends with. They were as close as twins are, and Elin had seemed to fall in love with him, especially within these past few days. It would be normal for her to have certain unwanted feelings if another man of interest would come and intervene. She had the most obvious crush on Gray, but was unwilling to admit it.

Just as she mentioned her engagement, James himself caught sight of his beloved and approached the two. Tipping his hat to Dakota in acknowledgement, James said, "I am glad to see you two getting along on good terms, but please, Gray. Do not approach my fiance in such a familiar way. We need to keep your integrity in tact, don't we dear?"

He placed a hand on Eve's shoulder and squeezed it once briefly then three times, then an extended one, then another short squeeze. Eve had managed to keep her face impassive, but inside she was quite surprised. The squeezes were so small and unnoticeable that if it were Elin, she never would have noticed the meaning behind it. She reached for his hand and gripped it once in a prolonged fashion, one short, two long, one short, three short while saying simultaneously, "Of course James. Of course."

"Well then, we need to great the other guests, so if you may excuse us please," he bowed slightly in Gray's direction then took off, almost dragging Eve behind him. Looking back, Elin winked at Dakota and turned around, going along with James.

He shook his head, the corner of his mouth upturned slightly. Nothing that had occured made him doubt that it was indeed Eve, after all, he knew Elin, more importantly he knew Eve.
Though it was unsettling somehow to see James hold her in regard-
What was he saying? It was redunant, right now his goal was that DaVinci. Dakota slid through the small gap between the slightly open door into the gallery.

"What the hell are you doing here Eve?" James questioned, Eve's perceptive mind picking up on the slightly angered edge to his voice. He shook his friend a little bit and sighed when she didn't answer immediately.
"Fine. Don't tell me," he scoffed, leaning against the glass window overlooking the university's vast gardens. Looking out almost wistfully, James' eyes softened and without looking back at Eve he commented, "I remember when we used to play here as children. You and I would ditch Elin who would throw a fit once she found out we were hiding in the upper branches in the willow by the pond eating cakes as if nothing happened."
Eve felt a smile coming on, but stopped it halfway.
"And then she would fail to climb up and ended up crying on the ground," she thought out loud, remembering the far years back. "Of course, you being the oldest would calm her down. She would be fine once you hugged her close. Dearest Elin always harbored this little crush on you, James."
Not knowing why, Eve said the last sentence bitterly, her lips now forming a slight grimace. It disgusted her how Elin would go all the way to place herself in danger or throw unnecessary tantrums just to get some boy's attention.

"I never felt the same you know," James said idly, still staring out at the darkened sky. Eve was unable to read deeper into his impassive face. James was always the best at hiding his emotions, and it really irked Eve. She wanted to know what went on inside his head, but he managed to put up this barrier, not allowing anyone inside. Not even his betrothed.

"Then why are you going marry her?" Eve asked. She could see it in her mind, the white dress, the achingly high heels, a long veil beaded with pearls and other gems trailing behind her sister. Elin would walk down the isle and smile at James. He would smile back. It would be a joyous day. Evangeline turned away, the sight repulsed her. It made her want to find her sister, still probably sprawled out on the roses, and punch her in the face. And she would laugh. She would laugh mirthlessly upon seeing Elin's mortified face.

Just then, James reached out touched Eve's hand, and she felt a whole new sight infect her brain. Instead of her sister, Eve was the one there beside James. She stole Elin's smile and wore it herself, laughing at something James whispered in her ear. Is this what James wanted? Is this what he felt? Is this what...is this what Eve wanted?

Deciding no, Eve jerked back her hand and took a couple hesitant steps back. It was too much to bear. A mixture of elation and dread filled the pit in her stomach, and she couldn't decide which one was stronger than the other.

"Eve...no Evangeline..." James began to say, reaching out again to touch her.

"Maybe," she whispered softly.

"What?"

"Maybe she would have been happy."

"She?"

"But I have changed. I am not the girl in your memories anymore."

"Eve..."

"Sorry."

And with that, she strode away and reverted back to her usual self, scarlet hair now fanning out behind her. She slammed the door opened to the room with the journal, walked up straight to Dakota, and slapped him on the face. How satisfying that felt.