Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Horror, Dark Fantasy, Modern
CLOSED. NO LONGER LOOKING FOR PLAYERS.
FONT1FONT2

don't go in the woods
My Secret Friend - IAMX, Imogen Heap
The small and secluded town of Grimsby has many secrets.

Such as, there seems to be no end to their wealth and no discernible limit to their resources.

Such as, if you ask a local how Grimsby not only survives in isolation but thrives in it, they would simply point to the Factory that stands amidst the dense forest. A factory that seems forever in disuse, exhibiting signs of neither life nor smoke.

Such as, a staggering majority of the town's population have lived here their entire lives and know very little about the world outside. As if Grimsby is immune to anything that happens to society at large. As if society remains largely unaware of Grimsby.

Or even that the town is governed by the so-called Founding Families, who sit upon their blood-stained coffers behind tall, iron-wrought gates. Hardly ever seen in public, operating upon obscure laws.

Speaking of laws, Grimsby has some odd unspoken rules: don't ask questions, turn a blind eye to the creatures amidst the trees, turn a deaf ear to the screaming, and finally--but most importantly--do not go in the woods. No one has ever broken these rules before.

If they did, they didn't live to tell the tale.

And the last secret pertains to the fact that, for some inexplicable reason, Grimsworth school has begun granting partial scholarships to the 'gifted'--whatever that means--making itself known to the outside world for the first time. All eyes point to Grimsby. And the tension grows palpable. After all, the town does not take kindly to outsiders; it has enough of them as it is. Who exactly had possessed those that run the school?

Now, newcomers from various parts of the country are flocking to Grimsby like a murder of crows to a carcass, lured not only by the school, but also by a mystical energy that pulses in the town. The strangeness of Grimsby will not go unnoticed for much longer. There will be sightings, rumors of things lurking in the shadows.

For the first time, the unspoken rule must be uttered:

Do not go in the woods.

But as with any rule, it's only a matter of time before it is broken.

I.
Growing Tensions
There is increasing animosity between the locals of Grimsby and the outsiders. The social hierarchy at Grimsworth, especially, would not take kindly to these charity students. They are effectively at the bottom of the food chain, while the children of the Founding Families and their friends are at the very top of it.

II.
The Orphans
They woke up in the forest one day, not too long ago, with no memory of a time before that. They are imperfect creations with an unknown purpose. All they have to go on is that voice in their head that coaxes them into doing terrible things.

Steal. Kill. Take them to the woods.

Is this the devil who whispers? Try as they might to ignore it, it grows ever restless.

III.
The Labyrinth
The students of Grimsworth have been experiencing the same recurring dream. It is of an endless labyrinth--dark, damp passageways, endless staircases, secret doors to secret rooms. In these dreams, they are looking for something, yet they don't exactly know what they are meant to find.

IV.
The Gargoyles
Grimsworth seems to be fond of its gargoyles, as there are many of them littered about on campus. Some people say that they can feel the gargoyles watching them, especially during the night. Others say they could catch them moving sometimes.

But is there any truth to the rumors?

V.
Abernathy Hall
They say Abernathy Hall is accursed. In fact, the building was abandoned up until recently. Since the arrival of the new students, more housing needed to be arranged, and so Abernathy Hall was reopened.

Students are once again telling the tale of the Woman in White, who is said to haunt Abernathy Hall.

VI.
The Quiet Kid
Avery was the brash, loud-spoken problem child of one of the Founding Families. At least he used to be, until he went mute several years ago for unknown reasons.

His friends and family have been tight-lipped about his muteness, so much so that it is speculated that maybe they had something to do with it.

VI.
Grimwood Forest
There was once a young boy who had nothing to his name but his dreams. One Sunday afternoon, while his parents were unaware, he slipped out the door of their shanty house to go on an adventure. By night, he had lost his way and travelled far enough to reach a dense forest. It was there that he saw things that, up until then, had only existed in his head.

This was better than a child's vivid imagination. This felt real.

Ever since, he would go back to the forest, yearning for more. This continued up until he grew old. Then one day, he entered the forest for the last time...

…And never came out again.

Last edited:
This does seem interesting!

• Thank You
Reactions: Ardent
Very interested in this!

gimme! My character is nearly complete BTW

Ooooo I love! Count me in!

What kind of characters are needed exactly

What kind of characters are needed exactly
Join our discord! There is a little more info there not a lot but there is some

@Camleen and everyone else

So the story is set in the 80s and would primarily take place at Grimsworth Boarding School and the surrounding forest. The cast should primarily consist of students. The students could belong to any of the following categories:

The Heirs/Heiresses of the Founding Families
They are essentially school royalty. After all, their parents practically run the place. They are a very close-knit group, wary of anyone that isn't them.

These people would have known each other their entire lives and would have a trauma bond-esque type of relationship with each other.

This role would have limited spots since I expect it would be coveted.

The Outsiders
New students who may have started school very recently or as far back as 5-10 years ago (they would still be considered an outsider by the locals and would probably be snubbed).

They may or may not be on partial scholarships and some of them probably even received a letter from the Headmaster himself. They are the ones having these dreams of an endless labyrinth.

This is also the most flexible of all the other roles because their history would not be affected by the lore. That's not to say I don't have anything exciting planned for them, though! The most I can say is... most of them were specifically chosen for something though they don't know that yet.

The Orphans
(See original post)
This would also likely be a coveted role, so spots would be limited (maybe just 2-3 characters)

---

The locals (apart from the Founding Families) and their children are off-limits because narrative reasons.

If you're making an Orphan/F.F. character, don't worry about history/biography for now. Just focus on personality. And if your character get accepted, I'll fill you in on the necessary details to help flesh out their backstory. I'm doing this because I want some things to remain a mystery for others who will not be playing these characters.

Last edited:
Interested. 👀

I am interested if there is still room! ^^

Interested as well.

Is this still accepting?

havent been on iwaku in years..
absolutely ecstatic to come back this < 3

6240Qpm.gif

Actually, we already have so many that joined the server. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, as much as I want everyone to get involved.

Thanks for your interest, everyone. I really did not expect this amount of interest. If a spot opens up, I'll be sure to post an advertisement here again.

Status
Not open for further replies.