Dogs Versus Cats

Who wins, realistically speaking?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt has a dog (had two before) and has gone through 2 cats, and now has 2 again. The dogs have always been wonderful. The cats have never been anywhere near wonderful.
If it's the owners fault, explain the well-behaved dogs. She is far from neglectful or inexperienced with training animals.

The thing with these cats is that even though they were trained and kept indoors, subjected to near-constant human presence, they still turned out to be nasty assholes. It had nothing to do with their raising, which seems to be the case for, once again, 90% of cats I encounter.
How do you behave around these cats, though? Like, does your Aunt say that they're nice cats? Cats are very intuitive and can pick up on your 'vibes' so to speak. If you dislike/hate cats, and act accordingly around them, they'll pick up on it. I've met a lot of cats in my day and only one or two have been assholes (because yes, just like dogs, sometimes they are just assholes!). Like, if you dislike them, they will know it, and they won't be too kind to you either.

And now to tell my opinion on the dog vs cats thing..

I grew up with a cat of course i will choose a cat naturally but doesn't mean i go shitting on dogs however.

The thing is with dogs that they're BRED to be nice, loyal and protective of their owners. They were bred to be on our side when we need them and protect us with their lives if they have to and be easy to train. But the problem is if you want a good nice canine companion, you have to try them to not shit all over the place or chew up everything or murder your children, and a lot of people are too lazy or can't bother doing that.

Cats however were not bred to be on our side, guard and protect us with their lives instead they just well live with us, they can be trained obviously but they're much more independent than dogs and basically do what they want. Not to mention they're a lot more lower maintenance than dogs, you don't need to bathe them unless they have flea's/ticks or they someone ended up being covered in mud. You don't need to train them to not take a shit on the carpet, instead just put a litter box nearby and they get the hint well most of the time. And they have lesser health problems than dogs, a corgi would have back problems presumingly but bambino's usually don't.

In general, cat's and dogs are completely two separate species and used for different purposes so i think we should stop fucking comparing them and having a arguement over which is better because it's just a matter of personal preference, Period.

That is not the cats fault, that is the owners fault. My aunt and uncle had a cat that was only sociable with them. It attacked everyone else. That's not the cat's fault, that is how they were raised. Dogs are the exact same way. If you don't properly socialize a dog as a puppy, it will bite and attack everyone that it meets as well. It pisses me of when people blame animals for things. Yes, if an animal has been properly socialized and treated properly and it's still an asshole, that is the animal. But if the owner neglects the animal, that is not the animal's fault, that is the owners fault.

I agree with this in general, but I do find that even with cats I've owned that they definitely don't take to raising and training like dogs do. My parents' cats are the most aloof, disinterested and boring creatures imaginable that you're lucky to see, let alone interact with, while the one before always spent time with the family and was always super affectionate.

Meanwhile, absolutely every dog we raised (I am going on 7 now) has been largely obedient and very well socialized, although some didn't like other dogs, they were always great with people.

How do you behave around these cats, though? Like, does your Aunt say that they're nice cats? Cats are very intuitive and can pick up on your 'vibes' so to speak. If you dislike/hate cats, and act accordingly around them, they'll pick up on it. I've met a lot of cats in my day and only one or two have been assholes (because yes, just like dogs, sometimes they are just assholes!). Like, if you dislike them, they will know it, and they won't be too kind to you either.

Except I don't hate cats as a whole. I love any sort of pet that acts friendly. My best friend has a wonderful cat named Tenshi who is thus far one of two cats I've ever met who are friendly. I always jump at the chance to snuggle with Tenshi, and he's fine with it. My aunt's cats however hiss upon approach, run away, or are never even seen throughout the day because they hide from everyone. If they weren't so skittish and anti-social, I'd be playing with them sure as sure.

I just find that cats are way more often nasty than nice, as opposed to dogs, which are way more often nice than nasty.

And now to tell my opinion on the dog vs cats thing..

I grew up with a cat of course i will choose a cat naturally but doesn't mean i go shitting on dogs however.

The thing is with dogs that they're BRED to be nice, loyal and protective of their owners. They were bred to be on our side when we need them and protect us with their lives if they have to and be easy to train. But the problem is if you want a good nice canine companion, you have to try them to not shit all over the place or chew up everything or murder your children, and a lot of people are too lazy or can't bother doing that.

Cats however were not bred to be on our side, guard and protect us with their lives instead they just well live with us, they can be trained obviously but they're much more independent than dogs and basically do what they want. Not to mention they're a lot more lower maintenance than dogs, you don't need to bathe them unless they have flea's/ticks or they someone ended up being covered in mud. You don't need to train them to not take a shit on the carpet, instead just put a litter box nearby and they get the hint well most of the time. And they have lesser health problems than dogs, a corgi would have back problems presumingly but bambino's usually don't.

In general, cat's and dogs are completely two separate species and used for different purposes so i think we should stop fucking comparing them and having a arguement over which is better because it's just a matter of personal preference, Period.

My current 3 month old puppy was ridiculously easy to house and crate train. He hasn't has an accident in 2 weeks, he sleeps all night, and he only chews on his toys now. It's not always this nice or easy, and trust me I've had some willful dogs, but as long as you listen to your dog and take the time to show them where they are allowed to do things and what's for them, they pick on pretty quick. But it's like you said, a lot of people get dogs not willing to invest the time in it like they would a baby. A few months of minor inconvenience results in a lifetime of a good companion with simple needs.

My current 3 month old puppy was ridiculously easy to house and crate train. He hasn't has an accident in 2 weeks, he sleeps all night, and he only chews on his toys now. It's not always this nice or easy, and trust me I've had some willful dogs, but as long as you listen to your dog and take the time to show them where they are allowed to do things and what's for them, they pick on pretty quick. But it's like you said, a lot of people get dogs not willing to invest the time in it like they would a baby. A few months of minor inconvenience results in a lifetime of a good companion with simple needs.

It's also depends on the dog breed as well. I've heard pitbulls are actually easy to train but not recommend for first time owners.

What's your puppy's breed by the way?

It's also depends on the dog breed as well. I've heard pitbulls are actually easy to train but not recommend for first time owners.

What's your puppy's breed by the way?

This is very true, the toughest ones I've had to raise were Alaskan Malamutes and a border collie. The two poodle terrier crosses were supremely easy in comparison, much less willful.

My puppy is a Maremma sheepdog/ rottweiler mix. I have never met a better tempered puppy, it's absolutely astounding.

I've only met maybe two cats in my life that were assholes so to speak.
One, we were looking after for a short while, who apparently had a bad temper, I wasn't alloved to be with him much.
The other, he belongs to my sister, my sis is a certified dog trainer and she has a good control of several dogs at the time. Now, the cat, according to her is a sick-in-the-head bastard, and yes, I'll admit that the cat has some issues. Still, his issue is overstimulation, he bites when he's got enough of cuddles. Otherwise he's fairly okay cat, I was catsitting for a week with him having a "hotel stay" in my room and he didn't trash my room, he didn't ruin my stuff and the only time he ever was trouble was when his feeding schedule was off. That time he did bite me and I'm not gonna say it was easily forgivable, but I feel his biting is a learned miscommunication, not just assholery.

Just because someone can perfectly train a dog doesn't mean they can raise a cat and vice versa.
I'm a cat person, dogs bring me mostly discomfort and I would never claim to know how to perfectly raise a dog just because I know cats. Their needs are different, their languages are different, how they best can be raised are different and their basic role in history is different.
Dogs were tamed to be used, cats just came along and feasted on the mice our granaries helped gather.

• Thank You
Reactions: Koschei
I'd prefer cats but my family has about five dogs at home, so... And I'm asthmatic. Fur and me generally don't mix well.

I'm worried about one dog though. My brother's dog. He's a husky, and I know they need lots of exercise but my brother never lets him out nowadays. He's always in this cage and he seems so miserable looking at the other dogs playing about. They used to let him out at night, I don't know what changed. I somewhat feel like I have to do something, but I'm a little scared of him now since he jumped on our maid and she got a cut on her arm. She had to get a rabies shot, and the dog has now been given one as well but still.

Big teeth. Hyperactive dog.

@Brovo you do know if you spend a few paragraphs talking about how much better dogs are than cats and how cat's don't love their owners like dogs and aren't intelligent like dogs, adding one sentence talking positive about cats doesn't make your other points go away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't need to. Happens naturally with humanity. It is a sad state called 'Fuck your thoughts, mine are better'
It's a matter of site rules, not human nature. One of the rules of General Chatting is that if the thread doesn't have the Debate prefix, then don't debate in it. :P

site rules
Which is why it confuses me when people post "Well x is better than y because of z." or put down what they don't like and not understand when people get upset. That's why I always try and be like "I prefer x myself because of reasons" and not mention the other thing at all.

As a general rule in our plebian debates, whoever shouts the loudest wins. Which is why most text-based debates rarely get anywhere.

I like to debate how I play Monopoly. Serious and carefully thought out for a few hours then, right before I have to mortgage my last property, I flip the board over and win by default.

Which is why it confuses me when people post "Well x is better than y because of z." or put down what they don't like and not understand when people get upset. That's why I always try and be like "I prefer x myself because of reasons" and not mention the other thing at all.
It's because people naturally tend to formulate their opinions in the format of "my preference is objectively better than all other preferences," because that's just how our brains are wired. Not doing that takes a conscious effort, and most people don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.