Does it bother you when people look for gender specific partners?

Does it bother you when people look for gender specific partners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And here I thought the Ferret Man died. It seems you just changed your avatar.
Ferrets don't die. They just go beyond the rainbow bridge with all the other ferrets. Where they play forever, and have an infinite number of socks to steal. I rotate through themes, you'll probably see the ferret theme stuff again one day. :ferret:

Ferrets don't die. They just go beyond the rainbow bridge with all the other ferrets. Where they play forever, and have an infinite number of socks to steal. I rotate through themes, you'll probably see the ferret theme stuff again one day. :ferret:
Hope so, made going in the general chat threads worthwhile.

Honestly, if the RP is 1x1 or invite-only, I see no problem with preferring certain kinds of players. If I'm roleplaying F/F, I steer clear of men I don't know because sometimes they have no earthly clue how actual lesbian relationships work and just want to get to the high-speed boob collisions (that's how they show affection, right?). But as soon as someone joins an open RP and isn't willing to interact with a chunk of the PCs, it can be a bad experience for everybody.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I admit I find it weird from the point of view of a GM. By sheer necessity you're going to be writing up people of both genders to populate your world with NPC's. Heck if the world is large enough, you'll probably need to throw in different sexuality too, or ethnicity, or whatever else floats your boat. So, the idea of telling someone "you can't write with me because you possess a vagina and/or a penis" is bizarre to me. It's genuinely alien. I cannot fathom limiting one's own imagination and number of partners in such a way. The only reasoning I can even feasibly come up with is that the person doing it, at some level, cannot separate the character from the author in some way. What should it matter if the author is in possession of sexual organs opposite those of the character which they are playing? Only the character's sexual organs should matter to you, and only to the extent of what sexuality your own character possesses if you are pursuing such a relationship as that. If you find yourself repulsed by the idea of a male playing as a female or a female playing as a male, you are demonstrating an inability to separate an author from their character. Hell, and this may even be an unpopular opinion, and I don't mean to offend anyone by saying it, but...

It's kind of sexist and extremely childish. Like, on a disturbing level, that even I find morally questionable. Either you have a severe inability to differentiate reality from fiction, which is, uh, you know, really bad for your mental state of affairs, or you genuinely are disgusted by the idea of a male playing as a female, or a female playing as a male... Which is sexist as shit. Like...

A. You never grew out of elementary school, and are still disquieted by the mere existence of the penis and/or vagina.
B. You have a mental disorder, because you cannot differentiate a character from their author, and thus you are at some level always imaging the author instead of their character, as though they're interchangeable entities.
C. You are a sexist, because you are sincerely upset or disturbed by the idea of writing all, some, or certain scenes with another person, based solely on their gender... Which is the very definition of discrimination by sex. Assuming it's not because you find a childish discomfort with it, the only other conclusion is that you are genuinely repulsed by them... Which is profoundly sexist.

Like, there's nothing wrong with having character gender or sexuality preferences. Are you a heterosexual female? I totally get then why your own personal tastes would involve male on female or male on male pairings then. If you are however referring to the gender of the author, the only reason I can conceive of is because you cannot disassociate the author from their work, which is profoundly wrong in some way. It shouldn't matter.

I mean, for those who feel this way, now is your chance to tell me why. Tell me that I'm wrong. Tell me that it's not because the other gender genuinely disgusts you, or because you don't have some inability to differentiate author from character. Correct me. Educate me. I admit being completely baffled as to why this is even a thing, it's entirely alien to me, so please teach me.
I know there have been responses from other people and Brovo responding to those responses, but I'm going to start at the core of the argument here and put the other stuff to the side for a moment.

I am of the opinion that the gender of the author in question does matter regardless of the gender of the character they are writing about in question. There are some people who are fine with this and can move beyond it in the name of the story, and then there are those who cannot, this will be a short Apology piece in defense of the latter and the inherent challenges that come about in regards to this problem. Please note that these challenges are also prevalent for the former group as well as the latter. They just happen to be able to move beyond it either by having a mindset where it doesn't bother them or by necessity (like a GM as Brovo mentioned).

The idea in part B of Brovo's argument that this is a sign of mental instability is too heavy handed. It is true that those who cannot distinguish reality and fantasy should really seek professional help, but that's not exactly the demographic in question and I sincerely believe that the majority who feel uncomfortable doing romance scenes with their co-author being a certain gender are not mentally ill. But it is difficult to pinpoint why this is without sounding like we lack the ability to separate fiction and reality, or that we are simply bitter, anti-social people who cannot move beyond simple sexual aspects of life.

The truth is that as much as we might tell ourselves differently, there can never be a true split between an author and their creation. There is always an aspect of an Author's personality, character, philosophy or maybe perhaps even "soul" (if we are willing to get metaphysical) that is etched into a fictional character. Even if we write characters who are the complete opposites of our true selves, who do horrible things with absolute glee, there is something about them that comes from the author and that prime link can be denied but never severed, and thank God for it, else we'd probably turn into a bunch of computers churning out mindless drivel with no sense of feeling or love for the work we have created. It's why over a period of thousands of years people can write a story about a knight who saves a Princess and can still be original; because it contains the unique traits of that one author that can never be 100% replicated.

Once we have finally accepted this link it becomes far more clear why the romance question can be troublesome. If there are two men who do a romance scene with one female and one male, as much as we try to deny it there is a sexual aspect between the two male authors because that prime link connects them to their creations. It is an aspect of themselves, even though it is a highly fractured and diluted one. Assuming these two men are both heterosexual, one can understand how this would make one uncomfortable as it is indirectly going against their sexual orientation and attractions, which naturally makes people uncomfortable. Some people can move beyond this, and others cannot. The best analogy I can come up with is two Lesbians being hit on by the same attractive man; one can take the compliment and politely reject him with no issue and the other is visibly uncomfortable at the situation. The latter is obviously at a disadvantage but neither is "wrong" and I certainly wouldn't argue that they are sexist (insert all lesbians hate men joke)

And this is all just assuming that everything goes to black right before they start fucking. Apply this same theory to smut writing and it becomes even more uncomfortable and is my personal limit. Though I refrain from writing smut in the first place, but if I did I would want my partner to be a female since it would make me more comfortable (and plus I wouldn't have to worry about a guy writing about "bags of sand" and shit).

The rebuttal to this is that now this is a sexual link between two authors, which would almost certainly be interpreted as problematic. And my response? Yeah, you're right. The prime link between the author and the character causes these issues when interacting with another character. If someone argued that all that smut writing is just indirect cyber-sex I wouldn't exactly think they're wrong. My resolution would be to simply acknowledge the sexual link (whether you're just romancing or writing smut it's still there), show restraint where needed, get the scene written and have fun writing (not that kind of fun).

tl;dr version: Slade didn't actually shitpost

I think it boils down to whether you're roleplaying AS a character, or writing a story with input from another person. If you're doing the latter, naturally it doesn't matter what bits your co-author has. If you're doing the former, it matters because then it's getting personal.

Me, I'm in the latter category. My personal feelings about my partners only come into play as much as they would with any kind of collaborative project. I just wanna write the stuff I want to write with people who entertain me and like writing the same stuff.

Ahem.

No one in Gen Chat was hating on you.

You made a comment to another user in regards to your preference about playing with female players in regards to sex role plays. She replied with that makes her uncomfortable and when you questioned why, I and another user gave you a non-hostile reply.

People who usually (not all) request specific genders of a writer are usually writing for sex and not for the story. It can also come off as discriminating towards other writers.

For whatever reason, you felt that was hating on you? And made it bigger than what it was. I got bored of the 5 minute convo and began talking about TV.

I am more than happy to retrieve logs in case you still want to tell everyone how we were hating and discriminating against you. If anything, you reacted poorly and childish. Rather than saying oh okay, sorry I hope one day we can roleplay tho even if it's not libertine! You legit got a hissy fit over nothing and confused the hell out of me when you started ranting.

I am still confused as to what made you feel that way but.../kanye shrug

(i was waiting for this topic. /knowsall)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more than happy to retrieve logs in case you still want to tell everyone how we were hating and discriminating against you. If anything, you reacted poorly and childish. Rather than saying oh okay, sorry I hope one day we can roleplay tho even if it's not libertine! You legit got a hissy fit over nothing and confused the hell out of me when you started ranting.

4YS0NoU.gif

Might have been better to just keep this private and involve a moderator privately...

Reactions: Mid
4YS0NoU.gif

Might have been better to just keep this private and involve a moderator privately...

/shoves Bravo in a closet.

It is not my intention to come off harsh. I want to make it clear that I don't care how he role plays, nor was I having a personal issue with his preference. However when you start a thread with "I was in gen chat and had people hating on me for my preference" and see multiple people saying "ppl shouldnt be hating on you for what you like," it's going to annoy me because it's giving gen chat a bad reputation and I was a part of that conversation, so it is also on me as a frequent user.

I don't care who roleplays with who. It doesn't effect me directly but he seemed to feel he was being attacked and I want him to understand he was in no way being attacked for his personal preference along with the other users who are seeing one side.

/draws a line

I prefer to do the male x female RPs with a male on the other side for the male character, but I've also done a few with a female playing the male role... for me as long as the person does a great job of it then I don't care too much about the gender of the other rper.

But I can understand those who might feel uncomfortable in certain circumstances, though I do not feel that was myself (yet).

Reactions: LunaValentine
@Mid

Frankly, I honestly didn't even realize he was talking about Gen Chat specifically until you made a point about it.

This sort of thing would have been more appropriate to handle via private message. And that should be the end of it in this thread as far as all parties are concerned, please and thank you. @Omega Black @Brovo @ Anyone else who feels inclined to chime in

If anyone has a problem that needs Staff mediation, guess whose Inbox is available! :U

Ahem.

No one in Gen Chat was hating on you.

You made a comment to another user in regards to your preference about playing with female players in regards to sex role plays. She replied with that makes her uncomfortable and when you questioned why, I and another user gave you a non-hostile reply.

People who usually (not all) request specific genders of a writer are usually writing for sex and not for the story. It can also come off as discriminating towards other writers.

For whatever reason, you felt that was hating on you? And made it bigger than what it was. I got bored of the 5 minute convo and began talking about TV.

I am still confused as to what made you feel that way but.../kanye shrug

You and I may translate being hated on in different ways. In my eyes, I saw my personal preference being called sexist and discriminatory and there was nobody other than myself trying to defend my preferences. The small group of people in gen chat fueled the fire that made me post this thread. If my preferences are being offended, well so am I, because my preference as a writer is a part of me.

Most adults have jobs where they can work off all their extra energy. And while I am still very actively looking for a job, it's not exactly easy for a person in my predicament, thus I turn to my Roleplaying as my medium of releasing my energy. So when my personal preference is attacked as violently as it was, I get offended, and yes angry.
If anyone has a problem that needs Staff mediation, guess whose Inbox is available! :U
I appreciate it but I don't see why this has to be moderated by a staff member. The issue over Gen chat is done. I learned my lesson not to try finding rp partners there. However, this poll is important, and I'd like to keep it going for the remainder of the 7 days that it remains active. After that, I will personally have this thread archived.

You and I may translate being hated on in different ways. In my eyes, I saw my personal preference being called sexist and discriminatory and there was nobody other than myself trying to defend my preferences. The small group of people in gen chat fueled the fire that made me post this thread. If my preferences are being offended, well so am I, because my preference as a writer is a part of me.

Most adults have jobs where they can work off all their extra energy. And while I am still very actively looking for a job, it's not exactly easy for a person in my predicament, thus I turn to my Roleplaying as my medium of releasing my energy. So when my personal preference is attacked as violently as it was, I get offended, and yes angry.

I appreciate it but I don't see why this has to be moderated by a staff member. The issue over Gen chat is done. I learned my lesson not to try finding rp partners there. However, this poll is important, and I'd like to keep it going for the remainder of the 7 days that it remains active. After that, I will personally have this thread archived.

No one violently attacked you, guy. No one said "you are sexist and discriminating." All we said was some people can consider it for x to y and you misread it and took it as we were attacking you, if anything you took it left and got hostile. When I saw the conversation was getting too much for you, I changed it.

So I am still...confused?

Guys, take it to PMs before the thread gets locked.
What for? I'm not hostile towards Mid. I'm defending myself I'm not doing anything wrong.

Reactions: Mid
Status
Not open for further replies.