Does anyone even bother reading Roleplayer Profiles?

ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ

Melancholia Personified
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. Multiple posts per week
  6. 1-3 posts per week
  7. One post per week
  8. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Whenever my boss decides to let me go home. (Usually between 5-11 EST)
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
  3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Futuristic, Paranormal, Fantasy, Medieval, Romance, Horror, pretty much everything.
I'm just curious, because I've started a few roleplays lately, and in my resume it states that I am an Advanced+ roleplayer. I also state in my information section that I post between 4-30 paragraphs, depending on the roleplay and my partner.

Yet, I type up a first post that's relatively small for me, and people get scared off. Some people simply just don't respond, while other's straight out tell me 'I can't write that much'.

Usually, before I accept a partner, I check their post history to see if we are compatible. Most of the time it looks as if we are, but then when it comes time to posting I'm usually staring at my screen wondering what happened.

I'm one of those strange types of roleplayers that doesn't like characters interacting straight away. I like to get into character personality, history, and lay out the scene for the first few posts before characters interact. Is that why there's so many problems? Or is it because no one bothers reading my profile and then gets scared off by what they assume is a huge wall of text without even reading the contents?

I always read a roleplayer's resume and if possible, a few roleplays they've done before understanding for sure whether we are compatible or not.

I believe a better question is "Are roleplayers even trying anymore?"

Bare with me now; I've been roleplaying for a fairly modest amount of time (at least compared to people that can boast having roleplayed for 5-10 years and what have you), and yet I can tell you all kinds of stories about unbelievable stupidity in roleplaying.

I once took a quick gander at a roleplay set in a magic-less medieval fantasy setting where one person proceeded to post some nonsense about being a demon-angel slaughtering people with, of course, magic. Now, had this person read the OP of the thread or at least been familiar with the piece of fiction the RP was based off of (which was again abundantly apparent from the title of the RP and the OP itself), they would've been able to avoid being thoroughly antagonized in the OoC thread after having posted. Yet at the same time, this person actually made it perfectly clear in their character sheet that they were some magical angel-demon hybrid creature, and the people in charge didn't catch onto it. So in a nutshell, both parties demonstrated a complete lack of reading comprehension....or they just didn't care enough to double check their actions.

Another example; a GM in an RP I actively took part in began to complain about the lack of activity from a certain user in the RP. Everyone else in the RP proceeded to tell him that person had already posted, with at least one of them offering a direct link to the post that he needed to see. He didn't pay a lick of attention and continued to complain for a day or two until he heard it from the horse's mouth. Even if it's reasonable to sometimes miss a post being made, it's ridiculous to not even read messages aimed at you when you're demanding some kind of activity.

My point is that the amount of people that roleplay without making a basic effort to understand what they're doing/getting into is too damn high. Making mistakes is one thing, but I don't believe that it's unreasonable to read over all the necessary details to be able to properly participate in roleplaying. Looking at your own resume, it ought to be easy to see the level of roleplaying you operate on, and it's rather unreasonable of anyone to get huffy if they didn't even try to understand that.

So, Nydanna, my sympathies. If I were to make a recommendation, I would simply suggest you double check whether anyone asking to roleplay with you understands what they're getting into. You shouldn't have to, but it's for the best to avoid these situations.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I have yet to make a profile or fill out my resume because we'll I'm feeling a bit lazy. I have browsed the site, from what you are saying, doesn't appear so. I quite like reading and writing long posts myself.

Personally I always check the roleplay resume and their previous posts before I accept them as partners or asks them if they want to roleplay, because otherwise I'll just end up with someone that's completely wrong and the rp dies after a few weeks or maybe a month.

The problem with some people are that, not only do they not read the roleplay resume, they don't read the posts they're responding to carefully. Just a few weeks ago when I searched for a new partner, someone wrote to me asking if they could join, but when I checked their previous posts I noticed they mainly wrote one paragraph. So I asked if they were comfortable writing more than that, and they weren't. I had clearly stated in my post that I wanted a partner who's comfortable posting at least 2-4 paragraphs if not more, otherwise I'll get bored and the rp will most likely die (has only happened like 50 times before, so what the heck do I know, right?).

I was quite baffled that the person said "Oh, is that a requirement?" It was right there, in plain sight, under the RULES for becoming my rp partner xb Why the heck would I put in rules in the partner searching thread if I didn't search for someone specific that could write a certain way? ALWAYS read the post you're responding too, otherwise the one searching for a specific plot and then get a non compatible partner will get frustrated because they don't get the rp they wanted. There's only so many times one wants to redo the same plot before they give up on finding a good partner for it. Personally I re-reads partner searching threads a couple of times at least to make sure I understood everything correctly, and then I respond if I'm interested.

So yes, I think some people are lazy. If they find a plot they like, or a person that seems like a cool rp partner, they just jump in without caring to check the requirements or if they are compatible with the other person. The reason in some cases are probably because they don't care about others writing style and thus they think that others don't care about the writing style of their partners. While a lot of people have a hard time mixing 7 paragraphs posts with 1 liners posts because one becomes creatively starved and the other one frustrated because they can't deliver, some don't particularly care. And among those who don't care about how the other person writes as long as they can write in their own style there are some that doesn't understand that the person they've chosen as a partner might actually care.

It's good to talk to your partner before you start the rp, make sure they know what you like and don't like. For example:
- I don't want magic in my roleplays
- I can't handle reading or writing first person perspectives
- I want our characters to have a few posts alone before they meet so we can get into their characters better.
- I want a partner that can write multiple paragraphs

Some of these things you can see in their roleplay resume, or in their previous posted threads. If they already write multiple paragraphs, you don't really have to tell them to do so. If they already write in third person perspective it's not like you have to remind them you don't like first person. But things like how you like your starting threads can be good to talk about, especially if that has been a problem in the past for you. Explain to your potential partners that you do this and this for your first few posts so they know what to expect. Every time I notice that there is something that makes a lot of threads die (both when it's me and my partner that leaves) I usually add new requirements or information about my style so that people know beforehand. (Which doesn't help when people doesn't even read the post or roleplay resume properly, but hopefully one can find some people who actually read)

I do bother to read the profiles to coordinate with player(s).

I try to always read the role-play resume. I look at the level, interests, dislikes, and I hope for a writing sample, though not many people include those. I've had mixed luck when trying to play here. Some partners I had really high hopes for. Their resumes looked perfect for what I was looking for, but then once the story starts it all goes downhill.

I've found that when I request partners I get better quality when my queries are specific. I include several of my own plot ideas, ranging from just a basic idea to a fully thought out plot, and I also say what I expect in a partner, and what I'll give. I tend to get better responses that way- I believe- because it saves them from having to read the resume to get a feel for what I'm looking for and what I'll add to the story.

Reactions: DerUbermensch
I try to always read the role-play resume. I look at the level, interests, dislikes, and I hope for a writing sample, though not many people include those. I've had mixed luck when trying to play here. Some partners I had really high hopes for. Their resumes looked perfect for what I was looking for, but then once the story starts it all goes downhill.

I've found that when I request partners I get better quality when my queries are specific. I include several of my own plot ideas, ranging from just a basic idea to a fully thought out plot, and I also say what I expect in a partner, and what I'll give. I tend to get better responses that way- I believe- because it saves them from having to read the resume to get a feel for what I'm looking for and what I'll add to the story.
I will agree heartily on that. What's good on paper may not work in practice.