Does anyone else just want to rant, without discussing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spoilers

Original poster
I feel like there's a lot of times, where I need to rant, to vent. I need to get stuff off my chest, without that stuff being talked about. Usually because when I rant, I'm saying things in the moment. I've never been a violent person in my life, even at my absolute, angriest I still have never lashed out in anger. Yet if I make a rant saying I want to kill someone, people not only take it seriously...they try to lecture me on how wrong I am, how it's wrong to hurt people, and I shouldn't think like that...and it actually just gets me even more upset. It's like "I don't actually want to hurt anyone, I'm ranting in the moment, because my emotions have hit a peak. I don't want to talk about it, I just need to get it out there."

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

I mean... (and I realize I'm totally discussing your rant here *LOL* Irony) -- but ultimately -- if you post something on the internet, you have to be aware that tone is not really apparent to other people, no matter how much it might seem apparent to you. If you post a rant/vent/angry shpiel, whatever... chances are, someone out there is probably going to respond - and if that rant/vent/shpiel happens to have something that is construed as an aggressive threat, well...

Unfortunately, it's just par for the course. Disclaimers help sometimes - just a little note at the top of the post stating it's just a rant and you don't ACTUALLY mean anything you're writing... but at the end of the day you'll probably still get that one person replying who doesn't quite understand context. Only way to avoid it is to avoid ranting/venting in a public forum, really.

Reactions: Shiri
I mean... (and I realize I'm totally discussing your rant here *LOL* Irony) -- but ultimately -- if you post something on the internet, you have to be aware that tone is not really apparent to other people, no matter how much it might seem apparent to you. If you post a rant/vent/angry shpiel, whatever... chances are, someone out there is probably going to respond - and if that rant/vent/shpiel happens to have something that is construed as an aggressive threat, well...

Unfortunately, it's just par for the course. Disclaimers help sometimes - just a little note at the top of the post stating it's just a rant and you don't ACTUALLY mean anything you're writing... but at the end of the day you'll probably still get that one person replying who doesn't quite understand context. Only way to avoid it is to avoid ranting/venting in a public forum, really.

I have no one to rant to in real life.

I have no one to rant to in real life.

I hear ya :) But alas, we can't control what the people on the internet think about us and sometimes things just get misconstrued. Honestly, the best bet would be to avoid using anything within your rant that might make someone go 0_O. Otherwise, you'll just have to prepare yourself for the discussion or politely explain your intentions were misunderstood.

To add on a bit, most places on the internet are pretty anonymous.
Even if you know you don't actually mean that [ X ] should be killed, etc. those are the words that you are saying. Words have meaning and aggressive ones are, well, intimidating in their own right.
Now, seeing aggressive words from someone you don't know, who could very well actually think that [ X ] should have something bad happen to them?What would you think?

Grumpy's diary suggestion is a good one! If just writing out your feelings helps, then a diary will accomplish both that and not alarm other people.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
I can't. I tried the diary route, it's not just about my feelings, ...I need someone else to know how I feel, and hopefully just listen, or provide a sympathetic shoulder.

Reactions: An Otaku
If I see a rant where someone says they want to actually hurt another person... I can't just assume that they're joking, because people do actually go out and hurt other people, even over petty things.

People weren't joking when they said "I wish this fan-artist would kill themselves because they drew Rose Quartz too skinny", or when they said "I'm going to kill this fan-artist for drawing FriskxSans fanart". We live in a messed-up world, where people honestly think it's justified to do this kind of thing to real people. So, if you say you want to hurt someone -- even over something really petty and unimportant -- and you sound serious about it? Especially if I don't know you very well and can't easily pick up on when you might be joking? Then I'm going to say something about it...

Edit: Like others said, though, a simple disclaimer could make all the difference.

I can't. I tried the diary route, it's not just about my feelings, ...I need someone else to know how I feel, and hopefully just listen, or provide a sympathetic shoulder.

Unfortunately, this is difficult to find over the internet - particularly with strangers. You might find occasional sympathy, but most people, when confronted by a rant - particularly if it enters into a territory of violence (implied or otherwise) are going to react defensively. Your best bet would be to rant only to people you trust, or folks you know are going to understand your motives...

Or... like I said before, add disclaimers.

I know how I am, and who I am. I've never been a violent person, and I have no plans to start. I feel weird needing a disclaimer so people get that, but if I have to do it, I guess I will.

Other people don't. They just see a random person online talking about violence towards others.

Context is pretty important.
I give others the benefit of the doubt.

I give others the benefit of the doubt.

Most people don't.

I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but, when it comes to wishing physical harm upon others? Like I said, there are just too many examples of people actually going so far as to do awful things to other people over something as petty as a difference of opinion about fanart. I want to think it's ridiculous that people actually mean it when they say they want to hurt people, but... yeah. To an outside observer who knows nothing about you, it's very very possible that you do in fact mean it.

It's always best to rant to people who know you well enough not to take your threats of violence seriously. I think everyone has had a moment where they've fantasized about something morally dubious. It can be hard to tell if you're serious or not on the net. A quick aside to let people know you're not serious is always a good way to go.

But, yeah, I feel like this from time to time. Not everybody wants to talk about their problems, they just want to vent. Let them.

ADVICE WANTED - Do you feel better after posting your problems online?

I made this thread for pretty much your exact reason. Not inherently about threats of death, but more so the notion that I'm afraid of what people might think if I do say anything.... Yet I NEED to get this crap off my chest and have no one to really do that with.

I've decided to keep internalizing my problems, as per the way of an introvert, until I find the best solution.

ADVICE WANTED - Do you feel better after posting your problems online?

I made this thread for pretty much your exact reason. Not inherently about threats of death, but more so the notion that I'm afraid of what people might think if I do say anything.... Yet I NEED to get this crap off my chest and have no one to really do that with.

I've decided to keep internalizing my problems, as per the way of an introvert, until I find the best solution.

:/ I mean, just because other people don't want to rant online, doesn't mean you have to bottle everything up, if you feel like you need an outlet for stuff...

┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

Meh. Dying inside makes it easier...

On that note, if you don't want to be a lifeless husk, it might be best to rant online regardless of others' perceptions. Long as you put a little disclaimer.

:/ I mean, just because other people don't want to rant online, doesn't mean you have to bottle everything up, if you feel like you need an outlet for stuff...
I was using the threat thing as an example. In all honesty I haven't to my knowledge made a rant where I threatened to kill someone since I was probably 13, or 14, and in those days I was like; "I'm not saying I want to hurt X, but sometimes X makes me so mad, that I imagine hurting them." I say to my knowledge, because I sometimes say things when I'm super tired, and forget the next day, though if it is brought to my attention I will acknowledge, and properly apologize, or explain myself.

I think everyone zeroed in on the death threat, comparison though.

That's pretty much what I've been trying to say, I need an outlet for stuff. I'm starting to think keeping all of my anger in is a much better idea.

:/ Well... I'm sorry if I've made anyone here feel like bottling up their emotions is better than venting.

Here's one suggestion: Do you have any friends on the forum that you can vent to in PMs? That way you won't be hounded by other users about anything you say...

Or... again, you could always just make it clear that you don't actually want to hurt anyone. If you make that part clear, then I don't think I'd have any reason to say anything.

And, if you haven't made any death threats since you were a kid, as you say, then... what exactly has led you to believe that you can't rant without people lecturing at you? When was the last time that you were lectured for something in a rant, and what were you being lectured about, if not threatening to harm someone?

I'm sorry if this comes off as confrontational or anything. I'm just really confused as to what the problem is...

Status
Not open for further replies.