Doctor's Visits/Pharmacuticals, or Folk Medicine/Alternative Healing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stance is; herbals are great for small stuff like cuts, bruises, colds, constipation, but the major stuff like surgery, genetic disorders, cancer, and mental illnesses, should be seen to by a doctor.

But hey, we all dig our graves in different ways.

Jesus Christ. I'm not into alternative medicines, but I may just have to turn to heroine to clear my mind of the stupidity of this thread.

Jesus Christ. I'm not into alternative medicines, but I may just have to turn to heroine to clear my mind of the stupidity of this thread.
Very alternative... no wonder you are passionately eye-fucking the abyss.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a medical professional about a medical issue, and I'd certainly trust any pill they prescribe more than a "home remedy" that you can look up absolutely anywhere.

Not wanting to put "chemicals" in your body is absolutely ridiculous because everything is chemicals. That "natural" stuff that you prefer?? Chemicals. The only difference is that they happen to be chemicals that were found in nature as opposed to chemicals specifically synthesized to do a specific job, even though, many times, they may very well be the exact same chemicals, just from different sources.

And preferring things because they're "natural" is also a ridiculous notion, because, even disregarding the fact that many of them have the same chemicals, there's also the fact that not everything in nature is good for you. Poison ivy is "natural", does that make it good for you? No. Just because something's man-made doesn't make it inherently bad for you. Do man-made drugs have side effects? Sure. But so does a lot of the shit you can find in nature. The only difference is that the man-made stuff comes from medical professionals who at least have some idea of what they're doing -- and it exists for a reason.

Plastic isn't natural, does that mean we shouldn't use it? What about hand sanitizer? Eyeglasses?? I dunno about you, but I don't plan on walking around blind just because eyeglasses are man-made and therefore evil. I don't care if there's some herb I can eat that will supposedly make my eyesight better -- the doctor tells me I need glasses so glasses I shall wear.

And you know what else is man-made but I'm certainly not going after any "alternative" source for?? My ADHD medication. I am honestly so sick of people acting like this stuff is "poison" when it is honestly the one thing that keeps me functioning as a college student. I was a mess before I was diagnosed and really struggling in school, too -- I do not know how I would get through life today without it.

Does it have side effects? Hell yeah, I'm not going to kid anyone there. But it sure as hell beats trying to tell myself that I don't need it and then wasting all my time struggling to remain focused enough to do even the most basic assignments. And I certainly don't feel like re-structuring my entire diet just because some Youtube commenter says that you can "cure" ADHD just by cutting out a thousand and one foods, either. This is what works for me, and I'm sticking to it. You think I could find some herb that would work better?? Well, if it actually does (which I highly doubt) then that would be great, but I'm not switching from one to the other just because it's "natural" -- especially since, if I tried eating an herb, I wouldn't have a doctor to tell me what a safe dosage is, which means I'd have to figure out the right amount just through experimentation -- never mind the fact that some samples of said herb might potentially be more potent than others, meaning that I'm heading into territory that is A) unreliable and possibly not as effective as it could be at best and B) downright dangerous and possibly even deadly at worst.

And again, that's assuming that this hypothetical root even contains the same chemicals as my medication in the first place. If it doesn't? Well, I'd love some verification that it's actually effective -- and, even if it is, there's still all the same problems as before of the chemicals in this herb not being as easy to take controlled doses of and all that.

Oh, and then what about vitamins, huh? Vitamins are great, imo -- especially if your doctor tells you that you're lacking some vitamin in your diet and that you'd feel more energized or avoid other health problems if you had more of said vitamin. And just taking a pill is a lot easier than trying to stick to some diet that will get you more of that vitamin. And, these vitamin pills, they aren't even drugs, really -- they're just vitamins, things that already exist in plenty of "natural" foods and that you can take in pill form just because it's easier.

But I have a friend who really probably does have some vitamin deficiencies (I'm no doctor so I can't say for sure, but, that's what it seems like, given a lot of what she seems to struggle with), but, would she ever take vitamins if a doctor told her to? Noooo because they're not natural. And I should mention, too, that this girl has a lot of dietary restrictions that prevent her from having a very diverse diet, which is not only why I suspect that she probably does have vitamin deficiencies, but it's also why, if she does have them, it would be nearly impossible for her to get those vitamins anywhere else than a pill.

But, she would refuse that. She'd rather suffer from fatigue and muscle aches and all these other things just because it's not natural to get the same vitamins that exist in nature, only in a pill form that she'd actually be able to eat.

Oh, and this is also the same girl whom I've seen lying in bed with the worst period cramps, practically unable to move -- but does she want to take any painkillers?? Nope, she'd rather lie in bed and have an unproductive, pain-filled afternoon where she can't do fucking anything except moan and feel sorry for herself, because taking a pain-killer is unnatural.

And even if there were any common side effects from pain killers (which I for one have never experienced), I highly doubt that it would be worse to suffer through than that much pain. I'd rather have an effective treatment with a minor side effect than an inneffective treatment with no side effects any day, because at least then I can actually solve the problem that I'm trying to solve.

Sorry for ranting, but this is something that I do indeed feel very strongly about. If you really want to avoid man-made treatments just because they're man-made then fine, that's your decision. I think it's a stupid decision and I'll list out the reasons why there's no need for you to suffer instead of getting real treatment, but, at the end of the day, that's your decision and I guess I can't stop you -- but if you dare try to make me or anyone else feel bad about getting man-made treatments for anything, then no, no no no, you can just leave us alone and enjoy your roots and snake oil, but there's no reason why we can't get actual treatment for our illnesses as a doctor prescribed.

OH, AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE WHOLE ANTI-VAXXOR MOVEMENT. GET VACCINATED, ALL OF YOU. Unless you have an actual medical condition that prevents you from getting vaccinated (which some people do have) then get your vaccines. Because even if you don't think you're putting yourself at risk for disease, you're still putting other people at risk. Those people who can't get vaccines like I mentioned? They'd be fine if everyone around them is vaccinated. That's called herd immunity, and it works. But when you suddenly have people who aren't getting vaccinated just because it's "not natural" even though that is no good argument at all, then, well, even if you don't get sick, those other people very well could -- and you could be transferring measles and other nasty shit that vaccines practically made extinct up until now to all sorts of possibly very young individuals who could very well be seriously affected by it.

Just... do what your doctor says, stop going for "natural" when there's no reason for it, let those of us who do take real medication do so in peace, and for the love of all things good and pure that are left in this world, get vaccinated.

[/rant]

Last edited:
I have seen vhat "real medicine" can do, one of my friends' parents becoming a poisoned-shell of himself, thru Chemotherapy. Lost all hair, lost most of his eye-sight, can barely walk. Yay for chemicals!
...Ok... yes... chemotherapy has some fucked-up side effects... but... you know what else is fucked up? CANCER.

And I don't care what sort of alternative cure you try to give me -- I would much rather take chemotherapy than cancer.

Yeah, I know that I'll probably lose my hair and be tired all the time and probably some other things, but those side effects all seem kind of small when dealing with caaaaaancceeeeeer. e_o

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
*Peeks into this thread*

llamanope.gif

As someone who has spent the past few weeks studying medicine and reading medical journals and running pill solubility tests a science fair project, I have to say that I'm taking the doctor.

Someone with methods that have been tried so many times on various types of people from all walks of life, and has taken an OATH to help you and to not harm you.

I'm not drinking gasoline or Draino or something to cure a stomachache just because Billy Bob who's lived without Western Medicine for years told me to! I'm taking Ascetylsalicilic or however you spell it Acid. Something Hippocrates himself recommended. (Boil willow bark. Willow bark has Salicin, the active ingredient of Aspirin.) If I have meningitis, I'm not shoving a stick up my butt to drain the fluid. I'm going to get a spinal tap. I will use folk medicine for something like a runny nose or something, but anything more than that, and Western Medicine is where I'm going.

...Ok... yes... chemotherapy has some fucked-up side effects... but... you know what else is fucked up? CANCER.

And I don't care what sort of alternative cure you try to give me -- I would much rather take chemotherapy than cancer.

Yeah, I know that I'll probably lose my hair and be tired all the time and probably some other things, but those side effects all seem kind of small when dealing with caaaaaancceeeeeer. e_o
So... you wuld rather choose betwen 2 evils, one very marginaly lesser then the other, then see a acupuncture master who can revitalize the energy flow thru the diseased part of your body, and cause the cancerous tissue to heal it-self vithin a month? O...k.... your call girl. Enjoy the agony and pain.

So... you wuld rather choose betwen 2 evils, one very marginaly lesser then the other, then see a acupuncture master who can revitalize the energy flow thru the diseased part of your body, and cause the cancerous tissue to heal it-self vithin a month? O...k.... your call girl. Enjoy the agony and pain.
Prove it.

Tried acupuncture for a pain in my shoulder. Pain was gone for a day, came back as soon as I put it to use after said person told me it was fully healed.
Tried a chiropractor. "Oh hey, you pulled it. Give it some heat to relieve pain and let it heal. Two weeks." He had to raise a brow at me trying acupuncture, but warned me against taking any of their advice.

Modern medicine, tested, tried, and true. Folk medicine, still being used in third-world shitholes where people die during childbirth constantly.

Hard to pick. I think not.

Prove it.
^^^ Yeah, this.

Because "enjoy the agony and pain" is exactly what I say to people who avoid medicine that is proven to work just because it isn't natural.

We can easily say the same thing back to each other about anything we could possibly be seeking treatment for. Only difference is, the real medicine has scientific backing to it. Yours doesn't.

Also, cancerous tissue doesn't really need "healing". The whole idea of cancer is that those cells are kinda... doing just fine, actually. Too well, really, dividing out of control and all that. So, there isn't really anything that needs healing, per se -- but there are out-of-control cells that need killing. That's the idea behind chemotherapy -- problem is, it kills more than just cancer cells. That's why there are so many nasty side effects. Thankfully, though, people are working on fixing that. Because, you know, that's the thing about modern medicine -- it actually improves over time as scientific breakthroughs happen. That's why it works better than it did hundreds of years ago.

As for the whole "revitalize the energy flow" thing -- not only do you have no scientific backing for that, but, even the part that you did explain just doesn't make a ton of scientific sense, given how cancer actually works, sooo...

Also, an addendum to my thing:

Don't drink Draino at all. Even if Billy Bob tells you to.

You'll die almost immediately.

That is all.

Also, an addendum to my thing:

Don't drink Draino at all. Even if Billy Bob tells you to.

You'll die almost immediately.

That is all.
There's a scene of someone doing that in Supernatural, if memory servers.
There's also a 'cancer cure' that does the same thing. It's called Black Salve. Folk medicine is fucking scary and dangerous!

As someone who's lost people to cancer after months of struggle, the mere suggestion that it's not big deal that fucking acupuncture could have solved is beyond offensive.

They didn't die because medicine couldn't save them. They died because cancer is goddamn insidious and it's an incredibly lethal disease that sometimes can't be stopped.

I sincerely hope you don't have to face a relative suffering a long, painful death because you're going to get slapped with the reality of losing someone you love and be left wondering why pseudoscientific bullshit couldn't save them.

Tried acupuncture for a pain in my shoulder. Pain was gone for a day, came back as soon as I put it to use after said person told me it was fully healed.
Tried a chiropractor. "Oh hey, you pulled it. Give it some heat to relieve pain and let it heal. Two weeks." He had to raise a brow at me trying acupuncture, but warned me against taking any of their advice.

Modern medicine, tested, tried, and true. Folk medicine, still being used in third-world shitholes where people die during childbirth constantly.

Hard to pick. I think not.
Yes you probably seen some fraud vho trys to cash-in on the myths. Those are plenti-ful, especialy in the West, primarily in the first-world GMO poisoned shithole called the USA. Real practitioners of chakric healing are few. Choose beter next time, and not one from a flashy net-page. Or better yet, go to the source, and find the real deal. In Thailand, China, Tibet or south India.

Prove it.
Sorry sweety. I'm not a acupuncture master, so I cant prove it. I'm just a practitioner of Hatha yoga, and a martial artist who has a passing knovledge of acupuncture, and vho has spent a year and half training in China and geting to know the right ppl there. Big diference.

There's a scene of someone doing that in Supernatural, if memory servers.
There's also a 'cancer cure' that does the same thing. It's called Black Salve. Folk medicine is fucking scary and dangerous!
Yeah, First episode of the Third Season. That's actually one reason I said it, since I just watched that episode.

Reactions: Windsong
Yes you probably seen some fraud vho trys to cash-in on the myths. Those are plenti-ful, especialy in the West, primarily in the first-world GMO poisoned shithole called the USA. Real practitioners of chakric healing are few. Choose beter next time, and not one from a flashy net-page. Or better yet, go to the source, and find the real deal. In Thailand, China, Tibet or south India.

Sorry sweety. I'm not a acupuncture master, so I cant prove it. I'm just a practitioner of Hatha yoga, and a martial artist who has a passing knovledge of acupuncture, and vho has spent a year and half training in China and geting to know the right ppl there. Big diference.
Let's see...
  • Licensed in his homeland of China.
  • Had been doing it for 45+ years.
  • Was training his son and daughter to carry it on, like his father did him.
  • Been in practice for decades here in my state.
  • Glowing reviews from staff where I work.
You look so ignorant when you spew like that. Keep it up. It's fun not being the target!

As someone who's lost people to cancer after months of struggle, the mere suggestion that it's not big deal that fucking acupuncture could have solved is beyond offensive.

They didn't die because medicine couldn't save them. They died because cancer is goddamn insidious and it's an incredibly lethal disease that sometimes can't be stopped.

I sincerely hope you don't have to face a relative suffering a long, painful death because you're going to get slapped with the reality of losing someone you love and be left wondering why pseudoscientific bullshit couldn't save them.
I'm sorry about your loss. But I speak vith FULL conviction, that your loved one culd have been saved, vith what you call "pseudo-scientific bullshit". And I dont remember saying ANIWHERE that its not a big deal.

Let's see...
  • Licensed in his homeland of China.
  • Had been doing it for 45+ years.
  • Was training his son and daughter to carry it on, like his father did him.
  • Been in practice for decades here in my state.
  • Glowing reviews from staff where I work.
You look so ignorant when you spew like that. Keep it up. It's fun not being the target!
Ok, looks you have all the details on the guy, I'm sure you can link his site, home page or something? If he is that well-known. If I see proof of vhat you just writen, I may buy it.

And trust me, I dont mind at all being the target :) Just proves my long-standing point how most ppl refuse to think for them-selvs, and just accept the "trends".

Status
Not open for further replies.