Do you think sensitivity is almost as much a disorder as depression?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Holly&theVampires, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I'm sensitive. I get shaky. I have nervous bowels. I'm also quiet some times. I observe. I see people. I see them do shitty things to each other day in and day out. It's the sensitivity. It just bugs me. So much so that in my own interactions with people, I over-analyze. If something upsets me, I get way too emotional about things.
    What is it like to be balanced?
    Do you think sensitive people are more likely to have depression and actually suffer ?
    I dunno. I suffer.
  2. I am one of those people. If I am asked a question I wasn't prepared for, or something outside of my predicted outcomes box, I go blank and get the nerves real bad. I hate watching the news because it's stupid and upsetting. And I have had major battles with depression!

You suffer as much as you LET yourself suffer. You have to learn the difference between what you are doing to yourself that's harmful, and what is outside of your ability to control. Don't waste time dwelling on things that are beyond your bubble, or on people that have no real affect on your life! When something is hurting you, you have to sit down and really think about the ways that you can change it, and then put forth the effort to make it happen. Obviously not everything can be an immediate fix and it can take years to pull yourself out of a depression. But it's something you have to work for!
  3. Sensitivity is not a disorder... It's all part of personality. Sensitive people don't always suffer, you know. I am terribly sensitive and introverted, but I don't look at it as a flaw. It's just the way I am. Sensitive people are compassionate, emotional, responsive... We react more strongly and quickly to all kinds of changes. These reactions are negative sometimes, however they can also be positive. There are those "If you cry, I'll cry" situations, for example. If you can't be the strong, emotionless type for your broken friends to lean on, you can be the one who cries with them and takes the time to understand them. Your sensitivity is a half to someone's whole, too. My relationship is a good example of this. My boyfriend is stronger than me emotionally and physically. I can lean on him when I need somebody to cry on. Equally, he can rely on me to understand when he too is hurting. :) That, my dear, is balance. If you yourself can't be a balanced individual, you can be with others.

It can be connected to disorders, like anxieties and depression, which I also have but refuse to let control me. Whenever I feel embarrassed, or like I'm going to cry, or I feel an anxiety panic attack coming on... I look to some coping skills I've developed and invented. Chewing gum or sucking on a hard candy helps. So does toying with a rubber band. Breathing exercises help, too. Just take steady deep breaths, count them as you go along. For a full minute, if you can.

Don't look at your sensitivity as a bad thing, because it will become a bad thing if you let it. You've got to learn to live with who you are.
  4. Sounds more like aniexty then sensitivty and you should speak to a doctor about it. It could get worse and annoyingly cripplingly unless you find a distraction or deal with it. Mines is knitting and art. Feel better!
  5. I am super sensitive as well, which can really drive people crazy, and it doesn't always help me much either. I have to agree with the distraction factor. Put feelings aside and involve yourself.
  6. It really is a matter of learning to identify and define what's going on in your own head. Meditation and breathing exercises helped me in this regard. There are times, say when two people are talking at me in addition to the background noise of tv and an additional conversation, when my brain just becomes overloaded with the input. Bright lights added to the mix only heighten the sensation of anxiety. But the reality is I cannot always retreat to my room, and even a public bathroom is still public. So I found a way to center myself when I became overloaded. I totally understand the watching people treat each other the way they do...but you have to realize that people cross boundaries in even the best friendships. You cannot let it warp your ability to trust or to speak up for yourself. You'll end up in a pretty lonely place. So to answer the question...sensitivity itself is not a disorder, if anything it's a blessing that you perceive the world differently. It does however intensify the things you do experience, can heighten anxiety and deepen depression. Ultimately though, it's about breaking your thought cycles and creating an opportunity for positivity.
  7. I, like the majority of the people in this thread, also have sensitivity issues. It can range from me doing something wrong and completely freezing up when people get onto me, all the way down to crying during a toilet paper commercial. I don't consider it a negative feature at all. In fact, I think it enhances my experiences throughout life. I have frequent bouts of depression, but they're coming around less and less as I age and learn to make myself happy. I'd like to talk about the positives and negatives of such, and the ways you can come with the problem.

The positives, of course, can be really hard to see when you're not with others, or in a relationship. At one point, I needed other people to be happy. I had a horrible dependency issue. Being told that you can be independent works for a while, but you generally need to be shown that you can be that way. I was in a relationship, and my partner was intentionally abusive at points to teach me lessons. For example, she wouldn't talk to me for a week. When we finally started to talk, I would be so worried about what happened whilst we couldn't talk. She then asked me if I was alive, and all I could say is yes. After two years of that, I considered myself very well off. But this isn't about me :p

The positives of being sensitive mainly come out around others. Sensitive people are the best people to talk to about your problems and situations, whereas emotionally strong people are the best matches for sensitive people. Sensitive people can see things in lights that emotionally stronger people can't. When you're sensitive, you're not only sensitive emotionally. You're sensitive to touch, smells, sights. They effect you far more than they do others. Unfortunately, this also includes the bad things you feel or hear. Just remember that being sensitive is both a curse and a blessing. Viewing it as a blessing makes you more comfortable with it, and helps you understand how great of a person you are. It's very closely related to things like fortune cookies, where if you're optimistic and believe the fortune will happen, it will every day for the rest of your life.

Of course, there are some major negatives to being sensitive. Like the positives, these also revolve around others. Most people who aren't sensitive don't understand sensitive people. They might make fun of you for being sensitive by calling you a sissy or crybaby. The truth of the matter, though, is that they are also uncomfortable with who they are and you should never feel lessened by them. As a sensitive person, however, you will likely be effected by their words. This can lead to some depression, but remember, it's because you're LETTING it lead there. Chin up, it'll be okay.

These negatives and positives can be greatly empowered by large crowds or groups. Try to avoid the negative groups and stick to the ones that are supportive. "But Explicit, what if my family is the negative group?"- Well, that's a much more difficult situation to pull off. Finding a group of close friends can seem almost mandatory, and it will pull you away from your family a bit. You have to remember, though, they just don't understand. Ignorance must be forgiven, though! They are your family, after all. People who grow up with a family of negative people are either very weak or very, very strong. Again, this depends on how you look at your life. Be optimistic, stay chipper. It'll be okay!

Now I'd like to talk about a few things that people do to cope with sensitivity - or anything that causes stress, really. For years, people all over the world (and possibly you as well) have been doing things that they can't shake for some reason. These things come natural. Some are good, some are bad, but there's one primary result: stress relief. Sensitivity can cause stress, which can lead to the depression as well, or can help other sources to lead you there. These are just a few things that help people relieve their stress and their other issues.

Defaults - Everybody has one. Whenever you're extremely stressed out, you revert back to a default. This isn't a bad thing! In fact, it's likely the only thing that will keep you from being even more hurt in the long run. My default is writing sex stories. I've done it since I was very young, and it has developed into something I do regularly. The most important part is that I do it for fun now, and not just to relieve stress! Of course, this default could also be something negative, such as a nail biting habit. I advise you to find some other default to rely on, but I can't judge at all. I, too, have stumps for finger nails.

Fixations - Another thing that almost everyone has. Fixations are things that you enjoy doing to the point of them relieving stress and causing you to be relaxed. This can include: Hair Fixation - running your fingers through hair, playing with your hair, nibbling your hair or brushing your hair. Often your own hair.; Smell Fixation - Things like wrapping coffee grains in a paper towel so that you can smell it. Some people are very receptive to smells.; Oral Fixation - Things like chewing gum, sucking on lollipops, or basically anything to do with your mouth.

Sexual Activity - This one isn't great to get addicted to, but it can be very fun to be addicted to. It's self explanatory, and includes things involving others or just yourself.

I really hope that the things I've said here help you out. Remember, if you have any problems, you can always send me a message. I love hearing about your specific problems, so I can help you deal with them individually. Also, I'm not a REAL mental health doctor, but I really suffer from these same things. I've made it past them, so I know that others can in the same or similar ways. All the best to you :3