Do you think roleplaying ships gives you the inner workings of a person?

Astrometry

Best rper ever!
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
All the time.
Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Prestige
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Horror, Action, Romance, Adventure, Drama
When you have been roleplaying for a long time, and I mean like over 5+ years you notice small things about roleplaying that you would not necessarily call "bad" but it could be considered a bad thing to be that vulnerable to a person. For example, let's say I roleplay with a person and and our characters fall in love and while our characters ARE NOT US AND COULD NOT BE. I watch their relationship grow and wonder if this could be a deeper part of the person that I am roleplaying with somehow? Either some of their insecurities, their deep emotions or feelings that are easily spread out through characters. I think through roleplaying you get to know a person on a deeper level without asking the questions.

Yes, I know that IC =/= OOC and our characters are NOT real but are none of your characters a sliver of your personality or reflection of yourself? I have a calculating, dark-hearted villain who has a lot of issues with control. While I have control, I do have parts of me that is very hard-hearted and there are tropes of characters I have issues playing without a deeper meaning I can relate to. I have a hard time relating to "Genki Girl" trope. I'm not saying we are all just playing our insecurities and such, but I think we are all a part of our characters in a way and by roleplaying with a person you can see that PART of that character that belongs to the player(this only works if you are friends with them though.)

Does any feel the same way?

I have one character who is very like me in manner, temperament, and personality, but I only play her with a very close friend for the very reasons you have sited. She is a very personal reflection of me and though she's not me, and isn't real sometimes her circumstances bring me to tears. However, that said, most of my characters are nothing like me. I try to push myself to create people who are far more dynamic and adventurous than I myself am. And I get very emotionally invested in their lives as I play them against another or a group. They even seem to speak to me and direct their decisions and I am just the fingers to type it all.

I can't say I've ever wondered if the other typist was putting their personal feelings into a character. You can get yourself into all kinds of entanglements that way, and when I first started Role playing about 22 years ago I made a LOT of mistakes in that regard. Hard lessons but valuable ones for sure. I almost always become friends with the people I write with though, especially here. So many wonderful people with so much talent.

I"m not sure I answered your question. lol. But ah well, there you have it.

I think everyone does it to an extent, that's why many of us want to be writers in the future and tell our characters stories. Some part of characters, even evil ones, are part of us, lol.

I feel like I've been roleplaying long enough to see a lot of differences between me and my characters. Idk if I am complex enough to be able to spread my own personality traits and history into all of my characters lmao.

In my personal opinion, I write the stories I want to hear. I want to read the story about the complex relationship between a closeted married man and his secret lover. I want to explore how a romantic relationship with a cannibal would work. I want to expand universes and create demons that I think are interesting. I don't know if there is any part of me in these stories?

My own personal story isn't something I feel like I need to relive. I don't put characters through what I've been through because,, I know this story already ?? Although, there are parts of me that I do use in plots. For example - I'm an LGBT community member, I prefer to see characters who are lgbt because I want to read those stories. However, not every one of my gay characters has been through the struggles I have been through because I know the world experienced in the same way lmao. I don't write evil characters because I want to express my darker thoughts, I do it because they're always an interesting topic, and I want to see if I can write a story from a perspective I've never seen before.

TL:DR - I don't feel the same way bc I am more interested in a diverse perception of the world than I am my own self.

I feel like I've been roleplaying long enough to see a lot of differences between me and my characters. Idk if I am complex enough to be able to spread my own personality traits and history into all of my characters lmao.

In my personal opinion, I write the stories I want to hear. I want to read the story about the complex relationship between a closeted married man and his secret lover. I want to explore how a romantic relationship with a cannibal would work. I want to expand universes and create demons that I think are interesting. I don't know if there is any part of me in these stories?

My own personal story isn't something I feel like I need to relive. I don't put characters through what I've been through because,, I know this story already ?? Although, there are parts of me that I do use in plots. For example - I'm an LGBT community member, I prefer to see characters who are lgbt because I want to read those stories. However, not every one of my gay characters has been through the struggles I have been through because I know the world experienced in the same way lmao. I don't write evil characters because I want to express my darker thoughts, I do it because they're always an interesting topic, and I want to see if I can write a story from a perspective I've never seen before.

TL:DR - I don't feel the same way bc I am more interested in a diverse perception of the world than I am my own self.

I'm not saying that you are your characters, but that you character is a sliver of you somehow. You can fulfill all these characters because you might have X trait that helps you make the mold. I think playing characters online is similar to how actors act for characters. I used to roleplay a lot of Harry Potter characters, none of which are like me, but characters I tended to roleplay had some traits that were very easy for me to fulfill already. I can play Hermoine and I can play Draco, I can play Voldemort and I can play Severus. These are all very different characters, not even mine, but the same still applies.

I dunno man I've killed way too many of the characters I've played over the years to feel super attached or connected to them.

I dunno man I've killed way too many of the characters I've played over the years to feel super attached or connected to them.

How much time did you spend creating them? I spend a lot of time with that and I dont throw them to death unless it has a good reason. Some characters I have had for years, like 12 yrs or more than I roleplay.

Some of my characters have a characteristic of me. Sometimes they have characteristics I wish I had. Usually it's a bit more exaggerated though. One of my characters is the personification of my silly happy side. Another is angsty and brooding. Some are stoic and strong. Or nerdy and gentle. But you would have to decipher between the ones that have a part of me and the ones that are only what I wish I could be. An easier method to get to know me would be to say 'hello'.

Many of my creations over the last decade or so possess pieces of myself, and personality. Some merely small fragments while others exponentially more so. However, a lot of them are just over the insansely top versions of certain traits I may have, or ones that alternate universe "me's" would likely have with aspects of themselves I'd ideally love to possess, yet can not due to a number of reasons.

With that being said only one as of yet has been the closest variation to an "inner me", but unfortunately he is in-active from play atm. There are not many roleplays that would suit him outside of a specific type 1x1.

Some of my characters have a characteristic of me. Sometimes they have characteristics I wish I had. Usually it's a bit more exaggerated though. One of my characters is the personification of my silly happy side. Another is angsty and brooding. Some are stoic and strong. Or nerdy and gentle. But you would have to decipher between the ones that have a part of me and the ones that are only what I wish I could be. An easier method to get to know me would be to say 'hello'.

Ahaha i know you <3

Reactions: Quetzal
Many of my creations over the last decade or so possess pieces of myself, and personality. Some merely small fragments while others exponentially more so. However, a lot of them are just over the insansely top versions of certain traits I may have, or ones that alternate universe "me's" would likely have with aspects of themselves I'd ideally love to possess, yet can not due to a number of reasons.

With that being said only one as of yet has been the closest variation to an "inner me", but unfortunately he is in-active from play atm. There are not many roleplays that would suit him outside of a specific type 1x1.

I guess that is the fun part of roleplay, isnt it? Do you think a person could get to see your different traits through your characters?

I guess that is the fun part of roleplay, isnt it? Do you think a person could get to see your different traits through your characters?
Very much so in regards to both your questions.
There are quite a few reoccurring traits of mine that the bulk of my characters display. Just how much depends on the roleplay, but remain prevalent nonetheless.