Do you like your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FieryCold

Original poster
It's time for one of these threads again. What does your name/username mean? Do you like it, and if not, what would you change it to?

I was named after a Greek deity, and my surname means "guardian of the mountain" in English, which I find pretty cool. I wasn't too fond of it as a kid, but now I've learned to appreciate it.

My username, on the other hand--well, I like it, but people tend to spell it wrong way too often, which has more than once made me consider changing it, haha. I've grown attached to my username though, so I probably will keep it regardless.

My name is actually some random Chinese village word that doesn't exist in the dictionary. Does that mean I don't exist??? Well, at least it's one of those Chinese words that most non-Chinese can actually pronounced, it's just weird and I don't really like it.

My English name is a normal name but spelled super weirdly so no one gets that right either.

So I like to stick with Sen. Easy to say, easy to spell. It means 'thousand' in Japanese, makes me feel big af. I lub it.

I love my name. It completely embodies who I am. I won't, however, share the meaning, as it gives away my name and I cherish my privacy. I love it though. I love it very much and I won't ever change it.

My username means "island" and I won't change that either. It has become my /official/ alias and will probably be my alias forever and ever. Plus, I guess it kind of says why I love Hawaii? I have no clue.

Reactions: FieryCold
My real life name: The name Justin is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Justin is: Just; upright; righteous. Form of New Testament Biblical name Justus.

Which means I'm pretty straight forward and respectful. Which I am xD. When I want to be.

My username has changed over 100 times... literally can just check for yourself lol. But this username I really love.

It basically means I'm obessive and addicted to myself... or the name Justin xD. And it can look like I'm saying I'm just an alcoholic if you read it fast xD. The X emoji thing is just something I like putting on everything and the double spaces for each letter is just another thing I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: King and FieryCold
My real name is pretty popular and has versions in all three Abrahamic religions. I personally like my version best, but obviously I'm biased. I love my name, and I'm super grateful that my parents named me that as opposed to something stupid. I'm actually not sure of what the meaning is, though.

As for my username, well I gave that story twice, but what the heck, I'll give it again. :D I was joining Fictionpress and wanted a name quick, but I had no clue what. I spotted my wakom Bamboo and picked Bamboo... Except it wasn't available. Soo I added Green before it.

It didn't take long for people to call me Greenie after that, and I liked it, lol. It sounds friendly and approachable. So since then, I keep the same nickname. It works too; almost all my clothes tend to be green, and I really do like the colour green as well.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAA

I have exactly 5 letters in my full name and no non-Chinese-speaking person can pronounce it right on the first go.

So in the end, I use a name that most people can pronounce right.

Every time I have a new teacher for my class, this conversation has to go down.

Teacher: uhh, zin? Sin? Zing? Cross-ing?
Me: uhh I prefer [insert my preferred name]
Teacher: Ahh okay!

For every...fucking...subject... =_=

My actual name is basic as hell, so I can't say I'm too fond of it, but my friends never call me by my name. The last time they had ever even said my name is when it's that single dropped word to express how exasperated/disappointed you are in someone. Ya feel? Now if you're talking about my username, I'm crazy over it. It's cute and has a nice ring to it, not to mention I can get a nickname out of it that still sounds girlish. uvu I'm the only Vivian on Iwaku and that makes me feel mighty special.

My real name isn't going to be outright shared, but it's a unique name that some people may understand if they know my birthdate. Hint: it makes me feel holy. (jk jk) Yeah, being a Christmas Eve baby is interesting. Most people don't really know the Hebrew word anyway, and my middle name gets mistaken for Marjorie a lot. Margaery is actually a closer name.

I guess it's an okay name, but I get called by my nickname more often than not irl anyway... My first name isn't really called out...

As for my username that's been my online moniker for years, well, I've gotten attached to it. It was really just a way to shorten my previous username, but I like how it's short and simple. *shrugs*

My real name, I'm not too fond of. It just sounds clumsy, and strange. Though, of course, I can't exactly change it either.

I am, however, fond of the fact that my last name literally translates to Hill. Well, not exactly hill, but it's the best equivalent.

As for my username, I used another one for a while before joining Iwaku. Wanting a fresh start, I typed in four loosely related words into the "Username" box, and boom. Here I am.

My real name is said to have been derived from a famous Scottish clan. It was originally a male name, and over time has become a name for women. It doesn't matter to me. It's a good, strong name.

I like my username. Adopting it marked my acceptance of a nihilistic worldview. People tend to overestimate their value. I accept that I am, in some respects, living pig feed. It's humbling.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
I have no real connection to my legal name. It's a common name with a not so common spelling but really I have no feelings about it whatsoever. I wish I cared about my name, but I don't. It's actually a little funny because my birth name isn't my current legal name. While all these trans people are laboring on about picking the "right" name, I was like "fuck it" and just did the path of least resistance, which happened ot be a shorter version of my birth name. And the deed was done.

I do somehow feel like I want to be called J (Jay?) but never took to asking people to call me that, so I guess it will never actually be my name (or even a nickname, lol).

My username online has been SQ, Q, Bornes, and Vardoger (Vars). Vars is newest. I've gravitated away from SQ because it reminds me of things I don't particularly like about myself. Q is meh whatever. I've had it the longest and I don't have any bad feelings toward it. Bornes I associate mostly with furry stuff. I do stuff in the furry community but I don't really consider myself a furry. People have called me Bornes irl since that's the name they met me with online and I don't correct them but honestly I don't particularly like being called it irl. Might be moreso do to the furry connotation than the name itself.

Vardoger/Vars I'm pretty ambivalent to. It's a norwegian word I cannot for the life of me pronounce correctly. So I have been reading it in my head as English and it sort of stuck. It's a mouthful either way though so people end up calling me Var or Vars. Which I am ok with online but in real life th eonly people who have ever had "Vars" as a name seem like total assholes so I don't know if I like being lumped in with such a negative name! Px

tl;dr names. I don't put much stock in them.

I like my real name. It is my lucky charm~ or supposed to be. My parents were one of these traditional people that name their kids after their wishes. Their wish for me was that I may be eternally lucky.

Though, a lot of my relatives mistake my name to mean: graceful. Which I like less. Some non-Asian also mispronounce my name to that. I will just take it as a compliment, even though I know I'm not.

My username is a longer story. TL;DR: it is a joke, because I'm a know-it-all.

My first name is one of the most common names of my generation and I hate it. I have many a nickname which I much prefer!

However, my last name is my favourite! It's super uncommon and there are only a couple other families with it. Most people can't spell it so I'm forever spelling it out for people but I'm the only only with my first name and last name 8)

My username is a shorter version of my usernames I use on social media - (anyone who has me on skype knows who I am lmao) I also like it as just King, because my theme is Moriarty and he's a king and I think it fits. I also like that it's short and nice 8)

My first name had a HUGE boom just after my birth and has a bunch of new "hip" spellings that drive me crazy. It's all right, though, I have never hated it but grown to like it more over time. It has a long history but is most recently considered Irish and Ireland was one of the places where the locals seemed to take a shine to it and tell me that it's a nice name, so that was kind of cool.

My last name is amusing to me because it means something in the country that it comes from, but something completely different in the country where I live. The latter is better, I think. Even if it's kind of a strange last name to have here.

My username is something of a nickname from my first name and has kind of stuck with me over time.

My real name is Stefan. I don't hate it nor hate it.

My username is an abbreviation of the username I first had. It's alright, but also kind of meh.

I like my real name, my mom named me. I am pretty certain it's a common name but that's fine.

My username is Elvish, Nina. I chose it because I had a character in the way beginning of my time roleplaying named Nina. She was an elf.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
The tl;dr of it is -- I don't like my legal name.

"Kaga", though? I like Kaga. Kaga feels like... me. Lots of people IRL actually call me Kaga because of this.

My actual name (which is Corethra)..... I don't think it has a meaning XD I mainly hate that people have a hard time pronouncing and spelling it correctly >:( Damn it!

My username was derived from InuYasha (Sacred Arrow) and the Warrior part sounded cool so I went with it :) I was like 13 when I came up with it sooooooo yeah......

My real name is an uninteresting english name that means valley. I think. As for how I feel about it; I'm neutral.

My username is both a reflection of the constellations I like, and a joke. Dipper is also easy to remember. I mean, who's going to forget the name Dipper?

My real name...yeah, i'm not sharing it, but what sucks about it is that some antagonists in some works, or plain rude people, they have my name. It makes me afraid that anyone who knows my name is gonna assume i'm a selfish guy, but i'm not...I mean, if that makes sense. I would be happier with my real name if it wasn't for this reason. That's why sometimes I like my nicknames better...

Status
Not open for further replies.