Do you like your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nj06guQnce1t3xksao1_250.gif

Most people do not pronounce my name correctly. I even had one person argue with how my name is spelled and pronounced even though A. It is the normal spelling B. I use my name everyday, I know how to say it.

My name means 'fame in war'. It is a Latinisation of the names Louis, Lewis, Luis, Luigi, Ludwig, and so on (traditionally Latinised Ludovicus or Chlodovechus) (taken from Google because fuck you I'm too lazy to write this shite out on my own).

My name's actually not hard to pronounce... but everyone still pronounces it wrong ^_^ I don't mind though.

I'm pretty darn careful in how I pronounce others' names however.

I used to hate my name. My hatred was probably more about who gave it to me than the actual name, but now I'm fine with it. Left in it's long form I don't think it quite suits me, but shortened it works great.

My name is Dean, which I don't think has any profound meaning. Dad says it just sounded cool. I like it just fine because it does sound kind of cool and I was the only kid in elementary with the name.

My last name is an unpronounceable mess I could do without.

My name has nice roots inspired by my male parent's family, etc. It's not a hard name. But people always want to spell it the "new, trendy" way. And a few years after my birth, that trendy spelling apparently became the "basic white girl name", judging by what the internet tells me.

I like it well enough, though. My middle name is similar fashion but the spelling is more steady.

My last name is something of contention in my family. The first born son had the "first born son" name passed along for generations. I shouldn't even have the last name, but I didn't get take the last name I should have and ended up being the youngest member of the family with it and only member of my generation. Things happened and my generation has no boys with the name. It's always been a bit of a big deal to my grandfather, etc. It kind of makes it feel tiring.

I used to, but not so much anymore. I'm embarrassed by how I spell my common name, but it's kind of too hard to change now. I was nine when I decided there were too many other Katies in my class, so I was gonna be cool and change it! So I changed it to 'Kayti.' And my mother let me. Alas.

My full name is Katrina, which I'm using more and more the older I get. Otherwise I just try to go by 'Kat.'

I do. People pronounce in ways they think is right even after I tell the correct way. All in all yes, I love my name. I would never change it. It is what makes me, me.
Oh I forgot, I haven't looked to see whether my name means anything. At this point I don't think I will.

Literal meaning of my name: Laurel
There are several versions of the myth, but the general narrative is that because of her beauty, Daphne attracted the attention and ardor of the god Apollo (Phoebus). Apollo pursued her and just before being overtaken, Daphne pleaded to her father, the rivergod Ladon, and Ge (Gaia)[2]​ for help. So Ladon then transformed Daphne into a laurel tree. In Metamorphoses by Roman poet Ovid, she is identified as the daughter of the rivergod Pineios in Thessaly.[3]​ At the Pythian Games which were held every four years in Delphi in honour of Apollo, a wreath of laurel gathered from the Vale of Tempe in Thessaly was given as a prize. According to Pausanias the reason for this "simply and solely because the prevailing tradition has it that Apollo fell in love with the daughter of Ladon (Daphne)". Daphne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Literally what happened:

My father:

Oh she is cute, I like the name!

5ac7b9263b1e4562af89ef1f3aecf518.jpg

My mother:

Oh, she's currently my favourite author, I like the name!

17899948.jpg

My grandmother:

OMG WHAT KIND OF NAME IS THIS IT IS HORRIBLE I WILL NEVER CALL HER LIKE THAT, IT'S A HORRIBLE NAME AND I'M A BITCH YELLING AT YOU 10 MINUTES BEFORE YOU GIVE BIRTH HORRIBLE NAME!!! CALL HER ALEXANDRA!!

And so my first name is Daphnée (fancy Frenchy) and to please my crazy grandmother, my second name is Alexandra.

My maternal last name is acadien, I have no idea if it means anything, and people pronounce it wrong all the time in English. It should be pronounced "See-rr" and not "S-y-r" >_> My paternal last name is pretty common (think Star Wars creator haha) but once I get married I'll legally have it removed (since in Canada/Quebec, you do not take your male spouse's name).

Last edited:
My name is Sarah. I don't mind it, but it's really common. In high school there were 4 girls in my class with the same first name, countless others in the school, and at least two other kids in my grade with the same last name (although I spell mine differently). This one girl I hated had the same last name as me and a first name that rhymed with mine. Ugh.

My middle name is Roxanne. My dad got to pick it, and my mom always hated it because she thinks it sounds like a prostitute name (like the Sting song). I also had an unofficial second middle name given to me by my older brother, who was a toddler at the time. I hated it with a passion as a preteen, since my mom would either say the whole thing when she was scolding me, or talk about it to her friends. I would get so mad and embarrassed, but I don't mind it as much now especially since I'm on better terms with my brother.

Do I like my name? Eh. I don't really care in truth.

My name is John. Bland, generic, but easy.

If I wasn't in the U.S., then I would like it. But, since I am, I don't.

I have a Spanish name that has a really nice meaning outside the U.S., but inside it's been much more of a problem for me throughout my life. I got made fun of as a kid, no one could say or spell it (it isn't even hard to say or spell), and I'm starting to think because few can say/spell it I get my resume passed on for potential jobs.

It's also a very feminine name and I'm androgynous.

About two years ago I changed my name. It isn't legal yet, but I initial my first name and use my new name as a nickname. I feel much more comfortable with my new name. It fits me very well and people can say it. Spelling...not so much! But, that's always easier to correct.

Even when I was a tiny kid, I was never comfortable with the name my parents gave me. O_O I was always trying out other names. About 4th grade I discovered Diana and I have been Diana ever since. The only people that dun call me Diana are my parents, grandparents and old school bestie.

I love my name. Its originally for menfolk, but is commonly used for girls now. I love it when cultures do that. xD

My full name means "Messenger of God" and I hate my first name.
I AM NOT AN ANGELA. I AM ANGIE. :P
I would definitely change my last name because I want to marry my boyfriend~
A lot of people would call me "Shitman" instead of "Shipman" and it really aggravated me.

okay, my actual name, though... is a misspelling of a greek goddess, well part. The other means warrior, essentially. Pretty cool.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

My name is pretty cool. Means Champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like my name for two reasons. One, I hate how it sounds when I say it, and two, it has the unfortunate inconvenience of giving me the initials PP.

Oh, also, it's a name taken straight from the Bible, which, given my atheistic viewpoint, isn't very fitting.

I'll be foward.
First names don't hurt, but don't any of you make calling me by mine a habit. I'm not a supreme major member of the site, despite technically being here since 2011.
I'll disown any and every last one of you.

My name's Kendal.
One fuckn' L! Not spelled Kyndall, Kendall, Kendell, or the many other ways people spell my damn name.... Phew... It's Ken for short. No Idea where the nickname K-dog or Kikkun came from nor why it's applied to me.
Everybody that I happen to not be related to nor in class with will call me Ken.
I call me Ken.

No that's not what the K in SerK+ is, that was just mere happenstance.
OR FATE.

No, That's not why I like the letter K either.

No, that's not why "Kascarde" starts with a K either.

No, that's not why I love Berserk.

To be honest I wouldn't care much about my name if every Kendal in pop culture wasn't "Kendall" and weren't people I would never associate myself with in a positive light.

*Cough*Jenners.

*Cough*that Big Time Rush thing.
Note: I actually thought it was big time run. whoops. Thanks Google.

I hate the nicknames I get.
Matter of fact I'll make a small list of things I've heard.
Ken doll.
Candle.
Ken doll.
Campbells.
Ken doll.
Can.
Ken doll
Kindle fire.
etc.

But especially Kindle Fire.
Chicks love calling me that. I don't know whether that's why it annoys me or not.

I do however like that I can say "Beyond your Ken" and feel like a clever ass.

I however don't like how my first and last name combination forces me to be reminded of Britain, despite me not being British.

But seriously, fuck Mattel for naming their single most popular male doll Ken.
You know what though. I was almost named Sterling.

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
Status
Not open for further replies.