Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
It's officially Spooktober and I am hyped for it. I'm sure some of you are as well. I thought I'd kick off the month with a topic about the spookiest of genres — horror. Horror tends to be a polarising genre and I'm curious to see the various takes and opinions among Iwakuvians. Do you enjoy horror as a genre? Are you an avid participant or do you only dip your toes in once and a while? Are there only certain styles or subgenres you enjoy? Do you have a favourite subgenre? If so, which one?

Have some favourites you want to share (or want to see what others are into)? Check out Spooky Media Favourites.

I'm a scaredy cat :( I hate horror movies, especially since they often incorporate triggers of mine as horror. I have a fascination for pixel/rpg maker horror games, something I've always liked since I was younger (mostly because they aren't realistic enough to trigger me too hard) though! Ib, Witch's House and Mad Father are all classics <3

I'm one of those people who hates horror. Just can't stand it. But it's not bc I think there's anything inherently wrong with the genre. @Astaroth once told me something rather good about how the horror genre displays human nature, but I'll let him tell you his thoughts on that himself, and I do think scary things have their place in storytelling and society. But there's something about horror specifically, and that sort of creepy, not-quite-of-this-world quality they have that captures the imagination in a way that doesn't work for me, because I've always had near crippling levels of irrational fears. I tell ppl thrillers don't bother me as much, because the villains of those are usually bound by the laws of reality. A home invasion serial killer is incredibly scary and taps into our subliminal fear of safe spaces being violated, but at the end of the day a serial killer is a human being who needs a way to get into your house and may eventually get caught by police. A GHOST on the other hand is both scary, and IF it exists (I don't personally believe in ghosts, but I'm not going to discount the possibility entirely), might be impervious to everything and be able to go through walls. If I THINK too much about that sort of stuff on average, I just get paralyzed in my day to day (again primarily due to my crippling levels of irrational fears). But I think there is something about the general air of creepiness that makes it stick, regardless. My husband decided to show me Sweeney Todd, for instance, and the ambiance was so creepy, that I could not stop thinking about it, and now will not allow him to get shaved at a barber's, and can't go near a chicken pot pie, even though I LOVE those. [Also I just generally can't deal with rotting flesh. Legit the main reason certain ghosts are worse than others, and I can't do anything zombies at all is bc I just cannot deal with rotting flesh.]

I love horror. LOVE it. Horror and romance are actually my two favorite genres, and @firejay1 remembers me talking about why I really vibe with horror in particular.

Extreme situations, terrifying situations, dark situations really highlight who a character is when it comes down to brass tacks. What human nature is at its core. Not just because of the dark stuff, but what light comes out of the dark. Horror shows the worst and best of people. As someone whose main investment in stories revolves around characterization, this is my bread and butter.

It's hard to pick a favorite subgenre, but I tend to like psychological and supernatural more than slasher stuff unless it's a horror comedy.

I'm a scaredy cat :( I hate horror movies, especially since they often incorporate triggers of mine as horror. I have a fascination for pixel/rpg maker horror games, something I've always liked since I was younger (mostly because they aren't realistic enough to trigger me too hard) though! Ib, Witch's House and Mad Father are all classics <3

Oh and because I forgot, yes, Ib and Witch's House and Mad Father are all A+

I have a love hate relationship with horror movies 😂 I love watching them but hate the aftereffects of being scared shit less for a month 😂 doesn't stop me from watching them tho, my sister and mom and I have always watched them

The worst one though was The Grudge, that movie scarred me for years. I'm still afraid of showers/baths and staircases

I LOVE Horror... but I can't watch certain kinds of horror. >_> The special effects these days are TOO GOOD on these supernatural horrors and those scare me the most. I can fight a serial killer, I can't fight a damn ghost curse.

I would love to read more horror, but I don't keep up with reading enough. 😂 AND I LOVE TO WRITE IT.

I love horror, but I'm super picky with the horror I engage with. I don't really enjoy slasher movies and movies that are just a bunch of people getting tortured in disgusting and brutal ways, nor do I like jumpscares. I find both types of horror rather cheap because they don’t actually say anything. Like, yes, watching people get cut in half is disgusting; I would never have thought of that, thank you! And jumpscares are extra cheap because they just rely on startle instincts. I also don't like horror that exploits real-world trauma.

Still, it's a great channel through which to discuss different cultural and societal anxieties in creative ways that most genres don't allow. Gothic literature is very much the same in that respect, which is why it's another favorite of mine. I particularly love stories that focus on things like existential and cosmic horror that make statements about the nature of the universe.

I always thought I'd be one of those horror haters, but then I realised that the thing I hate about horror are the JUMPSCARES and the slasher types. Once I figured that I started to dabble into horror again where I found I actually find it mightily interesting to find what scares authors, or what terrified their peers in large. It is a fantastic reflection of our reality. I haven't dabbled into it too much and am still very much a beginner, but I do greatly enjoy reading and writing it. Watching horror still not so much, because tv likes to make their screens super dark, or add in jumpscares or sudden flashes, or super gorey and I just can't take it a lot of times.

I love Horror, whether watching, reading, or writing it, despite always being scared afterward. don't judge me

I appreciate horror as a genre and all the craft that goes into manipulating people's emotions into being frightened.

I can't always do horror, mostly because I get myself too tense and worked up waiting for the next scare and I just can't function.

I love horror, mostly I'm a sucker for ghost stories. Its what scares me the most cause you don't see the threat, or if you see it there's very little you can actually do about it. In some stories exorcism is an option, in others it doesn't work. xD

Stuff like saw and other more torture/body horror is pretty fun, very rarely scary but I like when people get creative with it. Final destination is also a fun type of horror, even if its not scary it can be really fun to see how are they gonna die next.

nightmare on elmstreet and wishmaster are some of my favorites. I do like some horror that uses our technology. Like the japanese horror series one missed call where people get phone calls from the future hearing themselves die.

I'm not a big fan of slasher horror. friday the 13th, halloween and those types tend to make me bored. I'm not a huge fan of monsters either, vampires, werewolf and those types of monsters don't really scare me. I prefer to see them in young adult fiction where its not even about horror x'D I'm a sucker for monster romances.

I'm not a fan of reading horror stories, which is odd since I read a lot!
The biggest reason is because oftentime they add too many words. I oftentime feel like the scary parts are too few and whenever there are scary parts I get taken out of the moment because now we gonna be stuck in the MCs head to know everything he's feeling while the ghost is on pause. I did read one YA horror novel recently that actually did an EXTREMELY good job at the ghost scenes. They were very quick and they felt like they went in the tempo it would have had if it was on TV. My brain never had to pause the scene because some unnecessary information was interrupting it and except for a very small note about the MC being scared, most of her actual thoughts were taken AFTER the event was over. It had a great flow and I was geniuinely scared while reading it.

In anime I do prefer more gory stuff, it just makes me happy with lots of blood. shiki was really good both storywise and gorewise.

I can't watch Horror on movies, series, or even games (but man, I love Ib, the Witch's House and Madfather). I am a huge scaredy cat when it comes to them. HOWEVER, I love reading Horror stories, ghost stories, and even write horror scenes. I also love music with Horror elements. I don't know why, maybe because there's a difference between reading it and coming up with your own imagery vs. watching it happening right in front of you. (Then again, I wasn't allowed to watch Horror movies until I was 14, rip). I think it's because movies rely a lot with gore and jumpscares-- which I hate. I'm squeamish with gore, even if it's animated. Jumpscares just give me heart attacks and they stay in my mind for a long time. I can't sleep afterwards e.e Possession movies also scare me.

I have a big respect for Psychological Horror and creeping terror type of movies/series. Something like Doki Doki Literature Club, where everything looks normal, but you feel like something is wrong. I feel like it captures the sense of unease very well, and when everything start going down, you are legitimately disturbed.

I loved reading Edgar Allan Poe since Middle School and in college, I started getting into H.P Lovecraft. Gothic is my favorite literature genre and recently I got into Southern Gothic. Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been is one of the very few stories that made me feel terrified. I've been into Junji Ito's stories too. Other Horror mangas I love is Bizenghast and The Dreaming.
Shiki, Blood+, and Another are my favorite Horror animes.

Haha, no! I like sleeping at night. Especially since I live in an old building.

I love Horror, and everyday is Halloween. :ghost:🖤