Do you fit Characters to the World, or the World t

Character tailored to the world, or world tailored to the character?

• Character is tailored to the world

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • World is tailored to the character

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other which I will explain in the comments!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minibit

Returned from the Void
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
When worldbuilding, do you usally have a character or ten in mind, and build a world consistent with what you've made up for them, or do you start with the world, and build a character out of that info?

Characters fit to the world, always and forever. Tailoring worlds to fit characters has never felt right to me, because I prefer the top down method. If I have characters in mind that I want to use in a given world then I might make sure they can fit within the broad parameters of the world without too much tweaking, such as making my magic system allow animating corpses if I want a necromancer, but that's about as far as I'll go with it. If I get a cool world going and it turns out one of the characters I had in mind won't work within it, I'm more likely to axe the character than to change the world.

Reactions: Minibit
Most of my worlds come from the characters first. I'll get an idea for a protagonist or protagonist-group, and from there, develop a world around them. Often, I'll have multiple distinct protagonists, look for similar themes, and then try to meld them into a single continuity. However, all supporting cast members and antagonists will typically be created after the world is set in place.

I guess I'm just mostly a bottom-up worldbuilder. I have one very specific idea I want to use—often a character—I look at other compatible ideas—to attempt to better limit the number of worlds I create, so that there is some hope that I'll get around to using them all—and I develop a world. Once I reach the top, I use a top-down method to solidify it, and retcon anything that no longer fits.

The few rare world that I develop without any cast in mind are typically experimental. For example, a world I created after reading a particular page on TVTropes. They tend to sit there, abstract and soulless, as I strive to perfect their system and find a use for them.

Reactions: Minibit
Status
Not open for further replies.