1. The server transfer is complete, but there is a known issue occurring with posts lagging when they are sent! We apologize for the inconvenience. A fix is underway, so please bear with us.

UPDATE: The issue with post lag appears to be fixed, but the search system is temporarily down, as it was the culprit. It will be back up later!

Do you fit Characters to the World, or the World t

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Character tailored to the world, or world tailored to the character?

1. Character is tailored to the world

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. World is tailored to the character

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Other which I will explain in the comments!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When worldbuilding, do you usally have a character or ten in mind, and build a world consistent with what you've made up for them, or do you start with the world, and build a character out of that info?

2. Characters fit to the world, always and forever. Tailoring worlds to fit characters has never felt right to me, because I prefer the top down method. If I have characters in mind that I want to use in a given world then I might make sure they can fit within the broad parameters of the world without too much tweaking, such as making my magic system allow animating corpses if I want a necromancer, but that's about as far as I'll go with it. If I get a cool world going and it turns out one of the characters I had in mind won't work within it, I'm more likely to axe the character than to change the world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Most of my worlds come from the characters first. I'll get an idea for a protagonist or protagonist-group, and from there, develop a world around them. Often, I'll have multiple distinct protagonists, look for similar themes, and then try to meld them into a single continuity. However, all supporting cast members and antagonists will typically be created after the world is set in place.

I guess I'm just mostly a bottom-up worldbuilder. I have one very specific idea I want to use—often a character—I look at other compatible ideas—to attempt to better limit the number of worlds I create, so that there is some hope that I'll get around to using them all—and I develop a world. Once I reach the top, I use a top-down method to solidify it, and retcon anything that no longer fits.

The few rare world that I develop without any cast in mind are typically experimental. For example, a world I created after reading a particular page on TVTropes. They tend to sit there, abstract and soulless, as I strive to perfect their system and find a use for them.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.