Do you commission art of your characters?

I just did a huge update to my art request/character list on Gaia (lots of freebs available there!). I discovered I have a LOT of characters who need art!

I just did a huge update to my art request/character list on Gaia (lots of freebs available there!). I discovered I have a LOT of characters who need art!
Man, I feel like I have a lot of Gaia dosh, but then I remember that 12 billion probably isn't very much now.

Yeah, most art on there for sale is at least 25bil. I hang in freebies. I'm just a poor ho. I have no cashmoney!

Yeah, most art on there for sale is at least 25bil. I hang in freebies. I'm just a poor ho. I have no cashmoney!
I don't actually know how much I have, just that I have a lot of high value items from old cash shop items (is that what it's called)? I'll have to take a look. :O

Ah. I've got some of those, too, but I tend to be a hoarder. I may sell some doubles for art money, though.

"Total inventory Worth: ~250,278,180,444 Gold"

Well... I could try. P:

"Total inventory Worth: ~250,278,180,444 Gold"
NlHr81y.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Fox of Spades
Total inventory Worth: ~524,642,555,238 Gold

Mine's only high because I grabbed a few items from my old account, and a friend gave me a few shinies. :x I hesitate to sell gifts because... well, they're gifts!

Do you guys have some characters you prefer and/or use more often than others?

Indeed I do. My Nism couple, Thoee and Deen, along with their daughter Honalee and (recently) their newborn son (well, actually, he's a few weeks/months old, depending).

Do you commission art for any of your characters?

Unfortunately, no. Except... well, I have a slot open, put down $5 a number of years ago for artwork by the writers/artists of this comic. Because, well, I think you can see why. That, and the fact they very rarely open themselves up for commissions. Still waiting for my slot to open.

If you do or don't - why?

Like others here, it's a matter of funding.

Do you draw your own characters?

Nope. Wish I could, but my talent is with words, not pictures.

If you commission art, how large is your collection, how long have you been at it, do you have any favorite artists or pieces you'd like to show?

Yes, I do:

DisneyInspiredDeen_Sketch.png

Only picture of Deen I have showing his forehead badge, done in Disney/101 Dalmations style.

DeenPOSEPRACTICE.png

Shows how a male Nism's shroudruff "works". (*needs more feathers... gotta keep the Little One warm*)

ThoeeDEEN_zip_1.png

Deen sometimes says things he shouldn't, according to Thoee... she still loves him, though.

Faces_1.png

Deen being Deen... minus his forehead "badge".

Detour.png

A comic based on an RP with the artist. My aerosquirrel character, Tiffin, and her flying squirrel/former Cupid character, Amee.

EveningStroll_1.png

And this wonderful piece, done as a gift, a complete surprise, based on the future of our characters' lives. Best artwork I've ever received, along with...

RiseToIt_2-1.png~original

Where you see that flower lies the grave of Tiffin's first love, Khee. Absolutely beautiful image.

Oh, I also have my namesake, Roose (done by a different artist):

Roose2.jpg

How obsessed are you with your original characters?

Not obsessed at all. But I do enjoy getting art of my characters, so others can better visualize my critters. Whether my creations came from my dreams, or just popped into my head, I love growing their lives and histories. So, unlike some here, I re-use characters all the time... I have many I've never used. And my imagination is always open to more.

I just got a really awesome piece of four of my oldest characters!

8acff12bb20713fd661579ce6e288777116f8d51.png

Reactions: Fox of Spades
I would if I had money.
If you can get yourself some good references, try hunting for freebies. A lot of what I get is freebies, because I'm usually broke as hell. 8D

Reactions: Rainjay
All of the artwork I showed was freebie, from online/RP friends. Problem I've run into is freebie artists who "promise" but don't deliver. I've made quite a few requests here, most yet to be delivered, if ever. Would love to connect with a GOOD artist here who would be willing AND ABLE to draw my critters. Have one lady who fell in love with my Nism (we're RPing a 1x1), but the art she's done she wants kept private... doesn't want her work possibly stolen. So I have respected her request, and will not be able to share what she's done.

All of the artwork I showed was freebie, from online/RP friends. Problem I've run into is freebie artists who "promise" but don't deliver. I've made quite a few requests here, most yet to be delivered, if ever. Would love to connect with a GOOD artist here who would be willing AND ABLE to draw my critters. Have one lady who fell in love with my Nism (we're RPing a 1x1), but the art she's done she wants kept private... doesn't want her work possibly stolen. So I have respected her request, and will not be able to share what she's done.
I mean... it is free art. These artists are taking time out of their day to draw things for you - for free. Sometimes shit happens and they can't follow through, but it's not like they've taken your money and not delivered. I think of free art as something nice that might happen, but if it doesn't, that's fine too. Artists aren't getting paid for it. I don't blame them if it isn't their priority. If you want to guarantee that your art gets done, pay the artist.

I was just giving an example... indeed, free art, but, as you've said, you may or may not get it done. Risk you take. Mood just said most of her stuff was freebie. Just letting Rainjay know what can happen. By example.

I was just giving an example... indeed, free art, but, as you've said, you may or may not get it done. Risk you take. Mood just said most of her stuff was freebie. Just letting Rainjay know what can happen. By example.
Fair enough, friend!

Yeah for sure, freebie art is a gift of time and effort. You've gotta be grateful, even if it doesn't happen, or you aren't really pleased with the result, I think. Sure, it feels bad to be skipped or ignored, but artists don't have to do freebies at all.

The tricks to getting freebies fairly often are pretty simple:

1. Make your every interaction positive and respectful where you're asking for art. Really, this applies to everywhere.
  2. Most freebie artists don't like working from written descriptions. Try to find one or two images that really show the character's visual design, and include maybe two sentences to cover body type and personality, if they vary from the images.
  3. Be grateful. Even if they draw your anorexic character obese, be thankful to them. You don't have to use the image, but the artist took the time to draw for you.
  4. Pay close attention to step one and three, because they'll help with step four: Work hard on gaining a positive reputation. On large sites, it might go unnoticed, but just do your best anyway.
  5. If you want a lot of freebies, find a site with a large community of RPers AND artists. Iwaku's not quite there yet, but it does have lots of talented artists.
  6. Some artists like hit and runs, some like you to stay and chat. Pay close attention to their rules and how they act.
Those have worked really well for me every time I've gone out to request freebies on sites like Gaia and Recolor.me.

I generally have one artist I go to for most of my characters, given I like a more unified, consistent style. Sometimes I get transparent fullbodies, and sometime full wallpapers at 1080p, if I have the funds. We're good friends, so we know how to work with each other. I'd love to go for one of the more expensive artists at some point, but everyone prices in USD and I'm not wealthy LOL.

Linking to some of my character pages on the Manaverse wiki, you can see the fullbodies in the boxes on the right:

Azzan Dmitryus - Manaverse Wiki
Judas Numidius - Manaverse Wiki
Jack Evans - Manaverse Wiki

Ordered oldest to newest. These are all drawn by Timber, who's a great artist and generally an cool girl once you get to know her.

Reactions: Vardoger
@GlassTrinity
Haha, thanks XD

I see talk of gaia goin' on here x'D
Somebody actually told me that my stuff could sell for 1-2 tril or higher in auctions x'D
My last auction that I held was rather unsuccessful, and only went for about 100b, but life happened and I had to refund before I could start the art OTL

And I completely forgot to reply to the original questions, the Obsession one, specifically:
How obsessed am I?
Way too much.
My characters literally have more of a life than I do, lol
I cherish them more than I cherish myself XD