Do we have a right to privacy?

S

Seiji

Original poster
Personal privacy is, to me, one of the most important rights of a human being. I find it difficult at times, however, to rationally articulate why that is so, especially in the face of such arguments as: "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

In other words, why should anyone have privacy? What logical grounds do I have to, for instance, refuse the government to search my house, unless I have copious amounts of cocaine and dead hookers lying around?

Do we have a right to privacy?

The argument that if you've done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide is ridiculous. On that logic, to a little more extreme degree, I could own full on naked pictures of whoever I want and distribute them as I please. After all, you've got nothing to hide, right? Again, this is on an extreme level, but the point still stands. You give anyone long enough time under surveillance and you'll find something to imprison or blackmail them with. Also it protects us from abuse by those in power, even if we aren't doing anything wrong at the time of the surveillance. We seek privacy when we go to the bathroom, sing in the shower, have a private conversation, or just reflect by ourselves. What people are arguing when they say you have nothing to hide, is for the allowance of people in power or in charge of said surveillance to be allowed to watch you when you are only seeking a simple human dignity.

I believe privacy keeps us sane. I believe that it's absolutely important to maintain that right or we lose our dignity, our respect, and our humanity.